NEC Turbografx-16 UNIT SERVICE MANUAL

Started by RoyVegas, 12/24/2013, 10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyVegas

This Service Manual was found by PCEFX member Oldskool.  I'll let him tell the story of how he was lucky enough to come across it. The full manual is up in jpg for quick viewing and PDF download at these places:

https://archives.tg-16.com/magazine_database.htm?col=pub&val=man
https://archives.tg-16.com/MISC/TurboGrafx-16-Service-Manual.pdf

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
All is well. :)

Tatsujin

oh nice.. looking forward to see the CPU/GRFX  specs in details :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Dude, scan that bad boy and I'll host it with all the instruction/service manuals. You know it belongs here:

...next to the United Amusements TG16 JAMMA Conversion Kit!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

Umm... why is it wrong? :lol: 256x216? I already distrust it.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Fidde_se

Scan it, this got me so excited I had to scan my IFU manual and put it up here,
been thinking of it for a long time, but this got me up and running.

http://www.retrosampling.se/Temp/IFU-30/NEC%20IFU-30%20Manual%20(Japanese).pdf
esteban you can put this up there too. it's big 37mb, in lower quality it looks like crap.

Just think of the things we could accomplish with a service manual...
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: Fidde_se on 12/26/2013, 08:00 PMScan it, this got me so excited I had to scan my IFU manual and put it up here,

esteban you can put this up there too. it's big 37mb, in lower quality it looks like crap.

Awesome, I'll certainly upload that later tonight.

:pcgs:

Bernie

Quote from: Fidde_se on 12/26/2013, 08:00 PMScan it, this got me so excited I had to scan my IFU manual and put it up here,

Nice clean scans!  Excellent.  :)

VestCunt

Holy shit this is awesome. Looking forward to the scans.
Topic Adjourned.

NecroPhile

It's all greek to me, but that's pretty neato.  Thanks for sharing, Roy.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 12/27/2013, 03:10 PMIt's all greek to me, but that's pretty neato.  Thanks for sharing, Roy.
Most of it makes no sense to me also but hopefully the repair/mod guys find out something helpful.

Interesting note:
Check on page 8. It mentions a "test jig" and a"diagnostic card" so, they must exist.  [-o&lt;

esteban

OK, this is now available:

NEC IFU-30 Manual (Japanese)

List ALL MANUALS (Service/Game/Hardware)

Feel free to scan more!   :wink:

TheClash603

Quote from: RoyVegas on 12/27/2013, 03:18 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/27/2013, 03:10 PMIt's all greek to me, but that's pretty neato.  Thanks for sharing, Roy.
Most of it makes no sense to me also but hopefully the repair/mod guys find out something helpful.

Interesting note:
Check on page 8. It mentions a "test jig" and a"diagnostic card" so, they must exist.  [-o&lt;
The guy from whom you got the manual didn't have any info regarding the diagnostic card?  Maybe we just need to strong arm him PCFX style.

Fidde_se

Well this is superb.

There is no real need for high res as the resolution is good enough, but... a flatbed scanner
would straighten it out, orientation and angles can always be fixed afterwards.

So if you just would scan it someday I could clean them up realigned them and make a nice PDF for you, it would probably take about 10-15 effective hours, but it would be so worth it, and it would never have to be done again...

/TG16%20Service%20Manual%20Example%20(Before).tif
/TG16%20Service%20Manual%20Example.tif

That's how it could look minus the unevenness..

The test jig sounds particularly fun, all mass produced electronics have a test jig,
but it's usually a pull down design with pins connecting to different solder points on the SEC side.
and there's usually two also, one for the PCB makers so that the PCB is ok from the start
as the PCB is the most important component, you can change everything else afterwards
but if that's not ok from the start then it goes to the discard bin,
and then once it's mounted and soldered it's put in the main test jig.

But this seems to be a service jig, which also mean they existed in the states, the others would never left japan (manufacturer origin), and it's EXT based... I always suspected a test huey like the one for Atari Lynx (Diagnostic Cartridge), but that only tested colours and buttons, and this is totally automatic as it send the controller functions back with that controller endplug.

