@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Current Audio/Video & System Weapon of Choice

Started by Elder, 06/11/2014, 09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder

I'm sure you guys have been asked this before, but I thought it would be interesting to see what your current audio video setup is, and which Turbo/PC Engine system you use for your daily fix.  Are you someone with an awesome Sony PVM, or are you rocking an upscaler and using your system on a modern HDTV? 

Since I asked the question, I'll go ahead and answer first :)  Several years ago my wife and I moved into a 4 1/2 apartment because we're saving for a down-payment on a house.  When we moved here I sadly had to put my old CRT in storage as it was just too darn big.  When that happened I looked everywhere for a solution to play retro games on my HDTV in such a way as they wouldn't look like ass, and very quickly stumbled upon the XRGB line of products.  I picked up an XRGB-mini for an outstanding price from a super nice gentlemen from Japan, and have been loving it ever since.  I used it for all my retro systems, with glorious scan lines and all.  It still impresses me just how clear some of these older systems look. 

In order to play North American TurboChip games I use my original TurboGrafx-16 from way back when, along with composite cables from Retro Game Cave.  Sadly I haven't been able to locate my Turbo Booster Plus, as it, along with countless other games are still in storage.  The composite cables work surprisingly well, and I think it's safe to say that the composite signal through the XRGB-mini looks better from the Turbo than all the other retro systems I've tried.  I use RGB whenever I can, so for my Genesis + CD, SNES, Saturn, and even my original PS.  I've been afraid to get my original Turbo modded because I've had it for so long and it would crush me if the thing got destroyed in transit.  For PC Engine and all CD-based games I use the PC Engine Duo-RX.  I love that thing, still have the original box and all. 

So that's my current weapon of choice, what's yours?  Are you rocking a wicked RGB-modded system, do you still have a glorious CRT the size of a small house?

jelloslug

I have a Sony KD-34XBR960 set for my retro stuff.  I have not found a "modern" set that works properly with old systems so I decided to get the newest "good" tube set I could get.  Fortunately my friend gave me this set because it need a logic board repaired.  For less that half of what a cheap LCD set would cost I now have a great TV that will work with anything from a 2600 all the way up to modern stuff.  The storage is a mixture of Ikea and custom pieces that match the store bought units.  You can't walk into Ikea and buy a TV stand that will hold a 280lb TV anymore so I have to make a stand to hold it that matched the cabinets.

IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

I have a 27" Sony CRT (with s-video) I bought new in 1998(?) in my computer room for recording game footage and a 27" RCA(?) which supports component, that I bought new a year or two ago in my game room. I also have a couple 21" CRTs in my spare room.

I'll never play 240p consoles on an HD TV if I can help it. I'd rather just play emulation.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

synbiosfan

I have a 2003 27" Toshiba with component & s-video. I have an old 20" Zenith that only has composite but it still sounds amazing.

I need to keep an eye out for a better backup!

Ratix

i'll bite

IMG
https://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s155/ratix98/computers/IMG_20140611_204557_614_zpsyafxhpft.jpg

This is my current setup i don't have much connected right now mainly because i don't want to have everything dragged out, cords everywhere, and i don't use my home theater as much as i used to so to keep everything neat its all put away.
this TV is perfect for playing the old systems on. its not very blocky, not to fuzzy, and takes up the entire screen. great response time for all games except light gun games. everything that get connected to the tv gets it sound crystal clear on my AV center from sony. 24-bit processing. burned out the COAX digital audio port so im using regular stereo analog. i don't have anything fancy for RGB all the old systems are connected through composite or RF depending on the system.

The turbo looks great on this TV. its connected through the turbo booster for the tg16.

i have two CRT monitors still. one is a commodore video monitor model 1702. a very small and convenient monitor for when a shindig occurs and its needed for games. the other is a dynex TV digital ready which acts as my direct capture device since it has av outputs. its nothing special no bells and whistles here i just play the damn games when i can.
IMG

Elder

Awesome stuff guys.  Lots of CRT goodness :). I miss my CRTs, but I've literally got no room whatsoever in this place.  The wife has her design studio here so space is ultra right.

For those that didn't mention it, what system do you use for you games?  A PC Engine, vintage Turbo with CD, perhaps a Duo?

Opethian

PVM-14L5 w/ some bose computer speakers

feels good man
IMG

Elder

Quote from: Opethian on 06/11/2014, 10:21 PMPVM-14L5 w/ some bose computer speakers

feels good man
Damn straight lol.

jelloslug

Quote from: Elder on 06/11/2014, 10:19 PMAwesome stuff guys.  Lots of CRT goodness :). I miss my CRTs, but I've literally got no room whatsoever in this place.  The wife has her design studio here so space is ultra right.

