10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Will the TED work on a region modded TG-16?

Started by Nexus7, 01/04/2015, 07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nexus7

I hear that there might be compatibility issues if you get your TG-16 region modded.  Is this true?

Bernie

I have never had issues with it.  But, there have been some reports of it.  I am going to say it depends on where the region mod is power sourced from.  One of the techs here may chime in, but I also think it's been discussed before as well.  Basically, if you get one of the new board type region mods, that most the guys here do, then you will be fine.

Nexus7

I was going to send it out to Game.Tech.US.  I asked him if his mod works with the TED, but he said he never tested it yet.   Here is how he does the mod.

Bernie

His will work.  He used the new boards that were designed by the guys here in the forums.

Nexus7

Awesome.   

One last question.   

Will the Japanese Super System Card 3.0 work with this mod as well?   This is really one of the main reasons why I want to get a region mod. The US version is just too damn expensive.

Bernie

Yes, it will.  :)

Also, let me know if you want my Turbo EverDrive folder setup.  Has everything you want and more in there, nicely organized.   :lol:

Gentlegamer

Keith Courage's region mods are TED compatible.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

GohanX

I've mostly seen issues with region modded Core Grafx systems, not TG16s with the TED (which is the opposite of the Neoflash cart.)

The TED works fine on all of my systems, and they are modded to hell and back.

turbokon

The only issues I have ever encountered is with the region modded white pc-engine and coregrafx not working with the everdrive.  Keeping the wires short and tapping voltage from the regulator will help when doing region mods on said systems.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

cjameslv

Quote from: Nexus7 on 01/04/2015, 07:04 AMI hear that there might be compatibility issues if you get your TG-16 region modded.  Is this true?
Odd question, as if you have ted then you don't need a region mod (this is assuming you don't already have a region mod tg16 before buying the ted) all you do is hit the tg16/pce switch, and make sure you put the 1.0/2.0/3.0 super cdrom rom in root dir so you can use it with your cd player, no need for a cd card if you have ted.

SephirothTNH

Quote from: cjameslv on 01/04/2015, 03:20 PMOdd question, as if you have ted then you don't need a region mod...
Not really.  You would still need a region mod for all the legitimate out of region games you would want to own.  Having an everdrive doesn't remove the desire to have legitimate games in one's collection.  At least for some of us.

cjameslv

Quote from: SephirothTNH on 01/04/2015, 03:24 PM
Quote from: cjameslv on 01/04/2015, 03:20 PMOdd question, as if you have ted then you don't need a region mod...
Not really.  You would still need a region mod for all the legitimate out of region games you would want to own.  Having an everdrive doesn't remove the desire to have legitimate games in one's collection.  At least for some of us.
His question wasn't about collecting or using legitimate games. And the beauty of the ted is you can still collect games and display them on your shelf vs having to continuously use the actual game and possibly shorten its life, expose it to spills, smoke or whatnot. 

Edit** Wait just reread your statement, i assume you don't own a ted by your reply. It doesn't matter what region the rom is from, you can use it for all hucard based games and homebrew.

SephirothTNH

Quote from: cjameslv on 01/04/2015, 03:28 PMHis question wasn't about collecting or using legitimate games.
???  I know.  His question was if there were compatibility issues between a TED and a region modded TG16.  It was quite clear and easy to understand and already answered.  I don't understand what bearing that has on my response.

Quote from: cjameslv on 01/04/2015, 03:28 PMEdit** Wait just reread your statement, i assume you don't own a ted by your reply. It doesn't matter what region the rom is from, you can use it for all hucard based games and homebrew.
I don't own a ted but I understand fully how it works.  It does not preclude the end users desire to take it out of the system and pop in a legit hu card. 

I do own a Everdrive N8 and I still regularly play legitimate nes carts.  Even though the game would work just fine on the N8.

Bernie

Quote from: cjameslv on 01/04/2015, 03:20 PM
Quote from: Nexus7 on 01/04/2015, 07:04 AMI hear that there might be compatibility issues if you get your TG-16 region modded.  Is this true?
Odd question, as if you have ted then you don't need a region mod (this is assuming you don't already have a region mod tg16 before buying the ted) all you do is hit the tg16/pce switch, and make sure you put the 1.0/2.0/3.0 super cdrom rom in root dir so you can use it with your cd player, no need for a cd card if you have ted.
Right and wrong.  You can use the 1.0 and 2.0 on the regular Turbo Grafx 16 machines and PC Engines, but not the 3.0 bios.  The system lacks the RAM for this one.  If being used on a Duo, then yeah, you could use whatever bios you wanted.  You also do not have to hit the pce/turbo switch for anything really.  Only time it is needed is if you switch from one region machine to the next.  The Turbo ED patches roms on the fly, from any region.

cjameslv

Quote from: Bernie on 01/04/2015, 04:40 PM
Right and wrong.  You can use the 1.0 and 2.0 on the regular Turbo Grafx 16 machines and PC Engines, but not the 3.0 bios.  The system lacks the RAM for this one...
Hmm, this one maybe has to do with the version# of the ted perhaps or possibly something else?  I use the 3.0 for all my games currently and it works on my tg16 cd (see sig pic). I haven't used the other versions as no need has arose where it didn't work yet. I have heard altered beast needs 1.0 but i don't have that game to confirm this.

Nexus7

But the Super System Card 3.0 has extra ram.   Does the TED have ram built in that can act as a system 3.0 card?

Bernie

No, it does not.  You cannot use the 3.0 BIOS with the Turbo EverDrive at this time.  You can use the others however.

NecroPhile

You need the region mod for Arcade Card sexy time too.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Bernie

Quote from: guest on 01/05/2015, 11:52 AMYou need the region mod for Arcade Card sexy time too.
Damn skippy!!

NightWolve

Yeah, good point, you would still want a region mod on a US system for the Japanese Arcade Card Duo. As Shawn mentioned, using good, [copper] short wires and tapping the voltage directly from the output leg of the 5 Volt regulator solves region mod + flashcart problems. When you tap the voltage from the AV out or elsewhere, it's gone through traces in the motherboard and gained resistance as a result, so there's a slight voltage drop and less juice availability.

Keith Courage

Turbo everdrive region switch compatibility.

Both US Turbo Grafx and JP DUO-R systems work just fine with both an 8PDT switch or chip based region switch

Regular DUO systems both US and JP require a chip based mod and tapping of 5V from the 7805 voltage regulator.

PC engine/Core grafx require a chip based mod with the wires being as short as possible and tapping the 5V from the 7805 voltage regulator.

Bernie

Strangest thing happened last night.  I fired up The Legendary Axe, via EverDrive, on the PC Engine Duo  I recently got from turbokon, and it played just fine...until the second level.  The graphics were all out of whack, big time.  My character sprite was fine, but the level itself was all jacked up. I couldn't proceed more than half a screen.  The lava river that flows underneath the level floor?  It was also in a strange place....it literally split the screen in half from top to bottom.  The rocks were solid, and I could jump onto them, sometimes making it through.  Strangest thing I have ever encountered with my EverDrive.  Now, I fired up the same game, same rom, on my Turbo Duo...it played just fine..no issues at all.  Japanese rom played just fine on the PCE, so I am not really sure what the hell went down....

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Bernie on 01/04/2015, 09:13 AMYes, it will.  :)

Also, let me know if you want my Turbo EverDrive folder setup.  Has everything you want and more in there, nicely organized.   :lol:
Hey Bernie can you Hooke me up with this?  I need to fix my Everdrive folders. Mine are sloppy and done like badly.

Bernie

Medic_wheat