The first two jigs keeps laying around for a year or two after a product ends but then gets rebuilt with moved pins for other products, but a service jig has no other purpose, there might still be one out there, in the states...
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/

BlueBMW

I know there is supposedly a pioneer test hucard for the laseractive, so there must be a test card for the more common systems.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

esteban

I hate to burst your bubble, but NEC was clearly referring to dancing a jig when testing the hardware.

Tatsujin

i love the part where they desrcibe the colors of the system :D
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/28/2013, 03:09 AMi love the part where they desrcibe the colors of the system :D
Uber-technical = science of color

CGQuarterly

oldskool

Hey everyone yes it was me that found this. 

I just about shit a brick when I picked it up in my hands.  Truly a miracle!  I was hoping that SOMEONE could possibly learn something new from this manual, whether it's for modding, repairs, or programming.  I would like to think that the schematics are WAY better than anything else that was available before.

Rather than hoarding this and keeping it from the community we have decided to share it all with you.  It was a gift to Roy from me for Christmas.  As far as the scans go and the find is concerned - as long as Roy and I get credit for the find and posting it I think that would be sufficient for both of us.  As far as selling the original it's Roy's and if he is to ever get rid of it - it will go back to me for safe keeping so don't even think about it.   :-)

Oh and it's good to be back (kind of).  I'm sure some of you MIGHT remember me...  been here for a while but not in the past few years.  When the chat went away I pretty much did as well.  Good times.

Basically here's the deal - the stuff was found in an ex NEC technician employees garage 20+ years later.  There was SO much NEC stuff in that garage, this book is just the beginning.  I also found all sorts of other stuff..  new model 1 CD drives still in their white boxes.  A new Turbografx-16 console complete with foam blocks and everything (minus the outer box), 2 docking bases, 2 docking base AC Adapters, 2 system 2.0 cards, 2 brand new Turbosticks, hoards of other controllers and turbosticks, a turbo-booster, just only a couple games.  Found the manual, and other NEC repair manuals for various VHS players and NEC Laptops.

Get this also found BRAND new NEC Multispeed HD laptop.  Look it up, quite interesting and powerful for the time.  It runs on MS DOS 3.2 and has a built in 20MB HD - and a backlit screen - this was all very advanced in 1987.  It came with every manual and I even got the technicians manuals for it as well. 

The place is still CHOCK full so the test jig just MAY still be in there.  I am still welcome to the place to see what else I can find any time.  It's like the biggest NEC find in general ever. 

I know off topic, but also got an NEC VHS Camcorder - thing sits on top of your shoulders, came in the box with the foam blocks and everything also - but dead battery.  Also can't figure out how to make the thing rw/ff/pause/play/rec.  Nothing seems to make the tape respond.  Is there some kind of copy protection on the VHS tapes or something I tried using? 

I can go on and on - found so many other technical manuals - a C64 technicians diagnostic data sheet, bins and bins full of drive belts and other old electronics repair parts, etc etc.

I don't want to make this too long of a story and not bragging but everything was FREE.  Just wanted it all out of his garage.

Should I go back?  I seemt to recall boxes and boxes of old computer parts, several server looking cases with motherboards in them (maybe Turbografx development computers?), etc etc. 

Roy thats great that you got pictures up!  Were you able to get it scanned?  I was hoping we could maybe get some clean scans of it.  I personally wanted to assemble the images into a PDF file and then will probably have Roy upload it to esteban's site or wherever you all think it fits best.  If anyone is good at assembling images into a PDF file with hyperlinks (so you can skip around using the table of contents for example) then fire away some tips on that. 

ok back to some Lords of Thunder..

esteban

Quote from: oldskool on 12/29/2013, 11:18 AMHey everyone yes it was me that found this. 

I just about shit a brick when I picked it up in my hands.  Truly a miracle!  I was hoping that SOMEONE could possibly learn something new from this manual, whether it's for modding, repairs, or programming.  I would like to think that the schematics are WAY better than anything else that was available before.

Rather than hoarding this and keeping it from the community we have decided to share it all with you.  It was a gift to Roy from me for Christmas.  As far as the scans go and the find is concerned - as long as Roy and I get credit for the find and posting it I think that would be sufficient for both of us.  As far as selling the original it's Roy's and if he is to ever get rid of it - it will go back to me for safe keeping so don't even think about it.   :-)

Oh and it's good to be back (kind of).  I'm sure some of you MIGHT remember me...  been here for a while but not in the past few years.  When the chat went away I pretty much did as well.  Good times.

