RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity

Started by slinkyturd, 12/13/2014, 10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graffias79

He's not that bad.  Nobody can excel at everything and I guess the TG-16 is one of those consoles that he hasn't wrapped his head around.  He's definitely not the most annoying video game related YouTube channel out there.

Nemo

Quote from: mackdanger on 12/14/2014, 01:12 AM
Quote from: slinkyturd on 12/13/2014, 10:33 PMI don't understand why they even made this video. Is he that delusional that he thinks people want to see his goofy doofus face. No one wants to see a long haired pudgy chinless version of Kay from Sword in the Stone. Yet 30k+ people have watched this shit smear's video. What the hell?!
When I started paying attention to YT, I was disappointed to find that gaming on YouTube is a wasteland. The grown "men" who pretend to be legitimately terrified by screen savers like Five Nights
at Freddie's are of course the worst. The rest seem to be like the guy in the video.
"Hey everybody. Look at all the shit I have! I just bought another box of shit off Ebay! Check out all the shit I bought! I better move a little to the left, so I don't block your view of my big wall of shit. Tune in next week when I unbox the rare Cambodian bootleg of the ZX Spectrum classic Granny Farts a Biscuit. It's like my favorite game EVARRRRRRR!" 

And it is at that point you realize why the video was made, and why the hidden gems chosen were anything but. He needed an excuse to make a video about more of his shit.
Agreed, I don't mind people like Metal Jesus because he's not very entertaining, it's not a gift everyone has, but hes trying to do something with his life, so I won't hate on him for it, I just won't watch his videos.  The bigger problem is everyone wants to be a collector now and brag about it on YouTube like anyone gives a spit.  "Oh yesh, I own Magical Chase, does my life have meaning now?!"  And other impressionable minds see this and are like "oooh that Turbo looks like the fun, I wanna collect all the games too!".  And all I see are a bunch of grown men with a disease called collecting, that is tragic not admirable.  I'd love to know what the ratio of games they own to the games they have actually beaten is.
/jt13pz9.gif

slinkyturd

Quote from: jordan_hillman on 12/18/2014, 05:58 PMMetal Jesus might be the worst thing to ever happen to the Internet and the YouTube...

But on the real, all of these 45 year-old virgin jackoffs need to stop recording their hobbies and providing us with a 5 minutes synopsis of a 2 minute Google search.
YES!!!! Either know what you are making a video about or don't make a damn video.
70/95 US Turbochips

o.pwuaioc

Even people who know how to make a video more times than not ought not to do so.

GoldenWheels

Metal Jesus doesn't hock stuff or have commercials pre-vid does he? I've only watched a few.

It kind of rubs me the wrong way when someone like Gamester81 has a commercial for say, Stone Age Gamer or Bit Boxes in front of his videos, and then "reviews" something and gives it a good review, and immediately recommends you get it at...Stone Age Gamer (who I like, I have a couple of their products). Or "reviews" his own homebrew effort. Etc. That's the shit that makes me lose faith in (video game) humanity. Maybe he's 100% honest and unbiased when it comes to reviewing things that help line his pocket, and maybe I can dunk on a regulation rim.

That guys videos are like xanx anyway, even when they are about something good. Talk about monotone.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: slinkyturd on 12/19/2014, 04:55 AM
Quote from: jordan_hillman on 12/18/2014, 05:58 PMMetal Jesus might be the worst thing to ever happen to the Internet and the YouTube...

But on the real, all of these 45 year-old virgin jackoffs need to stop recording their hobbies and providing us with a 5 minutes synopsis of a 2 minute Google search.
YES!!!! Either know what you are making a video about or don't make a damn video.
Maybe but he never claims to know anything really. When ever it is about a system game series or what have you that he didn't grow up on or have a vested interest he brings on a friend who has an interest in said video.

For the most part I have enjoyed them. The people on it seem Ernest in their individual passion for what ever they are brought on for.

He has two friends really into Sega

A female friend into N64 and GameCube
And he is really all about PC gaming being that he worked for Siera.

Granted the TG-16 video is his weakest and for that I am glad.  I am always fearful of a higher profile youtuber talking about Nel GeoSega or Tg-16. Because I just keep seeing prices jump a little higher.

