OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

My Modded PC Engine is no longer powering on.

Started by iVirtualZero, 07/14/2024, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iVirtualZero

Hi modded my PC Engine, I switched over the PCB with multiple mods like the RGB Video mod replacement fpc ribbon, recap and the 78SR Voltage Regulator. I then put it back into it's new Retro Game Restore shell and then saw a pop in a fuse, I replaced fuse, went over my solder work, there were no bridges and the caps were installed correctly and the i tested again and the fuse blew again. I then noticed that I installed the faded out diode in reverse. I corrected the Diode and along with a new fuse, but now it no longer powers on. The fuse is still good and the same diode is now installed correctly. But it doesn't power on at all. Did something else fail in this console?

1000108896.webp
1000108901.webp
1000108915.webp
1000108919.webp
1000108908.webp

Tak-MK

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I need to ask a thing that I've never understood...
Why modding the PCE if you can take RGB out from the back connector?
Wait a second... that's not even an original PCE board... why that switch from one to another, AND then modding it up?

JoeQuaker

That is not an actual PC Engine lol

NightWolve

Quote from: JoeQuaker on 07/15/2024, 01:01 AMThat is not an actual PC Engine lol
Oh wow, I think he bought a recent fan PCE motherboard and soldered on the chips from a donor PC Engine. That's probably what's going on, I remember seeing them on sale on Twitter some months ago. Way beyond the scope of most of us I'd say but good luck!

Found it! They're called motherboard reproductions. I suppose the theory is they'll last a lot longer if you can successfully salvage the main donor chips from an original console... Real risky if you ask me but interesting idea.

willsconsolemodifications.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=129

iVirtualZero

Quote from: Tak-MK on 07/14/2024, 08:35 PMSorry for hijacking this thread but I need to ask a thing that I've never understood...
Why modding the PCE if you can take RGB out from the back connector?
Wait a second... that's not even an original PCE board... why that switch from one to another, AND then modding it up?

Because i prefer the colour Red and like to have RGB out internally. I love the design of the PCE, I'm allergic to Composite video as well. Also I'm little crazy. I try to install as many mods into my systems as possible and with this PC Engine, the excess amount of old dried flux on this board made me want to switch to a new board.

iVirtualZero

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/15/2024, 03:30 AM
Quote from: JoeQuaker on 07/15/2024, 01:01 AMThat is not an actual PC Engine lol
Oh wow, I think he bought a recent fan PCE motherboard and soldered on the chips from a donor PC Engine. That's probably what's going on, I remember seeing them on sale on Twitter some months ago. Way beyond the scope of most of us I'd say but good luck!

Found it! They're called motherboard reproductions. I suppose the theory is they'll last a lot longer if you can successfully salvage the main donor chips from an original console... Real risky if you ask me but interesting idea.

willsconsolemodifications.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=129

Oh no I was going to say that this was a lost pre release of the PC Engine, but now I have been exposed. I used the files from that post and sent it to PCB Way, paid the cost and they sent over 5 PCB's. I only wanted one but I guess it's time to build more of these. It's quite simple to transfer the parts over involves a chisel tip, Rework Station, Desoldering Gun lots of flux and some drag soldering techniques along with some new parts like the 7805, the old caps. The legs on those IC's aren't small. But i still don't recommend it for the inexperienced person.

I've had over decade of soldering experience and started small practicing on broken DVD Players, to modding the Gameboy, PS2 to now rather crazy mods like this. I really want that guy's upcoming Sega Neptune Motherboard to turn the ugly 32X add on into a Neptune. I would love to build a Sega Neptune console someday. But until then I want to get this PCE working and I would like to know what the value of that diode is, D102 as I would prefer to replace it with a new Diode instead of reusing the old one. It would also be nice to know what FL109 is, it's some type of power inductor, replacing that with a modern equivalent would be preferred, they're built pretty weak, the legs in these break off without much effort.

Tak-MK

Quote from: iVirtualZero on 07/15/2024, 03:11 PMBecause i prefer the colour Red and like to have RGB out internally. I love the design of the PCE, I'm allergic to Composite video as well. Also I'm little crazy. I try to install as many mods into my systems as possible and with this PC Engine, the excess amount of old dried flux on this board made me want to switch to a new board.
Definitely too many wrong things to even continue to hijack the thread...
I'm sorry but I can't/won't help with that "repair".

NightWolve

Quote from: iVirtualZero on 07/15/2024, 03:22 PMI've had over decade of soldering experience and started small practicing on broken DVD Players, to modding the Gameboy, PS2 to now rather crazy mods like this. I really want that guy's upcoming Sega Neptune Motherboard to turn the ugly 32X add on into a Neptune. I would love to build a Sega Neptune console someday. But until then I want to get this PCE working and I would like to know what the value of that diode is, D102 as I would prefer to replace it with a new Diode instead of reusing the old one. It would also be nice to know what FL109 is, it's some type of power inductor, replacing that with a modern equivalent would be preferred, they're built pretty weak, the legs in these break off without much effort.
Yeah, definitely pretty cool idea to keep the systems alive. If an OG PC Engine died from too much decay due to time and/or leaked capacitance fluid but the main chips are still good, then donating them off to a freshly-made "repro" motherboard is a great idea if you got the soldering skills!

I never did buy and learn how to use a hot air gun to solder a chip off. I wanted to so I could replace a suspected bad SRAM chip in my SNES, but just never bothered after I got an Analogue NT SNES clone. Still, it'd be a useful skill to have sometime but overall my preference is to move on to FPGA clones like the Analogue Turbo Duo, another one I own despite its incomplete state (they launched it too early, the firmware needed more time in the oven).