How did my PCE remember this

Started by rasterfarian, 01/15/2008, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

Hrm...some posts disappeared.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

_Paul

M1Savage

Too bad this whole thread can't disappear.

Tatsujin

Quote from: elnino on 01/17/2008, 06:48 AMPlease, don't do this, you're going way too far now! The people here didn't think about the consequences when they posted and I'm sure they'd have responded differently knowing you'd go so far as posting this forum on a blog.
:lol: worth this thread :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PCEngineHell

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/17/2008, 07:31 AMIf you're an ass on the internet, its pretty likely that you are an ass in real life, you probably just have less guts there.
Speaking from experience are we Grumpy Smurf? :P

As far as the other guy goes,reading most of the last banter was too closely resembling the Tom Cruse Scientology video. It started to break down into gibberish about real life,and doing something,and after that I simply get lost cause I'm too busy texting and goin to school. I swear,dear lord,your accusing us of teeny bopper nerd mentality,but your the one doing the blog thing??? WTF is up with that double standard. I seriously doubt many of us here are in school,texting,or other things you think we are busy doing since you don't know any of us in real life,let alone on here,so you shouldn't assume so much....

Quote from: rasterfarian on 01/17/2008, 08:47 AMI'm not the one living a lie. They know they can't reveal what they're really about so they only have their anonymous cowards to work through, instead of say - where or who they would prefer to do any talking out of; and as said, there's all kinds of ways of getting to them.
I reveal what I'm about all the time,you just didn't stick around long enough to see. I also don't remember too many here using messenger boys to do any insulting.Everyone pulls their own weight around here. Also,how could you seriously in gods name threaten us,let alone manage to orchestrait a hit/attack/aka getting to us,if you cant even manage a simple cheat code? I will be amazed if you can even manage your blog....

spenoza

Since this thread is pretty much pointless, I suggest a mod lock it. The OP has no interest in actually getting answers that gel with reality and no interest in having civil discourse. And some here have decided to respond in kind (uncivilly).

PCEngineHell

Threads rarely get locked around here,only in extreme cases. There are still other members here that haven't had the chance yet to add their name to this legend for the guys blog,so you need to settle down for a min or two and wait :).Aaron will lock it if it gets terribly out of hand,in other words the guy making real threats of described violence,cussing,the rapings of mothers not yet mentioned,ect...I doubt it will even get that far due to the guy insisting he wont be coming back because of energy related issues.

_Paul

I wonder if he got the cheat to work yet.  :-k

nat

Quote from: OldRover on 01/17/2008, 09:08 AMHrm...some posts disappeared.
Oh man, this goon is a real piece of work.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

MissaFX

Quote from: nat on 01/17/2008, 10:54 AM
Oh man, this goon is a real piece of work.
That's what I was gonna say, what a piece of...oh not work.  Well it's a similar thought anyway.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

NecroPhile

Quote from: The Old Rover on 01/17/2008, 09:08 AMHrm...some posts disappeared.
So what did the missing posts say, or am I better off not knowing?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nat

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2008, 11:29 AM
So what did the missing posts say, or am I better off not knowing?
raster-nutcase went back and deleted all his posts where he went off the handle on everybody. Hence my last comment.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Odonadon

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 01/17/2008, 03:28 AMWait wait wait, I just now read this. So because I asked for clarification on something Necromancer said, now I'M THE BADGUY? Just where the fuck do you get off? You hardly ever post, I don't even fucking know you, and now I'M THE FUCKING BADGUY when I didn't even say a damn thing in that post that would be offensive to the OP.

Really man, fuck you. I hope none of your loved ones ever contract cancer or AIDS, because it would be a disgrace to those diseases.

EDIT: And thank you for runing my weekend even more than it was just ruined 2 hours ago.
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about...

Now going back to the beginning of the thread, everything after Necromancer and Nat's original posts was mindless jibber-jabber between a few board regulars and there were even a few insults thrown towards this guy (in the form of sarcastic joking).  Now I don't know who he is, but putting myself in his shoes, I'd be insulted too.

The majority of people come off as asses when typing something out.  It happens, and easily thanks to the lack of tone in something typed.  And it's all too easy to read what someone typed the wrong way.

From someone who's been part of the Turbo online scene for 10+ years now and has been doing his best to educate the uneducated, I view this thread as a step back.  There isn't a single person to blame, it was kind of a team effort - the raster guy was a significant part of it too.

Think of it from his point of view - the TG16 Hucards are the only cartridges since the Master System that don't have some sort of memory built in for saving.  His question was perfectly logical and reasonable in my mind.  But things spiraled way off topic quickly.

This isn't my board, so all I can ask is people think of this forum as a knowledge base.  I don't know about you, but when I am searching for information, forums are a great place to browse or search.  This thread is completely unsearchable - how is this going to help the next guy who has the same question?

