PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Question about Region modding a TG-16 console.

Started by Nexus7, 12/12/2014, 12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nexus7

I was just wondering if after I had the mod installed I could then use the Japanese version of the Super CD 3.0 card for both Japanese and American Super CD games?  The reason I ask is because the American version of the Super CD 3.0 card goes for like $200 on Ebay, but I can find the Japanese version for less than $50.

Thanks

NecroPhile

Yep.  The region mod is much more cost effective than paying stupid monies for a US super system card, with the added bonus getting to play all those huey games we were denied and the option of paying a bit more for an Arcade Card Pro (play anything but GE games).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Nexus7

NecroPhile

Games Express, an unlicensed developer whose cd games came with their own system cards in a special case that held the syscard huey atop the disc.

Nexus7

Is an Arcade card backward compatible with standard Super CD Rom games?

schweaty

Quote from: Nexus7 on 12/12/2014, 02:25 PMIs an Arcade card backward compatible with standard Super CD Rom games?
Yes... like the man said, you can play ANY CD game (but the GE games...whatever those are)

Nexus7

One last question.   

There seems to be two different Arcade cards.  One going for around the $30 mark and one that hovers in the $70-80 range.  What are the differences?   Thanks guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-ARCADE-CARD-DUO-Import-JAPAN-/201240196997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edad9b785

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-Arcade-Card-PRO-JAPAN-GAME-Clean-Work-fully-/171567108358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f2325106

NecroPhile

The pro card is for the original CD add-ons and has 16mb of Arcade CD ram plus the 2mb for the Super System.  The duo card is for everything else (Duos, LaserActive, and Super CD add-on) and has just the extra 16mb.  The pro card will work on any system, but it's only necessary for the original CD systems.

Nexus7

Quote from: guest on 12/12/2014, 03:10 PMThe pro card is for the original CD add-ons and has 16mb of Arcade CD ram plus the 2mb for the Super System.  The duo card is for everything else (Duos, LaserActive, and Super CD add-on) and has just the extra 16mb.  The pro card will work on any system, but it's only necessary for the original CD systems.
Cool, I guess I'll just go for the Arcade PRO after I get my TG-16 region modded.

clackattack

If you can bare to wait for shipping, I found a hella' good deal on my arcade card pro CIC from amazon. It was straight from Japan so it took a good 2-3 weeks, but it was like 30$
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

Nexus7

Quote from: clackattack on 12/12/2014, 03:30 PMIf you can bare to wait for shipping, I found a hella' good deal on my arcade card pro CIC from amazon. It was straight from Japan so it took a good 2-3 weeks, but it was like 30$
Looks like I can get a new one for $80 on Amazon.

clackattack

there ya go, get a sealed one to look at...then once your tired of starring at it and want to use it, video yourself ripping it open and post in on here!
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

Nexus7

Quote from: clackattack on 12/12/2014, 03:56 PMthere ya go, get a sealed one to look at...then once your tired of starring at it and want to use it, video yourself ripping it open and post in on here!
They have used ones too but they aren't any cheaper than New ones.