@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Besides neutopia any other Zelda clones?

Started by stinkoman, 11/02/2015, 11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkoman

Like the title suggests, are there any others besides them? I googled the crap out of and it seems to be a no, but that doesn't mean there isn't any.

I also haven't played Neutopia. Was looking into getting the japanese version. Are the games heavy dependent on knowing japanese ?

tbone3969

Quote from: stinkoman on 11/02/2015, 11:09 AMLike the title suggests, are there any others besides them? I googled the crap out of and it seems to be a no, but that doesn't mean there isn't any.

I also haven't played Neutopia. Was looking into getting the japanese version. Are the games heavy dependent on knowing japanese ?
Crusader of Centy on Genesis
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

NecroPhile

The Neutopia pair are pretty straight forward, so you shouldn't have many problems with the language barrier.  Besides those two, I can't think of any titles all that Zelda-y; Fray and Magicoal share some aspects, but they're definitely not clones.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: stinkoman on 11/02/2015, 11:09 AMLike the title suggests, are there any others besides them? I googled the crap out of and it seems to be a no, but that doesn't mean there isn't any.
While not quite as similar to Zelda as Neutopia.
Ys I and II and Ys IV, Makai Hakkenden Shada, Astralius
--DragonmasterDan

Vimtoman

You could squeeze Dungeon Explorer in there.
It's sort of gauntlet and Zelda mixed.

CrackTiger

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/02/2015, 12:11 PM

While not quite as similar to Zelda as Neutopia.
Ys I and II and Ys IV, Makai Hakkenden Shada, Astralius
Zelda was "inspired" by Hydlide, so Yses, Xaks, Shada, plus the LoX games are appropriate.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gredler

While more action and platforming than RPG, the combat feels so similar to me I would vote valkyrie no densetsu into this mix as well.

BigusSchmuck

Brandish, though I hardly call that a Zelda clone.. Well maybe Zelda with some more RPG elements..

PukeSter

War of the Dead is very similar to Zelda II, but I never played more than 2 seconds of it. Very high difficulty and language barrier, with some glitches.

Blood Gear is also pretty similar to Zelda II, but a lot better. So is Wonder Boy III (Dragon's Curse)

Honestly, I enjoyed Neutopia II a lot more than Neutopia. Not as innovative as LTTP, but it is more "fun" and overall less tedious in my opinion.

schweaty

Quote from: guest on 11/02/2015, 07:32 PMHonestly, I enjoyed Neutopia II a lot more than Neutopia. Not as innovative as LTTP, but it is more "fun" and overall less tedious in my opinion.
i agree, however, Neutopia II came out 2 months before LttP (27 Sept 91 vs 21 Nov 91).  it mostly built on Neutopia I which had come out almost 2 years earlier.  IMO Comparisons always need to be framed within the context of what was going on at the time it came out.  For what it was in sept of 91, i think Neutopia II is a great game.  LttP was a game changer.  who knows what Neutopia III would have looked like if it had come out in 199X (still waiting...)

wilykat

Golden Axe Warriors is very similar to Zelda it could be considered ripoff of gameplay.  However GAW has 16x16 screen overworld (twice the size of Zelda), 10 dungeons to go through, and all.

The game has very little to do with Golden Axe series, it was as if Sega grabbed a random Zelda-esque game and slapped Golden Axe title to it to sell the game.

Fun game to play.

o.pwuaioc

But Golden Axe Warriors is not a PC Engine or SuperGrafx game...

tbone3969

Quote from: wilykat on 11/03/2015, 02:25 AMGolden Axe Warriors is very similar to Zelda it could be considered ripoff of gameplay.  However GAW has 16x16 screen overworld (twice the size of Zelda), 10 dungeons to go through, and all.

The game has very little to do with Golden Axe series, it was as if Sega grabbed a random Zelda-esque game and slapped Golden Axe title to it to sell the game.

Fun game to play.
That game sounds cool.  What system is it for?
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

grolt

Quote from: tbone3969 on 11/03/2015, 08:33 AM
Quote from: wilykat on 11/03/2015, 02:25 AMGolden Axe Warriors is very similar to Zelda it could be considered ripoff of gameplay.  However GAW has 16x16 screen overworld (twice the size of Zelda), 10 dungeons to go through, and all.

Fun game to play.
That game sounds cool.  What system is it for?
SEGA Master System. It's not cheap but Golden Axe Warrior really is a fantastic game - plenty to do, fast and responsive gameplay and enough variety with weapons, dungeons and side quests that it never feels tedious. Of all the Zelda-ish games I've played it has been my favorite along with Ys I. Golvellius on the Master System is also a must-play Zelda-ish game as well if you go that route.
I'm a notorious strange man.

stinkoman

I had owned Golden Axe and it is indeed awesome. For me I found it kinda hard.

