@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Best Nintenclone?

Started by guyjin, 12/29/2006, 04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyjin

I haven't had a working NES for some time, and I'm thinking of picking up a new one.

However, my chances of picking up an original that doesn't have blink problems is low, and I don't want to pay what is being charged for the top loader. (and it's RF only besides.)

So, What do you think is the best NES clone out there?

A few I've seen:

http://www.estarland.com/NintendoNES.cat.HW.product.22535.html
Pros: cheap, uses original NES controllers, AV out
Cons: doesn't accept Famicom carts without adapter, no RF out (like to have the option availiable)

http://www.estarland.com/NintendoSuper.cat.HW.product.28392.html
Pros: Plays SNES games too (one less set of cords to deal with, should put up my ugly yellowing SNES), AV out
Cons: can't use NES controllers, doesn't accept famicom carts, no RF option

http://www.buymessiah.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=47&osCsid=1c509661d9e2f76b8f5cbbdd4c5c0bb7
Pros: plays FC and NES games, original NES controllers, AV
Cons: most expensive of the 3, no RF option

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

PCEngineHell

Well,so that its made clear the Yobo clone and the Gen Nex decks have audio bugs on some games,other games dont work at all like Castlevania 3 and others that use special chips. The FC Twin I havent tried yet,but if possible if you have  a local game store with one on display take your fav games there and test them on it.

rolins

IMO don't buy any of the nesclones, there crappy. It's best to use an original Nes, and if it's got blinking/no boot problems then replace the 72pin connector. Replacing the connector requires no soldering and there dirt cheap.

termis

Agree with Rolins.  If you're gonna buy a clone, I say just stick to some emulation on a computer/xbox/dc, etc, just solely because the clones themselves don't work with 100% of the games.

There is a mod to install a/v output for the NES 2 decks, if you find that you must have it.
http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/nes2avmod.htm
IMG

cavein2000

I'm holding tight with my SNES hooked up with the Tristar Super 8 for all NES/SNES/FC/SFC needs!  I picked up a soldering iron and am eventually going to perform the mod in this FAQ to eliminate the white line problem. 

http://home.freeuk.net/markk/Consoles/Tri-Star_FAQ.txt
What a horrible night to have a curse...

GUTS

The FC Twin is pretty good, I have one and haven't noticed any compatibility problems yet (although I'm sure it has some).  The quality on the FC Twin is leagues above the yobo, it actually feels like a real second model SNES and the controllers are about 100 times better (and you can use real SNES controllers and accessories too if you want).

guyjin

Quote from: rolins on 12/29/2006, 12:50 PMIMO don't buy any of the nesclones, there crappy. It's best to use an original Nes, and if it's got blinking/no boot problems then replace the 72pin connector. Replacing the connector requires no soldering and there dirt cheap.
i actually have 2 nonworking NESes. The first one got fire extinguished; replacing the 72 pin slot didn't help.
the second one worked acceptably, but I tried to modify it (to play unlicenced games) and failed miserably; it always blinks now. so even if I wanted to afford a toploader, I'm wary of modifying it at all.

rolins

Quote from: cavein2000 on 12/29/2006, 03:02 PMI'm holding tight with my SNES hooked up with the Tristar Super 8 for all NES/SNES/FC/SFC needs!  I picked up a soldering iron and am eventually going to perform the mod in this FAQ to eliminate the white line problem. 

Cool, the Tri-Star.  :D How well does it handle Konami's VRC6 chip in Akumajou Densetsu?

Quote from: guyjin on 12/29/2006, 03:35 PM
Quote from: rolins on 12/29/2006, 12:50 PMIMO don't buy any of the nesclones, there crappy. It's best to use an original Nes, and if it's got blinking/no boot problems then replace the 72pin connector. Replacing the connector requires no soldering and there dirt cheap.
i actually have 2 nonworking NESes. The first one got fire extinguished; replacing the 72 pin slot didn't help.
the second one worked acceptably, but I tried to modify it (to play unlicenced games) and failed miserably; it always blinks now. so even if I wanted to afford a toploader, I'm wary of modifying it at all.
Ouch, your Nes caught on fire?   :shock:

I don't see any point in modifying your Nes to play unlicensed games, except for maybe Tegen's Tetris. But almost all unlicensed games aren't worth playing, right?

guyjin

Quote from: rolins on 12/29/2006, 04:15 PMOuch, your Nes caught on fire?   :shock:
No, my older brother's just a jerk. He decided we had been playing too long, and so to make us leave, he got the fire extinguisher and used it on us. After the chaos was over, we returned to a blinking NES. we had never had that problem before; and it got much worse after that.

