PC Engine Memories: Best Of Japan box set...

Started by ElSeven, 09/20/2014, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

albatross

I got mine today...number 28 out of 100

Happy with my purchase...now its time to play some Sylphia!!!

HailingTheThings

Eye gawt Sen Frensasco 49ers out of hundo. Yay! Kinda noticed that the overall quality of the pressed discs themselves seems to be a little lesser than that of the Sapphire boot. Hmm...
IMG

Mathius

Mine are unfortunately stuck at the post office. Monday for me, I guess.

albatross

did anyone get a loose copy of sapphire when they bought the repro?  the loose one i bought might be a cdr as it looks different - lighter in colour mainly - not that it matters but should i not be using it if it is a cdr?  i have always just used the loose disc and have never played the actual repro - thanks

CrackTiger

Quote from: albatross on 10/04/2014, 09:40 PMdid anyone get a loose copy of sapphire when they bought the repro?  the loose one i bought might be a cdr as it looks different - lighter in colour mainly - not that it matters but should i not be using it if it is a cdr?  i have always just used the loose disc and have never played the actual repro - thanks
He started selling off the misprints cheap.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

albatross

FairWitness

Mine came in, got 96 of 100.  8) I never had a chance to play Renny Blaster before, and I ended up finishing it in one sitting only dying once near the end. I figured out pretty quickly that I could just cheese the enemies with the slide attack. That game is weird, a bit janky all around that's for sure.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: fairwitness on 10/05/2014, 07:43 PMMine came in, got 96 of 100.  8) I never had a chance to play Renny Blaster before, and I ended up finishing it in one sitting only dying once near the end. I figured out pretty quickly that I could just cheese the enemies with the slide attack. That game is weird, a bit janky all around that's for sure.
There does appear to be some jank, yes.

How long did it take you?
IMG

FairWitness

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/06/2014, 05:35 AMHow long did it take you?
Wasn't keeping track but it felt like no more than 30 minutes.

CrackTiger

Renny Blaster is an unfinished project that got sewn up and kicked out the door before being polished. It had a lot of potential though.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mathius

Got mine in today. BT, did you take any pics yet? You'll probably have better lighting than I do. I can try after work later today maybe.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Mathius on 10/06/2014, 03:00 PMGot mine in today. BT, did you take any pics yet? You'll probably have better lighting than I do. I can try after work later today maybe.
Bad lighting at my place too. Still waiting. Canada Post takes extra long for stuff that doesn't fit in a mail box and the carriers in my area only bother delivering two or three times a week.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: fairwitness on 10/06/2014, 07:31 AM
30 minutes, hmm? Since you're a time traveler, I'll assume that means 45-60 for everyone else. Zhank you. I played it for a sec. then realized OMG need to play dat Kaze Kiri.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/06/2014, 05:10 PM
Quote from: fairwitness on 10/06/2014, 07:31 AM
30 minutes, hmm? Since you're a time traveler, I'll assume that means 45-60 for everyone else. Zhank you. I played it for a sec. then realized OMG need to play dat Kaze Kiri.
In my old playthrough video, it's 34 minutes from when you first gain control of a character until you beat the final boss. That's including the cinemas in-between, which can likely be skipped.

jlued686

Got mine today. I have to admit, the quality of this reproduction is kind of stunning. I'm pretty blown away by it. The attention to detail, the fact that he even included the spine cards, the concept art, and other extras, is really impressive.

Now, is it $150 impressive? I guess that's up to the buyer. The fact that these are basically glorified bootlegs makes me say no. But the overall quality makes me say yes.

Mathius

I gotta add my hat to the "blown away by quality" group. And Kazi Kiri is so much fun that I can't believe that I have been avoiding this game for so many years. If you like Kung Fu on the NES then you'll be in 16-Bit Super CD Heaven. No pics yet. It's nighttime now and I'll need sunshine to add the proper amount of light.

I got lot 24 out of 100.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 10/06/2014, 06:09 PMIn my old playthrough video, it's 34 minutes from when you first gain control of a character until you beat the final boss. That's including the cinemas in-between, which can likely be skipped.
Well, gosh darn, guess this be a game I don't have to block out much time for. Neato!

