Who's still playing their Wii?

Started by c0ldb33r, 11/06/2011, 12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoobs88

We played some Super Smash Bros on Friday night. My buddy hadn't unlocked Mr. Game & Watch (my favorite character) so I was forced to try out some new characters. If it weren't for that game, the Wii wouldn't see much play.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

munchiaz

I use my Wii for netflix, and all my other Wii games get played on the Wii U now

BlueBMW

The wii is a cheaper way to play gamecube games in 480p since wii component cables are cheap compared to gamecube ones.  For that use alone I suspect my Wii will get a little bit of use...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Tatsujin

I absolutely never played the Wii.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Just dance 2014, DDR something still played at our home. Lots of fun.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

yoyo

Quote from: RoyVegas on 01/14/2014, 01:56 PM
Quote from: yoyo on 01/14/2014, 04:24 AMI'm right there with ya, I haven't even touched mine in ages.
I surprised my kids with one right after launch.  I took the day off just to scour the town and find one for them.  Managed to stop at a Best Buy right as the truck pulled in with some.  Hooked it up and left it running for the kids to see when they walked in the door from school.  They loved it for about a few months then never turned it on again.  It sat until my mom (shes in her 60s) saw it and wanted to try Wii Fit, so I gave it to her.  Took it over her house, showed her how to work it and it's never been turned on again since then. It's been YEARS since it's been turned on.  Maybe I'll give her a call and see if she's still using it... lol
Lol yep that seems to be a common fate of the Wii, I wish there were more that kept me attached, it's the only Nintendo console I have that just doesn't get the love the rest do. Even my Gamecube gets more love, it probably helps I have the GB Player attachment installed (plugs into the bottom and you can use GB/GBC/GBA games to play on your TV, provided you have the disc that came with it). Wii just didn't have that particular charm that caught me from Nintendo consoles, sadly.
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
IMG

RoyVegas

Quote from: RoyVegas on 01/14/2014, 01:56 PMIt sat until my mom (shes in her 60s) saw it and wanted to try Wii Fit, so I gave it to her.  Took it over her house, showed her how to work it and it's never been turned on again since then. It's been YEARS since it's been turned on.  Maybe I'll give her a call and see if she's still using it... lol
UPDATE: I was wrong. Mom uses it for Netflix, on a regular basis, so she'll be keeping it.  :lol:
All is well. :)

yoyo

Quote from: RoyVegas on 01/16/2014, 01:29 PM
Quote from: RoyVegas on 01/14/2014, 01:56 PMIt sat until my mom (shes in her 60s) saw it and wanted to try Wii Fit, so I gave it to her.  Took it over her house, showed her how to work it and it's never been turned on again since then. It's been YEARS since it's been turned on.  Maybe I'll give her a call and see if she's still using it... lol
UPDATE: I was wrong. Mom uses it for Netflix, on a regular basis, so she'll be keeping it.  :lol:
LOL, well at least it's good for somethin' there!
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
IMG

GMO

I play it on a regular basis thanks to Neutopia

IrishNinja

I did, but having picked up a GC component cable for a decent price last year, it's currently unplugged - WU plays Wii games just fine, and i miss the homebrew scene but that's about it.  also, didn't wanna bump the other thread but the TG16 games leaving VC (presumably over licensing issues) is always shitty to see, sucks for future generations but at least i'll have my physical stuff.
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86
IMG
IMG

esadajr

Apart from the great Wii games, it's a great emulation box. I just fired it up the other day to try the Sega CD emulation. Genesis Plus along with Wiimednafen allow me to put less stress on my CDX and DuoR respectively.
Gaming since 1985

fernandeath

I'm thinking about playing the Wii again to play Nec games in it.
I already have a few ones but I'm thinking about expanding it.
Unfortunatelly the Wii U's VC is not as assorted as the one for Wii =/

wildfruit

I have 2 consoles set up atm my tg and wii. I use it mainly to play cube games in rgb as cable was much cheaper than cube one.

