PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

If you could only have one console for the rest of your life.

Started by DeshDildo, 10/13/2015, 09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeshDildo

If you could only have 1 console for the rest of your life what would it be?  I had to think about this for a minute but then my personal selection seemed obvious to me.  What console will give me the most amount of high quality games?

My answer, the Nintendo Wii.  Before you start laughing, hear me out.  Out of the box you have The entire Wii and Gamecube library (at least if you selected a Wii console before price cutting).  On top of that, the amount of software mods for this thing is vast.  It's a nice little emulation machine.  I can play everything from Atari 2600 to the 16 bit era (reliably).  The Nintendo Wii can literally play more games than I would have time to play for the rest of my life.  The MAME emulator is not the best but most of my favorite titles are certainly playable.  I can't think of any other console that could give me more.  On top of that I can play DVD's and stream youtube, netflix etc.

There you have it.  If I were to die only playing one console for the rest of my life, it would be the Nintendo Wii (running Wiimednafen to obey).
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

PukeSter

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Desh on 10/13/2015, 09:08 PMIf you could only have 1 console for the rest of your life what would it be?  I had to think about this for a minute but then my personal selection seemed obvious to me.  What console will give me the most amount of high quality games?

My answer, the Nintendo Wii.  Before you start laughing, hear me out.  Out of the box you have The entire Wii and Gamecube library (at least if you selected a Wii console before price cutting).  On top of that, the amount of software mods for this thing is vast.  It's a nice little emulation machine.  I can play everything from Atari 2600 to the 16 bit era (reliably).  The Nintendo Wii can literally play more games than I would have time to play for the rest of my life.  The MAME emulator is not the best but most of my favorite titles are certainly playable.  I can't think of any other console that could give me more.  On top of that I can play DVD's and stream youtube, netflix etc.

There you have it.  If I were to die only playing one console for the rest of my life, it would be the Nintendo Wii (running Wiimednafen to obey).
I bet you play Ninjabread Man....... AND LIKE IT!!!

johnnykonami

I can honestly say a TurboDuo or equivalent.  Especially if I can use a converter to play PCE Hu's.  I like new games, I like Steam, but.. I can't keep up with all the new games.. I have such a gigantic backlog now, the idea of a finite library is appealing.  And the Turbo has always been my favorite system.

SignOfZeta

PlayStation 5! That thing is going to be awesome!

But seriously, probably PCE. Neo is really high on my list, but the PCE has like seven times as many games and I'll need that variety when I'm 138. I've been mad busy with shit lately and finally had time last night to pull out some PCE stuff for the first time in like six fucking MONTHS! It was so great. I just started pulling shit off the shelf I thought I'd like to play and soon had a stack so tall I could barely carry it. I jammed on Kabuki Ittoryouden, Star Solider, SFII', Kanatakadaka!, and others. The PCE is just the best.
IMG

crazydean

Your Wii idea is kind of cheating the question. It's like asking, "if you can only have one car, what would it be?" "Oh, I would buy a Bugatti...then sell it and buy a house and a reasonable car." I mean, it's technically an answer, but it seems to evade the question. You want a Wii because it has every console on it, basically.

Personally, I think any of the three big 16-bit consoles would be great options. There's a lot of variety to be had with each one. Anything from generation 2 would get old pretty fast since there wasn't much variety. Generation 3 had some great games, but for every good game, there was like 20 shitty ones.

johnnykonami

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/13/2015, 10:18 PMPlayStation 5! That thing is going to be awesome!

But seriously, probably PCE. Neo is really high on my list, but the PCE has like seven times as many games and I'll need that variety when I'm 138. I've been mad busy with shit lately and finally had time last night to pull out some PCE stuff for the first time in like six fucking MONTHS! It was so great. I just started pulling shit off the shelf I thought I'd like to play and soon had a stack so tall I could barely carry it. I jammed on Kabuki Ittoryouden, Star Solider, SFII', Kanatakadaka!, and others. The PCE is just the best.
You'd have to really like fighters to go with the 100 MEGA SHOCK.  There are a ton of amazing ones, but there's such little variety otherwise.  I think variety is definitely the key.  I go with PCE also, but I think the NES, Genesis, Saturn, PSX and PS2 would all be great choices too.

I also think a modded Wii is a bit of a cheat, PC/Steam doesn't count as a "console," and of course no kind of arcade game or something running mame or other emulators.  You'd have to pick a console with Namco's Greatest Hits and other compilations on it to get your fix.  In that regard the PS2 is a great choice, I think.

CrackTiger

Why not just get a computer that will emulate Wii Z, Xbox 69 and PS9?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

o.pwuaioc

With no PC and no emulation, I'd just get rid of it all and live a meaningful life.

vmorr

wildfruit

Dreamcast. I like the boot screen. I like the VMU no battery beep. Good variety of genres and can just live life virtually through Shenmue 1 & 2.

Bloufo

If we're going to cheat the question, as the OP has done, then I'd maybe go for the LA.
I'd have the PAC's for all the Genesis/MD/Turbo/PC Engine gaming one could ever want.

grolt

If we're not talking about emulating or anything, I think I'd pick the Saturn.  It has the best of both worlds - fast, lush 2D games and inventive polygonal games.  My memory is of course tinged with nostalgia, that being the first system I legitimately saved for and bought during launch, but I still love the games and come back to them often.  NiGHTS is like a living virtual world that I always like to escape into, and games like DARK SAVIOR, ASTAL, SHINING THE HOLY ARK, VIRTUA COP, MR. BONES, the PANZER DRAGOON franchise and even SONIC R I still all really enjoy today.  Give me a NES, SMS, TG-16, PSX, DC or a GENNY and you'll hear no complaints from me either.
I'm a notorious strange man.

