Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)

Started by jlued686, 02/01/2007, 08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

The problem with the Saturn version is that it is a PORT of the PS version.  So it is doing 2D the same way the PS does it... with polygons.  If it had been translated or built ground up for the Saturn, I bet it cold be tons better than the PS version.

Seldane

It would. The PS1 isn't particularly good at handling 2d. The Saturn, on the other hand - is the king of 2d.

King. Of 2d.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

ParanoiaDragon

What about In the Hunt?  I've always wondered why the PS1 version didn't have all the slowdown & flicker, that the Saturn one had :?
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/06/2007, 07:58 PMWhat about In the Hunt?  I've always wondered why the PS1 version didn't have all the slowdown & flicker, that the Saturn one had :?
Because it was a better port.  :wink:

The Playstation can still do killer 2D, but the Saturn is more suited to it. Just as the reverse is true for 3D.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Seldane

Quote from: guest on 02/06/2007, 09:54 PMThe Playstation can still do killer 2D, but the Saturn is more suited to it. Just as the reverse is true for 3D.
I'd argue with that. The PS1 can definitely not do killer 3d, it can barely handle it. Same goes for the Saturn.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 02/07/2007, 09:41 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/06/2007, 09:54 PMThe Playstation can still do killer 2D, but the Saturn is more suited to it. Just as the reverse is true for 3D.
I'd argue with that. The PS1 can definitely not do killer 3d, it can barely handle it. Same goes for the Saturn.
For their time, they both had pretty killer 3D. Maybe I'm just biased though because I love early polygon graphics, especially ones older than those consoles!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

Quote from: Seldane on 02/07/2007, 09:41 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/06/2007, 09:54 PMThe Playstation can still do killer 2D, but the Saturn is more suited to it. Just as the reverse is true for 3D.
I didn't say the Playstation was killer at 3D, its just better suited to 3D than 2D and the Saturn is more suited to doing 2D, even though in the right hands good for the time 3D wasn't so impossible.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Zeta-Gouki

This looks awesome. The original Rondo, a 3d remake, and SotN all in one release... just enough to make me buy a PSP finally.  :mrgreen:

torgo

So, I'm the only one that Likes my PSP?!?! Wow.

I am greatly excited about this coming out. I own the original for the PC Engine (bought it when it came out, so I didn't pay 'too much.') I love the fact that both the Original and the 2.5-D remake are on the same disc.

Start flaming, because I play my PSP way more than I play my DS.
PS Nation

CrackTiger

I really like what my PSP can do and really like the few games I have for it and there are a few more I'm interested in.

I don't have many more games for DS and there aren't many more I want to get than on PSP.

But the GBA has enough classic console ports alone to make it more desirable to me than both DS & PSP. Right now I'm playing through FFVI on my DS while my unfinished FFIII sits in the DS cart port. I still think the real FFIII is the best FF, but I really would've prefered the Wonderswan port as it appeared in early screenshots.

JoshTurboTrollX

Just snagged this title the other day, it's really a pisser that you have to play through some of the 'new improved' grafx version of Rondo before you can play the original Drac X and SotN... but oh well.

Originals play pretty much how they are supposed to, good conversions overall.  The PSP really handles the presentations well.

However I'm not that huge of a fan of the remake... The grafx look nice, and the remixed musics are a welcome touch, but I would have much rather they used upgraded sprites with the same gameplay.  The new 3d/2d gameplay is a little weird and doesn't feel like the same game.

Especially with the damn double jump!  the only way you could do the double jump in the original rondo was by jumping straight up, now if you accidentally double tap the jump button doing any jump you instantly flip backwards and most likely die a most horrible death!  arg!

Anyway, love the PSP, love the collection on a hand held, not the hugest fan of the 3d redux of rondo......

Get yours today.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Duo_R

U could use a save from someone if u wanted to skip the new part.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 01/19/2011, 12:15 PMJust snagged this title the other day, it's really a pisser that you have to play through some of the 'new improved' grafx version of Rondo before you can play the original Drac X and SotN... but oh well.

Originals play pretty much how they are supposed to, good conversions overall.  The PSP really handles the presentations well.

However I'm not that huge of a fan of the remake... The grafx look nice, and the remixed musics are a welcome touch, but I would have much rather they used upgraded sprites with the same gameplay.  The new 3d/2d gameplay is a little weird and doesn't feel like the same game.

Especially with the damn double jump!  the only way you could do the double jump in the original rondo was by jumping straight up, now if you accidentally double tap the jump button doing any jump you instantly flip backwards and most likely die a most horrible death!  arg!

Anyway, love the PSP, love the collection on a hand held, not the hugest fan of the 3d redux of rondo......

Get yours today.
The remake grew on me a bit, though I don't like the visual overhaul.

I actually miss the original dub of Symphony of the Night with the original classic lines like "Die Mon Ster, you don't belong in this world"
--DragonmasterDan

geise

I thought the remake was ok.  It was nice to have stuff finally in english.  Having dracula-x and sotn was a nice added bonus.  I didn't like the new "additions" to the originals and I swear Dracula-X plays faster than on a real Duo.

rag-time4

I recently got a remake of SOTN on Konami Classics vol.1 for Xbox 360, but I've been reading that on the PSP port of SOTN all the familiars from the Japanese version are included. I've always been curious about those two extra familiars so I may download the PSP version on my PS3 at some point...