RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Auto-boot System Card 3.0 Patch

Started by Burnt Lasagna, 01/10/2012, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnt Lasagna

Hey! Have you ever gotten tired of pressing the "run" button every time you want to play a TurboGrafx-CD game?
Yeah I know, that's a rhetorical question, of course you are! Well now you don't have to with the aid of this System card 3.0 patch!

This IPS patch is intended to slightly streamline TurboGrafx-CD emulation and maybe real hardware via flashcards. What it does is make the prerequisite SYTEMCARD3.0 auto-boot into the game and remove the system cards graphics. Basically, this patch makes it so that it can seamlessly start CD games the second you start it in an emulator/flashcard, removing the system card menu being the middle man.

This patch was built around the modified system card 3 ROM that's included with TurboGrafx-CD Virtual Console games. The only difference is that the cards graphics are removed to make its presence almost non-existent.

Well, here it is.
(Links to the patche's RHDN page)
SYSTEM CARD3 Auto-Boot Patch
You will need an IPS patcher to apply it.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

ParanoiaDragon

Intruiging, though, some games do have neat things they do with the system card menu, like Gate of Thunder 3 in 1, & Terraforming.  Does the system screen actually show up, but goes straight to loading the game?  Also, to manage your memory, do you just not put a game in so you can press select?
IMG

Burnt Lasagna

The system card menu still shows up it just goes straight to loading the game and flashes away within an instant.
You can't manage your memory with this patch, but since you would only be using this for emulation that isn't a issue.

Tatsujin

This is Lasagna, not sheesh Kebab!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Ha! This is too luxurious for my tastes ;)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

RegalSin

I love seeing all the nice intro graphics, of the PCE gui ( or whatever you calls it ). Some of them makes sounds, do that transformation thingy, or even distort the startup screen on to a 3d plane, etc.

It is more loveable then the ps1, Saturn, Gamecube,
and almost anythig else I could think of. No gimmicky sounds, no over the top graphics, just some text. Being a graphic desginer, it fits the bill when it comes up to start up screens.

Also what about errors, what happens then? Like if the game is not inserted?
IMGIMG

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: RegalSin on 01/11/2012, 10:32 AMAlso what about errors, what happens then? Like if the game is not inserted?
you get a load error, like you always do.

NecroPhile

Will this work on a real system?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 01/11/2012, 11:16 AMWill this work on a real system?
I would think so, if you can manged to get it onto an actual system.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 01/11/2012, 11:51 AMI would think so, if you can manged to get it onto an actual system.
That's why baby jeebus made flash carts!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 01/11/2012, 12:27 PMThat's why baby jeebus made flash carts!
Praise da Lord fo dat!

I would like to know how it works out if you try it.

Mishran

With the whole process of inserting CD/loading image, turning on system/opening emulator, etc. etc. is pressing the Run button once really that much of a pain that its worth skipping?

Cool idea though regardless. Good if your interested in demoing a game/demo at a convention or something and don't want people doing more than playing the game/demo.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Mishran on 01/11/2012, 12:46 PMWith the whole process of inserting CD/loading image, turning on system/opening emulator, etc. etc. is pressing the Run button once really that much of a pain that its worth skipping?

Cool idea though regardless. Good if your interested in demoing a game/demo at a convention or something and don't want people doing more than playing the game/demo.
That was my thought actually.  Prevent bitches from erasing my CF2 save!
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

spenoza

Well, do any games have save managers in them?

FraGMarE

Here's a thought, you could set like a 3-2-1 timer so it gives you a couple seconds to press Select to edit the BRAM saves, and if you don't press Select, it just loads directly into the game.  Windows style.  :p

Burnt Lasagna

As I said in the opening post I built this off a preexisting modified system card that's in VC titles.
So I didn't make this myself, I just created a patch for it.

It's mostly intended for emulation (like all ROMs of system cards) but if you decided to use it on the actual hardware you could just swop back to the original system card when you want to manage your saves.

esteban

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 01/12/2012, 10:35 AMAs I said in the opening post I built this off a preexisting modified system card that's in VC titles.
So I didn't make this myself, I just created a patch for it.

It's mostly intended for emulation (like all ROMs of system cards) but if you decided to use it on the actual hardware you could just swop back to the original system card when you want to manage your saves.
Folks here take things way too seriously :)

Anyway, if you used your modified system card on real hardware:

You are SIMULATING the EXPERIENCE of Nintendo's Virtual Console EMULATION on ACTUAL HARDWARE.

Did I get that right? I love it.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Shrapnoid

Sounds good for the protecting the backup RAM saves as some of you mentioned but, I have a question.

Have you thought of doing an [h] type patch for any of the U.S. System cards so that they can run on emus like yame?
Not that I can't find my way around the Japanese Backup RAM manager, it's just that it would be nice to see it in english is what I mean.