Basically here's the deal - the stuff was found in an ex NEC technician employees garage 20+ years later.  There was SO much NEC stuff in that garage, this book is just the beginning.  I also found all sorts of other stuff..  new model 1 CD drives still in their white boxes.  A new Turbografx-16 console complete with foam blocks and everything (minus the outer box), 2 docking bases, 2 docking base AC Adapters, 2 system 2.0 cards, 2 brand new Turbosticks, hoards of other controllers and turbosticks, a turbo-booster, just only a couple games.  Found the manual, and other NEC repair manuals for various VHS players and NEC Laptops.

Get this also found BRAND new NEC Multispeed HD laptop.  Look it up, quite interesting and powerful for the time.  It runs on MS DOS 3.2 and has a built in 20MB HD - and a backlit screen - this was all very advanced in 1987.  It came with every manual and I even got the technicians manuals for it as well. 

The place is still CHOCK full so the test jig just MAY still be in there.  I am still welcome to the place to see what else I can find any time.  It's like the biggest NEC find in general ever. 

I know off topic, but also got an NEC VHS Camcorder - thing sits on top of your shoulders, came in the box with the foam blocks and everything also - but dead battery.  Also can't figure out how to make the thing rw/ff/pause/play/rec.  Nothing seems to make the tape respond.  Is there some kind of copy protection on the VHS tapes or something I tried using? 

I can go on and on - found so many other technical manuals - a C64 technicians diagnostic data sheet, bins and bins full of drive belts and other old electronics repair parts, etc etc.

I don't want to make this too long of a story and not bragging but everything was FREE.  Just wanted it all out of his garage.

Should I go back?  I seemt to recall boxes and boxes of old computer parts, several server looking cases with motherboards in them (maybe Turbografx development computers?), etc etc. 

Roy thats great that you got pictures up!  Were you able to get it scanned?  I was hoping we could maybe get some clean scans of it.  I personally wanted to assemble the images into a PDF file and then will probably have Roy upload it to esteban's site or wherever you all think it fits best.  If anyone is good at assembling images into a PDF file with hyperlinks (so you can skip around using the table of contents for example) then fire away some tips on that. 

ok back to some Lords of Thunder..
The jig and Diagnostic HuCARD  are in there. YOU MUST FIND THEM.

schweaty

Holy gold mine, Batman!  Kick-ass find, oldskool!  PM'd ya.

SuperPlay

RoyVegas

Quote from: oldskool on 12/29/2013, 11:18 AMWere you able to get it scanned?
Yep. It's too big to email since I scanned it in 600x600dpi, and since you're walking distance from me, I'm going to make you come get it. lol

Fidde_se

Oldskool get over there with a flashdrive, and start uploading so we can start making your find
looking like a newly released PDF =)

He doesn't have that turbografx cd-rom midi player or what it was in the garage?
PC-8801 used a straight CD-ROM2 on top of the tower as cdrom player, still only in japan
but who knows what hides back there, overlooked for decades.

NightWolve

Nice find! I PM'ed thesteve and Bonknuts just to make sure they don't miss this. Looks like it could be useful to modders/hackers, etc..

I see this one being useful, or could've been useful had it be found long time ago:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv33/royvegas/Turbografx-16%20Unit%20Service%20Manual/20131227_095048.jpg

It's the schematic for the HuC6260 video chip. On the right where you see all those transistors is where you can follow the Luma/Y, Red-Y, Blue-Y mixer/amplifier circuit that produces the Composite signal and other stuff, etc.

thesteve

oldskool

That's exactly what we were thinking.  I think it will be useful to a lot of people actually.  Hopefully the community can learn something from it.  I think for modding it might be able to simplify things too. 

Gonna get that soon keep an eye out!

