F1 Dream - Best game ever?

Started by mouldie, 09/30/2012, 06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouldie

I've had a PC Engine in one form or another for the last 20 years or so. I just can't seem to leave it alone! Anyway, the one game that I always seem to come back to, and take most pleasure from, is F1 Dream. How is this game generally viewed by people?

I always found Thrash Rally to be the best game on the Neo Geo and I know that was largely termed 'Trash' rally by reviews at the time. So maybe my judgement is way off. I'd be interested to hear what other people think of F1 Dream anyway??

esteban

Quote from: mouldie on 09/30/2012, 06:30 AMI've had a PC Engine in one form or another for the last 20 years or so. I just can't seem to leave it alone! Anyway, the one game that I always seem to come back to, and take most pleasure from, is F1 Dream. How is this game generally viewed by people?

I always found Thrash Rally to be the best game on the Neo Geo and I know that was largely termed 'Trash' rally by reviews at the time. So maybe my judgement is way off. I'd be interested to hear what other people think of F1 Dream anyway??
Many people, if they are honest, will admit to playing it for a minute (blindly) and then never re-visiting it after it fails to pique their interest.

I fall into this category. I haven't written-off the game (I actually delve into all the games I play before judging them, to give them a chance), but I haven't been motivated to really explore F1 Dream.

HOWEVER, when I read a post like yours, it actually inspires and MOTIVATES me to try the game again. I love when this happens because I would otherwise find myself re-playing games that I am already very familiar with. I like when I try new stuff :pcgs:.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ccovell

How is F-1 Dream in the arcades?  An old, crusty top-down racer.  Probably "good" for its time, but the only reason NEC Avenue could have to convert such a crusty game, when they had much better Capcom game choices, would be as a cynical rushed cash-in on the F-1 boom going on at the time.  That's why I don't have much respect for that game.

I will agree that Trash Rally is unfairly maligned.  Great graphics, fantastic music, and fast-paced gameplay (though I can never place above 4th after the first leg.)

PunkCryborg

I love unloved PCE games, I'll have to check it out!

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 09/30/2012, 12:56 PMMany people, if they are honest, will admit to playing it for a minute (blindly) and then never re-visiting it after it fails to pique their interest.
Sounds like me, though there's a good chance I didn't even give it the full 60 seconds.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

RegalSin

You mean that racing game that was on every console including the Atari and NES? Yeah I love my stripes. Red and White all the way. They still race those in real life?
IMGIMG

Tatsujin

One of the, if not the most common game(s) in those famous junk boxes  :P
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

RegalSin

I think NES baseball is actually quite fun then others. The last BB game I played that was fun was
Wairo Land IV, Homerun.
IMGIMG

soop

I really like top down racers.  I'd lumped F1 dream in with all the F1 upward scrolling cards the PC engine has, I'll be sure to check this one out.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

RegalSin

Top down racers were and still are auwsome, I think South Park Chefs Luv shack has a mini game along with Jetforce Gemini. It was a differnt time back then, you know the kinda time when you saw an arcade outside a corner store and said, okay I got an hour to spare.

I don't know anything about current racers, asides for that one racer based off a Comic
( GTO ) for the PSP, Midnight club for the PSX, and tracks for Windows ( tracks is a free online racers, where you can race people from around the world ), the same with flight simulator I think.

I think the last racer I looked at was XGR for the GCN/X-box was it online for the X-box? Then of course Kalleria.

I think I was referencing racers that use that 3d trick, for the PCE, and so forth, Those are also cool no matter what system.
IMGIMG

Tatsujin

QuoteBest game ever?

LOL, certainly NOT!!! :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

mouldie

Yeah, it's well worth a visit!

It starts with street racing where you bet with fellow racers. If you hang around there long enough and win plenty of cash then the move to F3000 is easy. Then on to F1! The only issue is that it's so damn hard to overtake in the later races when everyone matches your pace, the reason being that touching an oppositions car makes yours spin but not theirs.

Give it more than 10 mins and you too will love it!!!

*Maybe "Best game ever" was a stretch too far!

esteban

Quote from: mouldie on 10/03/2012, 03:07 PMGive it more than 10 mins and you too will love it!!!

*Maybe "Best game ever" was a stretch too far!
I'm not sure if "love" is the emotion I will experience, but I will certainly give it another chance. :pcgs:

Quote from: ccovell on 09/30/2012, 08:35 PMHow is F-1 Dream in the arcades?  An old, crusty top-down racer.  Probably "good" for its time, but the only reason NEC Avenue could have to convert such a crusty game, when they had much better Capcom game choices, would be as a cynical rushed cash-in on the F-1 boom going on at the time.  That's why I don't have much respect for that game.

I will agree that Trash Rally is unfairly maligned.  Great graphics, fantastic music, and fast-paced gameplay (though I can never place above 4th after the first leg.)
I have never played Trash Rally. Sounds like it has a lot  more potential than F1 Dream. :pcgs:

fraggore

well just dug it out ain't played it before seems ok but i am not a fan of the controls i prefer plan old left and right to turn. not a fan of the push the direction you want to go thing. motoroader has that and the first thing i buy is the normal controls but apart from that seems fun.

my favourite top down racer on the engine is the legend of deko boko its looks like a flat turd but i love that game.

I loved Trash Rally when i had my neo back in the day but got board of it fast, cost me a arm and a leg as well but it was always fun to play now and then and it is the best top down rally game
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

esteban

Quote from: fraggore on 10/06/2012, 02:08 PMwell just dug it out ain't played it before seems ok but i am not a fan of the controls i prefer plan old left and right to turn. not a fan of the push the direction you want to go thing. motoroader has that and the first thing i buy is the normal controls but apart from that seems fun.

my favourite top down racer on the engine is the legend of deko boko its looks like a flat turd but i love that game.

I loved Trash Rally when i had my neo back in the day but got board of it fast, cost me a arm and a leg as well but it was always fun to play now and then and it is the best top down rally game
I totally agree about the steering controls. It is a crucial aspect of any game. I guess F1 Dream doesn't provide an option to change this?

Also: Legend of Dekoboko is usually panned as a lackluster title, but I'll admit to playing it more than I ever expected too. I guess I was too lazy to take it out of the console? That's my best theory.

RyuHayabusa

"470,000 and climbing on F1-Dream." - Haley Brooks, The Wizard, 1989  :lol: