PC Engine Hookups?

Started by retroguy, 04/24/2013, 07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retroguy

Hey guys! I found a pretty good deal on a regular white PC Engine with 10 games, but I've never had a Japanese console before, so I need to know a few things:

1. Will my TG16 AC adapter work with it, or would I need a different one?
2. Can I use any RF cord (like my spare NES one) or does the PCE use a custom one?
3. Which channel would I need to put my TV on to play it?
I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.

CrackTiger

You can use a model 1 Genesis AC adaptor and any old RF switch, but the channels are usually in the 90's, but not always the same depending on your TV. If you get an AV Booster or CD-ROM, you can just use composite/stereo rca cables.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

turbokon

What's the link to this good deal so I can snag it since my pce is toast at the moment.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

retroguy

Sorry, man, I snagged it myself. That's just the way game chasin' go. I'll tell you, though, that it was an Ebay sale from Hit Japan. They seem to list new stuff frequently and it's usually very reasonably priced by Ebay standards, so if you need a new console, I'd check their listings. I got the system and a seperate lot of ten games for $107 shipped, which doesn't seem too bad considering most Ebay sellers charge ridiculous amounts for shipping from outside the US. I usually can't afford to buy a lot like that, but for once, I could afford it. Yay me. Thanks for the info, Black Tiger. Much appreciated.
I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.

CrackTiger

You should check the forum thoroughly first. For a while now, I've had for sale a Coregrafx II with all the hookups, Tennokoe II, PCE Tap and a bunch of games for $100.

Hopefully the games you got are good. There are often 100 games for $100 shipped type lots on eBay, because PCE games are so cheap.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esadajr

Quote from: retroguy on 04/24/2013, 09:33 AMSorry, man, I snagged it myself. That's just the way game chasin' go. I'll tell you, though, that it was an Ebay sale from Hit Japan. They seem to list new stuff frequently and it's usually very reasonably priced by Ebay standards, so if you need a new console, I'd check their listings. I got the system and a seperate lot of ten games for $107 shipped, which doesn't seem too bad considering most Ebay sellers charge ridiculous amounts for shipping from outside the US. I usually can't afford to buy a lot like that, but for once, I could afford it. Yay me. Thanks for the info, Black Tiger. Much appreciated.
I agree, they can be reasonable with item pricing and combining EMS shipping. Also they review your offers (ie no automatic rejects) which is great. Last time I ordered from them, they accepted all my offers.
Gaming since 1985

retroguy

I thought I had checked the forums pretty thoroughly, but I missed yours (I only looked back as far as January 'cause I figured any older listings were probably gone already). As for what games I got, the lot was $30 and three of the ten games are text-heavy RPGs (bummer), but I figured it was worth it for Final Soldier, Dragon Spirit, Victory Run and Energy. The others are Spin Pair, Keith Courage and Power League.

CrackTiger

Quote from: retroguy on 04/24/2013, 10:32 AMI thought I had checked the forums pretty thoroughly, but I missed yours (I only looked back as far as January 'cause I figured any older listings were probably gone already). As for what games I got, the lot was $30 and three of the ten games are text-heavy RPGs (bummer), but I figured it was worth it for Final Soldier, Dragon Spirit, Victory Run and Energy. The others are Spin Pair, Keith Courage and Power League.
Sounds like what you got was fair (if the console and games are pretty clean and not worn), but not really a great deal. But at least you didn't get gouged as many similar lots on eBay are priced. :)

turboswimbz

If the cards and things aren't in good shape, I just got a bunch of loose hueys from hit-japan via e-bay. ($2 each including shipping) And a few were in bad shape, They agreed to send me replacments for the broken damaged cards no questions asked since the listing inticated better shape.  Not bad considering the cost of shipping and the price at which I bought em'.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

NecroPhile

If you're moderately handy, don't bother with RF and instead tap composite (much better looking) off the expansion port.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

egg_sanwich

Quote from: guest on 04/24/2013, 12:55 PMIf you're moderately handy, don't bother with RF and instead tap composite (much better looking) off the expansion port.
I second that. It cost me about a buck and works like a charm. He's an easy to follow guide: http://www.cgquarterly.com/articles/tg16_cable.htm