InfraMan

I haven't used my Wii at all since getting a Wii U a few months ago... I do love that little system, though. It gets a lot of (legitimate) flak for its good game to shovelware ratio, but when it's good, it's REALLY good.

Can you imagine trying to amass a complete Wii collection? That would be absolute madness  8-[

jtucci31

Quote from: InfraMan on 04/04/2014, 10:23 AMI haven't used my Wii at all since getting a Wii U a few months ago... I do love that little system, though. It gets a lot of (legitimate) flak for its good game to shovelware ratio, but when it's good, it's REALLY good.

Can you imagine trying to amass a complete Wii collection? That would be absolute madness  8-[
How many Wii titles are out there? And are they still making them?

esadajr

At the very least, it's still a great emulation machine. Pretty much everything before the 32bit systems is emulated nicely.
Gaming since 1985

IrishNinja

man, i'm still buying games for my wii - just found Pandora's Tower new for $20 at a nearby gamestop, and Ultimate Shooting Collection is awesome as well, thought most of what i play there is Radirgy.
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86
IMG
IMG

Ninja16608

Quote from: c0ldb33r on 11/06/2011, 12:13 AMI haven't used my Wii in forever.

In fact, we bought a new entertainment center, and I left my PS3 and 360 still hooked up, but actually opted to pack up the wii as I never use it.

Anyone else in this boat?
Been packed up. Now after reading this I might have to pull it out and play some Final Fantasy and Castlevania on it :-). The games for the Wii are alright but I'm not crazy about the controls, just like turning the stick sideways and playing platformers on it :-)

InfraMan

Quote from: Ninja16608 on 04/14/2014, 10:18 AMBeen packed up. Now after reading this I might have to pull it out and play some Final Fantasy and Castlevania on it :-). The games for the Wii are alright but I'm not crazy about the controls, just like turning the stick sideways and playing platformers on it :-)
I think the controls work great for some games, like the Metroid Prime trilogy or No More Heroes, but they really do feel tacked-on and pointless in a lot of them. I 100% agree that turning the remote sideways for platformers is awesome, though... it feels like I'm playing a super-fancy NES :D

munchiaz

i may start playing some Wii sports again. The boxing is a good workout if you get into it, and im trying to lose some weight

Bernie

A Wii, a TB Hard Drive.....and game on.  Best emulation machine out there, and easy to install Wii games to HD from disc.

Ninja16608

Quote from: Bernie on 04/14/2014, 07:18 PMA Wii, a TB Hard Drive.....and game on.  Best emulation machine out there, and easy to install Wii games to HD from disc. 
Is the TB HD a bought add on for the Wii or will any old HD with usb work?

esadajr

Any hdd which doesnt go to sleep should work just fine. I recommend making two partitions, a Fat32 one and a wbfs one.Wii games manager is a great tool to format in wbfs and managing the hdd games.

Sent from my Sega Gamegear
Gaming since 1985

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: IrishNinja on 04/11/2014, 03:33 PMman, i'm still buying games for my wii - just found Pandora's Tower new for $20 at a nearby gamestop, and Ultimate Shooting Collection is awesome as well, thought most of what i play there is Radirgy.
I'm still buying games for it, too. Just got Mushroom Men and Fragile Dreams the other day. Mario Kart, DKCR, TvC, 007, Okami, all quality games that I haven't finished yet and still play.

Ninja16608

Quote from: esadajr on 04/20/2014, 06:50 PMAny hdd which doesnt go to sleep should work just fine. I recommend making two partitions, a Fat32 one and a wbfs one.Wii games manager is a great tool to format in wbfs and managing the hdd games.

Sent from my Sega Gamegear
Awesome, I have a 2 TB drive,  going to give it a try. I have only bought NES games for the virtual, do they have turbo button control on the Wii or are we stuck in PCE non turbo pad mode?

