PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Ys III for SNES... comparable to Turbo version?

Started by tpivette, 07/04/2012, 04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpivette

First off I wanna say what I'm about to ask (on a PCE forum) may be borderline blasphemous,... so I'm asking, please dont be to harsh in your responses!!

Anyway, I have Ys Book 1&2 on CD for the Turbo, and recently bought Ys 4 for the PCE. Now I'm looking to complete the set with Ys 3. Of course, I'd prefer to get it for the Turbo CD, however, its kinda costly (ebay prices seem to be around the $50 and I havent had much luck finding it elsewhere for cheaper). I have noticed the SNES version is much much cheaper, even on ebay. So... strictly for playing the game (and maybe eventually picking up the Turbo version when it presents itself), would playing the SNES version in the meantime be totally out of the question (from a Turbo fans point of view)?

Constructive comments, especially differences and pros/cons of each version, are welcome
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Chuplayer

Admittedly, I only played it briefly on my SNES PowerPak for comparison's sake and for the fact that it has issues saving on the flashcart, but I found the SNES version to be ridiculously underwhelming and obnoxiously difficult compared to the Turbo CD version.

$50ish might be a bit much for a 6 hour experience on the Turbo CD, but I thought it was worth it when I bought it last year. It has flaws, but the gameplay's great, the music's awesome, and the voice acting is amazing for its time.

PunkCryborg

If you wait you can find it for around $35.
And don't bother with the SNES version, you will be very dissapointed with the flat music. The PCE version isn't hard to navigate through. You only have one small town to go to and 2 small shops with only a couple items so it's no biggy.

NightWolve

CrackTiger

The SNES version has smooth parallax and beefier enemies. No version has much to offer for dialogue or story, so you're better off with the PCE version which you can BIN for <$13 shipped on eBay. Everyone should own the Turbo/PCE version for the soundtrack alone, let alone the opening and intro cinemas. Just skip a fast food meal and buy the PCE version.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

tpivette

I'm watching the above auction... problem is, I think a few guys from the forum are as well. I have a feeling there's gonna be some crazy sniping in the last few seconds of that auction

I would get the PCE version, but if there was an english release of the same game (as in this case), id rather have the version who's dialogue I can understand

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

CrackTiger

Quote from: tpivette on 07/04/2012, 08:05 PMI'm watching the above auction... problem is, I think a few guys from the forum are as well. I have a feeling there's gonna be some crazy sniping in the last few seconds of that auction

I would get the PCE version, but if there was an english release of the same game (as in this case), id rather have the version who's dialogue I can understand
You only need to play through it in English once. It's worth buying the SNES version too simply because it's so cheap and you can just flip it for what you paid after anyway. The translations between the English versions aren't consistent either, so you're always only getting a pretty good idea of what was originally intended. The narrated opening of the Turbo version will only confuse you in English, since it makes no sense. :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

meka

The SNES version is a lot more difficult, and the sound is a lot better on the PCE

kazekirifx

Turbo CD version is a must-own just for the music, but the SNES version is graphically superior. I would take the Genesis version over the SNES since it is also graphically superior to the Turbo CD, and is also more faithful to the original Falcom game.

Turbo CD still wins though. Even with the bumpy parallax, the music trumps all. One of the greatest game soundtracks ever for sure.

ParanoiaDragon

Its seems like most people(outside the PCE community) prefer the Genesis version.  I think it has a more balanced difficulty compared to the SNES version, & IIRC, besides gfx, people talk about the music being better then the SNES version as well, though, I'm no FM fan personally.  I don't have the Genesis version, so I can only speak from other's experience.
IMG

CrackTiger

No version has better graphics across the board compared to the others. There are many unique strengths to each version's visuals. The Turbo version has the best color/shading in many places and extra details at times. The Famicom version controls the best to me (using a dogbone pad) and the music is as good as any version most of the time.

roflmao

The short answer is to get every version.  The more Ys the merrier.  Ys III on the SNES is still a great game, even if the music and gameplay are better on the TG-CD version.  If you can find it cheap, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.  When you eventually find a good deal for the TG version, you'll get to play it all over again with better gameplay, an enhanced soundtrack, and different cut scenes.  The background will scroll more chunky, which is unfortunate, but the game still looks great overall.

VestCunt

I prefer the SNES version. I haven't played it since I got TGCD version, so my memory may be deceptive, but I prefer the graphics and difficulty and the music is good enough, IMO.

15 save slots!
Topic Adjourned.

Tatsujin

Obye rule #253

Never buy an alternate version when there is a PCE version.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CPTRAVE

ParanoiaDragon

Ah, somehow I forgot!  You could also buy the PSP/PC version of Ys 3 titled Oath in Felghana.  This is my favorite version, truly, a complete remix of Ys 3, it's fantastic IMO.
IMG

PikachuWarrior

IMG

Joe Redifer

tpivette

Hmm... didn't know there was a Genesis version. Interesting!