Master system is a fun little system that gets overlooked. I think it had a lot of good looking games, lots of great games that can be had for cheap and a decent homebrew scene. I believe in brazil they still sell Sega Master systems in stores and I know they have huge list of import exclusives.

tbone3969

Quote from: stinkoman on 11/03/2015, 10:25 AMI had owned Golden Axe and it is indeed awesome. For me I found it kinda hard.

Master system is a fun little system that gets overlooked. I think it had a lot of good looking games, lots of great games that can be had for cheap and a decent homebrew scene. I believe in brazil they still sell Sega Master systems in stores and I know they have huge list of import exclusives.
I might take the plunge into the Sega Master System soon.  It's one of the only retro systems I don't have.  I might start with the Game Gear adapter to play them.  I wonder if there is a Master System Everdrive out there?

stinkoman

Quote from: tbone3969 on 11/03/2015, 10:29 AM
Quote from: stinkoman on 11/03/2015, 10:25 AMI had owned Golden Axe and it is indeed awesome. For me I found it kinda hard.

I might take the plunge into the Sega Master System soon.  It's one of the only retro systems I don't have.  I might start with the Game Gear adapter to play them.  I wonder if there is a Master System Everdrive out there?
I do believe there is one. I think really the systems biggest flaw is all the box art is terrible and eye sore.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: stinkoman on 11/03/2015, 10:39 AMI do believe there is one. I think really the systems biggest flaw is all the box art is terrible and eye sore.
Pause button being on the system?
The library mostly consisting of arcade ports?
Very limited Japanese third party support?

The SMS has much greater problems than the box art
--DragonmasterDan

stinkoman

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/03/2015, 11:44 AM
Quote from: stinkoman on 11/03/2015, 10:39 AMI do believe there is one. I think really the systems biggest flaw is all the box art is terrible and eye sore.
Pause button being on the system?
The library mostly consisting of arcade ports?
Very limited Japanese third party support?

The SMS has much greater problems than the box art
I guess your write and make good points about those.The pause button never bothered me. The mostly arcade ports also don't bother me. But I didn't buy any of the games when it was new nor played the arcade ports so my view is from a much later stand point,but could see how that could turn somebody off if they wanted something new when It came out.

The 3rd party support thing with nintendo really did hurt them.

EmperorIng

Isn't there already a SMS thread to discuss the system? Why clog things up?

Xak I&II are modeled off of Ys I&II, but there is overworld exploration, dungeon crawling, and whatnot. Xak III is more overtly Zelda-like, thanks to its attack-button (versus the previous games' hold-n-bump system a la Ys). There's a fan translation worth seeking out.

Similarly, Efera and Jiliora is a decent, but not extraordinary game in the top-down RPG mold. Like Xak, it's more modeled on Ys (RPG elements like buying armor, levels/stats), but it can be fun if you sort of know what you are doing (look up my thread on the game for a few hints/explanations). There's a reason the game is fairly cheap though, because its quality can be a little suspect. Same with Xak I&II, but those games are so fast-paced and generally a good-enough time that it doesn't stick in your craw as much.

Tower of Druaga is one of the earliest top-down adventure games along with Hydlide, except in arcade format. it too inspired Zelda. The PCE luckily got the best version of the game, an update/remake with more treasures, more accessible game design, and better graphics. Unless you play a translated romhack though, these improvements will be meaningless.

It's an arcade-styled title, not a sprawling adventure - you are limited to figuring out 60 top-down mazes and finding treasures (you get a hint each floor on how to do this). The game is fantastic though; I highly recommend booting it up via Turbo-ED or Ootake or something.

If you want to venture further you can try its sequel, Return of Ishtar; I have a hard time figuring out the game though.

SignOfZeta

The answer is no. There are no other Zelda clones on NEC systems. I don't know why people feel compelled to suggest games that are only seem similar if you are you are a 90 year old grandma. They must not understand Zelda very well.

This is a stretch, and it's not NEC, but I think the Thor games (MD/Saturn) are the best things that are close, but they really aren't that lose ether.

If you are comparing to Zelda II (which I'm sure you weren't) there are dozens games that are really similar, and usually even worse. Valis, Conan, and especially Ys III, but this comparison is more easily made because Zelda II is lame and doesn't have a "vibe" like most other Zelda games. A vibe Neutopia approximated better than anyone.
IMG