@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Your TG16/Duo hardware: any interesting stories about finding it?

Started by ifkz, 06/13/2014, 09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ifkz

In addition to finding and playing the games, I have an odd interest in hearing how other members came across their hardware.  Really, if it is anything more than 'I bought it at auction,' I would love to read about it.

For example, right before I was approved as a member of these forums I had worked out a barter trade for some TG items.  I agreed to do some arcade monitor work and in exchange I would receive a TG16 base system that had a TurboBooster add-on.  After the work was done and I got it home and I learned there were actually two versions of the TurboBooster:  regular and plus.  I had no idea about either and I saw that I had the regular version. 

My other TG16 base system was found in a storage locker by friend online and I gradually added the missing pieces to make it complete.

Aside from my unfinished Duo project, that's it for me.  Anyone else care to share????
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

Alt-Nintega

Bernie

You asked about what happened to my Turbo Duo to make it end up a donor piece..  I was going to link you to the thread, but I cant find it.  Plus, I don't have the pics anymore either....or I CANT FIND THEM EITHER....   ](*,) ](*,) 

But long story short....a hair dryer was it's demise....  Maybe someone here has the pics still.

seieienbu

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ifkz

I wonder how the CD door looks after the hairdryer treatment.  :D

Now I understand the joke that has been going around the forums when members say 'points the hairdryer at....'

(insert the more you know .gif here)

Quote from: Bernie on 06/13/2014, 02:24 PMYou asked about what happened to my Turbo Duo to make it end up a donor piece..  I was going to link you to the thread, but I cant find it.  Plus, I don't have the pics anymore either....or I CANT FIND THEM EITHER....   ](*,) ](*,) 

But long story short....a hair dryer was it's demise....  Maybe someone here has the pics still.
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

Ratix

back in 2005 2006 my friend's father was selling the original tg16 will all his games and two turbo expresses complete with a link cable for like 400 bucks. this was just after i had gotten a job and had money coming my way. i tried it out testing the turbo expresses one didn't work right and the other was in good condition. came with ys book 1 & 2. i had only played the turbo through magic engine and knew that the system existed before hand but nobody ever had the system. it was worth it to me. i had made the mistake of sacking the turbo expesses though. i got ripped off for those when i "traded" them in.

when i 1st picked up the system it came with 41 hucards and 1 cd game.

Later on i had picked up a duo for sale and i paid way to much for it but i knew i was never going to get the CD addon for the original turbo then began my rewiring controllers did a shit job because i was new at it and the duo now sits in the basement collecting dust because the duo controller is now a tg-16 controller. i sounded out all the pins necessary to hook up the tg-16 controllers to the duo with no problems but my skills were not the best. At that time i had joined these forums back in 2007 looking for advice and help. i believe i have the PM's from chop5 platinumfungi in regards to procuring the info i needed. received a broken avenue 6 pad for the duo from Ceti Alpha that ended up being a very simple fix and had a controller again for it. hacked it up again because i ended up coming across the turbo tap and i thought to myself "why not" just imagine 5 player bomberman on the duo. the system is believed to be dead now till i grab either a duo or pce controller (which should be in my grasp).

to be honest the duo was solid. i only had two official super CD games i had already mentioned the 1st one and the second one was Loom. I played the hell out of both of them when i got the duo. learned the black art of burning the cd's heard rumors here and there that they will break the system, still have all those burnt cds all of them worked no problem never came across the us releases of some of the games released for the tg16cd. 

I want to get my stuff in order and start getting those games. i might break down and grab a pcengine with the cd-addon since its way smaller and easier to find and i can use my bankcard without using the converter i have.

TLDR version

i picked up these system some time ago and wrecked them because i was silly
IMG

warpig227

Actually its an interesting story for me. its pretty recent too. see my friend and i help out at a video game stor... well a video game garage sale type thing, and we mostly worked for credit. I've been wanting a turbografx for a real long time and id always play my friends so it wasn't like #1 priority. but a tg-cd came in with the tg16 and the case and all that, and my friend wanted the cd, and i wanted the tg16 so i took it for about 2 days of hanging out talking to ppl about video games. 2-3 months later, (last month) as I'm about to tell the owner that I'm going to be starting a new job that interferes with working there, a duo comes in with an express. so my friend got the express and well i got the duo. and i just finished paying it off due to the fact i was working 3 hours a week for him lol.

GohanX

I always wanted a Duo, but never found any around here. Around 2000, 2001 or so, I was a part of the now defunct GameGo forums and mentioned how I had always wanted a TurboDuo. ECM, formerly of Gamefan magazine, mentioned that TZD.com still had new duos for $200, and i had just received a bonus check. I ended up ordering the Duo, Gate and Lords of thunder.

I still have the Gate 4 in 1 disc but I sold the Duo years ago.