Looks like I'm just gonna hold out for the Turbo version though. The auction ends today around midnight... who's going to walk away the winner?

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/05/2012, 03:33 AMI wrote this article over at Sega-16 which compares all 3 versions:

Side by Side: Ys III (Genesis, SNES, TG-16)
I was going to suggest Keranu's Ys III comparison as well, but it has been lost to the fog, apparently.

Anyway, I always encourage people to play different ports/versions of the same game, especially when they are marketed with captivating taglines such as "Dragons & Wizards... OH MY!"

IMG

Consider the audience that they were targeting for SNES Ys III. Oh, wait--are you suggesting that the tagline is universally UNAPPEALING and that it fails to capture the hearts of youth and adults alike?

Personally, "Dragons & Wizards... OH MY!" is good for attracting one specific demographic: the folks who sing children's songs.

Back on topic: tpivette, at the very least, I would suggest listening to the music from the different versions. While the Red Book soundtrack for Turbo/PCE is legendary (rightfully earned, of course), I love listening to the SNES and Genesis tunes as well.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SuperDeadite

With this game, the Sharp X68000 wins for sure.  By far the best version overall. Though I keep my PCE copy for the music as well. :)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

kazekirifx

Quote from: guest on 07/04/2012, 11:35 PMThe short answer is to get every version.  The more Ys the merrier. 
Yep. That's what I did. I also own the 8bit Famicom version (which is crap), the X68k version, and the original PC-8801 version.

I've probably played through Ys 3 more times than any other game. These days I usually tend to play the X68000 version. Aside from the short length and difficult end boss (which is easy in the Turbo version BTW), I still think Ys 3 is one of the best video games ever made. I am definitely in the minority on this one, but I think they definitely had some good ideas game-format-wise, and it comes close to approaching what I would describe as my perfect game. Falcom continued these good ideas in Popful Mail, which, while also imperfect, also comes so close to my ideal. (If you ever want to see what "Ys III-2" would have looked like, just play the Super Famicom version of Popful Mail.)

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/05/2012, 01:36 AMAh, somehow I forgot!  You could also buy the PSP/PC version of Ys 3 titled Oath in Felghana.  This is my favorite version, truly, a complete remix of Ys 3, it's fantastic IMO.
Yeah. Except it's not Ys 3; it's an entirely new game. Also an excellent must-play of course, but no substitute for the original.

tpivette

well... got outbid on the Turbo version of this game tonight, as well as 3 other Turbo games that went off in the same time frame. Guess I'm just not willing to pay what the average ebayer dishes out for these titles. oh well... next time maybe

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

roflmao

Quote from: tpivette on 07/06/2012, 12:20 AMwell... got outbid on the Turbo version of this game tonight, as well as 3 other Turbo games that went off in the same time frame. Guess I'm just not willing to pay what the average ebayer dishes out for these titles. oh well... next time maybe
A lot of those games tonight sold for WAY more than I expected them to.  :|

PikachuWarrior

The Ys III one went for $42 I think. Lost it by a few bucks, but oh well. Didn't really need it that badly.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/06/2012, 04:04 AMThe Ys III one went for $42 I think. Lost it by a few bucks, but oh well. Didn't really need it that badly.
You're not missing much the english dubbing for Ys III is hilariously bad.
Still if you realy want the game try pce version it's usely dirt cheap.Any ways i consider the remake,oath in felghana to be the definite version of Ys III.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

CrackTiger

QuoteYep. That's what I did. I also own the 8bit Famicom version (which is crap), the X68k version, and the original PC-8801 version.
I picked up every version of Wanderers of Ys, but don't have much interest in the 3D hack 'n slash Ys games.

What don't you like about the Famicom version? It holds up amazing well next to the rest.

JoshTurboTrollX

Go for the cheap SNES version and pick up the import PCE.  That way you can play the game in english, and also experience the turbo version.

I personally think the music is the best in the PCE/turbo version, but the grafx are best on the SNES.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PikachuWarrior

Yeah, it was nice how there was more voice acting in III than I and II, but I agree. The quality of the voice acting (actors) weren't very good.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/06/2012, 05:40 PMYeah, it was nice how there was more voice acting in III than I and II, but I agree. The quality of the voice acting (actors) weren't very good.
I think that there is only proportionately more voice acting in III compared to content. The speech is less frequent in I & II because the game is several times longer, but there is a lot of it. IV has the most by far.

Joe Redifer

Too bad I can't understand any of it in IV, so the voice acting there is pretty much useless to me.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: kazekirifx on 07/05/2012, 08:48 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/04/2012, 11:35 PMThe short answer is to get every version.  The more Ys the merrier.
Yep. That's what I did. I also own the 8bit Famicom version (which is crap), the X68k version, and the original PC-8801 version.