As for modding, yeah, it was stoopid, but it seemed easy enough at the time...

grahf

Not all famiclones are bad. Ive got one of them GameAxes, and it plays everything i try. Works flawless with Akumajou Densetsu (castlevania 3). I hear the Famicom Disk system works with it as well. Im sure it wont work with everything, but it has done well with anything ive tried.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: grahf on 12/29/2006, 05:07 PMNot all famiclones are bad. Ive got one of them GameAxes, and it plays everything i try. Works flawless with Akumajou Densetsu (castlevania 3). I hear the Famicom Disk system works with it as well. Im sure it wont work with everything, but it has done well with anything ive tried.
LOL,funny you mettion that. Back when I managed a GXC we had ordered like around 8-9 Game Axe Colors and 5 were   
DOA. I kept one for myself for like  a month then sold it. Really it wasnt bad at all,when it worked. Didnt it also use Genesis controllers?

Seldane

The Game Axe and other ancient NES clones are the only ones without "sound problems." All the recent clones have this "problem" since the feature has been excluded in the one-chip solution that they're always using.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

grahf

I think thats just the thing. Its not that they CANT make a 100% compatible famiclone, its just that its worth it to pirate companies. If you can produce a chipset that costs $1 and plays 85% of games, versus one that costs $5 and has 99% compatability, what are you going to do?

CrackTiger

Quote from: guyjin on 12/29/2006, 04:51 AMI haven't had a working NES for some time, and I'm thinking of picking up a new one.

However, my chances of picking up an original that doesn't have blink problems is low, and I don't want to pay what is being charged for the top loader. (and it's RF only besides.)

So, What do you think is the best NES clone out there?
If you aren't some kind of crazed uber collector, and if you were you wouldn't have made this post because you'd already own a modded Nintendo brand top loader NES and Famicom, then you should just buy the Generation NEX.

It'll play pretty much everything you'll ever try, it looks like a classic NES and is nice and compact and it's reliable, which is all you're really looking for anyways right?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Ninja Spirit

I drove and hour and a half to the Starland store today to pick up one of those Yobo Neo Famis, with my copies of Lagrange Point, Akumajou Densetsu and Madara. But I changed my mind when I saw I had to use a Famicom converter.

My main concern is that if they support those sound expansion chips that some Famicom games have.

TR0N

Famicom AV or Famicom Twin or nothing nuff said.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

CrackTiger

Quote from: Tron on 12/29/2006, 09:16 PMFamicom AV or Famicom Twin or nothing nuff said.
He said he was looking for a cheap way to play NES games.  :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

cavein2000

Quote from: rolins on 12/29/2006, 04:15 PM
Quote from: cavein2000 on 12/29/2006, 03:02 PMI'm holding tight with my SNES hooked up with the Tristar Super 8 for all NES/SNES/FC/SFC needs!  I picked up a soldering iron and am eventually going to perform the mod in this FAQ to eliminate the white line problem. 

Cool, the Tri-Star.  :D How well does it handle Konami's VRC6 chip in Akumajou Densetsu?

Haven't tried it yet.  I know it didn't work with the MessiahNEX I had a while back.  I'll give it a go and let you know.
What a horrible night to have a curse...

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 12/29/2006, 08:37 PMI drove and hour and a half to the Starland store today to pick up one of those Yobo Neo Famis, with my copies of Lagrange Point, Akumajou Densetsu and Madara. But I changed my mind when I saw I had to use a Famicom converter.

