The guide to implementing 2d platformers

Started by Nando, 09/17/2012, 03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

Just started reading this, thought I would share.

http://higherorderfun.com/blog/2012/05/20/the-guide-to-implementing-2d-platformers/

Bonus point to this article for having this

IMG

RegalSin

THat was actually quite usefull in a reading.
IMGIMG

LMS

Really interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing.

kazekirifx

I read all as well. They really make programming a 2D platformer sound simple!

Nando

it was fun reading it from a dev's perspective and he totally answered a question i had with sloping tiles. so nicely broken down.

i wish he would have covered perspective options. thats just a minor thing though.

he does make it sound easy.

OldRover

Platforming isn't too difficult; just a bit of maths. I use subtile collision for Monolith, which is their #2 description. Jungle Bros uses #1.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Nando

On the PCE, the hitbox is a virtual box "layered" on top of the main character sprite?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Nando on 09/19/2012, 10:51 AMOn the PCE, the hitbox is a virtual box "layered" on top of the main character sprite?
Most games do that.   It's called a bounding box.

I use boxes that are slightly thinner than the sprite so you don't get lame deaths like where your pinky finger pokes a fireball and you die.

I liked reading this.  It was pretty neat. 

The most important part of a platformer is getting the controls right for the jumps.  If you fuck that up, all your smooth scrolling and flawless collision detection ain't shit because it'll be a pain in the dick to move around.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Nando

Quote from: guest on 09/19/2012, 10:59 AM
Quote from: Nando on 09/19/2012, 10:51 AMOn the PCE, the hitbox is a virtual box "layered" on top of the main character sprite?
Most games do that.   It's called a bounding box.

I use boxes that are slightly thinner than the sprite so you don't get lame deaths like where your pinky finger pokes a fireball and you die.

I liked reading this.  It was pretty neat. 

The most important part of a platformer is getting the controls right for the jumps.  If you fuck that up, all your smooth scrolling and flawless collision detection ain't shit because it'll be a pain in the dick to move around.
With the guys that made Keith Courage knew that.....ZING!

Arkhan Asylum

What's wrong with his jumps?

He jumps fine, especially in the MAGIC RAINBOW ROBOT SUIT
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Nando

Quote from: guest on 09/19/2012, 11:21 AMWhat's wrong with his jumps?

He jumps fine, especially in the MAGIC RAINBOW ROBOT SUIT
His robo landings felt too floaty and slippery to me, but I love me some kitten beating.