Neorebel

I still play my Wii. I do mostly use it for the virtual console games through component. I have most of the TG16 games I bought back in the day on the original format now, but those and some other systems have games I cannot afford so it's fun playing them in this form on my Trinitron CRT

Ratix

it doesn't get much love but its still hooked up. since its now a dedicated dos machine.
dosbox runs extremely well now with the games i play on it so im set.
IMG

GohanX

Have you tried any of the Wing Commander games in dosbox? Playing WC 1 or 2 on the tv would be ridiculously awesome.

Ratix

nope i haven't. If the game you want running is for a 386 and 25mhz or less it should run perfectly. I can say that some games surprise me that they even work.
IMG

blueraven

Damn. Haven't seen you on on years, Ratix.

I just recently sold my Wii to my neighbor and he gave it to his kids. I don't miss it much.

JoshTurboTrollX

I can't really say I play around with the Wii very often.....

I like the Xbox and Ouya for most emulation/homebrew stuff and they both work great with our home network.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Ratix

Quote from: blueraven on 06/20/2014, 01:11 PMDamn. Haven't seen you on on years, Ratix.

I just recently sold my Wii to my neighbor and he gave it to his kids. I don't miss it much.
that was probably the best option to do for the wii. at least someones playing it now.

on another note i've got mixed feelings for a few emulators on the Wii.
Wiimednafen works nice but has issues
WiiEngine worked great for the titles that i had put on there and even got the cd games to work but only one game worked and it was the closest i've gotten to having the cd image emulated.
hugo-wii had some sound issues with some games but had incredible speed.

it feels incomplete in terms of hucards though and thats sad. but i can't really bitch because i just play the damn games.
IMG

khog143

I just found a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles on the cheap at a garage sale, so I booted up the old Wii.  For all the commotion that game caught about being really good, I am super meh about it thus far.  Probably will just use it as trade bait or something here in the future.

o.pwuaioc

Yeah, Xenoblade wasn't very impressive to me, either. I can see how it appeals to a certain demographic would have then hyped it and wanted it to be released in the US, and that hype spread. I am not sad it was released here, but I myself wouldn't have been bothered if it had stayed in Japan.

Mishran

I recently traded my Wii even up to a coworker for a Vita, so no more Wii for me. The thing was used for nothing more than a Netflix boxfor years, so figured I'd trade for something I'll actually play.

Ayce

Yeah, my Wii is packed up in the box sitting behind my TV. I've been thinking about just doing a soft mod on it... maybe I'll play it again.

SuperGrafx

It's been ages since I've even played the Wii.
Boxed it up some time ago, which is a shame since I did have YS 1 &2 and Monster Lair for it

PixyJunket

I still play mine (through the Wii U though), it's got a great library of hidden gems.

I need to replay The Last Story soon (or finish where I left off, at least) as well as Pandora's Tower.
Drink Craft Beer and Play PC-Engine.
Compile, Westone and Falcom.

TR0N

Any time i want to play a wii title it's through the wii u now.Since it up scales any wii game through it.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

munchiaz

Quote from: TR0N on 12/23/2014, 01:38 AMAny time i want to play a wii title it's through the wii u now.Since it up scales any wii game through it.
This

esadajr

it's hooked up to the power outlet but haven't touched it in a few months
Gaming since 1985

Medic_wheat

Honestly with the WiiU being backwards compatable with Wii games I don't see any reason the Wii will continue in my set up once I get a WiiU.

So for now I just focus on getting some of the Wii games I am still missing in my library.

I have lots of games but I always seem to be missing some of the more mainstay games and oddities I feel are worth picking up.

Last weekend I was tempted to get "the calling" but at $30 I passed. I am missing most of the horror games for the Wii. Both silent hill games and a few others.

Only recently got the metal slug anthology for the Wii.

wildfruit

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/28/2014, 11:15 PMHonestly with the WiiU being backwards compatable with Wii games I don't see any reason the Wii will continue in my set up once I get a WiiU.