My main concern is that if they support those sound expansion chips that some Famicom games have.
Yobo has Famicom and Nes versions of their system. I dont like the things,they had probs with games as said above. If it cant run Castlevania 3 or Gradius 2 then what good is it:(

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 12/29/2006, 09:43 PM
Quote from: Tron on 12/29/2006, 09:16 PMFamicom AV or Famicom Twin or nothing nuff said.
He said he was looking for a cheap way to play NES games.  :wink:
That's why i mention those two systems.

I'd all most recomend the messiah nex still since it won't play some games.

It wouldn't be worth getting in the frist place.

I've herd to many horror stories all ready on the other, famiclones having the same problem.

Mess up with the graphics or no sound on some games or.... controller "ports going bad just ask (ninja spirit) about that.

Btw if he's looking to save money i say go with a Famicom AV not boxed of corse.

japangamestock.com sells them plus with the (60to72 adapater) it can play nes carts as well.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

nat

So is this "Yobo" the same thing as the "Neo Famicom"? (see following link)

Has anyone tried the Family Boy? Both appear here and I'm seriously considering the Family Boy:

http://www.gamesoftinc.com/NES.asp
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

nat

Hmm. After doing some more research, it seems like the Generation NEX is the way to go. I've learned that the Family Boy (sounds like the victim of rape in a third-world country, doesn't it?) can't use standard NES controllers. In all other respects, I'd probably go with the Family Boy but I read testimony somewhere that the Family Boy controllers are crap. They use some kind of 9 pin connector instead of the standard 7 pin NES connector. Does anybody know if there is a converter for this kind of thing? If so, I may still go with the Family Boy. Quite a bit cheaper, and apparently better quality graphic reproduction than the Yobo consoles. Better quality overall, it seems. Since I have a buttload of NES controllers, using some 3rd party garbage is ridiculous.

It's worth noting that in my search for a converter I stumbled across a PS2->PCE/Duo controller adapter. I had no idea such a device existed, though I have no clue why anybody would want to use a PS2 controller on a PCE.

Also, cart compatiblity is not really an issue for me since I still have a working NES console. Although it does suffer heavily from the "blinking" syndrome. (This can be remedied by pushing the cart to the left or right while seated in the console.) The clone would become my primary NES player with the NES as a secondary option for the few carts that didn't work on the clone, if I even own any.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Ninja Spirit

Ah for the newcomers, lemme recap my mishaps with a Famiclone.

I had a Hong Kong made Sachen QBoy, in which it had pins similar to the Atari and earlier Sega systems. After playing for awhile, the controls would reverse, then I would have to unplug and replug the controller, which causes the game to freeze up. That was one reason why I never got to finish Final Fantasy II when I made it to Pandemonium. When I had to play around with the port, it totally destroyed all the data! I couldn't use controller 2 because it DOESN'T have a select and start button.

Eventually, the pins in controller 1 became brittle and fell out. Unless some techie can custom swap the controller ports out of a doornail dead NES, my QBoy is useless. But as long as it runs games very well, I still believe there's some way to save it.

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 12/31/2006, 07:02 AMHmm. After doing some more research, it seems like the Generation NEX is the way to go. I've learned that the Family Boy (sounds like the victim of rape in a third-world country, doesn't it?) can't use standard NES controllers. In all other respects, I'd probably go with the Family Boy but I read testimony somewhere that the Family Boy controllers are crap. They use some kind of 9 pin connector instead of the standard 7 pin NES connector. Does anybody know if there is a converter for this kind of thing? If so, I may still go with the Family Boy. Quite a bit cheaper, and apparently better quality graphic reproduction than the Yobo consoles. Better quality overall, it seems. Since I have a buttload of NES controllers, using some 3rd party garbage is ridiculous.

It's worth noting that in my search for a converter I stumbled across a PS2->PCE/Duo controller adapter. I had no idea such a device existed, though I have no clue why anybody would want to use a PS2 controller on a PCE.

Also, cart compatiblity is not really an issue for me since I still have a working NES console. Although it does suffer heavily from the "blinking" syndrome. (This can be remedied by pushing the cart to the left or right while seated in the console.) The clone would become my primary NES player with the NES as a secondary option for the few carts that didn't work on the clone, if I even own any.
You also get to use some nice wireless pads with the NEX.