NecroPhile

OBEY or GTFO!  Specifically I'd go with the LA.

If I'm gonna cheat with emulation, I'd go with a vastly more powerful PC over a POS Wii.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PukeSter

Hard to pick. I play PCE the most, but the snes has a couple games like Mario World, Super Metroid, and Donkey Kong Country that are irreplaceable.

Though PCE does have incredible platformers like Bonk's Revenge, Ninja Gaiden, Rondo of Blood, New Adventure Island, and Tonma, these aren't 5-10 hour long games I can really sink into.

Super Metroid's only real comparable game on the same quality level is Wonder Boy III, and even then that's not as massive. And Eternal City is kinda strange.

MNKyDeth

I spend most of my time on older consoles playing RPG's. If all the Jrpg's on the NEC platform were translated I would go more toward the NEC Duo route.

But... Since I know there are more RPG's translated on the Genesis/SegaCD that would be far and above my #1 choice for console to be stuck with for the rest of my life.
A 4 player adapter for Chaos Generals.... The RPG's on cart and CD and some of the shooters will and have kept me busy for years already.

If I had all those jrpg's on the TG16/CD in english it would most likely be my #1.

DeshDildo

PC for emulation would be completely cheating since the question was what CONSOLE.  If you don't want me to cheat It's a really tough draw for me between NES, PCE and Genesis. 

When it comes down to it I guess I would probably choose Genesis.  If I could read Japanese I would probably pick PCE.  NES is awesome but PCE/ Genny can put out some good tunes while I play.  Speaking of which, I'll keep my CDX or Xeye so I can play Sega CD and and music CD's.

P.S. I wouldn't consider LA cheating and it would be a kick ass option.  I didn't think of it because the likely hood of me ever owning one is very low.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

BlueBMW

I'd pick my old DOS PC.  Enough good old games there to keep me satisfied for the rest of my life.  I could be happy with Civilization and Master of Orion for a long time.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

EmperorIng

I think I'd probably do a Playstation 2. Unless it's not allowed to have access to the PS1 library along with it.

It's hard to stand up to combined PS1/PS2 library.

Dicer

If the Wii is "cheating" then I would Obey, all the way...

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DeshDildo

Quote from: Dicer on 10/14/2015, 07:09 PMIf the Wii is "cheating" then I would Obey, all the way...
I guess it's cheating if you use a console in any other way than the manufacturer intended.  I wonder if the Wii Shop channel is still considered cheating?

Dicer

Quote from: Desh on 10/14/2015, 08:31 PM
Quote from: Dicer on 10/14/2015, 07:09 PMIf the Wii is "cheating" then I would Obey, all the way...
I guess it's cheating if you use a console in any other way than the manufacturer intended.  I wonder if the Wii Shop channel is still considered cheating?
I'd say the shop is fair games as they are sold to be played on the system...

If you are gonna just turn the console into a emulation station, then yeah Wii or OG Xbox would be great choices.

slinkyturd

PS2. Without even going to PS1's library, I'd still take it. Without mods, I'd still take it. 2000 game library with several good games in each genre to play and enjoy. The library is so good and so filled with quality that even after looking into every game this system has to offer, I don't think I'll ever have an opportunity to actually play through all the ones I'd want to. I have access to some excellent 4 player games through the multi-tap as well as some of the best light gun games ever made so some good peripheral hardware exists. I'd also have the option of going with an HD TV or a standard def TV by swapping a cable instead of doing some soldering. If I did want to mod the thing out, it's a soft mod and tasty emulator with the HDD or flash drives. Short of the laser crapping out too soon, I really can't think of a negative to selecting a PS2
70/95 US Turbochips

blueraven

I'd probably go with a Laseractive, that cover's everything.

Or an old DOS PC, maybe. from the 1980's.

nectarsis

Without cheating by including emulators one dedicated system I would definitely go PCE followed by a tie between Neo Geo and the PSP
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

blueraven

Bloufo

If we're thinking along the lines of a PS2, then might as well rather get the original phat PS3.

K-2

NecroPhile

A psp would be my second choice, as it's got lots of OBEY related goodies - Bomberman, Dracula X, four Ys games, five Legend of Heroes games, Brandish, Dungeon Explorer, and the three PC Engine Collection discs.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Digi.k

It's gotta be the pc engine.  Thanks to online auction sites and here I've never had this many games before for the system.  I was uptil now very content with just the hucards but the CD system just opens up a whole new level of awesomeness again with CD games having much more meat on their bones.

Can't decide on what the next system would be.. might be xbox 360 just for the games and awesome marketplace.

I would never pick a pc anymore.. I find they don't make the parts like they used to as I am always having some problem nowadays with drivers, graphics card, mobo or hard drive issues and keep losing data.  Makes it feel more unreliable than the early xbox 360s that kept red ringin'

blueraven

Quote from: Digi.k on 01/08/2016, 10:03 PMIt's gotta be the pc engine.
I'm seeing this thread again, and I just... agree.  :mrgreen:

Otaking

My opinion it's cheating if you pick a console because it includes emulation or compatibility to play games of another console from a previous generation.

So with that in mind my first choice is the Super Famicom/SNES. The game library for that system is just insanely good.

My second choice would be PC Engine and my third Neo Geo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

esteban

Quote from: Otaking on 01/09/2016, 09:44 AMSo with that in mind my first choice is the Famicom/NES. The game library for that system is just insanely good.
Fixed that for you.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bernie

Going with the Super Nintendo here...

Sent from my iPhone using your mama

Gentlegamer

Tough call, but I think NES would have me covered.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Galder

Rest of my life?! Tough...

If retro computers are allowed then : Amiga.

If not then: ps1.