I've probably played through Ys 3 more times than any other game. These days I usually tend to play the X68000 version. Aside from the short length and difficult end boss (which is easy in the Turbo version BTW), I still think Ys 3 is one of the best video games ever made. I am definitely in the minority on this one, but I think they definitely had some good ideas game-format-wise, and it comes close to approaching what I would describe as my perfect game. Falcom continued these good ideas in Popful Mail, which, while also imperfect, also comes so close to my ideal. (If you ever want to see what "Ys III-2" would have looked like, just play the Super Famicom version of Popful Mail.)

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/05/2012, 01:36 AMAh, somehow I forgot!  You could also buy the PSP/PC version of Ys 3 titled Oath in Felghana.  This is my favorite version, truly, a complete remix of Ys 3, it's fantastic IMO.
Yeah. Except it's not Ys 3; it's an entirely new game. Also an excellent must-play of course, but no substitute for the original.
I disagree.  To me, it's the same game with the same levels, but now it's overhead rather then sidescrolling.  The levels themselves are greatly expanded upon, as is the story.  Infact, one of my gripes with Wanderer's, is that it doesn't really connect to the rest of the series, aside from Adol & Dogi being in it.  

Spoilers????

In Oath in Felghana, the story connects it more to the Romun Empire with it being a province or state of the Romun, connecting it to Ys 4 & 6.  You got Emelas & the influence of the Eldeen(though I don't think Genos is Eldeenian), connecting it to Ys Origin, 1, 2, & 6.  You got Galbalan connecting it to Ys 6(though I suppose Wanderer's has that as well).  There's probably a few other connections I'm forgetting.  We really need a good Wiki on the Ys series!

Anyways, the only thing to me that's truly different, is the overhead view & the combo attack's.  Everything else feels like "home" to me, but with just more of it.
IMG

RegalSin

The turbo version??????? Look, uhm the PCE version is the best out of all versions, however each game system has their own taste, including the Mega Drive. I own a PCE, so duh I am going to say the PCE version. I couldn't even bare to play the SNES game anymore after the PCE, and the MD has that 1980's overtone to it.

blah blah blah remakes, are for the children, the youth, who thinks like oh wow, pi system cool resolution, and all of that rubbish. I am using a real 20" television screen,
with what the 1990's had to offer for a regular consumers. The hell, I need that stuff, the same could be said to all of the pre-rendered art of the late generation games before they switched to 2d.

Somehow RPG and Halloween are just ways to sneak in DAD and Midevil undertones.
Especially nowadays, and the fact, that some in game characters are designed to replicate 1980's puppets, and stop motion characters.

What makes me displeasing about the SNES game, is the wolf attack scene, but that is made up for the art of the fourtune teller. It is like in Slayers, try where the statue of the badguy from the first film started to dance around.

....................................................................................

Y's 3 was sappose to be last game, in the series ( even after Y's 4 PCE, Y's 4, and Y's 5, etc and that is it's purpose. Lets go back to Dogi's stomping grounds meet his ole gal, and save some villagers.
IMGIMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: RegalSin on 07/06/2012, 10:33 PMThe turbo version??????? Look, uhm the PCE version is the best out of all versions
I'd rather play the Turbo version than the PCE version.  I'd like to at least be able to read the text, ya know.  The Japanese language does nothing for me.  I don't get off on it.  It doesn't make me feel cooler than my friends.  So yeah, the Turbo version.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/06/2012, 07:24 PMToo bad I can't understand any of it in IV, so the voice acting there is pretty much useless to me.
That is too bad for you, but thankfully there is a version coming in Earth language.

Ys III in English is a mixed bag of minor useful directions and random confusing garbage. Before you get to control Adol for a second, you learn that Ys is actually a science fiction series and Adol is some kind of Doctor Who immortal body swapping character, who has been planet hopping throughout time battling alien Godzilla monsters and actually plays dumb throughout the entire game, even though he and Demanicus go back hundreds of years or more. It also makes absolutely no sense, that when Demanicus was at full strength and size, that Adol could slay him without Demancus even touching him, yet at the end of the game, you barely manage to survive fighting a micro Demanicus torso.

Keranu

Quote from: esteban on 07/05/2012, 10:11 AMI was going to suggest Keranu's Ys III comparison as well, but it has been lost to the fog, apparently.
I know, LaZer Dorks has been down for the past couple years :( ! I really should bring it back up.

In the mean time, here's my Ys III comparison on archive.org .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Dyna138

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/05/2012, 12:54 AMObye rule #253

Never buy an alternate version when there is a PCE version.
That's an awesome rule.  :mrgreen:

There's always something about a PCE/turbo version of a game that makes it worth playing...at least except Golden Axe for PCE...