Thanks, Mister.
IMG

seieienbu

Whelp, sold out.  I knew I should've acted sooner.  Oh well.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Opethian

he said he was gonna offer up the games individually next year
IMG

seieienbu

From the email I received:

"more sets will be available later on this year.
Likely in late october or early november. People on the waiting list will
get a heads up early on. Expect an email in roughly 2 weeks from now."
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

CrackTiger

So are they going to be numbered "1/100" again. :P

I hope some collectors bought the set as an actual limited edition collectible.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 10/07/2014, 04:09 PMSo are they going to be numbered "1/100" again. :P

I hope some collectors bought the set as an actual limited edition collectible.
That'd be too funny. No one should purchase these thinking "OMG! Future Rare, must hold onto!"
IMG

shubibiman

I wonder why I'm not surprised :p Tobias will never change. I told you so.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

esteban

Quote from: shubibiman on 10/08/2014, 05:14 AMI wonder why I'm not surprised :p Tobias will never change. I told you so.
He's going to re-releasing these items many, many times.

reson8er

Quote from: Mathius on 10/06/2014, 11:12 PMI gotta add my hat to the "blown away by quality" group. And Kazi Kiri is so much fun that I can't believe that I have been avoiding this game for so many years. If you like Kung Fu on the NES then you'll be in 16-Bit Super CD Heaven. No pics yet. It's nighttime now and I'll need sunshine to add the proper amount of light.

I got lot 24 out of 100.
Kaze Kiri is a great game and a favorite of mine, it really scratches my "ninja action" game itch on the PCE. Very fun game, especially when you learn the controls and start doing all the moves in succession.

clackattack

Looks pretty awesome to me, maybe if i order one soon i can score one of those sweet coins!
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

Samuray

Quote from: clackattack on 10/09/2014, 10:51 AMLooks pretty awesome to me, maybe if i order one soon i can score one of those sweet coins!
Well, I would think that even when the set is re-released, the coins will not be. Just a hunch.

Any thoughts on the peculiarly titled "Renny Blaster", anyone? Didn't know about that game until now.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Samuray on 10/09/2014, 07:07 PMAny thoughts on the peculiarly titled "Renny Blaster", anyone? Didn't know about that game until now.
It isn't worth $400.
IMG

Lochlan

Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Lochlan on 10/10/2014, 01:27 AM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 10/09/2014, 11:40 PMIt isn't worth $400.
Just gonna leave this here, for those who may not be aware of it: http://insomnia.ac/commentary/on_value_for_money/
Interesting little post, I like the concepts in it and it make sense from the point of a reviewer, but not a consumer to me.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

esteban

Just gonna leave this here, for those who may not be aware of it: http://insomnia.ac/commentary/on_value_for_money/
I agree with the author of that post: reviews are stronger when they focus on the game itself. It's ok to question spending too much $$$$, but perhaps in separate section, at end of review.

:pcgs:

Lochlan

Quote from: guest on 10/10/2014, 12:20 PMInteresting little post, I like the concepts in it and it make sense from the point of a reviewer, but not a consumer to me.
It's true that the article was referring to another context, but the same concepts apply "as a consumer."

When HailingTheThings says "It isn't worth $400" what he really means is "given my own personal financial situation and interest level in this game, I would not pay $400 to own it."  It's a statement about himself, despite being worded as if it were a fact about the game.  You or others may or may not agree with that statement.  If a reader knows HailingTheThings and knows that they share his taste in games and financial standing then his statement has some value to them.  But it's still not a fact that the game "isn't worth $400."

And I think that HailingTheThings was also implicitly "reviewing" this game when he made a statement about its relative worth--but he did so on the basis of cost, which I consider to be a misguided approach, hence the link.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Lochlan on 10/10/2014, 09:38 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/10/2014, 12:20 PMInteresting little post, I like the concepts in it and it make sense from the point of a reviewer, but not a consumer to me.
It's true that the article was referring to another context, but the same concepts apply "as a consumer."

When HailingTheThings says "It isn't worth $400" what he really means is "given my own personal financial situation and interest level in this game, I would not pay $400 to own it."  It's a statement about himself, despite being worded as if it were a fact about the game.  You or others may or may not agree with that statement.  If a reader knows HailingTheThings and knows that they share his taste in games and financial standing then his statement has some value to them.  But it's still not a fact that the game "isn't worth $400."

And I think that HailingTheThings was also implicitly "reviewing" this game when he made a statement about its relative worth--but he did so on the basis of cost, which I consider to be a misguided approach, hence the link.
Don't think I've seen someone use my name that many times in a single post. Should buy me a fucking drink, hehe.

Also, that game is not worth $400, whether you can throw monies about or not. The games is just super meh.

THAT'S MY REVIEW, HOLY SHIT!!!

Also, seriously, buy me a drink, I may be more inclined to pay your asking price for Vasteel.

Also. . .

*kisses*
IMG

SamIAm

On one hand, I find it a little asinine when someone is reviewing a game and they say something like "It's not worth $30". Do you think it's worth $20? If $30 is as valuable to me as $20 is to you, should I get it? If I enjoy the game 50% more than you, should I get it? These subjective factors make the statement useless, and a time-wasting distraction from the rest of the review.

