RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Some people don't get how to deal...

Started by DejahThoris, 10/12/2012, 02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DejahThoris

Potential buyer:
"Hey, I like that controller, how much?"

Me:
"$xx.xx"

PB:
"Money's tight, any interest in trades?"

Me:
"Whatcha got?"

PB:
"Well, I have these NES games"

Me:
"No thanks."

PB:
"I'll give you this item you REALLY want instead."

Me:
"Hell yes!  But I'd feel a bit guilty giving you my beat up controller, so I'll even buy you a sparkly new one instead."

PB:
"Okay, I want that, and the controller you have, and some games, and maybe something else."

Seriously?  Why offer something in trade if you're later going to decide you want six more things on top of it?  *frustrated*

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

DejahThoris

Quote from: guest on 10/12/2012, 02:43 PMdid someone go full retard
Quite possibly.  From "Hey, I'll give you this for that" to "I'd like your first-born son and the moon too please".  Oyy.

csgx1

I agree, people have no clue in negotiation etiquette and how to deal without pissing people off.  Some people are pretty damn bold with outrageous low ball and ridiculous trade offers.

I was selling a car a few years ago, asking $3300 with no mention of looking for trades.  There was a lot of interest in it because the price was competitive.  One guy offered some used racing seats and NOS parts in trade for the car.   Parts were probably worth about a few hundred dollars at most and actually worthless to me.  I was like, wtf, this guy really expects to trade basically garbage for a running and driving car?

PunkCryborg

I've had some funny trades though, I got my candy cabs by trading a crotch rocket that was pretty much in pieces in a box to this dude. He had them for sale and was like "uh what kind of stuff do you have" and I just walked around my garage while on the phone telling him all the junk that was in there and we struck a deal.

bartre

This is why i don't post on craigslist anymore.
got several $5 offers on all kinds of game stuff, bundles, expensive games, etc.

VestCunt

Quote from: bartre on 10/13/2012, 06:00 PMThis is why i don't post on craigslist anymore.
got several $5 offers on all kinds of game stuff, bundles, expensive games, etc.
Craigslist buyers are the worst people on the planet. They don't show up, they don't call back, and they can't read. I listed a motorcycle helmet with a four-sentence description explicitly stating that the crown pad was missing. Three potential buyers wasted my time with multiple calls and emails before realizing that the crown pad was missing and backing out. Finally auctioned it on ebay and got three times the price I'd asked for on craigslist, even after $15 shipping.
Topic Adjourned.

Drakon

I refuse the option of trades completely because I'm tired of people trying to rip me off.
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

DejahThoris

Man, I was talking about this forum...  lol.

But yes, craigslist people are ridiculous.  I was selling my old Honda motorcycle for $500, needed a headlight.  Put it down as $500 firm, had two people come, then walk because they didn't know it needed a headlight, despite my two paragraph explanation of the bike, and the pictures where there WASN'T a headlight fixture on the bike...  Then two more that offered me $250 and $300...  Threw it in the local paper and walked away with $600.

It goes the other way though as well.  I was searching out an Earthbound cart a few weeks ago and someone semi-local had one they'd part with "for the going rate".  Apparently her going rate was $250...  Loose cart, $250...  I pointed out to her the actual going rate and she started cursing me out.  Some people are strange.  Picked up the guide and cart for less than her asking price two days later.