Now if I already HAD all the SEGA TG-16 and Neo Geo MVS stuff I wanted then talk away lol.  But I dont.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 12/19/2014, 08:37 AMMetal Jesus doesn't hock stuff or have commercials pre-vid does he? I've only watched a few.

It kind of rubs me the wrong way when someone like Gamester81 has a commercial for say, Stone Age Gamer or Bit Boxes in front of his videos, and then "reviews" something and gives it a good review, and immediately recommends you get it at...Stone Age Gamer (who I like, I have a couple of their products). Or "reviews" his own homebrew effort. Etc. That's the shit that makes me lose faith in (video game) humanity. Maybe he's 100% honest and unbiased when it comes to reviewing things that help line his pocket, and maybe I can dunk on a regulation rim.

That guys videos are like xanx anyway, even when they are about something good. Talk about monotone.
I seriously doubt he has anything to do with the ads played before his videos. Most web ads are targeted based upon your search history, cookies, subscriptions, and anything else they can mine from your device cache or profile.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: guest on 12/19/2014, 09:07 AMI seriously doubt he has anything to do with the ads played before his videos. Most web ads are targeted based upon your search history, cookies, subscriptions, and anything else they can mine from your device cache or profile.
I'm certainly not sure but I think he does, the voice over for the ad is often his voice (believe that was the case for bit box one) and the ads (could also be wrong here as I haven't watched one of his videos in a while) seem to be part of the actual video....they're not those random pre-vid commercials you can skip after 5 seconds or whatever.

EDIT: I checked one random one quick ("Gamerz Tek 8-Bit Entertainment System Review"), it was his voice and it was an actual part of the video. Was for the powerbase converter thing, which is a great product. But that still rubs me the wrong way.

Miracle_Warrior

After reading through this thread, one thing is VERY certain...Metal Jesus will never sign up for a pcenginefx account.  We already have the ultimate obey reviewer though.  :)

jordan_hillman

Quote from: Miracle_Warrior on 12/19/2014, 11:10 AMAfter reading through this thread, one thing is VERY certain...Metal Jesus will never sign up for a pcenginefx account.  We already have the ultimate obey reviewer though.  :)
Damn straight! Spida1a's turbo views are the standard I hold all YouTube gamer/reviews videos too.

Sadly, most fall short.
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

slinkyturd

Quote from: jordan_hillman on 12/19/2014, 01:39 PM
Quote from: Miracle_Warrior on 12/19/2014, 11:10 AMAfter reading through this thread, one thing is VERY certain...Metal Jesus will never sign up for a pcenginefx account.  We already have the ultimate obey reviewer though.  :)
Damn straight! Spida1a's turbo views are the standard I hold all YouTube gamer/reviews videos too.

Sadly, most fall short.
Turbo Views are the only TG ones I look for. That said they are better than most every gaming reviewer on youtube for any given system. CGR Undertow does some good reviews too, but I've never seen them do a TG game and I've never looked for it either. Other systems they seem to do a good job. Those 2 are the only ones I'll go out of my way to look for a review I want to see.
70/95 US Turbochips

PikachuWarrior

MJ wouldn't be getting all these views/subscribers if he wasn't entertaining and/or popular. I'll admit, his Turbo GEMs videos are terrible and not indicative of what most (who are deeply familiar with) consider a hidden gem. Technically all TG16 games are hidden games, given the obscurity of the console in the US, but we know better!
IMG

chany60126

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 12/19/2014, 03:29 PMMJ wouldn't be getting all these views/subscribers if he wasn't entertaining and/or popular. I'll admit, his Turbo GEMs videos are terrible and not indicative of what most (who are deeply familiar with) consider a hidden gem. Technically all TG16 games are hidden games, given the obscurity of the console in the US, but we know better!
And we also know how much the turbo games are worth.... down to the penny!!

