Criticisms of Bonk 3

Started by dallaspattern, 09/19/2014, 11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallaspattern

How did they blow it so badly? The following is a list of things that irk me when I stack it up against the first two.

Jesus, where to begin...

Level 1
Bonk spins too slowly.
Unfulfilling floret sprung jumps.
The music made to indicate you're eating meat.
Unfulfilling bonks of enemies. The sound effect is childish, not crushing like BA.
Being spoonfed like a baby as I'm able to break four boulders at a time.
The pipe bonus stage is dumb.
The sound Bonk makes when he's injured sucks.
Big mode = good idea, bad execution.
The choppy way the elevator opens and closes.
The music in general blows, it's like I'm at a goddamn carnival.
The first boss isn't bad, but in my brain there is a reason I don't like it.
BUT
I like how the crabs pinchers are useful.
The spiderweb is a good trap.
Building smash bonus stage is pretty tight (my reptialian SF2 brain <3's this)

Oh shit, my girlfriend just got home and wants to watch Aliens. Guess that's enough of this for now.

neutopia6

Ahahaha. XD
I enjoy my Bonk 3, got the first two years ago and loved them, finally snagged a three, doesn't hold as much nostalgia for me but it was more of the same.
I prefer two the most, and I agree, big Bonk wasn't executed as well as he could have been but it was still a good game, to me anyways.

cr8zykuban0

bonk 3 seems like a great game but man, its expensive! it'll be a while before I can get a copy

BigusSchmuck

Stick to the PC Engine version, much cheaper. Why people pay $$$ for the U.S version is beyond me. Unless you are a collectard...

dallaspattern

Quote from: neutopia6 on 09/20/2014, 12:01 AMAhahaha. XD
I enjoy my Bonk 3, got the first two years ago and loved them, finally snagged a three, doesn't hold as much nostalgia for me but it was more of the same.
I prefer two the most, and I agree, big Bonk wasn't executed as well as he could have been but it was still a good game, to me anyways.
Yeah, to be fair it has zero nostalgia for me too. I was 18 years too late on that one, but pre-internet that game was impossible to find! Ah, the good old days eh?

neutopia6

Actually some guy two hours away was selling off his collection randomly so I snatched it CIB with a Complete in box Valis II, Valis III, Bonk III, Y's Book I and II and Legendary Axe II, that was a great day aha. :p
I've only been collecting for four years, only nostalgia I had was NES, SNES and Genesis until I started collecting.

NightWolve

Bonk III: Bonk's Big Boring Adventure.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: dallaspattern on 09/19/2014, 11:41 PMJesus, where to begin...
He wouldn't know, probably not the best idea to ask him first or else you'll penniless by the end of the night.

Quote from: dallaspattern on 09/19/2014, 11:41 PMOh shit, my girlfriend just got home and wants to watch Aliens. Guess that's enough of this for now.
Approval.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: dallaspattern on 09/19/2014, 11:41 PMHow did they blow it so badly? The following is a list of things that irk me when I stack it up against the first two.

Jesus, where to begin...

Level 1
Bonk spins too slowly.
Unfulfilling floret sprung jumps.
The music made to indicate you're eating meat.
Unfulfilling bonks of enemies. The sound effect is childish, not crushing like BA.
Being spoonfed like a baby as I'm able to break four boulders at a time.
The pipe bonus stage is dumb.
The sound Bonk makes when he's injured sucks.
Big mode = good idea, bad execution.
The choppy way the elevator opens and closes.
The music in general blows, it's like I'm at a goddamn carnival.
The first boss isn't bad, but in my brain there is a reason I don't like it.
BUT
I like how the crabs pinchers are useful.
The spiderweb is a good trap.
Building smash bonus stage is pretty tight (my reptialian SF2 brain <3's this)

Oh shit, my girlfriend just got home and wants to watch Aliens. Guess that's enough of this for now.
Hahahahahahahahaha. I concur.