For those that didn't mention it, what system do you use for you games?  A PC Engine, vintage Turbo with CD, perhaps a Duo?
My TG-16 and Turbo CD-Rom that I bought in 1989-1990 with money I made washing dishes at a restaurant.

ifkz

I'll bite too:
IMG

This 1984 vintage TV was found at a local Goodwill in my area and operates with old antenna screw terminals.  I have used a "75 to 300 Ohm UHF/VHF Matching Transformer" connector mated up with a RatShack RF box that accepts the Duo's composite video.  The picture is actually sharp, the color guns give the image a great patina.  My first color TV was a 19 inch RCA with the exact same silver paint that is on the sides and top of this set.  My first ever TV was a dial based model like this that gave out a black and white picture.  I simply could not pass it up, it has personality.

My TurboDuo project is coming along, just today I ordered a complete cap kit for the motherboard.  I have great hopes for the CD door and laser assembly too (PCEFX members are trying to help me out).  I would love to post a picture of this rescued Duo playing Ys I & II on my TV should things go well.
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

imparanoic

Video - KDL-40EX400, with xrgb2 plus
Sound - Nakamichi AV10 home cinema amplifier

TR0N

Older consoles just a CRT philips 27 inch tv for modern a LG hdtv.Much as i like to have a xrbg mini that upscaler is rather expensive.Though i do have one monitor for the older consoles to,that being a commodore 64 1702.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

pulstar

I'm running all of my old systems through a Phillips CM8833 Mk II monitor. Really nice pictures on these old monitors especially through RGB.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

geise

Sony 14" PVM built in 2004.

Sound is through some really nice Creative Lab PC speakers with a sub woofer

esteban

Quote from: ifkz on 06/11/2014, 10:33 PMI'll bite too:
IMG

This 1984 vintage TV was found at a local Goodwill in my area and operates with old antenna screw terminals.  I have used a "75 to 300 Ohm UHF/VHF Matching Transformer" connector mated up with a RatShack RF box that accepts the Duo's composite video.  The picture is actually sharp, the color guns give the image a great patina.  My first color TV was a 19 inch RCA with the exact same silver paint that is on the sides and top of this set.  My first ever TV was a dial based model like this that gave out a black and white picture.  I simply could not pass it up, it has personality.

My TurboDuo project is coming along, just today I ordered a complete cap kit for the motherboard.  I have great hopes for the CD door and laser assembly too (PCEFX members are trying to help me out).  I would love to post a picture of this rescued Duo playing Ys I & II on my TV should things go well.
I love that you are using that TV and the antenna terminals. I remember thinking that I had to "carefully" screw everything together to ensure "maximum contact" and get the best signal.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ratix

Quote from: esteban on 06/12/2014, 07:28 AMI love that you are using that TV and the antenna terminals. I remember thinking that I had to "carefully" screw everything together to ensure "maximum contact" and get the best signal.
I thought the same thing to. then i found a coaxial to rca and use those for my systems now. ditched those rf switches all together.
IMG

MrFlutterPie

I use a early 90's Sony Trinitron CRT with my S-Video modded PCE Duo.  I try to use S-Video for all of my systems where possible.  I am particularly well pleased with my super tricked out heavily modded Model 1 Sega Genesis (I think it has pretty much every mod on that thing)

Ironically I think only my AES is only hooked up with composite lol.

turbokon

Looks like I'm separate from the pack, I use a Sony 52" HDTV.  All my systems are component video modded except for the NES and master system. With the component video mod, no up-scaler needed.

IMG
IMG
IMG
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

NecroPhile

I've got the TurboDuo and Duo-RX hooked up to a mid-90s 32" Sony TV in the bedroom and the PC-FX, PSP Go, and LA hooked up to a 46" Sony LCD in the living room; I'd rather have the LA and PC-FX hooked up to the tube, but it's short on inputs and there's no place to park 'em anyway.  Both TVs are also connected to mid-90s Pioneer receivers, but those are rarely ever used (damn apartment living).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

synbiosfan

This thread inspired me to get another backup!

For $6.88 (tax included) I picked up a 20" JVC with 1 component, 1 s-video and 2 composite inputs from the Salvation Army. I went to one of their nicer area stores so most of the TVs were in nice cosmetic shape. They have a few nice sets that tempted me so if this one doesn't work out(as is), the next one may.

The only annoying part is it wasn't raining where I bought it and it's raining pretty steady where I live :lol:

schweaty

Sony KV-32HS420.  I like it because it has an HDMI and 2x Component inputs (if i ever finish my component mods).  The HDMI is for the NEO GEO X (which looks fine thru the HDMI.  the composite is shit).