NightWolve

Quote from: chany60126 on 12/19/2014, 03:35 PM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 12/19/2014, 03:29 PMMJ wouldn't be getting all these views/subscribers if he wasn't entertaining and/or popular. I'll admit, his Turbo GEMs videos are terrible and not indicative of what most (who are deeply familiar with) consider a hidden gem. Technically all TG16 games are hidden games, given the obscurity of the console in the US, but we know better!
And we also know how much the turbo games are worth.... down to the penny!!
Zing! Heh-heh. Now he'll complain about us holding grudges for too long! ;)

Greg2600

I greatly enjoy MJR videos.  So there.
The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Greg2600 on 12/26/2014, 07:55 PMI greatly enjoy MJR videos.  So there.
Damn, you've got a point. Shit.
IMG

slinkyturd

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 12/26/2014, 11:21 PM
Quote from: Greg2600 on 12/26/2014, 07:55 PMI greatly enjoy MJR videos.  So there.
Damn, you've got a point. Shit.
I must recant my previous statements under the weight of the reasoning behind that statement.
70/95 US Turbochips

o.pwuaioc

Is anyone saying that his videos on average suck? I only groaned when I saw the Turbo videos, and that's two out of dozens.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 12/27/2014, 11:47 AMIs anyone saying that his videos on average suck? I only groaned when I saw the Turbo videos, and that's two out of dozens.
Some are.

I find that most of his videos are pretty good.

Maybe it is because it isn't always just him. He does a lot where friends will come on and talk about a game series or system that he doesn't really get that into as his go to person for that video or topic. Mind you it is more who he has on and what they know about a given topic that might make people annoyed then MJR himself. As it is not himself giving much input bit asking the random "clueless guy" question either for the benefit of those unfamiliar with said system or game or he truly is in the dark.

HailingTheThings

Honestly, overall I don't mind MJR. Like he annoys the shit outta me, but he's not that bad. I think more than anything it's his friends that fuck up any chance of him being amazing in my book. Well, except CircuitsAndCoffee, she's cool, but only because she's so nerdy and awkward that it somehow works in her favor or something.
IMG

slinkyturd

I wasn't impressed with his PS2 lists either, his forte really. His Best ever ps2 lists seemed to me to be a top list of just RPGs. Like I get that RPGs are good but they shouldn't dominate the best of list for THAT system.

He's missed on every list I've seen, He's a dopey ogre lookin' mother fucker, and his videos seem ill prepared.
70/95 US Turbochips

esteban

Quote from: slinkyturd on 12/28/2014, 01:52 PMI wasn't impressed with his PS2 lists either, his forte really. His Best ever ps2 lists seemed to me to be a top list of just RPGs. Like I get that RPGs are good but they shouldn't dominate the best of list for THAT system.

He's missed on every list I've seen, He's a dopey ogre lookin' mother fucker, and his videos seem ill prepared.
Ha! You really don't like this guy. I'm not going to change your mind. :) I don't disagree with you: judging by his knowledge of video games, he is not a "match" for me. But that's probably why I like him—he has a different perspective on things.

IN DEFENSE (again) of METALJESUS: As simply a host of a show, I still like him.

I guess, at the most basic level, I think the ogre is charming and I'll watch him do anything, really. I don't watch him for his expertise, I watch him because he has a friendly, endearing presence in front of the camera.

He is dopey-looking, but I think his heart is pretty sincere. That's why I like him...he strikes me as a genuinely nice person. Making videos. He is not an expert. But he's still better than SO MANY other folks out there.

Remember, I see most videos on YouTube as *entertainment*, first and foremost. It just makes life easier if I do this. Even folks who allegedly prepare the content of their videos in advance struggle with basic research skills, it seems.

So, my expectation going into 99% of videos is this: the video might be entertaining...and even if it isn't, I might delve into topic __________ in more detail (that is, do my own research).

LOTS OF CRAPPY SITES/podcasts/videos have been the starting point for my own exploration.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

geise

LOL.  You youtubers........wasting your lives.

Sarumaru

Quote from: geise on 12/28/2014, 03:52 PMLOL.  You youtubers........wasting your lives.
I think it looks like fun! Seems that some people have fun making these videos and people are obviously watching. If I wasn't so camera shy, I'd make more videos of my own. Though I must say, most of these people who review Turbo-anything are really hard to watch for me usually for things like garbling facts or general presence. But, they're doing it and I'm not so kudos to them!

o.pwuaioc

Basically what esteban said. Now AlphaOmegaSin, that's a guy I cannot stand at all.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/28/2014, 11:50 PMBasically what esteban said. Now AlphaOmegaSin, that's a guy I cannot stand at all.
Yeah, he's just TOO MUCH. I think he makes good points (I've only watched a handful of his videos, but his arguments were generally sound), but his delivery (protracted ranting) is tiring.