I used to totally dismiss Bonk 3...now I have softened, but not because the game is better, but because I have played all the games and THERE WILL NEVER BE ANY MORE.

So, out of desperation for "more bonk" or "more PC Genjin" I have been trying to appreciate Bonk 3.

PERSONALLY, I can't believe the music sucks so bad. At the very least, Bonk 3 should have had decent music. I play some mediocre games JUST FOR L'TUNES.

My daughter and I have had fun playing Bonk 3...no other Bonk offers co-op...but average (if I'm generous) co-op is not enough to salvage this game.

Oh well.

UPDATE: I know lots of folks think Bonk 2 is superior to Bonk 1. I felt the same way when it was released. HOWEVER, if you go back to Bonk 1, well, IT IS STILL A SOLID GAME. It is a satisfying experience. Basic, but satisfying. Bonk 3 lacks this.

FINAL: I don't hate Bonk 3. It's just so goddamn ANTI-CLIMATIC.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

dallaspattern

Dude, Bonk 1 is super solid. It set a great tone for the series. There are things I like about it more than B2. In fact, I don't know if I prefer one over the other. It's like choosing your favourite kid and all that!

BONK 3: Unsatisfying, like a bad poop.

madboom0522

Try playing super bonk for Snes.... It is a very different animal.... Bonk cd is pretty well poop as well....
Titles to complete... Caught them all....

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: dallaspattern on 09/21/2014, 11:45 PMDude, Bonk 1 is super solid. It set a great tone for the series. There are things I like about it more than B2. In fact, I don't know if I prefer one over the other. It's like choosing your favourite kid and all that!

BONK 3: Unsatisfying, like a bad poop.
neber played bonk 3 so I cant say but ill get to test it out on the everdrive im getting soon so we will see.

Mzo

The original Bonk is still the best.  2 had better presentation but not better gameplay and definitely not better bosses.  3 is actually a bad game =[
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: Mzo on 09/22/2014, 01:00 AMThe original Bonk is still the best.  2 had better presentation but not better gameplay and definitely not better bosses.  3 is actually a bad game =[
well it sucks to hear that since bonk 3 goes for so much. I wonder the differences between bonk 3 hucard and bonk 3 cd besides the audio differences? any differences in gameplay? stages? enemies?

imparanoic

bonk 2/ pc genjin 2 is obviously the best, bonk 3/ pc genjin 3 seems to be more of a technical demo.

bonk 1 was ok, they improved it in the Japanese remake  pc genjin for ps2 or gamecube

ParanoiaDragon

I think the first Super Bonk is the worst of the series.  Super Bonk 2 did improve things, though I hate that it has checkpoints unlike the rest of the series.  The first 2 GB Bonk's are ok, obviously they could use help, but, Super Bonk 1 just...should've been way better then it was.  If there's any Bonk that's boring, it's Super Bonk.  I'd love to remake it on the Turbo(wink, wink, nudge, nudge) someday, & right all the wrongs.  Not just the music & gameplay, but also the color palette & a lot of the tiles are just...boring!
IMG

madboom0522

The bonk 3 cd game has a battle mode game on it I think. I have not played long enough to try it though. The game is really blah....

NecroPhile

Why are whining about the smallest, minor details and completely ignoring most everything that's good?

"pipe bonus stage is dumb"  <--- Bitch, please.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jlued686

I agree that it's the weakest of the three, and I used to completely disregard it. However, a couple years ago, I sat down and gave it a chance, playing from start to finish. The game certainly gets better the further you play.

One negative: I don't have the HuCard version, and I hate the music on the CD version. The chip-tunes in the first two games rank among my favorite video game soundtracks ever. So playing the CD version was a disappointment in that regard. But, now that I have it on my Everdrive, I'm going to have to give the game a go with the chip-tune soundtrack.

I'll also agree with the sentiment that Bonk's Adventure is the best in the series. It's maybe not "technically" as good as Revenge, but the simplicity of Adventure, the great bosses and characters - added to the fact that it was the first game I ever became obsessed with - makes it a notch higher in my book.