Price = $30 + $7 in beer cost labor (it weighs 176 lbs according to wikipedia)

technozombie

I have  27" Philips crt with component inputs that I bought new to use with my PlayStation 2. Final fantasy X looked beautiful at the time. Now I'm using it for Rgb to component with my DuoR SNES and Genesis. I'm seriously considering an xrgb mini though.

Elder

Quote from: ifkz on 06/11/2014, 10:33 PMMy TurboDuo project is coming along, just today I ordered a complete cap kit for the motherboard.  I have great hopes for the CD door and laser assembly too (PCEFX members are trying to help me out).  I would love to post a picture of this rescued Duo playing Ys I & II on my TV should things go well.
Best of luck with that!  The folks here are insanely educated on all things Turbo so if anyone can help you, its these fine folks.

Elder

Quote from: synbiosfan on 06/12/2014, 03:05 PMThis thread inspired me to get another backup!

For $6.88 (tax included) I picked up a 20" JVC with 1 component, 1 s-video and 2 composite inputs from the Salvation Army. I went to one of their nicer area stores so most of the TVs were in nice cosmetic shape. They have a few nice sets that tempted me so if this one doesn't work out(as is), the next one may.

The only annoying part is it wasn't raining where I bought it and it's raining pretty steady where I live :lol:
Lol, awesome stuff!  You guys and your CRTs are making me long for my three babies in storage.  They better work when I finally have my house or I'm going to be super pissed off!

imparanoic

Quote from: turbokon on 06/12/2014, 08:53 AMLooks like I'm separate from the pack, I use a Sony 52" HDTV.  All my systems are component video modded except for the NES and master system. With the component video mod, no up-scaler needed.
IMG
IMG
IMG
snes, md and pc engines does not out component video natively, have you modified or used rgb then via a rgb to component video converter or composite to component video  ?

turbokon

Quote from: imparanoic on 06/12/2014, 09:51 PMsnes, md and pc engines does not out component video natively, have you modified or used rgb then via a rgb to component video converter or composite to component video  ?
I'm glad you asked:). I installed a rgb to component converter board.  Please see here for more info.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14876

www.tg16pcemods.com

Elder

Quote from: turbokon on 06/12/2014, 10:05 PMI'm glad you asked:). I installed a rgb to component converter board.  Please see here for more info.

That's pretty awesome.  I've always been scared to get my systems modded like that.  It's why I went the upscaler route.  That and I've got some nice CRTs in storage.

PunkCryborg

I live in RGB heaven. I switch between my 20" PVM, 11" PVM and 29" NEC XM RGB monitor depending on where I'm at in my house

Keith Courage

I switch back and forth from S-video on a sony CRT 36" Trinitron to S-video on a 27" Sanyo CRT of some sort.

I dislike new TVs because I hate seeing black on each side of the screen and stretching out the picture. So neither option will do.

roflmao

My home-office is where I do most of my old-school gaming.  There I have a late 90's JVC tube TV (which I bought new and am surprised I still have after all these years) and Philips boom-box for audio.  All of my consoles are composite, run through 2 daisy-chained 4-button a/v selectors: US Duo, NES, Genesis, Dreamcast. Also I have a DVD recorder hooked up so I can record my gameplay when I feel like it.

The living room home theater has a 47" LCD, Onkyo receiver, Bic F-12 sub, Polk speakers all around, and: Xbox 360 (w/ HD-DVD player), PS2, SNES, Gamecube (w/ GBA adapter) and Turbografx-16 w/ CD attachment.

Those are the systems I have most commonly set up, though every once in awhile I'll dig out some of my lesser-played consoles.

imparanoic

Quote from: turbokon on 06/12/2014, 10:05 PM
Quote from: imparanoic on 06/12/2014, 09:51 PMsnes, md and pc engines does not out component video natively, have you modified or used rgb then via a rgb to component video converter or composite to component video  ?
I'm glad you asked:). I installed a rgb to component converter board.  Please see here for more info.

do you sell outside of us? ie, uk, or even countries in asia ?

turbokon

Quote from: imparanoic on 06/13/2014, 05:31 AMdo you sell outside of us  ? ie, uk, or even countries in asia ?
Sure you bet :). PM me and we can discussed it further.

www.tg16pcemods.com

imparanoic

Quote from: turbokon on 06/13/2014, 08:13 AM
Quote from: imparanoic on 06/13/2014, 05:31 AMdo you sell outside of us  ? ie, uk, or even countries in asia ?
Sure you bet :). PM me and we can discussed it further.
thanks