I do believe that AlohaStateSin actually plays games, in depth, so I will give him credit for that.

TOPIC CHANGE:

One guy I like (Lazy Game Reviews) is still not perfect for me, but I really enjoy the items he focuses on (old hardware and peripherals, old DOS games). As the "host" of a show, I think he does a good job (sure, he might be too-conscious of his own vocal delivery....but I attribute it to LGR "creating a persona" with a slightly-contrived "voice actor" approach). Anyway, I look forward to his stuff. I wish he did more research before filming, but I could say that for most folks.

I don't know his name, so I call him LGR. Ha. 

I'll be honest, though, I don't like 99% of the video game stuff out there on YouTube. So much garbage.

Groover

I have seen this video and other videos and I also don't line up with his tastes in games. I respect those are his choices. I also don't fully understand his taste in games because they are cheap and not good at times. If I go back to play games I like to play games that I fell help define the platform. Also there was still bad games then and I can live to avoid them at times.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Groover on 01/04/2015, 03:59 PMI have seen this video and other videos and I also don't line up with his tastes in games. I respect those are his choices. I also don't fully understand his taste in games because they are cheap and not good at times. If I go back to play games I like to play games that I fell help define the platform. Also there was still bad games then and I can live to avoid them at times.
I play all the games, "good" and "bad", because, honestly, lots of stuff that folks consider "bad" is not really bad. Plus, I don't trust anyone's opinion on stuff. I'd rather play a crappy game and decide for myself.

:)

Groover

Quote from: esteban on 01/04/2015, 04:59 PMI play all the games, "good" and "bad", because, honestly, lots of stuff that folks consider "bad" is not really bad. Plus, I don't trust anyone's opinion on stuff. I'd rather play a crappy game and decide for myself.

I can dig that. I like that you give some games a shot. I know I try some out even if they are not regarded well. I just remember as a kid picking up that new game and finding out is is a dud. Then you really sink some hours into it and it is still crap. This is not always the truth.
IMG

BenG76

This thread was a fun read. I wish some of you guys had YouTube channels.

jordan_hillman

Quote from: esteban on 01/04/2015, 04:59 PMI play all the games, "good" and "bad", because, honestly, lots of stuff that folks consider "bad" is not really bad. Plus, I don't trust anyone's opinion on stuff. I'd rather play a crappy game and decide for myself.

This is definitely the way I go as well. More often than not I find something redeemable or charming from just about every game I play, especially on the TG.

I'm even excited to give Night Creatures a shot (once I'm able to get a copy of course :() even though most of what I hear has been pretty negative.
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

BenG76

I agree a lot with this. I do like to at least watch some game play video sometimes before spending much on a game.

CGQuarterly

I liked some of Metal Jesus' earlier videos.  But now he's making videos to generate views, rather than doing it for its own sake (because I think he's trying to do it for a living maybe).  Same thing happened to Classic Game Room.

Greg2600

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 01/07/2015, 03:46 PMI liked some of Metal Jesus' earlier videos.  But now he's making videos to generate views, rather than doing it for its own sake (because I think he's trying to do it for a living maybe).  Same thing happened to Classic Game Room. 
I would agree with that.  I prefer when it's just him talking about a couple games.  His friends are not entertaining, and they seem to flash through the games.
The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com

TR0N

Quote from: Greg2600 on 01/07/2015, 11:50 PM
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 01/07/2015, 03:46 PMI liked some of Metal Jesus' earlier videos.  But now he's making videos to generate views, rather than doing it for its own sake (because I think he's trying to do it for a living maybe).  Same thing happened to Classic Game Room. 
I would agree with that.  I prefer when it's just him talking about a couple games.  His friends are not entertaining, and they seem to flash through the games.
That he is i wonder what happen to him reviewing his own games.Lately it's his friends,fine but uhh shouldn't they have there own channel for that !? On the agg podcast he says he's super busy with work so i don't know.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

KnightWarrior

Plain and simple

If you don't like his videos don't watch it

Me: I like his Videos

CGQuarterly

Quote from: KnightWarrior on 01/11/2015, 02:22 PMPlain and simple

Wow, thanks for the insight.  I guess we can just go ahead and lock this thread now.

