My Turbo Duo has fallen victim to the No Sound Issue.

Started by Magister, 11/27/2016, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magister

I've had my Turbo Duo since it came out and finally after all these years the sound has went out on it.  I had a guy look at it that worked on game systems but didn't have the knowledge to fix it properly.  So it was put away.  Now I've had an itching to play some Lords of Thunder and need to finally get this system fixed.  I'm sure someone here has the knowledge to fix this issue.  Anyone?
This Space For Rent.

Keith Courage

Your system needs a complete system capacitor change. I do this as well as The Steve, MNKyDeth, etc..

Magister

Just sent you a message regarding getting this fixed since you were the first to send me a message.
This Space For Rent.

BlueBMW

Keith Courage is good peeps.  A full recap will get you back playing again!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Green

MNKydeth recapped and modded my Duo and did a phenomenal job.

shaggy

I felt this was similar enough to my issue that it wasn't worth creating a new thread.  I have a Turbo Duo that plays fine and sound fine but after playing awhile I get a buzzing sound and than eventually the sound goes out.  Sometimes taking the AV cable out of the system and putting it back in fixes it, sometimes not.  If it doesn't, it "fixes" itself when I play it the next day (sound is working fine with no buzzing).  After playing awhile again the same issue with the sound, first the buzzing and than no sound.  I'm assuming it's the caps like I have been reading but wanted to get an opinions from the forum in case, by any chance, it is not.  Thanks.

Keith Courage

Most  likely it's the caps but odd that it changed when you unplugged and re plugged in your Av cable. Maybe the AV jack needs to be cleaned(put some rubbing alcohol on the Av cable then insert a few times). Also, it could be a short in your Av cable. If yours is original then good chance it could be going bad.

however, if your audio is working fine at one moment and then stops without bumping your AV cable then most likely capacitors are the problem.

shaggy

Quote from: Keith Courage on 04/08/2017, 01:15 AMMost  likely it's the caps but odd that it changed when you unplugged and re plugged in your Av cable. Maybe the AV jack needs to be cleaned(put some rubbing alcohol on the Av cable then insert a few times). Also, it could be a short in your Av cable. If yours is original then good chance it could be going bad.

however, if your audio is working fine at one moment and then stops without bumping your AV cable then most likely capacitors are the problem.
If I unplug the AV or wiggle than the audio sometimes comes back but this only fixes it about 5% of the time.  Last night I played Neutopia for two and half hours and had no issues.  It must have been my lucky day...  I bought the Duo from the original owner over 10 years ago so I assume it is the original cord.  I do have a Turbo Grafx-16 also.  If that cable fit in a Turbo Duo I will give that a shot and see what happens.

SignOfZeta

You clearly have a cable issue or possible an issue with the jack. There are a lot of shitty cables around. I got a particularly shitty one from TZD once.
IMG

shaggy

Reseating the cable or wiggling the cable doesn't seem to fix it any more.  I looked at my Turbo Grafx cable and it is different so I guess I'll go to Ebay for a cable to see if that is the problem. :(  Do any of you guys know of a website other than Ebay to buy this from?  Thanks.

Keith Courage

I have a good quality cable I can sell you for $10 shipped. Just send me a PM if you want one. Don't buy on ebay. Most of the AV cables made on there don't have the ground wired correctly in which case the video ends up looking slightly blurred.

mickcris

you could also have a cracked solder joint on the din jack.  it happens more often on Duo-R consoles though.

shaggy

Quote from: Keith Courage on 04/12/2017, 12:41 AMI have a good quality cable I can sell you for $10 shipped. Just send me a PM if you want one. Don't buy on ebay. Most of the AV cables made on there don't have the ground wired correctly in which case the video ends up looking slightly blurred.
I'll try your advice about putting alcohol on he pins and inserting in and out.  if that doesn't fix it, I'll pop it open and look at the board.  Nothing out of the ordinary there I'll hit you up for a cable.  Thanks guys for all your help.

shaggy

Quote from: shaggy on 04/15/2017, 09:00 PM
Quote from: Keith Courage on 04/12/2017, 12:41 AMI have a good quality cable I can sell you for $10 shipped. Just send me a PM if you want one. Don't buy on ebay. Most of the AV cables made on there don't have the ground wired correctly in which case the video ends up looking slightly blurred.
I'll try your advice about putting alcohol on he pins and inserting in and out.  if that doesn't fix it, I'll pop it open and look at the board.  Nothing out of the ordinary there I'll hit you up for a cable.  Thanks guys for all your help.
Well, alcohol didn't do the trick.  I guess I'll crack it open and take a look.

shaggy

Turbo Duo is now good as new.  Kith Courage recapped it for me and I have had no issues so far.  Thanks a lot!