RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

SOLD!!! PC Parts: Intel C2Q Q6700 + Asus Mobo + 6gb Ram

Started by BlueBMW, 02/24/2014, 10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

SOLD!

Not sure if anyone would be interested on here...  I'm building a new PC so I'll be needing to unload the old stuff.  Its going on five years old now I guess but it runs like a champ.

Asus P5Q-E mainboard https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QE/
Intel Core2Quad Q6700 2.66ghz
4gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800mhz RAM (2x2gb sticks)
2gb some other brand DDR2 RAM (2x1gb sticks)
OCZ Air Cooler + AS5

These core2quads were fantastic overclockers.  This one has run 3.3ghz no problem.  The mainboard actually has an IDE header on it if you still need to run legacy stuff.  I could run this system a while longer but the geek in me demands I build a new PC every 5 years or so.

No idea what to ask for it (I mean it is 4-5 years old after all...)

Here's some really bad dusty pictures:

/20140224_222854_zps2267605c.jpg

/20140224_222904_zpsc02a6b24.jpg
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Bernie

I wonder if the Professor would want these?  I know he builds PCs, but I believe they are older models.

Opethian

damn man that P5Q could be a backup board in my setup I got a P5Q-PRO
IMG

BlueBMW

Bay of E?  Screw all that...  This is buddy price stuff.   

4gb ram sticks might be gone but the 2gb is still there
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

BlueBMW

PCEngineHell

Quote from: guest on 02/25/2014, 12:57 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 02/25/2014, 06:49 AMI wonder if the Professor would want these?  I know he builds PCs, but I believe they are older models.
I think the good Prof focuses more on 486/Pentium stuff for classic PC gaming...

And if I'm wrong?  Too bad.  All this hardwares are belong to me!  :twisted:
Have at it, I don't dick around with modern Intel and I fucking hate that LGA 775 garbage lol. I only mess with AM2/AM3. :P I have two modern machines sitting here by me. The one I use Windows 7 on is a Phenom II X2 3.4ghz unlocked to 4 core, with a GTX 470 for the main card and a GTX 280 for a Physx card. Second system uses the same cpu but runs Windows Xp and has an Agiea Physx card and a GTX 260. My kids gaming rigs are all also AM2+ based.

Also, I don't mess with 486 cpus and boards. I dont care to screw around with modding the boards RTC chip to use a normal cr2032 or anything. Its too much of a pain to do. I have Pentium 1 Socket 5 stuff around, but when I hit socket 7 I only use AMD K6-II and III (I do have some Socket 7 Pentiums also, 200 and 233 mhz I believe.) Past that Pentium 2-4, and AMD Slot A to Socket A and 754 and 939. At this point I have more then enough parts wise. If I accept any donations or buy anything anymore it is usually soundcard, hard drive, or grafx card related.

BlueBMW

This intel rig served me quite well for several years :)   it replaced the Athlon x2 machine that I had bought back in 2005.   Intel stuff is usually pretty pricey though so I can understand people going the AMD path.

PCEngineHell

Yeah, that Q6700 specifically still fetches over 70 bucks on average in fact. Its because Intel users tend to be the types to spend a lot more to keep older builds going longer with the fastest cpus of certain specific out of date platforms. This situation happened with the Slot-1 FSB 100 boards also. The Slot-1 Pentium 3 FSB 100 1ghz cpus were selling for over 200 bucks well into 2003, and still stayed above 100 bucks after that because people were hellbent on keeping their slot 1 platforms semi-up to date speed wise. Don't even get me started on the Socket 478 users....

This happens now and then on the AMD side too. Stuff like the Socket 939 Opteron 180 for instance. Last year you could still score one for under $40 shipped. Forget doing that now though. Now it sells for over $65 shipped. Thankfully I have one. Opteron 185 you ask? Forget it unless you want to throw down over 100 bucks for one. The AM2 FX-62 cpu is now going back up in price too due to it being one of the best cpus for AM2 boards limited to Athlon X2 and FX cpus only.

The Socket A Athlon XP 3200+ went though this same kind of crap for a long time too. Up until about two-three years ago you still had to spend about $50 to get one unless you got lucky on a bid. They are still considered as must haves among cpu collectors. Only reason I have one myself is because I got one out of a system pull last year.

BlueBMW

I will say this about this new haswell 1155 chip.... Hot as fuck.  Idles 33C or so but levels out at just over 90c at full load.  Apparently this is common...  Wtf lol.  I think the old core2quad would maybe hit 70C full load when clocked to 3.4ghz or so (stock is 2.66).  Granted I cheaped out and am running a stock cooler (didnt even redo the thermal compound)  Guess Ill be ordering proper cooling sooner than I thought.

BlueBMW

Apparently the Noctua is the best air cooler for the haswell chips.....  But dat brown....uhhhhgg why must their fans be brown!   [-X

roflmao

My 1st gen 2.66 ghz i7 OC'ed to 3.5 hits 90c when I'm transcoding videos and it always freaks me out, but it's been running rock solid for almost 6 years now (knocks on wood).

Ususally, I'll take the side cover off my computer when I know it's going to be rendering for awhile.  It'll sometimes stay in those temps overnight.  And when I walk into the room the next morning, it's noticeably warmer than the rest of the house.  :o

BlueBMW

sirhcman

Quote from: BlueBMW on 02/27/2014, 10:37 PMYikes lol
blue i had the same problem on my stock i7 setup until i got an aftermarket heatsink (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO), idles in the high 20s low 30s and under full load it his mid to high 50s