RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Stupid boulders in Legendary Axe

Started by Warbucks, 04/13/2015, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbucks

I just got Legendary Axe and popped it in.. (haven't played this game in 15 years)

Those damn boulders on the second board keep kicking my ass.

I can kill the 1st one its the second one that gets me. I try using the rope but still getting hit.

Any suggestions?

esteban

You just have to practice jumping and climbing out of the way. It actually isn't too bad. Also, hit boulders with charged-up axe.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PukeSter

I never use the rope. I always kill the first one before I reach the screen.

Tip: you will keep your charge even when you are hit. Do not swing until you are in the clear.

Such an amazing game.

Bake

You'll need to collect the wings from stage 1 and 2 to increase the axe speed- if you die before you get to the boulder, you'll lose attack speed. So, you know, don't die. Turn the turbo switch up, and hold the attack button as the boulder approaches. Just stay in place, no jumping or anything. You might get hit once, but that should do the trick.

CrackTiger

There are some cheap and unbalanced enemies and stages later on. The boulders are one of the easier challenges in the game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

HailingTheThings

I think the best way to beat 'em is to meditate first. :3
IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: Bake on 04/13/2015, 10:53 PMYou'll need to collect the wings from stage 1 and 2 to increase the axe speed- if you die before you get to the boulder, you'll lose attack speed. So, you know, don't die. Turn the turbo switch up, and hold the attack button as the boulder approaches. Just stay in place, no jumping or anything. You might get hit once, but that should do the trick.
Don't hack quickly. With a charged axe each Boulder only takes 3 swings.

And again, don't walk to the end of the screen or you will be locked in with both boulders. Walk back and kill the first one as soon as you see it approaching you.

EvilEvoIX

If you inch along the first boulder appears before the boos fight even begins, so go after that one first you can kill it simply by following and hacking it.  the other one I just trade with it as I can make it through the level with most of my health and I just attack it really fast.  To do it right is basically stick and move and it takes forever.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Joe Redifer

I just flip on the rapid fire and the boulders all die easily. Because they were actually alive to begin with, I guess.

technozombie

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/14/2015, 08:49 PMI just flip on the rapid fire and the boulders all die easily. Because they were actually alive to begin with, I guess.
Ha, that's a line right out of Gamesack, you should use that.........but then you'd have to pay royalties to the thread creator or something.    :lol:

Anyways, I know this has been talked about a million times but I always feel like using the rapid fire for something like that is cheating. Maybe that's why I don't get very far in Legendary Axe.

esteban

Quote from: technozombie on 04/15/2015, 11:55 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/14/2015, 08:49 PMI just flip on the rapid fire and the boulders all die easily. Because they were actually alive to begin with, I guess.
Ha, that's a line right out of Gamesack, you should use that.........but then you'd have to pay royalties to the thread creator or something.    :lol:

Anyways, I know this has been talked about a million times but I always feel like using the rapid fire for something like that is cheating. Maybe that's why I don't get very far in Legendary Axe.
Well, there are times when using rapid-fire will work, but it is not what I would consider the "optimal strategy".

For example, with the boulders, it makes sense to wack the rocks with a full-power axe...but if you mess up, rapid-fire will work.

Same with the jumping salamanders in the caves and Jagu (final boss).

It feels so much more satisfying to whack 'em 2-3 times with thunderous wallops than to pussyfoot around with rapid fire.

PUSSYFOOTERS.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bake

Quote from: technozombie on 04/15/2015, 11:55 AMAnyways, I know this has been talked about a million times but I always feel like using the rapid fire for something like that is cheating. Maybe that's why I don't get very far in Legendary Axe.
Rapid fire only helps so much. I think the reason you don't get very far is because LA is tough.

dallaspattern

Crouch down and turbo it up bud!