Also, I love Super Bonk 2 for SNES. It's like Bonk's Revenge crossed with Super Mario World. It's a really unique entry in the series. Not quite as crazy as the arcade game, but different enough to make an impression.

esteban

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 09/22/2014, 01:45 AM
Quote from: Mzo on 09/22/2014, 01:00 AMThe original Bonk is still the best.  2 had better presentation but not better gameplay and definitely not better bosses.  3 is actually a bad game =[
well it sucks to hear that since bonk 3 goes for so much. I wonder the differences between bonk 3 hucard and bonk 3 cd besides the audio differences? any differences in gameplay? stages? enemies?
I am sure that there is a post/thread documenting the differences, but here is the Executive Summary:

(1) frames of animation in sprites are missing on CD version (limited RAM of system card, fitting all graphic assets on CD can be tricky).

(2) FMV footage of Gilligan's Island on CD version.

Note: only one statement in list is true.

dallaspattern

The music in the first Bonk is so iconic!

Never played sb2, must find it!

Because the bad outweighs the good, and that pipe shit is a waste of a bonus level!

Somebody made a good point, maybe they just squirted out an unrefined test cart? After all, it was already over by then and they couldn't have been putting much more money into development. Maybe we were lucky it came out at all.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: dallaspattern on 09/22/2014, 08:45 PMNever played sb2, must find it!
It's Jp only, so you'll most likely find it under Super Genjin 2, or perhaps Cho Gengin 2. 

As for Bonk 3 CD.  I actually love the music, HOWEVER, it doesn't sound like Bonk music(it doesn't fit the game).  I've often threatened to remake the cd soundtrack, so that it sounds like the first 2 games, although, enhanced due to it being rebook ofcoarse.
IMG

HailingTheThings

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 09/23/2014, 01:43 AMI've often threatened to remake the cd soundtrack, so that it sounds like the first 2 games, although, enhanced due to it being rebook ofcoarse.
That'd be wow.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Bonk 3 borrows the core gameplay mechanics from Bonk's Adventure and Bonk's Revenge. It even adds a big and small bonk.

The overall game is solid as it's directly based on two of the best traditional platformers on the TurboGrafx. The reason this game gets so much criticism is for a few reasons.

First off is level design, the level design lacks the variety and fun areas of earlier games. It feels like they phoned the level design in.

Second off is the two player mode. This is a gimmick they simply hacked on, the levels and overall game aren't designed around providing an engaging two player experience.

Thirdly is the failure to properly optimize the design of the game to take advantage of the big and small bonk transformations. This is the biggest new feature of the game, and once again the level design is lacking.

I don't think Bonk 3 is a bad game at all. It plays well and is interesting enough. It just feels like it was lazily designed.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

Quote from: dallaspattern on 09/22/2014, 08:45 PM.... and that pipe shit is a waste of a bonus level!
I don't get it.  What exactly is so bad about that bonus level?

neutopia6

I didn't mind the pipe level, I preferred the bouncing up flowers one, and enjoyed smashing blocks as a means of getting shit loads of one ups.

dallaspattern

my hate-on for the pipe bonus exists mostly because the animation is bad and the gameplay slows down quite a bit, killing the pacing of the level.

remake of the bonk soundtrack - do you have garageband? I'm in, let's do it!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: dallaspattern on 09/23/2014, 10:06 PMmy hate-on for the pipe bonus exists mostly because the animation is bad and the gameplay slows down quite a bit, killing the pacing of the level.

remake of the bonk soundtrack - do you have garageband? I'm in, let's do it!
Nah, just my keyboard & MMT-8 sequencer I've been using for homebrew game projects for the past, probably, 10 years now?  Maybe less, depends on what year it was we started on Mysterious Song, as I didn't have the equipment for most of that project, just enhanced it in Sound Forge aside from adding lil bit's n' pieces to it when I finally did get the equipment. 

