Dumbest PC Engine 'Attract Mode' players

Started by _Paul, 04/22/2013, 01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

Wow, just watched the attract mode to Wataru and it's like a monkey with Parkinsons is playing it.

Can there be anything worse than this?

Arkhan Asylum

The Insanity one is pretty bad.

seeing as it doesn't have one.

my attract mode was "ooo swirly screen thingy!"

:) 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Ha! Very rarely, I remember actually learning techniques to use from an attract mode... That said, it was very rare. I haven't put Wataru in my PCE for a long, long time, but I'll take your word for it. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

I remember some game I was playing ages ago where if you used a certain Game Genie or PAR code for...whatever reason, infinite life or some shit, that it had the side effect of causing the player in attract mode to get stupid and just walk into a wall the whole time, or something like that.
IMG

Tatsujin

that..sounds..just..hilarious..my..sir
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 04/22/2013, 01:40 PMWow, just watched the attract mode to Wataru and it's like a monkey with Parkinsons is playing it.

Can there be anything worse than this?
MICHAEL J FOX IN ALPHA ZONES.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

I've noticed many games have terribly performing attract mode players, but what I find ridiculous is the attract modes that end within a few seconds, before you can get a feel for a game. What's the point of having one at all then?

Often while browsing Turbo/PCE videos on youtube, I decide to see how a Virtual Console review turns out. It's usually someone whose only Turbo playing experience is through VC, which is fine. But every negative review I've seen has been accompanied by terrible gameplay footage that looks like the player doesn't understand how to play 2D games in general. They always remind me of a terrible attract modes, the kind that look like a random set of control commands and not a real person playing the game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

I'm amazed at how bad the demo reals are for driving games a lot of the time, like, human demo reals, released by the actual publishers of the game or (worse) magazine reviewers. They'll be playing Forza or something and just smash into every fucking car and barrier they can find. Its like they don't know the point is to stay on the road and not hit anything. Sim games are not Mario Kart. Mutant League Football is not Madden.
IMG

RyuHayabusa

Not PC Engine but the attract mode for Highway Star (Rad Racer) for the Famicom is pretty terrible. The car accelerates and just keeps going straight, no turning at all. It just keeps wrecking and driving off the road.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on 04/23/2013, 06:04 PMNot PC Engine but the attract mode for Highway Star (Rad Racer) for the Famicom is pretty terrible. The car accelerates and just keeps going straight, no turning at all. It just keeps wrecking and driving off the road.
Well how else will you make stars on the highway, unless you explode into a giant fireball.

Tatsujin

There is a funny attract mode (credits) in outrun on saturn when you have beaten it.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PunkCryborg

Wow the JJ and Jeff attract mode player is worse then me....

esteban

THOUGHTS ON ATTRACT MODES:

Quote from: guest on 04/23/2013, 12:25 PM...but what I find ridiculous is the attract modes that end within a few seconds, before you can get a feel for a game. What's the point of having one at all then?
Ha! I know. :pcgs: Perhaps the point is to truly TANTALIZE you by only offering the briefest glimpse of the action. You had to play it to get a feel for it. QUARTER NO LONGER IN YOUR POCKET.

Also, ephemeral attract modes help curb crappy players from claiming they have the "skillz" to get to later stages and simply describing the attract mode as proof. I'm talking about BACK IN THE DAY, of course.

Quote from: MAGICAL CHASE HUNTER bragging to his pal ARIMAGICAL CHASE HUNTER: Dude, I got really far in Rush-N-Attack yesterday at the arcade. You should have seen me! I was on fire. HOT DAMN, I was on fire.

ARI: No shite?

MAGICAL CHASE HUNTER: Hellyeah! I dominated that game. Konami can suck my left one.

ARI: I think you are full of shite.

MAGICAL CHASE HUNTER: DUDE! I slaughtered Rush-N-Attack. Slaughtered. There were ICBM's and lasers and all this crazy shite in the last stage. I WAS DODGING LAZER BEAMZ. Slaughtered that bastard of a game.
Quote from: RyuHayabusa on 04/23/2013, 06:04 PMNot PC Engine but the attract mode for Highway Star (Rad Racer) for the Famicom is pretty terrible. The car accelerates and just keeps going straight, no turning at all. It just keeps wrecking and driving off the road.
In the arcade, the subliminal message would have been, "You know you can drive better than this! You will get your money's worth...STICK THE QUARTER IN ME. DEPOSIT IT IN ME."

