10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Changes from the Tetsujin/IronMan system to the final PC-FX

Started by handygrafx, 03/05/2006, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handygrafx

This is about trying to understand the changes that happened to NEC - Hudson's 32-bit console effort.   The Tetsujin project (IronMan) was started around late 1990 and shown publicly in 1992, but the final PC-FX system that came out at the end of 1994 was significantly different.

originally, the Tetsujin was to be a system that was capable of at least basic 3D graphics -- perhaps not quite as strong as those of the Playstation, but more than what the PC-FX had, which is basically none.

Yes, the Tetsujin/IronMan board is the same thing that's in the rumors section of the pcengine-fx.com website, and some of the graphics shown (both pre-rendered and realtime) are also the same.

https://www.grospixels.com/site/necpcfx.php

And a translated page I found  ..yeah I know the translation is far from perfect, but...

From promising beginnings...

IMG
The "board" presented in 1992: note that the logos of the NEC pad have been changed to Hudson.

IMG Buoyed by the Japanese success of the PC-Engine range, an overpowered 8-bit console, Hudson Soft launched the development of 32-bit technology at the end of 1990. About 2 years later, we are then in May 1992, a first prototype is presented: it is only a "board" (set of components arranged on a card). Composed of a central microprocessor HuC62320 ( 32-bit RISC, 10 Mips) and backed up by 5 coprocessors (sound management, input/output, color palette, sprites and special effects as well as compression/decompression of images), the set developed internally by Hudson is already defeating the competition then represented by 16-bit consoles and other computers. At this level of design, the storage device (cartridge, CD-ROM, etc.) and the manufacturer were not yet finalized. The project, then named Tetsujin (IronMan), made a strong impression in the specialized press. A probable commercialization was announced for January or June 1994...

IMG IMG IMG IMG
One of the graphic demos consists in choosing, between these 4 heads, a starting face and a finishing face. The machine then takes care of transforming choice 1 into choice 2 through a whole series of incredibly fluid animations. Very impressive (it seems).

IMG IMG IMG
Image quality, display speed, manipulation and animation of full surface 3D objects: with these demonstrations, Hudson strikes a great blow!

IMG
Diagram of architecture of the Tetsujin project.

...to radical changes

At the beginning of 1994, a new revelation: The Tetsujin project turned into the FX project. A manufacturer is announced. It is, of course, the mighty NEC, Hudson's partner from the PC Engine via its NEC HE branch (NEC Home Entertainment). Contrary to the plan initially envisioned, the microprocessor is no longer the HuC62320 but a much more powerful NEC V810. This seemingly innocuous change partly seals the fate of the machine: 3D is abandoned in favor of the manipulation of video images in real time. But why such a transformation will you tell me?

IMG IMG
These are the kinds of images that magazines filled us with at that time: They were supposed to show us the power of the architecture of the machine. In hindsight, the joke may seem amusing. I give you the comments of this great moment of journalism: 1) "this photo illustrates well the possibilities of transparency offered by the Alpha Channel (???) of FX" 2) "the shoot-'em-up on FX go wild »These photos illustrate the games Lords Of Thunder FX and Super Star Soldier FX, 2 shooter powerhouses that unfortunately were never made/marketed.

Several factors have to be taken into consideration. The first: the increase in the price of components supporting 3D. Those proposed and developed by Hudson are now much more expensive. The second: some of the technical characteristics of the future Sega Saturn are beginning to circulate in the middle and somewhat cool our 2 thieves (particularly those concerning the processing of mapped 3D). Finally: The unofficial announcement by Sony of its arrival on the console market. It is too much for NEC which forces Hudson to review its copy. The engineers of the Japanese tandem are now in a hurry by the Sega/Sony duo. By abandoning 3D, the bulk of the problem is solved: saving time and saving money. For the rest of the architecture, Hudson inflates the capacities of some of its components and NEC grafts a video system allowing unparalleled bitmap management. This change of direction will drastically lower the cost of the future console. As a result, Hudson and NEC aim to market the cheapest 32-bit consoled on the market. Finally, the compatibility between PC-Engine games and those of the FX is unfortunately not on the agenda. See you in a few months...

hmmm....

well, it seems the PC-FX specs were increased in some areas, such as the CPU and the video system for displaying smooth animation, but the 3D graphics sub-system was cut out.

now, it is possible that the PC-FX of 1994 contains all of the co-processors of the 1992 prototype board -- perhaps the 1992 prototype did not contain the planned 3D chipset ?

some years after the 'FX launched, there were rumors of a PowerVR graphics card upgrade -- if that had ever become a reality, of course it would've boosted the 3D graphics capabilities of the 3D-less 'FX well beyond what the original 3D-capable Tetsujin could've offered.

Dark Fact

HandyGrafx, all I see are little red X's. :cry:

Don't rob us viewers of the Tetsujin!
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

handygrafx

Dark Fact, you're right. damn.    I notice that if I use the FireFox browser, the pictures are displayed, but not when using Internet Explorer.   damn IE.

OldRover

Not displayed in Firefox either, the images are 403: Forbidden.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

handygrafx

okay here is the untranslated website, with the pictures (hopefully) where I got the article from:

https://www.grospixels.com/site/necpcfx.php

I'll try to get the pictures up somehow.

update:  some pictures are now up, more on the way.
update2: all pics now up, i hope.

Spoiler: IMG

Keranu

Ahh nice, I can see the pictures and now understand it better. Cool find, thanks.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"