I am on the presume that you need a hdtv that can handle 240p natively to allow this modification to work, increasingly, not many hdtv allow this, I test my sony 2010 kdl-40ex400 with ps1 game in ps2 via component as this allows to test 240p, so I may considering and instigating this modification

rtyper

Quote from: imparanoic on 06/12/2014, 09:51 PM
Quote from: turbokon on 06/12/2014, 08:53 AMLooks like I'm separate from the pack, I use a Sony 52" HDTV.  All my systems are component video modded except for the NES and master system. With the component video mod, no up-scaler needed.
IMG
IMG
IMG
snes, md and pc engines does not out component video natively, have you modified or used rgb then via a rgb to component video converter or composite to component video?

being in the uk i have scart rgb on all consoles and when used on any hd display look pretty naff
looking at your piccies reminds me of this, without some kind of external upscaler/scanline device
you might as well stick to composite. the 'lego pixels' may be nice and clear but unless you sit about
20ft away from the display any advantages 'modding' consoles for rgb (scart/componant) is a waste
of time, unless you prefer legovision

wildfruit

I use a 21 inch schneider crt tv that i picked up at a supermarket cheap 10 years ago or so. Has 2 scart sockets one does rgb one does s-video though i have never tried the s video. I have my turbo, dreamcast, mega drive and wii hooked through RGB, master system through mighty RF and the nes, when it wants to work, through composite.
There is a 28 inch trinitron in the next town on ebay for £1 that i am quite tempted by though!

reson8er

Quote from: guest on 06/11/2014, 09:29 PMI have a Sony KD-34XBR960 set for my retro stuff.  I have not found a "modern" set that works properly with old systems so I decided to get the newest "good" tube set I could get.  Fortunately my friend gave me this set because it need a logic board repaired.  For less that half of what a cheap LCD set would cost I now have a great TV that will work with anything from a 2600 all the way up to modern stuff.  The storage is a mixture of Ikea and custom pieces that match the store bought units.  You can't walk into Ikea and buy a TV stand that will hold a 280lb TV anymore so I have to make a stand to hold it that matched the cabinets.

IMG
I used to own that exact same model set, it was fantastic, but ultimately the space needed (as you know its quite stout) the tiny screen size (as a primary set) made me part ways. I also had horizontal geometry issues that to solve, would require realignment of the magnets on the tube.  Fantastic set though.

jelloslug

Quote from: reson8er on 06/19/2014, 02:21 PM
Quote from: jelloslug on 06/11/2014, 09:29 PMI have a Sony KD-34XBR960 set for my retro stuff.  I have not found a "modern" set that works properly with old systems so I decided to get the newest "good" tube set I could get.  Fortunately my friend gave me this set because it need a logic board repaired.  For less that half of what a cheap LCD set would cost I now have a great TV that will work with anything from a 2600 all the way up to modern stuff.  The storage is a mixture of Ikea and custom pieces that match the store bought units.  You can't walk into Ikea and buy a TV stand that will hold a 280lb TV anymore so I have to make a stand to hold it that matched the cabinets.

IMG
I used to own that exact same model set, it was fantastic, but ultimately the space needed (as you know its quite stout) the tiny screen size (as a primary set) made me part ways. I also had horizontal geometry issues that to solve, would require realignment of the magnets on the tube.  Fantastic set though.
I got mine for free from a friend when the "D" board failed (a common problem).  $100 later and it's good as new.

turbokon

Quote from: rtyper on 06/19/2014, 06:18 AM
IMG
IMG
IMG
snes, md and pc engines does not out component video natively, have you modified or used rgb then via a rgb to component video converter or composite to component video?

being in the uk i have scart rgb on all consoles and when used on any hd display look pretty naff
looking at your piccies reminds me of this, without some kind of external upscaler/scanline device
you might as well stick to composite. the 'lego pixels' may be nice and clear but unless you sit about
20ft away from the display any advantages 'modding' consoles for rgb (scart/componant) is a waste
Haha, no way I'm going back to composite, it's like night and day between composite and component.  I'm about 10 feet away and looks pretty damn good where I'm at.

www.tg16pcemods.com

Elder

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what NEC did, but the composite signal is pretty damn impressive on the TG-16 compared to all the other retro consoles that I have.  I used RGB SCART on all my retro systems that support it natively, and while not quite as clear, the composite signal on the TG-16 is damn sharp and crisp.  When I put that through my XRGB-mini, I'm always impressed with the results.

