@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Partially Dead Super System Card 3.0 ?

Started by XtraN, 01/20/2006, 02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XtraN

Hi everyone!

This is a little weird so maybe someone can help me.

So I have a Super System Card 3.0 with a Purple Barney that will run normal CD games but not SCD games! I have tried a CD import game (which doesn't work -- read more below), but I recall that different regions are not a factor for CD games. I also haven't tried an PC Engine huCard game. That said, I still think the converter is not the issue. Thanks!

Games that work
Fighting Street (u)
Last Alert (u)

Game that do not work
Dracula X (j) - starts to load and keeps spinning (sometimes the will be a little white square on the screen that shows up, then disc keeps spinning)
Forgotten Worlds (u) - game loads and sounds work perfect, but graphics extremely scrambled. Another thing I noticed is that FOrgotten Worlds DID create save data on the Super System Card 3.0 card
Lords of Thunder (u) - starts to load and then a vertical pink rectangle shows up in the lower right side of screen and disc just keeps spinning

so the facts that I concluded from all of this
- successful Super System Card 3.0/adapter connection
- successful adapter/TurboGrafx connection
- System Card 3.0 formats and accepts save data
- SCD games lock up

So what can be wrong!? Could everything on the Super System Card 3.0 work except the extra RAM? :( I paid for this item through eBay and need to figure out if I need to ask for a refund and pick up another one.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

XtraN

>> I just re-edited the original post a bit for typos and to better explain <<

So, no one is commenting, I guess you're as stumped as I am?

rolins

Have you tried cleaning the gold contacts of your system card? You can use regular windex and q-tip to do it.

Also, are you playing games on cd-r backups or originals?

XtraN

Quote from: "rolins"Have you tried cleaning the gold contacts of your system card?

Not yet, but I plan on cleaning the barney converter too. But what if it is truely dirty, then why would a normal CD game work?

Quote from: "rolins"Also, are you playing games on cd-r backups or originals?

All are back-ups except Fighting Street. I also made a back-up of Fighting Street and it plays as good as the original. So my media & burn software seem to be making great back-ups.

I have some other games, from over-seas, on their way over, so maybe it will help me figure out what really is wrong. I still think it points to the System Card. It seems like the extra RAM is what is hosed. I'm thinking that Forgotten world runs with bad textures because it was coded to use the extra RAM as a buffer for all the textures, while the other 2 games may have been coded to use the extra RAM for actual code. I'm just trying to undestand the different results I'm getting. My best bet is to  get my hands on another System 3.0 or Arcade Card Pro card.

On that note, I believe I read somewhere that some SCD games may not run correctly with the Arcade Card Pro. Is this true? So should I plan on owning both, or just get the Arcade Card Pro or I should be covered?

Thanks!

Bake

Considering they are all cd-r's, the burning process may have screwed up in some games... try and original scd game and if the game works then the cd-r's are probly causing the problem.

XtraN

problem solved. It was the Super System Card 3.0! I just got another one from an eBayer from Japan! So back-ups and original SCDs are now working flawlessly.  :D

I wonder how everything else on the card seems to work except the extra RAM, or maybe some BIOS code? Could it be exposure to a magnet? Which I most certanly did not do. Is it possible to repair/reflash? Probably not worth the trouble, eh?

esteban

Quote from: "XtraN"problem solved. It was the Super System Card 3.0! I just got another one from an eBayer from Japan! So back-ups and original SCDs are now working flawlessly.  :D

I wonder how everything else on the card seems to work except the extra RAM, or maybe some BIOS code? Could it be exposure to a magnet? Which I most certanly did not do. Is it possible to repair/reflash? Probably not worth the trouble, eh?
Damn, I don't understand how that would happen. I always assumed that it would be an "all-or-nothing" affair when it came to damaged HuCards. The fact that the old 2.0 BIOS worked, yet the 3.0 didn't -- well, that's a puzzler. Maybe some of the more technical folks here can explain that one :).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Another puzzler is how the System 3.0 cards are region free.

The way I vividly remember it, both System 3.0 cards work on any Turbo/PCE system.

Now I can't double check because not only am I out my long missing U.S. Super CD card, but I can't find my PCE Sys 3.0 card which I saw the other day. :(

Back in the day, I tried them out on PCE + CD-ROM combos, TE & GT's and TG & TD's.

I did just try my System 1 & 2.1 and TG CD cards with my modded Duo RX and they would only work when it was set to the correct region(otherwise I just got the white screen). But I got the Super CD screen with my Arcade Card Duo with the system set to North America(although it won't load Arcade Card games).

I'll keep looking for my System 3.0 card, but has anyone else tried this?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

XtraN

Quote from: "stevek666"The fact that the old 2.0 BIOS worked, yet the 3.0 didn't -- well, that's a puzzler.

Yea, How the heck can the the broken 3.0 card work with 2.0 games?
- It could be because the 3.0 has 2.0 and 3.0 bios information seperately(sp) so the 3.0 bios is corrupt, while the 2.0 is intact
- maybe it is the RAM is bad. if the 2.0 card has memory for game saves only, that could explain 2.0 games runing and not 3.0..