I don't know about you, but the only incapatible game of the few on this list that I might miss is Castlevania III.

http://www.playmessiah.com/products/nex/compatibilitylist.htm

Anyone know where there's a list or info on Famicom compatibility and or glitches in compatible NES games? Does anyone know first hand what happens when you play Konami FC games that have that music chip(hopefully you still get the 'regular' music)?

nat

Yup, already looked at that. And I concur. That's the only game I would possibly miss. And since I still have a semi-working NES, I could always play that game on the real deal.

I heard nobody has formulated a Famicom compatibility list yet.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 12/31/2006, 05:23 PMAh for the newcomers, lemme recap my mishaps with a Famiclone.

I had a Hong Kong made Sachen QBoy, in which it had pins similar to the Atari and earlier Sega systems. After playing for awhile, the controls would reverse, then I would have to unplug and replug the controller, which causes the game to freeze up. That was one reason why I never got to finish Final Fantasy II when I made it to Pandemonium. When I had to play around with the port, it totally destroyed all the data! I couldn't use controller 2 because it DOESN'T have a select and start button.

Eventually, the pins in controller 1 became brittle and fell out. Unless some techie can custom swap the controller ports out of a doornail dead NES, my QBoy is useless. But as long as it runs games very well, I still believe there's some way to save it.
Sounds like it didn't run games very well at all,and there isn't a point in saving it. The controller issues sounds like theres more going on then just brittle connectors,sounds like  a bad chip,electrical issue of some type.

Seldane

Keep in mind that Nintendo clones are crap. They will break eventually, even if you are handling it with care. Mine started smoking (by just being plugged in - I wasn't using it), and shortly thereafter the ac-adapter actually melted (and got stuck in the floor) (this could've been really dangerous).
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

nat

I don't know, that Generation NEX seems ilke a fairly quality product compared to the rest of them... I've heard good feedback from numerous sources about that one.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Seldane on 01/01/2007, 09:22 AMKeep in mind that Nintendo clones are crap. They will break eventually, even if you are handling it with care. Mine started smoking (by just being plugged in - I wasn't using it), and shortly thereafter the ac-adapter actually melted (and got stuck in the floor) (this could've been really dangerous).
I've seen most of the new popular ones for sale locally, but no matter how low priced some get, I couldn't bring myself to buy one over ordering the Generation NEX(which i put off for too long).

I've had various problems with various Nintenclones over the years and wouldn't feel confident playing a game for more than a few minutes on one, especially after hearing Ninja Spirit's story.

nat

Well, I placed my order for the NEX today. My significant other is paying for it as a birthday gift. I'll give a report on how it handles my small-ish NES library when it arrives.

VestCunt

I replaced the 72 pin connector in my original NES.  It was cheap, very easy and now plays every game I own with absolutely no problems.
However...it was hard to make my system feel the same way after screwing everything back together.  If I put the screws back in too tight, then the games kept popping up because they didn't 'lock' when I pushed them down.  If the screws were too loose, the lock didn't lineup and I couldn't push the game down.  After some time disassembling and reassembling my system I got everything to work but it now requires considerable effort to insert or remove cartridges because the deck is tighter somehow.  But it is still much, much easier than cleaning games, blowing in the system, and trying everyother trick in the book to prevent blinking.
Topic Adjourned.

PCEngineHell

To fix that problem you have to take the 72 pin connector and insert a cart ahead of time before installing it and bend it back and forth a tad to to flex the pins out a little more. They are a harder steel and hold your carts like theres no tomarrow otherwise.