Fidde_se

Sounds good oldschool
That midi player I talked about has been discussed here at the forum at some point but still it's very very uncommon:
IMG

I guess it's a standard Turbografx CD, which mean it would also work with CD-ROM2

That PC-8801 Tower I mentioned can be seen here:
IMG
IMG

Also when looking around I saw these two. so familiar but still.. probably a addon for
one of the necs computer systems, might even be compatible with CD-ROM2, there even existed a cable for the CD-ROM2 and software so you could use it on a normal PC, don't know if that ever got out in the open.
http://www.retrosampling.se/Temp/images6EDSWIOS.jpg
http://www.retrosampling.se/Temp/images7HUG9GKO.jpg

This is all a little off topic =) but hey

Tatsujin

i have one of those white CD-Roms (from the last two pics) :)

Fidde_se

Allrighty then, what's they're model number and what are they for?

Their lid design is closer to TGCD then CD-ROM2 except they're in white.

thesteve

Anything more on this?
I'm waiting on scans of the schematics 2

RoyVegas

Quote from: thesteve on 01/16/2014, 02:58 PMAnything more on this?
I'm waiting on scans of the schematics
oldskool wanted to do some fancy stuff with the PDF before posting it. I sent him a text last night to remind him to come by and pick up the thumb drive with the scans but he's out of town until Sunday.

ConHuevos

Is there a Duo version of this manual and do you happen to have it?

RoyVegas

Quote from: ConHuevos on 01/18/2014, 03:10 PMIs there a Duo version of this manual and do you happen to have it?
I would guess that one would probably exist but if it does I haven't seen it yet.

oldskool

Here it is everyone.  I didn't bother with formatting it or creating hyperlinks and things, but if anyone wants to spruce it up a bit that would be pretty cool.  I was thinking it would be neat to be able to click certain things (like on the table of contents for instance) and it link you to different areas of the manual.  Say there is a mention of a certain chip, you can click it and it will take you to the blow up schematic of that chip for example.  Maybe a "Back" button to take you back to the table of contents, etc etc.  If anyone wants to try that be my guest.  I was going to do it but if anyone else wants to undertake it and post a revised edition that would be awesome.

Anyways, here is the link to the direct download.  When you click the link click the RECTANGULAR GRAY DOWNLOAD BUTTON and then put your Captcha in. 

http://www.filedropper.com/tgxservicemanual

Hope you all enjoy!  Thanks RoyVegas for scanning them in such a high resolution.  It sure looks good.

I will also be starting another thread with a direct download link.  Hopefully that one can be stickied in here since it is of utmost importance to the community!!

NightWolve

I tried 2 different browsers and the file downloaded was corrupt or incomplete. Can you upload to a simpler file sharing site like www.mediafire.com or whatever ?

oldskool

I use Chrome and it works just fine for me.  For a reader I use FOXIT.  Is anyone else having issues with downloading?  If so I can move it to a different server.  Night - if you continue to have problems with it I will move it to another server.

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/22/2014, 03:18 AMI tried 2 different browsers and the file downloaded was corrupt or incomplete. Can you upload to a simpler file sharing site like www.mediafire.com or whatever ?

ConHuevos

No issues downloading and viewing the PDF.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lcnbd8rog4fvea/TGX%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Uploaded to drop box.

NightWolve

Quote from: oldskool on 01/23/2014, 03:20 AMI use Chrome and it works just fine for me.  For a reader I use FOXIT.  Is anyone else having issues with downloading?  If so I can move it to a different server.  Night - if you continue to have problems with it I will move it to another server.
Yeah, I tried it with Chrome (my usual browser) and then with Opera, still no dice... ConHuevos's Dropbox link is currently working, see the full 52 Meg size and it's downloading. Thanks!

esteban

It is available here now, too:

...but the download may be slow?

I downloaded it from ConHuevos Dropbox...swift, no problems.

oldskool

Oh good.  It should be readily available to pretty much anyone now.

It's pretty interesting!  I will be going back to that garage - want to see if some of the servers in there are NEC related.  Also going to look for the test jig.  Also - there were a ton of belts and electronic repair parts sorted in a large bin.  I am sure some of the belts must be for the TG16CD.  They do take belts right?  Maybe I can find some lasers too.

Will keep everyone updated if I find anything else.  I did not see the computer with the CDROM on top as I don't think they had that unit here in the states.

Paddyfitz18

Holy crap.  I figured such a manual existed, somewhere, and so once in a while I would purposefully look around for exactly that sort of thing, to no avail.    So this is great, dude - thanks.

oldskool

thesteve

The schematic has saved 2 duo and a white pce so far
It needs a sticky 2

thesteve