So for now I just focus on getting some of the Wii games I am still missing in my library.

I have lots of games but I always seem to be missing some of the more mainstay games and oddities I feel are worth picking up.

Last weekend I was tempted to get "the calling" but at $30 I passed. I am missing most of the horror games for the Wii. Both silent hill games and a few others.

Only recently got the metal slug anthology for the Wii.
Don't delay, get a wiiU today!

esadajr

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/28/2014, 11:15 PMHonestly with the WiiU being backwards compatable with Wii games I don't see any reason the Wii will continue in my set up once I get a WiiU.
Homebrew and GC compatibility.
Gaming since 1985

Medic_wheat

Quote from: esadajr on 12/30/2014, 10:46 PM
Homebrew and GC compatibility.
I don't do home brew as it is just a way to play emulate stuff and struck the built in OS of the system

I have like three GCs so having a Wii (with GC compatibility) isn't of any use either. Especially when I like to use the GBA player that the GC has available and the Wii can't do/use.

I would suspect that eventually the more "rare" and expensive Wii's are the early ones with GC comparability or maybe MAYBE the more recent mini Wiis that are striped down for their small size and that they are selling very poorly. 

I might actually buy a new sealed Wii mini when they are n clearance for like $40. But at $99 new it is still not worth the money.

ClodBusted

What I find kind of sad about the Wii Mini is that it only supports Composite Video on the AV out, no more component, S-Video or RGB. I wonder if the signals are still present on the chip or somewhere else on the PCB?

Due to the lack of online connectivity and SD card slots, there's no way to download the official Skyward Sword Update channel, so patching the "Song of the Hero glitch" isn't possible. Well, one USB (of two, but without ethernet adaptor compatibility) port is still there, so there might be a way to hack this thing?

EvilEvoIX

That Wii Mini is severely handicapped.  I have actually never played a Wii, let alone a Wii U, and only a little bit of Game Cube.  Maybe I should get an old school Wii and start playing it.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 12/31/2014, 09:17 AMThat Wii Mini is severely handicapped.  I have actually never played a Wii, let alone a Wii U, and only a little bit of Game Cube.  Maybe I should get an old school Wii and start playing it.
The Wii has loads of fun games.  And the best part is that GS is really trying to clear out what ever they have left. This means some games are going for cheap. Like $2 cheap. Sure you still run into the occasional $30-54 dollar game but not to many and those are mostly the 1st party games like smash bros. Mario Galaxy and so forth.

At the moment I am trying to figure out any hidden gem horror games I still would like to pick up.  As the only two horror games I have for the Wii is

resident Evil (all of them including the light gun games)
Something mountain. I forget the name lol

I still want to pick up both silent hill games, the calling, and that port of the grudge game   

Really wish some of the Japanies only horror games came out to NA.

TR0N

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/31/2014, 10:58 AM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 12/31/2014, 09:17 AMThat Wii Mini is severely handicapped.  I have actually never played a Wii, let alone a Wii U, and only a little bit of Game Cube.  Maybe I should get an old school Wii and start playing it.
Really wish some of the Japanies only horror games came out to NA.
If you mean the,4th fatal frame and the pal remake of 2.You can all ways soft-mod a wii to play imports if need be.Though the most i use for the wii these days is netflik.I been meaning to transfer my wiiware games and virtual consoles titles to the wii u still.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Daria

Quote from: khog143 on 08/12/2014, 12:55 PMI just found a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles on the cheap at a garage sale, so I booted up the old Wii.  For all the commotion that game caught about being really good, I am super meh about it thus far.  Probably will just use it as trade bait or something here in the future.
I was so ambivalent to both Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story that I skipped Pandora's Tower altogether. Nice to see I'm not just crazy.

Also my Wii gets the most use as a soft-modded emulation machine. As far as I'm concerened it's a great way to enjoy translated roms from the comfort of my couch.