Reminiscence... Playing games in school on your TI calculator...

Started by BlueBMW, 04/29/2013, 12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

The year... 1998 or so...  location... Littleton, Colorado:
  Here I was, a nerdy kid just starting high school.  I had my fancy TI-85 calculator.  We didn't have internet at home so what we did was use a 56k modem to dial up network to my dad's office.  This netted me an actual connection speed about about 10k or so.  It was dreadfully slow but it was enough to access sites such as ticalc.org to download games for my calculator.  After spending some $80 or so on a TI Graph Link cable, my calculator gaming career began.

I took my fancy TI-85 and downloaded a "system backup" image to it which contained Usgard, an assembly "shell" that would allow me to run assembly programs.  After that I could download as many games as that little z80 based glory device could hold (which wasnt many).  So while the math teacher was rattling on about pythagorean theorums and area formulas for various polygons, I was striving to beat my high school in Ztetris or saving the galaxy in Zmercury.  Yeah sure I could have played game boy color or game gear for some portable fun, but I couldnt do that IN CLASS...

As time went on, I eventually picked up a TI-82 at a pawn shop and later a TI86 and TI89.  At one point I had four graphing calculators in my backpack.  Each had different games on them (well the TI82 had just one huge RPG on it that took all its memory)  Even at lunch I'd play games.  You have to remember, we werent exactly allowed to bring portable games to school and this was before cell phones had anything more than maybe Snake. (crazy I know!)

Here's a few screen shots of some of my favorites:

BomberBloke for the TI86.. excellent Bomberman clone:
IMG

Super Mario 86 for the TI86..  very good mario game that featured GRAYSCALE. I cant remember for sure, but it may have also been this game that had SOUND.  You had to get a 3.5 to 2.5mm headphones adapter and connect headphones to the link port.  Sound was very basic, but it was there!
IMG

Sqrxz for multiple.. a good mario clone
IMG

Ztetris for multiple.. a perfect Tetris game.  This one was available on pretty much all the TI calculators and supported two player via a calculator link cable!
IMG

Boulderdash for the TI-89..  I loved boulderdash on my Atari 800, so playing it on the go was great!
IMG

And now looking up some stuff on ticalc.org (which I might add looks the same as it did when I browsed there as a kid!)  some people have made some pretty awesome stuff in the last 10 years!

Even better mario games..
IMG
Zelda!!
IMG
Metroid!?
IMG
FZERO!!
IMG

And I also just learned that someone made a full out game boy emulator for the TI-89/92/92+ series.

GAMING DEVICE:
IMG

ANYWAYS,  any of you goons play any of this stuff while you were in school?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 04/29/2013, 01:05 AMDRUG WARS MOTHER FUCKER.
I was waiting for someone to mention that one!!   Yeah before I could download assembly games, I was stuck with whatever I could grab off of friend's calculators... things like Drug Wars were your typical BASIC fare :D
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

OldMan

I remember building link cables for that thing, so my newphew could install some ML montor program....
And Drug Wars.

esteban

You and your fancy calculator skills. I didn't own one in high school (89-93), I borrowed one from school. But I wasn't captivated by the calculator: I was obsessed with making demos/simple games on Apple IIgs (computer lab in school). I was in that lab whenever I had free time (no computer at home).

Sorry calculator, I dreamed of computer. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

jeffhlewis

Yup, Drug Wars was it back in the day because nobody owned a damn link cable except for a few nerds.

We had a version of tetris, some raycasting demo and a bunch of your standard BASIC-type programs. I remember we used to draw out notes with the pixel-drawing tool (forgot what it was called - you could save screenshots of what you drew/wrote and you could fill the page with a ton of information) - our teacher would check for "MEM CLEAR" before each test so I just wrote a basic program that would display MEM CLEAR and then flip over to my pixel notes after putting in a code.

Kind of miss those calculators but even back then I could never understand why the damn things cost $150+ when they were running a 1980's TI processor and a screen that was worse than the Gameboy's.

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

My TI came with a link cable.

Sucks to be you old fogies.