However, on the other hand, in extreme situations where the price is sky-high and the game totally blows, it makes plenty of sense. It's hard to draw a line, but $400 is a considerable chunk of change for most people. If you simply think the game isn't fun, there's probably not much harm in pointing out that the price is reason enough to avoid it.

esteban

Quote from: SamIAm on 10/10/2014, 11:56 PMOn one hand, I find it a little asinine when someone is reviewing a game and they say something like "It's not worth $30". Do you think it's worth $20? If $30 is as valuable to me as $20 is to you, should I get it? If I enjoy the game 50% more than you, should I get it? These subjective factors make the statement useless, and a time-wasting distraction from the rest of the review.

However, on the other hand, in extreme situations where the price is sky-high and the game totally blows, it makes plenty of sense. It's hard to draw a line, but $400 is a considerable chunk of change for most people. If you simply think the game isn't fun, there's probably not much harm in pointing out that the price is reason enough to avoid it.
Well-said.

I can't put it any clearer than you did, except to add that the reviewer should discuss "cost of ownership" in a separate section at end of review (separate from the actual review).

"Cost of ownership" should not be a thread running through a review.

schweaty

this is re-seller/dealer propaganda.  it's the standard line everyone trying to sell anything at an outrageous mark-up tries to use.  "it may not be worth it to you, but it might be to someone else" really means "99.9% of you aren't stupid enough to pay this, but I'm waiting for that .1% moron to walk through that door." 

I believe that when most people say "it isnt worth the money" what they are really saying is "from a strictly gameplay standpoint, there just isnt enough game there to justify the expenditure".  a collector may be willing to overlook a bad game just for the rarety/collectibility of a game, but i dont care about them.  this is a TG16/PCE GAMERS forum, not a collectors forum.  Collectors and their subjective definitions of "worth" can go somewhere else.

whisper2053

Quote from: schweaty on 10/11/2014, 09:45 AM
this is re-seller/dealer propaganda.  it's the standard line everyone trying to sell anything at an outrageous mark-up tries to use.  "it may not be worth it to you, but it might be to someone else" really means "99.9% of you aren't stupid enough to pay this, but I'm waiting for that .1% moron to walk through that door." 

I believe that when most people say "it isnt worth the money" what they are really saying is "from a strictly gameplay standpoint, there just isnt enough game there to justify the expenditure".  a collector may be willing to overlook a bad game just for the rarety/collectibility of a game, but i dont care about them.  this is a TG16/PCE GAMERS forum, not a collectors forum.  Collectors and their subjective definitions of "worth" can go somewhere else.
*looks for like button, can't find one...agrees totally*
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

CrackTiger

If a game regularly sells for an aporopriately low or reasonable price, then that is what it is worth paying for it as a buyer and player. Even if at the same time idiots regularly hit Buy it Now on listings ten times higher, it isn't worth the top end price. That is just immoral gougers preying on the ignorant, which is unfortunately the majority of oraganized "collectors" who define their "hobby" by  what they learn from others. Even though losers regularly argue that the top end is "fair market value", all they're really saying is that sellers can legally get away with it and that is the the entirety of their moral compass. The only thing worse is the collecting enthusiasts who aren't fulltime resellers, yet cheer them on from the sidelines and spend all their time in game enthusiast forums like this on market talk and trying to convert the rest of us so that prices can sky rocket completely out of control.

Lochlan

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2014, 11:30 AMEven though losers regularly argue that the top end is "fair market value"
I hope you aren't talking about me here.  I was just posting a link and throwing in my $0.02 about the relevance of saying what a game is "worth" (financially) in the first place, I wasn't making any direct statement about the value of Renny Blaster, which I have not even played.

Quote from: schweaty on 10/11/2014, 09:45 AMthis is re-seller/dealer propaganda
I'm weirdly flattered to be called a propagandist, it feels like a sign that my argument seems convincing to the unconvinced.  FWIW my position, just speaking personally, is more that of the "moron" you refer to in your post rather than the boogeyman gouger.

Quote from: schweaty on 10/11/2014, 09:45 AMthis is a TG16/PCE GAMERS forum, not a collectors forum
Are you making value judgements about me?  It's not clear from the context, maybe you are just speaking generally?  I have a vast collection that I play regularly, and I'm also a PCE developer.  I think the whole collector/gamer dichotomy is a little misguided myself, my thoughts about that are here if you're curious (although I suspect you will disagree with me given the tone of your reply!!): https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17248.msg357769#msg357769

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Lochlan on 10/11/2014, 04:16 PMI wasn't making any direct statement about the value of Renny Blaster, which I have not even played.
You should really check it out.

