Bloody Wolf vs. M.E.R.C.S. - Which is better?

Started by FraGMarE, 12/22/2013, 11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloody Wolf vs. M.E.R.C.S. - Which is better?

Bloody Wolf
14 (66.7%)
M.E.R.C.S.
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

FraGMarE

CrackTiger

Bloody Wolf<X------------------------>Mercs
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

OldRover

Talk about your all-time no-brainers here... :lol:
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Otaking

Bloody Wolf is a great game but probably due to nostalgia I'm gonna have to disOBEY and choose Mercs.
 :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Ninja Spirit

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

ccovell

Mercs is better produced, executed, has far better graphics, and awesome music.  I'd say it's superior in almost every way -- but then I remembered that Mercs is also brainless and gets boring fast.  BW has more strategy and technique on each stage, and the ridiculous dialogue (esp. in the arcade) endears it more to me.

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

FraGMarE

Personally, I think, all things considered, these games are pretty well equal except for one thing... MERCS HAS DAMN 2 PLAYER MODE!  Yea, I know the TG16 Bloody Wolf has extra stages, but c'mon, a 2p mode could still have been managed.  My vote goes to Mercs on this one.  DisOBEYed, sorry.

A Black Falcon

Uh, Genesis Mercs doesn't have a two player mode, it's a one player only game.

That said, I've played a lot of Mercs and it's an absolutely fantastic game, one of the best run & guns of the time.  Bloody Wolf, though, I'm not sure... I haven't played it nearly as much, but what I have played of it doesn't seem nearly as impressive.  So probably Mercs is better.

However, Legend of the Valkyrie... that game is probably in the same genre, and it's every bit as good as Mercs.

CrackTiger

Quote from: fragmare on 12/22/2013, 08:23 PMPersonally, I think, all things considered, these games are pretty well equal except for one thing... MERCS HAS DAMN 2 PLAYER MODE!  Yea, I know the TG16 Bloody Wolf has extra stages, but c'mon, a 2p mode could still have been managed.  My vote goes to Mercs on this one.  DisOBEYed, sorry.
Bloody Wolf is a 2 player game. Mercs is a 2 player game.

Console ports of each are 1 player only.

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2013, 10:00 PM
Quote from: fragmare on 12/22/2013, 08:23 PMPersonally, I think, all things considered, these games are pretty well equal except for one thing... MERCS HAS DAMN 2 PLAYER MODE!  Yea, I know the TG16 Bloody Wolf has extra stages, but c'mon, a 2p mode could still have been managed.  My vote goes to Mercs on this one.  DisOBEYed, sorry.

I hacked the arcade rom of BW to run on the PC-Engine (though with glitches). It's been forever, but doesn't the arcade version of BW support 2 players simultaneously? Can't remember if I hacked the arcade rom to support the TAP or not. That was like.. 6 years ago.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: TurboXray on 12/22/2013, 11:00 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/22/2013, 10:00 PM

I hacked the arcade rom of BW to run on the PC-Engine (though with glitches). It's been forever, but doesn't the arcade version of BW support 2 players simultaneously? Can't remember if I hacked the arcade rom to support the TAP or not. That was like.. 6 years ago.
Yeah, I have that somewhere in my archives, though I never checked it for 2 playerability. :/
IMG

awack

I cant decide so just to close so  im just going to pick Red Alert arguably the best over head military action game on the three 16bit systems.

Tatsujin

i'm not so much of a MD mercs fan knowing how much better the arcade is compared. altough i own it, i prefer to play it whenever on the PS1 cap. generation than on the MD.

therefore i'll go with bloody wolf, since it is a more ingenious game and very close to its arcade pendant :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

rtyper

I'd like to have experienced the 3 player arcade version of mercs, 'cos the MD/GEN 1 player version was tripe.
Perhaps that's why, it was designed as a multiplayer game and lost it in the conversion??
Gamers complained that the PCE/TG16 only had 1 controller port but Sega conversions rarely had 2 player options, yet nobody seemed to complain (in the mags, anyway, f'kin sega fanbois) despite the console having the 'superior' 2 controller ports.
mercs
forgotten worlds
hellfire
zerowing
to name a few.
Bloody Wolf is ok, not overwhelming, the gfx are ok and the music is great.
Do the 'hostages' actually provide gameplay hints as I've only played the JPN version, gets hard fairly quick. perhaps I'm missing something.

Otaking

My vote for Mercs was based on nostalgia for the arcade version, I never really played Genesissy version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

kiketonto

Tatsujin

i just compared few levels of bloddy wolf PCE vs. Arcade, and it's funny how different both games looking and sounding, and i have to say in the favor of the PCE, that in many areas it looks quite better and more fibrant (colors) than the arcade, but the arcade plays faster and more arcadish.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/23/2013, 11:12 AMi just compared few levels of bloddy wolf PCE vs. Arcade, and it's funny how different both games looking and sounding, and i have to say in the favor of the PCE, that in many areas it looks quite better and more fibrant (colors) than the arcade, but the arcade plays faster and more arcadish.
Have you tried "Bloody Wolf 2" in the Turbo/PCE version?

TurboXray

Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/23/2013, 11:12 AMi just compared few levels of bloddy wolf PCE vs. Arcade, and it's funny how different both games looking and sounding, and i have to say in the favor of the PCE, that in many areas it looks quite better and more fibrant (colors) than the arcade, but the arcade plays faster and more arcadish.
The arcade version is shorter. It's missing the second half of the game of the home port, IIRC. Plus, the arcade version runs at 30fps while the home port runs at 60fps (though there's slow down in the home port). The home port is the superior version.

Mercs on the Genesis also has a 'original' mode to choose from, that's only privy to the home version.

PukeSter

Quote from: rtyper on 12/23/2013, 08:01 AMDo the 'hostages' actually provide gameplay hints as I've only played the JPN version, gets hard fairly quick. perhaps I'm missing something.
They don't give hints, except stuff like "Watch out for bridges! Fall off and you die!"

I literally just beat (for the 2nd time) Bloody Wolf, good thing for infinite continues.

The final boss is almost impossible, even with Turbo fire.

PCEngineHell

Like them both equally. Both bring some great stuff to the table.

FraGMarE

Oh shit, I thought megadrive Mercs had 2p... in that case, they're dead even, imo

oldskool

esteban

I love me some Bloody Wolf.

I won't kick MERCS out of my car, but I love me some Bloody Wolf.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

Mercs should have been a PCE SCD game, it would have been by far the better game.

PukeSter

Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/25/2013, 08:12 PMMercs should have been a PCE SCD game, it would have been by far the better game.
Last Alert? :)

Mzo

Gonna have to go with MERCS on this one =[

Bloody Wolf is really fun, too, though!  Why must they fight?
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 12/25/2013, 08:52 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/25/2013, 08:12 PMMercs should have been a PCE SCD game, it would have been by far the better game.
Last Alert? :)
No, more in the manner of how they did port forgotten worlds, chiki chiki boys and the such  :)