RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Ok, who is up for a re-cap job?

Started by graffias79, 09/13/2014, 05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graffias79

My Duo needs a re-cap and the time is now!  I was just playing a CD on it and realized that for some reason none of the CDs I played went past track 8 without becoming distorted.  This is strange since the last time I played an audio CD on it, it went to the edge with no trouble. (it finished an 80 minute audio CD) I'll take this as a sign to get the repair ball rolling.  The AV connector may need to be re-soldered as it is very touchy also.

Is anyone interested in doing this work and how much will it cost (ballpark)?

Please let me know if I need to buy the components and what I should send in the package.  I have never had a system re-capped before and I have to admit that I'm pretty nervous about sending my Duo away!

I live in Madison, Wisconsin so if anyone nearby is up for this that would be excellent but I am willing to ship anywhere in the country to get the job done.

Thanks,
Jamie

BlueBMW

Off topic a bit but if youre in Madison you should consider attending the Midwest Gaming Classic in Milwaukee in April.  Its alwaysa ton of fun.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

crans

Im in Cali cost $88 shipped back 100% radial recap. Im backed up about a week atm

Turbokon is closer to you.

Im sure others will chime in

turbokon

I'm pretty backed up at the moment, at least 6 weeks.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

BlueBMW

I'm on hold for repairs right now until I get settled and set back up to do them again.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

graffias79

Quote from: turbokon on 09/14/2014, 06:21 PMI'm pretty backed up at the moment, at least 6 weeks.
***EDIT:  Since you're backed up, I may have found someone relatively close who can do it sooner so I will explore that route in the mean time.***

Hey I think I spoke to you on Facebook (Jamie Orlando).  I think perhaps I would like you to do the work since you said you can also check/tweak the laser.  Just let me know when a good time to send my system would be.  You can PM the details to me as to what to include, like if I need to supply the caps or whatever.  I have no problem waiting for your schedule to clear.  I don't have any strange audio issues other than an occasional digital distortion sound past a certain point in some CDs.  The TG-16 PSG sound is fine and matches that of my TG-16 itself.

Thanks,
Jamie

graffias79

I just want to quick thank everyone for the replies.  I am just nervous about sending the Duo out!  I know you're all passionate about these awesome NEC systems.

Thanks,
Jamie