I've actually already made about 10 Bonk songs for a different project, so I know I'm capable, & I think those in the know about my project agree that it's got that Bonk sound.  However, I haven't worked on it in a couple years due to Jungle Bros. being a priority for awhile, plus, (dare I reveal?), I've been remaking Mega Man 1's ost for Bonknuts CD emulation of Mega Man 1.  Doing my own renditions of Mega Man 1 tunes has been a dream of mine for literally a million years! :D So, I have a few Robot Master tunes to finish up, as well as the first Dr Wily level.  Then, I should get back to Jungle Bros. & finish that up, (4 songs left IIRC).  After that, I could maybe go back to my Bonk project, but, like any hobby, real life gets in the way, so, we'll see how long it takes to get back to that, & that's not taking Dragon Arm into consideration, which I've only done planning so far for.

I probably could do a basic redo of Bonk 3, with no extra flair, but, knowing me, I'll end up doing extra stuff for it, as I have for Mega Man & Dragon Warrior(another Bonknuts project).....which I also would like to finish someday!
IMG

Dicer

Bonk=/=Bonk2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bonk3

Bonk is the best, but 2 looks better/play worse 3 is just ugh...

Zonk's followup was abysmal as well, it's like Hudson stopped caring when they reached these 2 games.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Dicer on 09/24/2014, 01:54 PMBonk=/=Bonk2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bonk3

Bonk is the best, but 2 looks better/play worse 3 is just ugh...

Zonk's followup was abysmal as well, it's like Hudson stopped caring when they reached these 2 games.
I don't think Super Air Zonk is abysmal. I think it's simply lazy, kind of like Bonk 3.

I'd even go so far as to say Super Air Zonk is a "good" game. Now when you compare it to Air Zonk, it loses the frantic paced action, ability to pick powerups on a stage by stage basis among other things and is a far inferior game. But compared to most PC Engine shooters, it's still well above average.
--DragonmasterDan

madboom0522

Maybe that's why it is so damn expensive! It must be a better shooter than I thought. Will have to try it out on a copy to see if it is as fun as the first one..

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: madboom0522 on 09/24/2014, 08:38 PMMaybe that's why it is so damn expensive! It must be a better shooter than I thought. Will have to try it out on a copy to see if it is as fun as the first one..
If you have a Wii it's 800 Wii points last I knew.
--DragonmasterDan

slinkyturd

I thought all the bonus stages were utterly useless. Is there any point to them? it just seems like you use smileys and get nothing for winning these games. :/
70/95 US Turbochips

NecroPhile

You get points which earns extra lives, and if it's one with fruit you'll refill your hearts.

JoshTurboTrollX

This conversation again!  YES!!

Bonk 3CD is actually my FIRST experience with a Bonk game playing from beginning to end.  I absolutely LOVE the redbook audio of the SuperCD version.  I find the level design to be pretty much on average with the two HuCard releases, it just came years later with really nothing new to add....  Now that I've had a chance to sit down with each of the games in the series in 2014 I will say that Bonk 3 still probably falls into 3rd place behind the first two in terms of overall fun, but it's not a bad game at all. 

Side Note: I only recently picked up Bonk 3 on HuCard and would have to agree that the music is a far cry from the rest of the series...  Poor sloppy chiptunes here.  :(

Erase the Hate, play Bonk 3.  It's fun.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

dallaspattern

Not hate, just twenty years of disappointment!

Speaking of which, I'm sure y'alls have heard of this? Too bad Brink of Extinction never made it out! Would've been cool.
http://www.psnstores.com/2014/05/footage-of-cancelled-bonk-brink-of-extinction-ps3-game-surfaces/

And of course, the tragic tale of the Bonk 4 RPG...

I wish I had software design skills to give Bonk 3 the treatment it deserved! It's like Alien 3. You just wanted it to be so much more!

JoshTurboTrollX

it's in the same boat with Ys III with me.  I enjoy the games for sure.. now.  But at the time of release it would have been a little disappointing just coming off of the great prequels.

