PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

River City Ransom TG-16 CD!

Started by Kitsunexus, 10/02/2007, 11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsunexus

http://www.neoromcollector.net/tgcd/rcr.htm

I did not know about this. Is there anywhere where I can get the MP3s (mainly the main song, while you're on the street)? The links are dead. :(

NVM, I have to donate. Seems worthy enough.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Ninja Spirit

Kitsunexus

Never mind, I found an MP3 of the Main them on HG101:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/kunio/kunio.htm

They completely ruined it by using a cheap ass Roland SoundCanvas's electric guitar patch.

I guess I'll stick with the NES version. Good thing I didn't donate.

Joe Redifer

Yeah, I can't stand the fake electric guitars there.  The PC Engine CD-ROM was not powerful enough to have electric guitars.  They needed a special MMX chip on the CD for Gate and Lords of Thunder.

rag-time4

I'm dying to know what the lead pipe sounds like when it hits the ground in the PCE version....

I loved it in the NES version (it sounded so realistic!!) but on Gameboy Advance it was totally different... and extremely lame.

Ah life's guilty pleasures  :mrgreen:

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/02/2007, 05:35 PMYeah, I can't stand the fake electric guitars there.  The PC Engine CD-ROM was not powerful enough to have electric guitars.  They needed a special MMX chip on the CD for Gate and Lords of Thunder.
It's not just the electric guitars, it's the style. It isn't supposed to be metal, it's supposed to be 60's rock that if you added vocals could sound like it came from Grease.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 10/03/2007, 02:41 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/02/2007, 05:35 PMYeah, I can't stand the fake electric guitars there.  The PC Engine CD-ROM was not powerful enough to have electric guitars.  They needed a special MMX chip on the CD for Gate and Lords of Thunder.
It's not just the electric guitars, it's the style. It isn't supposed to be metal, it's supposed to be 60's rock that if you added vocals could sound like it came from Grease.
Isn't that the style of the game though? Those guys look like a bunch of greasers to me.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 10/03/2007, 01:42 PM
Isn't that the style of the game though? Those guys look like a bunch of greasers to me.
Yeah, that's why I'm saying. I don't know why they used Eurosynth-metal for the TG-16 CD, it should have been an awesome 60's arrange of the main theme!

CrackTiger

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 10/03/2007, 01:43 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/03/2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm saying. I don't know why they used Eurosynth-metal for the TG-16 CD, it should have been an awesome 60's arrange of the main theme!
Alright, I just listened to the soundtrack. Its way more synthy than I expected.  :P

But at least it still sounds like video game music. From what I've seen in screenshots, they put the same effort into updating the graphics. :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

spenoza

I find the PCE SCD version an improvement over the NES version in every way, even if only a minor improvement. Both are awesome games anyway.

nat

I never knew before this thread that River City Ransom came out on the Turbo.

From the screenshots on the linked site, the graphics look waaaaay improved over the NES version.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

rag-time4

Quote from: nat on 10/03/2007, 02:55 PMI never knew before this thread that River City Ransom came out on the Turbo.

From the screenshots on the linked site, the graphics look waaaaay improved over the NES version.
On the rare occasions it pops up on ebay, it consistently draws $100

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 10/03/2007, 02:55 PMI never knew before this thread that River City Ransom came out on the Turbo.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it looks waaay improved, but at least its the best version out there(even topping the lackluster X68000 port).

At least each new version saw improvements/changes(except for X68000).

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/03/2007, 03:43 PMI wouldn't go so far as to say that it looks waaay improved, but at least its the best version out there(even topping the lackluster X68000 port).

Perhaps not waaaaaaaaay improved, but the PC Engine version actually came out three hours earlier than the other versions.  Don't believe me?  Check the high school clock.  :)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 10/03/2007, 03:43 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it looks waaay improved, but at least its the best version out there(even topping the lackluster X68000 port).

You're kidding, right!? The X68000 has more levels and everything, and you can enter the highschool and stuff!

nat

Quote from: guest on 10/03/2007, 03:43 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it looks waaay improved
I would. :)

That's the page I looked at originally that gave me that impression. Graphics look crisper and 10x more colorful. What more could you ask for? They could've added more detail, but that would ruin the cartoony look of the game.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

I was never really able to get into this game.  I don't really see the appeal.  The best thing about the game is that the characters say BARF! all the time.

Keranu

From the looks of it, the PCE version simply takes all the graphics from the NES version and splashes more color into them without changing the actual shape of things, which is pretty cool :) .

Also I didn't notice this until I saw the link CrackTiger posted, but the Japanese versions show the characters with white pants while the All-American version gets blue jeans. SCORE FOR AMERICA!  8)
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

ccovell

Naxat/Technos did the same colourizing-without-redrawing-the-graphics thing with the Nekketsu sports game on the PCE.  I don't like that style, really, as it does look like a recoloured NES game.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Keranu on 10/03/2007, 11:32 PMAlso I didn't notice this until I saw the link CrackTiger posted, but the Japanese versions show the characters with white pants while the All-American version gets blue jeans. SCORE FOR AMERICA!  8)
Yeah, the blue jeans look better than Chibi Tony Montana. :P

Gentlegamer

This confirms that the PC Engine was the greatest video game console ever.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Zeta-Gouki

Quote from: ccovell on 10/04/2007, 12:57 AMNaxat/Technos did the same colourizing-without-redrawing-the-graphics thing with the Nekketsu sports game on the PCE.  I don't like that style, really, as it does look like a recoloured NES game.
IMG IMG

Are we looking at the same pictures here? The graphics (especially backgrounds) look quite updated to me. The PCE version is indeed superior in every aspect compared to the NES/FC version imo.