imparanoic

Quote from: rtyper on 06/19/2014, 06:18 AM
IMG
IMG
IMG

composite ( even though it's relatively not too bad compared to others) is still low quality and looks better on crt than lcd/led/plasma, it's like listening to crackling qualities of cassette, and comparing cd's on high end equipment or high bit rate audio, I have a xrgb2 plus, it's very decent and I don't use it often, but it's rare, at least with method, you getting decent visuals with minimal fuss with processors/etc or dark colours of unamped rgb , etc.

imparanoic

Quote from: guest on 06/11/2014, 09:29 PMI have a Sony KD-34XBR960 set for my retro stuff.  I have not found a "modern" set that works properly with old systems so I decided to get the newest "good" tube set I could get.  Fortunately my friend gave me this set because it need a logic board repaired.  For less that half of what a cheap LCD set would cost I now have a great TV that will work with anything from a 2600 all the way up to modern stuff.  The storage is a mixture of Ikea and custom pieces that match the store bought units.  You can't walk into Ikea and buy a TV stand that will hold a 280lb TV anymore so I have to make a stand to hold it that matched the cabinets.
IMG
IMG
funny enough, similar situation. ikea cabinet heavily modified for my and my family usage and accommodate consoles, centre speaker and av amplifier

I have an older nakamichi av amplifier and a 3 sectioned ikea amp, modified for my usage, the amplifier depth is way too big and  sticks out, thus, I can't use the sliding glass doors, thus, I cut out a large section of the backing board so the amp rear sticks out

sliding glass doors are lockable  ( as some of my consoles are there, core grafx, ps3, wii, slim ps2, use wireless , ie, hori, dual shock 3, classic controller, expect pc engine - infra pad is too expensive and seems not very effective, ie, line of sight) to prevent my son and in the future my daughter messing with them.

the rear backing board has some 4" circle holes added for cabling and more important, the power extension cables can be placed inside on the cabinet to prevent them from playing with them

Gentlegamer

I use a stock TG-16 with TurboBooster hooked up to a Walmart brand Orion 27" CRT, and TurboCable extension cord.

Nothing fancy.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

HailingTheThings

RGB modded Pc Duo-R, component converter and 20(?)" Panasonic Tau CRT for me. :3
IMG

MrFulci

I have a Duo-R, modified by someone here, with S-Video out. I use that most often. I also have a TG-16 I keep in a travel case, though the last time I took it anyplace was... 2005? 2006? It's been a while. I have a Duo, US model, I bought new, but I don't use that, since I got the Duo-R modified.

I used to use CRTs. However, the past decade or so, nothing like that.

Years ago, I thought I'd need to get an X-RGB, but I never had any video issues, so, I never needed one.

I run the Duo-R through an S-Video switchbox, along with a Genesis and a few other systems. All that feeds into an A/V receiver, which handles the S-Video to HDMI just fine, and outputs nice all channel stereo, fi I want it. I was actually messing around with Splatterhouse 2 and 3 on the Genesis 2 weeks ago, still works fine.

I size my screen to 4:3 for these games and play with grey or black bars on the side. I don't like playing games distorted and stretched out.

In the future, if/when I need to upgrade my receiver, it will be difficult to find another with S-Video, though they are still out there, just less. During that time, I may need to go with some older models with the S-Video inputs, or get an s-video-to-HDMI adapter, and feed it into the receiver as and HDMI input.

But, for now, it all works just fine. The Atari 2600 I hook into a coaxial A/B switch, and the TV outputs the sound to the receiver. Yep, Atari 2600, in FULL MONO!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

toktogul

I use this setup for now, it's a crtv that was given to me by the principal at my school. It's an old japanese company that doesn't exist anymore, so i don't have much information about it. I'm sure I can get better, but I like my setup since it's next to my 2 computer screens.

I use a pc engine r, the tv is mono, so it's terrible, but in 2 months, i'll be back in canada with a far much better tv. I'll update on it as i move back there. For now it's very simplistic, but it works.

IMG

Elder

Quote from: MrFulci on 06/20/2014, 04:39 AMYep, Atari 2600, in FULL MONO!
THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!! 

Couldn't resist lol.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: toktogul on 06/20/2014, 08:19 AMI use this setup for now, it's a crtv that was given to me by the principal at my school. It's an old japanese company that doesn't exist anymore, so i don't have much information about it.
AIWA, the company that made those cool sega cd players, always thought they looked awesome, but way too hard to find for a good price AFAIK.

IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 06/20/2014, 05:06 PMThere's an AIWA branded LA pac too.
Did not know this, that's rad, sir.
IMG

roflmao

AIWA used to be a pretty common name among cheap stereo/boomboxes.  I had one in high school and a couple of my friends did too.  I never knew they did TVs though.  Cool.