And, don't get me started on Super Air Zonk.  That game is a PURE turd.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

slinkyturd

I'd say I like bonk 3 better than bonk's adventure. the problem is that the price for the gameplay should be about 30 bucks and not in the hundreds. I think a lot of the disappointment I encountered was paying that much for a game worth 30 dollars to me.
70/95 US Turbochips

jordan_hillman

Quote from: slinkyturd on 09/25/2014, 05:21 PMI'd say I like bonk 3 better than bonk's adventure. the problem is that the price for the gameplay should be about 30 bucks and not in the hundreds. I think a lot of the disappointment I encountered was paying that much for a game worth 30 dollars to me.
I've only briefly played Bonk 3 on an everdrive. It seemed cool, but sadly it didn't seem as special as the previous two.

Buy yeah... hundreds just to say you've played a US Bonk 3 on a US TG16?? I'm definitely good on that
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

dallaspattern

Quote from: slinkyturd on 09/25/2014, 05:21 PMI'd say I like bonk 3 better than bonk's adventure. the problem is that the price for the gameplay should be about 30 bucks and not in the hundreds. I think a lot of the disappointment I encountered was paying that much for a game worth 30 dollars to me.
Whaaaaa?! You crazy mang!

NecroPhile

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/25/2014, 03:56 PMAnd, don't get me started on Super Air Zonk.  That game is a PURE turd.
Bah, you don't know what you're talking about.  They can't all be Sidearms, dammit!

jordan_hillman

Quote from: guest on 09/25/2014, 07:05 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/25/2014, 03:56 PMAnd, don't get me started on Super Air Zonk.  That game is a PURE turd.
Bah, you don't know what you're talking about.  They can't all be Sidearms, dammit!
I actually really dig the challenge of trying to beat Sidearms. Not my favorite by any stretch, but still damn fun.
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

Bake

I like the ending of bonk III. Hudson knew it was over. And it was sort of sad with the music and Hudson's message to the "Bonk kids." That was the best part for me, which isn't saying much. Although the music in the 7th stage/Drool battle is very good.

Overall, though, as much as Bonk holds sentimental value to me (see avatar) especially the fist two games, there is simply no challenge in each Bonk game. They are too easy, which I think is the biggest problem with the series.

esteban

Quote from: Bake on 09/25/2014, 08:11 PMI like the ending of bonk III. Hudson knew it was over. And it was sort of sad with the music and Hudson's message to the "Bonk kids." That was the best part for me, which isn't saying much. Although the music in the 7th stage/Drool battle is very good.

Overall, though, as much as Bonk holds sentimental value to me (see avatar) especially the fist two games, there is simply no challenge in each Bonk game. They are too easy, which I think is the biggest problem with the series.
I agree, I wish there was difficulty setting for Bonk...way too easy.

dallaspattern

Bonk's Revenge: Beginner, Intermediate or Expert? hahaha

Bake-I've yet to finish B3, but that's enough incentive.

esteban

Quote from: dallaspattern on 09/26/2014, 08:18 PMBonk's Revenge: Beginner, Intermediate or Expert? hahaha

They should have had "Super Duper Mega NEO Hard" to provide a decent challenge.

dallaspattern

Quote from: esteban on 09/27/2014, 05:21 AM
Quote from: dallaspattern on 09/26/2014, 08:18 PMBonk's Revenge: Beginner, Intermediate or Expert? hahaha

They should have had "Super Duper Mega NEO Hard" to provide a decent challenge.
Hahaha

NightWolve

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/25/2014, 02:01 PMSide Note: I only recently picked up Bonk 3 on HuCard and would have to agree that the music is a far cry from the rest of the series...  Poor sloppy chiptunes here.  :(
Would be interested to hear a comparison of the redbook tunes versus the ones from the HuCard. I bought the HuCard in the 90's and a big reason why I find the game boring is the music. If you lose me on the music, you'll more times than not lose me on the game as well.