:D

I had a pretty cool skate or die game too.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

I had a Casio, so no fancy games.  :|

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 04/29/2013, 09:39 AMKind of miss those calculators but even back then I could never understand why the damn things cost $150+ when they were running a 1980's TI processor and a screen that was worse than the Gameboy's.
It's no better now: $100+ for a screen, cpu, and memory that's lightyears behind any comparably priced smart phone.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

xcrement5x

Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

csgx1

This brings back a lot of memories.  I had a TI-85 and TI-86.  I remember playing a lot of ztetris, bomberbloke and drug wars in calculus class.  Some of the other games I remember playing were zkart, plane jumper, othello, space invaders and a slow Mega Man game.

turbokon

Damn I feel old. While you were staring high school, I just starting college. I had a TI-85 and had Tetris, super Mario land and blackjack loaded.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

BlueBMW

Quote from: turbokon on 04/29/2013, 04:19 PMDamn I feel old. While you were staring high school, I just starting college. I had a TI-85 and had Tetris, super Mario land and blackjack loaded.
And I'm in college now with all these 18 somethings....  Im feeling particularly old!

turboswimbz

Quote from: BlueBMW on 04/29/2013, 09:25 PM
Quote from: turbokon on 04/29/2013, 04:19 PMDamn I feel old. While you were staring high school, I just starting college. I had a TI-85 and had Tetris, super Mario land and blackjack loaded.
And I'm in college now with all these 18 somethings....  Im feeling particularly old!
Blue have you gotten - "You were born in the 80's damn your old" yet?  I got this for the first time recently thanks to those 18 somethings.  All I could think was Shit I'm 26 - when did 26 become old?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

SignOfZeta

I was a dumb kid. Never took the classes that required such gear.

I don't think anyone I know that did take those classes actually remembers any of that shit 20 years later now though so in the end we're all on the same page. :)
IMG

BlueBMW

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/29/2013, 10:00 PMI was a dumb kid. Never took the classes that required such gear.

I don't think anyone I know that did take those classes actually remembers any of that shit 20 years later now though so in the end we're all on the same page. :)
So true... I took Calculus in high school and ended up in developmental math when I went back to college a mere 6 years later...

Quote from: turboswimbz on 04/29/2013, 09:27 PMBlue have you gotten - "You were born in the 80's damn your old" yet?  I got this for the first time recently thanks to those 18 somethings.  All I could think was Shit I'm 26 - when did 26 become old?
I havent got that yet, but its strange talking to kids born after 2000...

Arkhan Asylum

TheClash603

I didn't know that you could do this shit!  I would've loved playing some games on my calculator back in the day.

I actually programmed my own game over the course of a few weeks of boredom in class.  It was a text choose your own adventure game, where it would just give a sentence and then a few choices.  I remember a few people would ask to borrow my calculator in class so they could play my gem.

I don't remember much about the game other than you were a man who woke up with amnesia and you had to find your identity.  In the twist ending, you find out you are actually Hitler and you lose anyway.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/01/2013, 05:09 PMI didn't know that you could do this shit!  I would've loved playing some games on my calculator back in the day.
man, that is crazy talk.

RoyVegas

Had I known you could play games at school, I just might have actually shown up a few more days...
All is well. :)

tggodfrey

i could never figure how loading games was done. I still have my TI81 and TI86.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

CGQuarterly

I'm disappointed in you, Beamer.  $80 for a link cable?  I made my own.  First thing I ever soldered together, actually.

Chris

BlueBMW

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 05/03/2013, 02:37 AMI'm disappointed in you, Beamer.  $80 for a link cable?  I made my own.  First thing I ever soldered together, actually.

Chris
I know... i had even looked up how to do it.  At that age though, my access to the right tools and supplies was somewhat limited.

CGQuarterly

Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/04/2013, 08:20 AM
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 05/03/2013, 02:37 AMI'm disappointed in you, Beamer.  $80 for a link cable?  I made my own.  First thing I ever soldered together, actually.

Chris
I know... i had even looked up how to do it.  At that age though, my access to the right tools and supplies was somewhat limited.
Oh.  I made mine back in 1998 when I was 21 and in community college.  I bought a TI-89 right when it came out.  At that time you couldn't just buy the link cable in stores - you had to send away for it.  Well I was way too impatient for that so I found some plans online for making a link cable that plugged into your parallel (not serial) port.  Went down to Radio Shack and bought the cheapest soldering iron that they had, plus the parts to make the cable.  I wish I still had it, just for fun.  Of course I have a USB model now.  Still have the same TI-89, though, along with an 83 and a couple of HP 48's (one G and one GX.)  those HPs are cool for games because they have sound.  VERY rudimentary though.

Chris

Arkhan Asylum

Mine came with my calculator!

BWAJHHAHAHfhsghahahahahaahahHWHAHahahaha

I still have my TI-83 also, and it's sitting doing nothing.

Did you know the ## in TI-## has nothing to do with the calculator itself.    Supposedly the number is the graduating year of the lead calculator-warlord who made the thing.

So whoever made the 89 graduated in 89. 

At least, that's what I've been told.

So eventually we are going to have a TI-00 and people will shit their pants.