CrackTiger

Quote from: VestCunt on 01/03/2007, 07:06 PMI replaced the 72 pin connector in my original NES.  It was cheap, very easy and now plays every game I own with absolutely no problems.
However...it was hard to make my system feel the same way after screwing everything back together.  If I put the screws back in too tight, then the games kept popping up because they didn't 'lock' when I pushed them down.  If the screws were too loose, the lock didn't lineup and I couldn't push the game down.  After some time disassembling and reassembling my system I got everything to work but it now requires considerable effort to insert or remove cartridges because the deck is tighter somehow.  But it is still much, much easier than cleaning games, blowing in the system, and trying everyother trick in the book to prevent blinking.
The same thing happened to me with an NES I took apart to test a Famicom cart I was selling using a strapless converter. The springing mechanism was never the same, no matter how I adjusted it. Of course, I'm no electronic repair technician or anything either and may well have left a few screws out,  :P

grahf

If you tighten the shielding down to much, i think it screws with the catch/release mechanism. At least i think thats what does it. Ive installed a few of those 72pin connectors in my day :D

nat

I got my NEX today. It arrived this afternoon. The thing was bought as a gift, and today is my birthday. Perfect timing.

So far, I've only had a chance to try out the original SMB. It plays perfectly. Video reproduction is perfect and faithful, right down to the sprite flicker. Colors are 100% accurate as far as I can see. Anyone who says otherwise needs to adjust the tint and color levels on their TV. Audio reproduction is almost as good. Music is dead-on. The sound effects are 98.9% true to the original sound. There are a FEW that somehow sound more tinny. But you have to REALLY want to hear the difference to hear it. For all intents and purposes, I'd say the audio overall is excellent.

Physically, the unit feels solid and well built. The first thing that hits you is how small it is. I've read bad things about the pack-in controllers. As a matter of fact, I like them better than the real NES controllers. I was expecting the worst, really. The NEX controllers are smaller and fit your hand better. The button position for SELECT and START is a little goofy, but so what? How often do you use those buttons? And are they really all that hard to find when you need them? I've got to get me some of those wireless controllers. This system has wireless support built-in! The AC "brick" adapter is the size of an ice cube. Why can't all systems have power adapters this size? The system comes with a very high-quality instruction booklet in the size and shape of a NES cartridge. High production value with 45 glossy pages and all. Color illustrations! Better than we got in our US Turbo game manuals. It also comes with a composite audio/video cable and an NES "game rarity" guide. Overall, the feel I get is very good about the production value of the package as a whole.

The system cost $60. I would have been more than happy spending that much on this unit. You get the ability to play both Famicom and NES titles as well as built-in wireless support and composite video-out and lose the hassle of having to play games (no pun intended) with the console.

IMO, any nay-sayers of the NEX are annoying Nintendo fanboys that badmouth anything not branded "Nintendo." Well, the truth is this is a great modern-day solution for your NES gaming needs. Short of find a "real" Nintendo top-loader, this is the next best thing. And in many ways, this IS the best thing. Can you play Famicom games on the top-loading NES without a converter? How about use wireless controllers without a receiver? Composite video-out? So I'll lose the ability to play "Castlevania III". Since I don't own the game, it's no big deal. If I ever DO own it, well, my toaster NES is still plugged in waiting for some of that love. In the meantime I'll be playing my NEX.

PCEngineHell

Well,you should prob play every title you have for 30 mins at least to check for issues.

nat

That's what I'm doing right now :)

rolins

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 01/03/2007, 08:21 PMTo fix that problem you have to take the 72 pin connector and insert a cart ahead of time before installing it and bend it back and forth a tad to to flex the pins out a little more. They are a harder steel and hold your carts like theres no tomarrow otherwise.
Agree to that. I also recommend not to use Game Genies. Those thing seem to have thicker board and breaks the pins even further apart, sometimes making games unable to make a solid connection. Although that was for the old 72pin connectors, it may not matter with these newer ones w/ the steel since they're stronger than the old 72pins.

nat

I played through most of my game collection extensively last night. I tried to give each game at least half an hour. I will finish with the rest of them today.

Just about everything I played works beautifully. The only issue I have is with the sound in "Kirby's Adventure". I'm not sure if this is one of the games that used a special sound chip or what. Effects are fine but the music is off. This is absolutely the one and only issue I came across in my trials.

The more games I played something else I noticed is that the colors seem much more vibrant than what the original NES produced. I don't know if this is simply a result of the composite video vs. the old RF or what. But things look MUCH better.

And let me tell you, being able to just plug in a cart and press POWER to play on the first try is like heaven on Earth.