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/06/2012, 06:12 PM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/06/2012, 05:40 PMYeah, it was nice how there was more voice acting in III than I and II, but I agree. The quality of the voice acting (actors) weren't very good.
I think that there is only proportionately more voice acting in III compared to content. The speech is less frequent in I & II because the game is several times longer, but there is a lot of it. IV has the most by far.
Agreed. Everything is relative to the length of the game proper.

Has anyone written up an intensive Zelda II vs. Ys III article?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 07/08/2012, 10:52 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/06/2012, 06:12 PM
Agreed. Everything is relative to the length of the game proper.

Has anyone written up an intensive Zelda II vs. Ys III article?
Ys III>Zelda II overall, but broken down it wins for music, art, style, atmosphere, gameplay, fun, replayability, graphics, saving/transfering, etc. I can't think of one way that Zelda II is better, other than ability to run on an NES, but Ys III Famicom still crushes it.

There's not much material for an intensive comparison since it's pretty one-sided.

kazekirifx

I never much cared for Zelda II.
There isn't really any sidescrolling action RPG which compares well to Ys 3 in my opinion.

NightWolve

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/06/2012, 07:24 PMToo bad I can't understand any of it in IV, so the voice acting there is pretty much useless to me.
No worries, BurntLasagna says the dubbing work is coming along nicely, a majority of the actors have sent in all of their lines, and all the minor technical problems have been solved, so it's going to happen for sure this time!

Once again, it's always a pleasure getting a snapshot of RegalSin's thoughts on things. ;)

PikachuWarrior

Just completed Ys Oath in Felghana on the PSP. Good game overall. Followed, at least, the Turbo Grafx CD version almost exactly, with expanded story/background information. Funny, I bought it sealed when it first came out in 2010, and never got around to playing it until now. :P
IMG

Chuplayer

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/14/2012, 04:47 AMJust completed Ys Oath in Felghana on the PSP. Good game overall. Followed, at least, the Turbo Grafx CD version almost exactly, with expanded story/background information. Funny, I bought it sealed when it first came out in 2010, and never got around to playing it until now. :P
It was my favorite game of the year that year. I couldn't believe how good it was.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Chuplayer on 07/14/2012, 10:10 AM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/14/2012, 04:47 AMJust completed Ys Oath in Felghana on the PSP. Good game overall. Followed, at least, the Turbo Grafx CD version almost exactly, with expanded story/background information. Funny, I bought it sealed when it first came out in 2010, and never got around to playing it until now. :P
It was my favorite game of the year that year. I couldn't believe how good it was.
I concur!  Well, that & Ys Seven, of which I want to play thru again, but I have a ridiculous backlog I'm trying to catch up on!
IMG

PikachuWarrior

Yeah, Ys Seven was much better imo. Downloading Ys Chronicles 1 and 2 to see how it holds up to the TG16 version. I have the psp version sealed.
IMG

Chuplayer

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/14/2012, 07:17 PM
Quote from: Chuplayer on 07/14/2012, 10:10 AM
I concur!  Well, that & Ys Seven, of which I want to play thru again, but I have a ridiculous backlog I'm trying to catch up on!
I didn't play Ys Seven until the next year. I'm not sure where it would have fallen in my favorites of 2010, but I don't need to worry about it because I didn't play it in 2010  :P

tpivette

How many Ys games are out for the PSP? I've been contemplating picking one up for the Final Fantasy games, but if theyre are several Ys releases as well, then that solidifies the deal!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Chuplayer

Quote from: tpivette on 07/14/2012, 10:28 PMHow many Ys games are out for the PSP? I've been contemplating picking one up for the Final Fantasy games, but if theyre are several Ys releases as well, then that solidifies the deal!
Four US-released games.
Ys I&II
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Ys: Ark of Napishtim (released in 2006 or so by Konami, horrible port, play off of a memory stick if you must play it, PS2 version highly recommended)
Ys Seven

All except Ark were developed by Falcom and released in the US by Xseed. It might also be worth noting that Ys I&II could possibly benefit from being played off of a memory stick. It has some performance issues when played off of the UMD, but the effects aren't intrusive and game breaking at all like they were on the Ark port. I only played the UMD version once and have not tried playing it off of my memory stick yet to verify the performance increase myself.

If you must play Ark on the PSP, use CFW and rip the UMD to the memory stick. You'll be glad you did.

ParanoiaDragon

It'd be nice if Konami would put Ark up on PSN for a cheap price.  I beat it on PS2, but wouldn't mind playing thru it on PSP.  The load times are supposed to be better on the PSP's 2000 & 3000, but still, it'd be nice to have it digital regardless.
IMG