NecroPhile

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 01/12/2015, 02:21 PMWow, thanks for the insight.  I guess we can just go ahead and lock this thread now.
Ha!

Plain and simple: no dissenting opinions or discussion is allowed in a discussion forum.  KnightWarrior hath spoken!!!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

captain_n77

Daaaaaaamn! Someone slap some sense into me if I ever dare to share an opinion without running it by you guys first.  :lol:

Seriously, Metal Jesus is a light-hearted, upbeat dude who loves games and finding out about games he missed out on(he's said that in quite a few videos). And remember, none of those hidden gem videos are for experts on those consoles. Can you imagine someone trying to make videos or articles about hidden gems for a bunch of experts? Not only would it not be news to the experts, but they would probably say some mean things about it on a forum somewhere!  :wink:
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe"

majors

Quote from: captain_n77 on 01/13/2015, 10:09 AMthey would probably WILL say some mean things about it on a forum somewhere!  :wink:
I think that is called teh interwebs.

I have Omega and Jesus on subscribe, but only when I'm out of Game Sack and Retrowaretv "VG Years" do I bother with lower tier hollytubers. CGR guy is fine by me, but his vids are too short and just too much bother now that he moved to his new site.

Retro Hardware was good for the few eps, like a briefing...no random chatter and BS, "just the facts, ma'am". But alas, no more.

There are two type of youtube game vids: Game Sack and NOT Game Sack.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

CGQuarterly

Quote from: captain_n77 on 01/13/2015, 10:09 AMSeriously, Metal Jesus is a light-hearted, upbeat dude who loves games and finding out about games he missed out on(he's said that in quite a few videos).
I agree, and as I said before I like his earlier videos.  But it has become pretty obvious that his main focus now is getting as many views as possible, rather than creating high-quality videos.  A lot of people do this, trying to follow a formula to boost viewership and number of subscribers.  The only two reasons for doing this are ego and money.  It has nothing to do with putting out quality.  CGR guy does the exact same thing, but I think he's entertaining and his videos are short, so when he's showing off a game that I like, I'll watch the vid. 

Game Sack is a perfect example of what I'm talking about (or maybe the antithesis of what I'm talking about.)  It's pretty obviously the highest-quality YouTube show about retrogaming, both from a production standpoint as well as content.  But look at how many subscribers they have and how many average views their videos get.  Criminally low compared to a lot of asshats out there who are churning out complete shit.  But those people are following the formula.  YouTube rewards quantity over quality because it's primary user base are teenagers and twenty-somethings who have no attention span and are used to the Facebook/Twitter universe.  Constant, meaningless updates.   So a guy like CGR, who uploads a video every day but says basically nothing has tons of subs and views even though his channel lacks real substance. 

It all comes down to your motivation.  Are you trying to do something that you can stand behind and be proud of (or maybe it's a hobby and you're doing it for fun or as a creative outlet)?  Or are you just trying to generate clicks, make some money, and become a YT celeb who gets to sit on panel discussions at gaming expos?

NightWolve

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 01/12/2015, 02:21 PM
Quote from: KnightWarrior on 01/11/2015, 02:22 PMPlain and simple
Wow, thanks for the insight.  I guess we can just go ahead and lock this thread now.
Gotta admit, that had me LMAO for a bit.

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan

NightWolve

Bernie

Now, I like Alpha Omega Sin.  He does tend to go on a tangent...but I like him.

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

poponon

HailingTheThings

Quote from: esteban on 02/19/2015, 12:13 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/18/2015, 11:55 PMIMG
Owe.

Mie.

Ghaahhd.
He done did got it for free, too.

Could have just given him a fucking Dio album, it's all the same, he wouldn't even know the difference. The man is mentally challenged after all.

The Lair of Metal Jesus Rocks: Where donated retro games go to get... idk, flushed down the toilet?

Tits.
IMG