PCEngineHell

Yea color and sharpness in general are much better on composite then RF signal. The original Nes had composite jacks,but I didn't use them probably till the late 90ies.

nat

In 20 years I don't think I've ever used anything but RF with the NES until now. I guess I've been living in the dark ages!

nat

So I've basically covered my entire collection. To be fair, my entire NES collection is a meager 22 games. And I don't currently own any Famicom titles to test out that functionality.

Other than the aforementioned Kirby issues, the console plays all my NES titles flawlessly. And they look better, too. I have a very good feeling about this console and while I don't have any experience with earlier "Nintenclones", I'd wager this is probably the best of the bunch. I just can't get over how good the production quality is on this. I really like the included controllers, but the cord is too short for my setup. :( It by no means approaches the shortness of the Turbo controller cords, but my couch is a good six or seven feet from the entertainment center. The original NES controllers, which you CAN use with the NEX, are just long enough to reach.

I'd recommend the NEX to anyone looking for a modern-day solution for their NES library. Unless they own Castlevania III and it happens to be the primary reason they want an NES.

nat

So for the first time in years I busted out Duck Hunt today and played it on the NEX. The Nintendo light gun works like normal with the system.

On the first go with 1 duck I got to round 19, scoring perfectly on nearly every round. I think I got one of my best scores ever. I'd forgotten how fun this game is. Fairly simple game, but classic fun nonetheless.

Keranu

Duck Hunt is amazing. It's one of those games that's just never going to get old.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

esteban

Quote from: nat on 01/11/2007, 12:00 AMSo for the first time in years I busted out Duck Hunt today and played it on the NEX. The Nintendo light gun works like normal with the system.

On the first go with 1 duck I got to round 19, scoring perfectly on nearly every round. I think I got one of my best scores ever. I'd forgotten how fun this game is. Fairly simple game, but classic fun nonetheless.
I've been curious about NEX just to see what it was like, but I've put it off because I really don't need another NESclone.

But, to answer your original question, there is a really, really cheap way to play a lot of Famicom carts, though I don't know if they still sell it: I bought one of those pirate 63-million-games-in-one Famicom things (plug-and-play). It was $12, and has the cheapest controller (looks like N64) + light gun + extra controller. Of course, there weren't too many good ROMs built into the thing.

But the bottom of the main "N64" controller has a slot for Famicom carts! I've tested it with many titles and the stupid   thing emulates nicely, considering it is junk. But the controller sucks. Interestingly, the light gun works with carts!

NEX is a much better choice, of course.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

guyjin

yeah, i also have one of those n64 controller thingies. I didn't belive pirates could make an n64 controller worse, but they somehow managed.  :x i wouldn't disgrace a licenced famicom cart by sticking it in that slot.

nat

I saw those when I was researching the NES clones in general. The idea of putting the whole NES inside a controller is extremely cool if you ask me, but the execution and reality of the thing is horrendous. I would buy one for the pure novelty of it, but I wouldn't get my TV or carts within ten feet of the thing.

esteban

Quote from: nat on 01/11/2007, 07:18 PMI saw those when I was researching the NES clones in general. The idea of putting the whole NES inside a controller is extremely cool if you ask me, but the execution and reality of the thing is horrendous. I would buy one for the pure novelty of it, but I wouldn't get my TV or carts within ten feet of the thing.
The controller/pad is so cheaply made... that's what kills it. If I spent a long time playing it, I know something would go bad (i.e. responsiveness of dpad / buttons). The Namco carts were not standard size famicom carts (slightly thicker) and therefore don't easilly slip into the slot (actually, I don't think it fits at all -- I was afraid I'd break the damn thing!)

For $12, though, it's fun for the novelty. And the analog stick is fake, in case you were curious :).

CrackTiger

I'd rather play SMB on my orange N64 famicomer than a Turok game on a real N64 pad.  :wink:

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2007, 05:42 AMI'd rather play SMB on my orange N64 famicomer than a Turok game on a real N64 pad.  :wink:
Dude, 100% agreed. What's funny is all the hoopla about Turok doesn't seem so long ago!