*catface*
IMG

pixeljunkie

I think in this case, everyone is right. Because it boils down to just that: opinion. I think in any market connected to a "hobby" you deal with this. There will always be artificial market inflation thanks to scumbags looking to cash in or flip. It frustrates everyone, including the people that only collect. But especially hurts those of us that want to play these games.

True, we could play teh roms all day. But for many of us [speaking of myself especially] I am acquiring games I wanted when I was in high school but couldn't afford. [see: Die Hard Gamefan ads with tons of import screenshots] I am buying the real thing to play because I get an emotional connection from touching and experiencing "the real thing". I realize its purely a nostalgic connection, but it is what it is and I don't get that from roms.

Something like these bootlegs manages to do a couple of things:

1. tickles my fancy of getting to play physical copies of these games that I can't afford or won't buy [in this case Sylphia being the only one I can't justify dropping $300+ on]

2. buying something brand new that's PC Engine related. Be it official or not. It's fun. I get a colorful new package in the mail to unwrap and look at.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about morons who pay inflated prices because they are impatient or ignorant. It has zero to do with value/gameplay in these instances. In my opinion it is just an unfortunate side effect of living in the time we are in with internet, ebay, etc. Its only going to get worse.

NecroPhile

Quote from: schweaty on 10/11/2014, 09:45 AMI believe that when most people say "it isnt worth the money" what they are really saying is "from a strictly gameplay standpoint, there just isnt enough game there to justify the expenditure".  a collector may be willing to overlook a bad game just for the rarety/collectibility of a game, but i dont care about them.  this is a TG16/PCE GAMERS forum, not a collectors forum.  Collectors and their subjective definitions of "worth" can go somewhere else.
Bullshit; most everyone here is a collector, at least in part.  If all we cared about were playing games, we'd have nothing but an everdrive and a pile of CDRs.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Otaking

Happy Console Gamer has just uploaded a new video about this box set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

ClodBusted

Quote from: NecroPhile on 09/22/2014, 11:17 AMPressed is nice, but I don't like how he charges an arm and a leg for something that costs him only a few bucks to produce.
=D>

mac

Quote from: guest on 10/19/2014, 01:15 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/22/2014, 11:17 AMPressed is nice, but I don't like how he charges an arm and a leg for something that costs him only a few bucks to produce.
=D>
Hear, hear !

While I do like the concept for this project, personally would have rather seen the money spent on getting a real english translation and publishing rights for one game.

Kaga Create owns the Faussete Armour IP along with other Naxat software titles http://www.kaga-create.co.jp/

esteban

Quote from: mac on 10/20/2014, 08:30 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/22/2014, 11:17 AMPressed is nice, but I don't like how he charges an arm and a leg for something that costs him only a few bucks to produce.
=D>
Hear, hear !

While I do like the concept for this project, personally would have rather seen the money spent on getting a real english translation and publishing rights for one game.

Kaga Create owns the Faussete Armour IP along with other Naxat software titles http://www.kaga-create.co.jp/
Bootlegging PCE games is not nearly as complex/time consuming as localizing a game (let alone securing legal permission).

(1) A mediocre graphic designer with some experience dealing with printers can easily bootleg a game.

There are a lot of folks in that pool.

VS.

(2) A team of people with the requisite skills to competently localize/translate a PCE game and issue an English-language patch?

Not too many folks can do this.

Sadly.

mac

Quote from: esteban on 10/20/2014, 09:53 AM
Quote from: mac on 10/20/2014, 08:30 AM
=D>
Hear, hear !

Bootlegging PCE games is not nearly as complex/time consuming as localizing a game (let alone securing legal permission).

(1) A mediocre graphic designer with some experience dealing with printers can easily bootleg a game.

There are a lot of folks in that pool.

VS.

(2) A team of people with the requisite skills to competently localize/translate a PCE game and issue an English-language patch?

Not too many folks can do this.

Sadly.
Exactly, I started learning more and more about programming the Turbo 18 months ago and just now can get a sprite to walk across the screen without having to reference some literature for every command lol. Much OBEY respect for the people with the knowledge and skill required.

Bootlegging is simple in comparison to the skills required for making us new games. I personally would rather see resources spent on the next Ys IV, Rondo of Blood, Xak III project. This guy is simply making a buck off others work all the while not offering anything in return content wise.

Of course this is just my opinion.. :D

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

Samuray

Quote from: esadajr on 10/27/2014, 04:33 PMJust picked up mine from the forwarder last Saturday (33/100) I like the professional look. I got it on impulse (like another forum member) and I'm debating whether I should keep it.
If you were to decide to break up the set, you could tempt me with "Sylphia" :p