And I'm really surprised so few people here knew of this game's existence. It always fetched a pretty penny in the early 90s on the old Turbolist BBS. Probably still does on eBay or Yahoo Japan.

ccovell

Right.  Well, maybe I should say resized/reimagined... anything but a more colourful version of the NES graphics at just about the same size.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Zeta-Gouki on 10/09/2007, 12:43 AM
Quote from: ccovell on 10/04/2007, 12:57 AMNaxat/Technos did the same colourizing-without-redrawing-the-graphics thing with the Nekketsu sports game on the PCE.  I don't like that style, really, as it does look like a recoloured NES game.
IMG IMG

Are we looking at the same pictures here? The graphics (especially backgrounds) look quite updated to me. The PCE version is indeed superior in every aspect compared to the NES/FC version imo.
IMGIMG

IMGIMG

IMGIMG

IMGIMG

Keranu

Looking at those screenshots, I kinda prefer the graphics in the NES version of Jackie Chan.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

TurboXray

I think for the Downtown Nekketsu, the re-coloring of the tiles/sprites works without flaw. It has the closest feeling of the original, which I loved, but with better graphics and without losing style. Other games... maybe not so. The SFC one(s) has different art and totally ruins the game IMO.

GUTS

Damn, Double Dragon II looks awesome, I really need to get a copy of that.

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/09/2007, 07:05 PMI think for the Downtown Nekketsu, the re-coloring of the tiles/sprites works without flaw. It has the closest feeling of the original, which I loved, but with better graphics and without losing style. Other games... maybe not so. The SFC one(s) has different art and totally ruins the game IMO.
Yeah I dig seeing 8-bit graphics recolored for 16-bit, it's very nice for keeping the original feel intact. Still on the other hand, it's sweet to see more details added, like in the Double Dragon II comparison (I wonder how the arcade graphics compare... SCREENSHOTS NOW!).
IMG

Kitsunexus

I like aspects of both Jackie Chan art, just like how I like aspects of both music.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 10/09/2007, 05:53 PMLooking at those screenshots, I kinda prefer the graphics in the NES version of Jackie Chan.
Thats what makes real aesthetic remakes so great, you get two cool versions of the same game instead of just the same game twice.

I still like recolored ports and am glad that the PCE River City Ransom kept the art intact, but its not a huge leap in visuals by PCE standards and not nearly recolored as nice as it could've been.

Quote from: Keranu on 10/10/2007, 01:24 AMYeah I dig seeing 8-bit graphics recolored for 16-bit, it's very nice for keeping the original feel intact. Still on the other hand, it's sweet to see more details added, like in the Double Dragon II comparison (I wonder how the arcade graphics compare... SCREENSHOTS NOW!).
IMG IMG

IMG IMG

Years ago when I first found out that the PCE DDII wasn't a port of the arcade version I was disappointed(we never had the arcade in my hometown, I only tried it once in Shelbyville). But now I regret not trying it each time I see pics or clips of it.

I was still disappointed further to hear that the Megadrive DDII port is supposed to suck.

ParanoiaDragon

The Turbo game, is a much better game......probably the best DD2 there is.  I was just playing the arcade one last night, & there's an enormous amount of slowdown in that game in certain parts, & I just don't get as thrilled with the arcade version in general.  And from what I recall, the MD version does indeed suck.
IMG

Keranu

Thanks for posting arcade screens, BT - you the man! I gotta say, I think the PCE graphics blow the arcade original's away!
IMG

nat

Quote from: Keranu on 10/10/2007, 11:14 PMThanks for posting arcade screens, BT - you the man! I gotta say, I think the PCE graphics blow the arcade original's away!
Definitely. No contest. The arcade never had a chance.

TurboXray

If I remember correctly, Gamefan gave the game a mediocre score/review/impression. I never bought it because of this back in the day. I didn't find out how decent the  really was until later :/

*shakes his fist angrily in the air at Gamefan!* - You summinabitsches!

termis

[-(

The arcade DD2 is one of the best beat 'em ups of the era (and ever!) IMO.

PCEngineHell

The Mega Drive port of DD2 really was not all that bad. I had it,and played the crap out of it for the longest time.

GUTS

I agree, I'd heard nothing but "it's horrible!" for years, but when I finally played it I thought it was ok.  I don't see what makes it sooooo bad.

Kind of like Golden Axe III; I had a blast with it and loved it, even beat it multiple times, but all you ever hear about it is that it sucks.

Keranu

I haven't really read reviews for Golden Axe III, but I can't see how it's a bad game at all. It's really cool and is similar to the original.
IMG

GUTS

It is really cool, I don't know what the fuck people are talking about when they bash it.

PCEngineHell

Yea Golden Axe 3 was pretty nice,I have no complaints about it at all.

Joe Redifer

The only things bad I'd really say about Golden Axe 3 are that the graphics are a tad "chinsey" (sorry, but that's the best word to describe them) and the dwarf is not present as a payable character (he died in the arcade Golden Axe 2).  Other than that it is a good game and I own it.  Errr... I mean I PWN it.

ParanoiaDragon

Yeah, I like Golden Axe 3. I remember hearing crap about it, but, I like it.  As for DD2 for MD, maybe I'll fire that up again to check it out.
IMG

OldRover

I think GA3 gets a lot of heat because it feels like it was rushed. It looks and feels very unpolished, especially compared to the first.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

rag-time4

I think the Arcade's graphics are superior, because the playable character actually looks like he did in the original. In the Turbo version, he somehow became a redhead with wristbands.

I loved the first Arcade game as a kid. In fact, it was the first Arcade game I got good at and was really the game that got me into gaming as a hobby in the first place.