OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Mysterious Chiptune... (can you identify it?)

Started by esteban, 03/19/2012, 11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Word up, comrades. :pcgs: I'm not sure how many folks read the "Hudson GameBox (iOS)" thread, so, here's the challenge...

Can you identify the chiptune? It's a damn catchy tune that sounds like it is ripped from an existing PCE/TG-16 game...but I (and many fellow pcefxers) can't figure out what title (if any) the song originates from. What are the chances that Hudson commissioned (created) a new chiptune for the GameBox emulator?

IMG
IMG
TurboGrafx-16_GameBox_(iOS)_Title_Theme.mp3  (right-click to save .mp3)
I have a hard time believing that Hudson would have taken the time to create a brand-new tune. Call me cynical.

GOOD LUCK!

Special Thanks! to @farankoshan for providing the .mp3!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

motdelbourt

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

motdelbourt

If it's anything, it's likely to be from one of the games included in the app. I ruled out a few. Haven't confirmed these yet:

New Adventure Island:© HUDSON SOFT

Military Madness:© HUDSON SOFT

Victory Run:© HUDSON SOFT

Jaseiken Necromancer:© HUDSON SOFT

Detana!! TwinBee ©1992 Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman ©NCS/extreme

Double Dungeons ©NCS/extreme

Benkei Gaiden ©SUNSOFT

Break In...© KAGA CREATE CO.,LTD.

Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball-bu PC Bangaihen...© 2011 Million co.,ltd. / © 2011 KAGA CREATE CO.,LTD.

Raiden...© SEIBU KAIHATSU INC.

Shockman...© NCS/extreme

Moto Roader...© NCS/extreme

Dragon's Curse...© HUDSON SOFT

OUT LIVE...© SUNSOFT

nat

It sounds, to me, like something done by the Air Zonk/Coryoon/1943 soundtrack guy(s). I don't recall it being a part of any of those games, however, although I haven't ever completed 1943.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

Quote from: motdelbourt on 03/20/2012, 01:04 AMIf it's anything, it's likely to be from one of the games included in the app. I ruled out a few. Haven't confirmed these yet:

New Adventure Island:© HUDSON SOFT

Military Madness:© HUDSON SOFT

Victory Run:© HUDSON SOFT

Jaseiken Necromancer:© HUDSON SOFT

Detana!! TwinBee ©1992 Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman ©NCS/extreme

Double Dungeons ©NCS/extreme

Benkei Gaiden ©SUNSOFT

Break In...© KAGA CREATE CO.,LTD.

Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball-bu PC Bangaihen...© 2011 Million co.,ltd. / © 2011 KAGA CREATE CO.,LTD.

Raiden...© SEIBU KAIHATSU INC.

Shockman...© NCS/extreme

Moto Roader...© NCS/extreme

Dragon's Curse...© HUDSON SOFT

OUT LIVE...© SUNSOFT

ccovell

It actually sounds to me like a modern, original composition.  Some parts are pastiches of Konami games, others Hudson games.  But some of it is off-key, leading me to believe it was made by Japanese or European chiptune artists of this era.  Not from the 80s / early '90s...

Arkhan Asylum

parts of that sound like Twinbee

but Twinbee for PCE was not as bright.

It's not Dragons Curse (from above posts).  Dragons Curse uses chipdrums instead of sampledrums.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mishran

Quote from: ccovell on 03/20/2012, 08:04 AMIt actually sounds to me like a modern, original composition.  Some parts are pastiches of Konami games, others Hudson games.  But some of it is off-key, leading me to believe it was made by Japanese or European chiptune artists of this era.  Not from the 80s / early '90s...
I have to agree here. It may be an original piece and not from a game at all. It's definitely a tune that gets stuck in your head. I was playing a little TG Gamebox yesterday while waiting to head into work and was repeatedly replaying that tune in my head the rest of the evening. :-"

ParanoiaDragon

And....I can't get the link to work no matter what I do :-k
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/21/2012, 02:26 PMAnd....I can't get the link to work no matter what I do :-k
Did you try farankoshan's link?  If that won't work either, send me your e-mail address and I can forward it that way.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ParanoiaDragon

It's working now, to my ears, it sounds like a mix between Coryoon & Soldier Blade... :-k
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ccovell on 03/20/2012, 08:04 AMIt actually sounds to me like a modern, original composition.  Some parts are pastiches of Konami games, others Hudson games.  But some of it is off-key, leading me to believe it was made by Japanese or European chiptune artists of this era.  Not from the 80s / early '90s...
Initially, I thought this might be a new, original tune. Then I thought, "but what if this is the ending credits tune for a game I never beat?"

Your reasoning is sound.  :pcgs:

I just wish we could find out who composed it and how much creative control they had (i.e., was it commissioned as a pastiche?)

I rather like the song, despite any flaws.  IMG

Quote from: Mishran on 03/20/2012, 09:08 AM
I have to agree here. It may be an original piece and not from a game at all. It's definitely a tune that gets stuck in your head. I was playing a little TG Gamebox yesterday while waiting to head into work and was repeatedly replaying that tune in my head the rest of the evening. :-"
It is a damn catchy tune.  :pcgs:

farankoshan

Ain't it just the catchiest? Damn, if it is an original, I love how they captured the PC-Engine/Turbo chiptune sound. :)
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

"I'll stop the Alpha Zones and melt with you."
- farankoshan

esteban

Quote from: farankoshan on 04/07/2012, 04:02 AMAin't it just the catchiest? Damn, if it is an original, I love how they captured the PC-Engine/Turbo chiptune sound. :)
Yes, I agree: I think they did a good job capturing the essence of classic PCE chiptunes.

Nando

What a great homage! WOW!

Thanks for sharing it. I can totally "see" all the references you all mention

farankoshan

12 years later, and we still haven't the slightest idea who composed this stellar track or where this track may have come from.

Beautiful track nonetheless.

Still happy I was able to rip it when I did, as the app is delisted and gone.
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

"I'll stop the Alpha Zones and melt with you."
- farankoshan

NightWolve

Quote from: farankoshan on 09/25/2024, 12:17 AM12 years later, and we still haven't the slightest idea who composed this stellar track or where this track may have come from.

Beautiful track nonetheless.

Still happy I was able to rip it when I did, as the app is delisted and gone.
I see, thanks for revisiting this memory, it makes all the trouble rebuilding this site/forum worth it!

I remember this thread and tune! Esteban still cares about his legacy tg-16.com site so all his links work and I coded a decent audio/video embed module so mp3 files can be played instantly in-thread (as you can see/test).

Trying to make classic threads here more viewable/accessible on mobile phones has been part of the point. Might as well be the best PCEFX archive even if we can't revive much membership activity!

Quote from: esteban on 03/19/2012, 11:37 PMCan you identify the chiptune? It's a damn catchy tune that sounds like it is ripped from an existing PCE/TG-16 game...but I (and many fellow pcefxers) can't figure out what title (if any) the song originates from. What are the chances that Hudson commissioned (created) a new chiptune for the GameBox emulator?I have a hard time believing that Hudson would have taken the time to create a brand-new tune. Call me cynical.

Special Thanks! to @farankoshan for providing the .mp3!
Ah, so esteban credits you for providing the mp3. It's protected/mirrored by Wayback here as well, don't worry about it ever being lost even if he closes his site. Maybe I'll also mirror it on my /audio best of PCE collection folder:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/audio/

Anyway, take care.