RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Thinking about selling my TG-16/CD combo...

Started by Nexus7, 02/24/2016, 04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nexus7

and putting the money towards one of the DUO systems.   Just wondering if you guys think that would be a good idea and if so what Duo system should I put the money towards? 

My issue with the TG-16 + Turbo CD I currently own is that once the lens goes out I'm screwed, but I believe there are replacement lenses for other PC-Engine/Turbografx CD hardware variants.

Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

PukeSter

Most people usually recommend the PC Engine Duo-R.

That's all I got to say really. Maybe others can chime in?

NecroPhile

If it were me, I'd save my pennies and cross the dead laser bridge when I got to it.  The laser in your TG-CD might last for a decade or more, and who knows what repair options will open up in the mean time.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

geise

So this is an actual US combo?  Do you have a system 3.0 card?  If you want it to upgrade to SCD games it can be worth it, but I'd do what NecroPhile said and save your pennies.  If you want to upgrade and play SCD and ACD games I'd go with a Duo-R like lukester mentioned.

blueraven

The lasers are relatively easy to replace, and I have seen them for as low as $20-$40 shipped if you want a CN or US seller.

ginoscope

Quote from: blueraven on 02/24/2016, 06:34 PMThe lasers are relatively easy to replace, and I have seen them for as low as $20-$40 shipped if you want a CN or US seller.
Really I just changed the laser in my tg16 CD and wouldn't mind a spare.
I couldn't find any new ones for sale. I got mine out of a discman.

Nexus7

Quote from: geise on 02/24/2016, 06:28 PMSo this is an actual US combo?  Do you have a system 3.0 card?  If you want it to upgrade to SCD games it can be worth it, but I'd do what NecroPhile said and save your pennies.  If you want to upgrade and play SCD and ACD games I'd go with a Duo-R like lukester mentioned.
I recently bought a Japanese Super System Card 3.0 card for future use when I get around to purchasing a PC-Henshin.

csgx1

You could locate a working Sony Discman for a spare laser.  I've found a few at my local thrift stores before. This thread lists most of the Sony Discman models with compatible lasers. 

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5027

780racer

I would tell you to just game with what you have, and don't look back. Save the money and worry about the system breaking when it does, rather than IF.

Besides the 16 with the attachments looks pretty awesome.

martinine

Any Duo that's recapped will be fine. I love my RX, but it really boils down to which model you think looks the best. The R and RX aren't in DIRE need of recapping like the original Duos though, for what it's worth.

Also, I sometimes regret not sticking with original TGCD. I think it looks so awesome.

Happy hunting.
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

blueraven

Quote from: ginoscope on 02/24/2016, 07:03 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 02/24/2016, 06:34 PMThe lasers are relatively easy to replace, and I have seen them for as low as $20-$40 shipped if you want a CN or US seller.
Really I just changed the laser in my tg16 CD and wouldn't mind a spare.
I couldn't find any new ones for sale. I got mine out of a discman.
If I remember correctly, the KSS128A?? was replaced by the KSS220A. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. There was a thread about this 6 or so years back where we found a replacement number laser for the original that was readily available. I would do a search here on PCEFX for "KSS Laser" or "CDROM2 Laser". I would do it but I'm working on a deadline right now. I'll get into my archived files and try and dig up the number over the weekend if you y'all don't figure it out.

Flare65

Quote from: 780racer on 02/24/2016, 10:50 PMI would tell you to just game with what you have, and don't look back. Save the money and worry about the system breaking when it does, rather than IF.

Besides the 16 with the attachments looks pretty awesome.
Totally agree with this.

Keith Courage

The compatible numbers are kss-162a, kss-220a, and kss-225a. All are very difficult to find now. However many old sony discmans have kss-162 and kss-220.

Models numbers for these discmans are

D-2
D-4
D-11
D-12
D-33
D-34

There may be a few more models but can't remember for sure.

ginoscope

Quote from: Keith Courage on 02/26/2016, 03:12 AMThe compatible numbers are kss-162a, kss-220a, and kss-225a. All are very difficult to find now. However many old sony discmans have kss-162 and kss-220.

Models numbers for these discmans are

D-2
D-4
D-11
D-12
D-33
D-34

There may be a few more models but can't remember for sure.
I got my kss-220a out of a discman D-11 and it's been working great since.

martinine

I just did some eBay checking. Lots of Discmen on there. A couple almost new, etc.

Here is a pretty nice D11 for next to nothing.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/151994636369

Now you don't have to sell your TGCD!!!
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

ginoscope

Quote from: martinine on 02/27/2016, 11:31 PMI just did some eBay checking. Lots of Discmen on there. A couple almost new, etc.

Here is a pretty nice D11 for next to nothing.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/151994636369

Now you don't have to sell your TGCD!!!
Agreed get a D-11 and keep the TG16 cd.  That is what I did and my TG16 reads all originals and cd-r I have thrown at it.