A corollary to this...YOU DON'T WANT TO PROVIDE FOLKS WITH STRATEGIES FOR EASILY DOMINATING A GAME...it's a total spoiler if the demo/attract mode reveals too much. Allow the player to discover the best method for advancing in a game. Lot's of games, for example, have a weak/ineffectual weapon activated during demos. IN AN ACTUAL ARCADE: Attract modes that revealed crucial strategies would cut into the revenue stream.

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 04/25/2013, 09:20 PMWow the JJ and Jeff attract mode player is worse then me....
This is to encourage you to jump off ledges to discover hidden springs. WHICH BRINGS UP A NEW QUESTION: Have attract modes ever revealed secret rooms or easter eggs?

I am happy to enlighten you with my brilliance and humility...

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 04/27/2013, 02:07 PMTHOUGHTS ON ATTRACT MODES:

Quote from: CrackTiger on 04/23/2013, 12:25 PM...but what I find ridiculous is the attract modes that end within a few seconds, before you can get a feel for a game. What's the point of having one at all then?
Ha! I know. :pcgs: Perhaps the point is to truly TANTALIZE you by only offering the briefest glimpse of the action. You had to play it to get a feel for it. QUARTER NO LONGER IN YOUR POCKET.

Also, ephemeral attract modes help curb crappy players from claiming they have the "skillz" to get to later stages and simply describing the attract mode as proof. I'm talking about BACK IN THE DAY, of course.

Quote from: MAGICAL CHASE HUNTER bragging to his pal ARIMAGICAL CHASE HUNTER: Dude, I got really far in Rush-N-Attack yesterday at the arcade. You should have seen me! I was on fire. HOT DAMN, I was on fire.

ARI: No shite?

MAGICAL CHASE HUNTER: Hellyeah! I dominated that game. Konami can suck my left one.

ARI: I think you are full of shite.

MAGICAL CHASE HUNTER: DUDE! I slaughtered Rush-N-Attack. Slaughtered. There were ICBM's and lasers and all this crazy shite in the last stage. I WAS DODGING LAZER BEAMZ. Slaughtered that bastard of a game.
In the arcade, the subliminal message would have been, "You know you can drive better than this! You will get your money's worth...STICK THE QUARTER IN ME. DEPOSIT IT IN ME."

A corollary to this...YOU DON'T WANT TO PROVIDE FOLKS WITH STRATEGIES FOR EASILY DOMINATING A GAME...it's a total spoiler if the demo/attract mode reveals too much. Allow the player to discover the best method for advancing in a game. Lot's of games, for example, have a weak/ineffectual weapon activated during demos. IN AN ACTUAL ARCADE: Attract modes that revealed crucial strategies would cut into the revenue stream.

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 04/25/2013, 09:20 PMWow the JJ and Jeff attract mode player is worse then me....
This is to encourage you to jump off ledges to discover hidden springs. WHICH BRINGS UP A NEW QUESTION: Have attract modes ever revealed secret rooms or easter eggs?

I am happy to enlighten you with my brilliance and humility...
Maria's Technic in Dracula X tries to demonstrate how to pull of her special move.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Bardoly

In Super Metroid, they show Samus doing the turn-a-power-bomb-into-a-full-energy-recharge trick, I believe.

BigusSchmuck

In Super Mario 3 I believe they show you how you can hide behind platforms but don`t tell you the correct color that allows you to do it.

TR0N

Legendary Axe any one the player just runs into enemy's and falls into a pit  :lol:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

WingZeroKai

If you use a moon jump code in Super Mario World, Mario misses a jump and walks into an enemy and dies. Then you get to control the attract mode.

whisper2053

I was playing Air Zonk last night, and kept waiting for the attract mode to actually do something. And waiting. And waiting...

It's not in vein of stupid AM players, but I figured that for a game as awesome as that one, there would at least be something to see :(
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

esteban

I enjoyed all the examples of Le Stupid and Le Useful attract modes. :)

Quote from: guest link=msg=293323 date=Maria's Technic in Dracula X tries to demonstrate how to pull of her special move.
Ha! That's pretty damn kool. :)

Quote from: Bardoly on 04/27/2013, 09:12 PMIn Super Metroid, they show Samus doing the turn-a-power-bomb-into-a-full-energy-recharge trick, I believe.
Damn, I never knew that. :)

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 04/28/2013, 01:37 AMIn Super Mario 3 I believe they show you how you can hide behind platforms but don`t tell you the correct color that allows you to do it.
I like this: to suggest techniques and possibilities. :)