I realize that by me butting into this thread I've also helped take it off topic, and that what I am saying is obviously pissing a few people off, but that is not my intention.

OD

/edit: to show I am trying to be helpful and mean so in a positive tone, I've changed my personal text in the forum (on the left) :)

shubibiman

Thing is, this guy had an issue with a game, 2 guies answered to help him out and the guy reacted by feeling insulted...wait, something must be wrong...
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

SignOfZeta

IMG

Odonadon

Quote from: shubibiman on 01/17/2008, 01:20 PMThing is, this guy had an issue with a game, 2 guies answered to help him out and the guy reacted by feeling insulted...wait, something must be wrong...
Right, but there were about 8 miscellaneous posts after that poking fun of him, and making light of his question.  I don't remember exactly when he posted (as the dork has removed them) within those 8 posts, but he definitely saw some of them.  I think that was the catalyst - from there he responded poorly, then back and forth it went.

OD

GUTS

There's a difference between mischievous and insulting, any normal person could have seen that necromancer was just goofing off in a light-hearted way (he even apologized before the guy went ape shit).  What I find hilarious is that the guy has a whole list of boards that have pissed him off, which leads me to believe that the problem is his uptight ass since most people don't go around having problems with every message board they come across.

Odonadon

Quote from: GUTS on 01/17/2008, 02:39 PMThere's a difference between mischievous and insulting, any normal person could have seen that necromancer was just goofing off in a light-hearted way (he even apologized before the guy went ape shit).  What I find hilarious is that the guy has a whole list of boards that have pissed him off, which leads me to believe that the problem is his uptight ass since most people don't go around having problems with every message board they come across.
What I'm trying to say is the first two posts (Necromancer's and nat's) answered his question - Necomancer didn't need to apologize for anything I don't think.  But there was no need for anyone else to chime in after that (sometimes it seems like people post for the sake of bringing their post count up) :)

But this raster guy certainly could have responded better than he did.

OD

MissaFX

This thread is still alive?  This guy was a new user who asked an ignorant question and maybe he was treated like a non-newbie, he surely overreacted and once he knew it was a joke, he continued to act like it wasn't a joke, which ended up dragging this on much longer than it had to be.  Maybe some people here need to be more newbie conscious but he also could have had an ounce of humor in him.

Lets just let this die, m'kay?
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

nat

Odonadon

Quote from: nat on 01/17/2008, 03:17 PM
Quote from: Missa on 01/17/2008, 03:15 PMnewbie conscious
:lol:

OK, I'll let it die now. Really.
Hey, I'm the one who is dragging it on.  I'M the one who will be letting it die now, Mr.! :)

OD

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Odonadon on 01/17/2008, 01:40 PM
Quote from: shubibiman on 01/17/2008, 01:20 PMThing is, this guy had an issue with a game, 2 guies answered to help him out and the guy reacted by feeling insulted...wait, something must be wrong...
Right, but there were about 8 miscellaneous posts after that poking fun of him, and making light of his question.  I don't remember exactly when he posted (as the dork has removed them) within those 8 posts, but he definitely saw some of them.  I think that was the catalyst - from there he responded poorly, then back and forth it went.

OD
Well,aren't we trying to b part of the group now,with you calling him a dork. Seriously,thats how it goes around here,someone goes off the deep end,we trash em and set'em straight. We are probably a little uptight,but as of late there have been other psychos posting here and causing issues. Unless you post here enough,its kinda like your opinion about our reactions to the dumb asses don't count because you don't know half of us or our reasoning.

Quote from: Odonadon on 01/17/2008, 12:16 PM
Quote from: Kitsunexus on 01/17/2008, 03:28 AMWait wait wait, I just now read this. So because I asked for clarification on something Necromancer said, now I'M THE BADGUY? Just where the fuck do you get off? You hardly ever post, I don't even fucking know you, and now I'M THE FUCKING BADGUY when I didn't even say a damn thing in that post that would be offensive to the OP.

Really man, fuck you. I hope none of your loved ones ever contract cancer or AIDS, because it would be a disgrace to those diseases.

EDIT: And thank you for runing my weekend even more than it was just ruined 2 hours ago.
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about...

The majority of people come off as asses when typing something out.  It happens, and easily thanks to the lack of tone in something typed.  And it's all too easy to read what someone typed the wrong way.

From someone who's been part of the Turbo online scene for 10+ years now and has been doing his best to educate the uneducated, I view this thread as a step back.  There isn't a single person to blame, it was kind of a team effort - the raster guy was a significant part of it too.
The majority here didn't come off as asses as far as I could tell,just the original poster in his initial attacks.Those types of things always bring reactions. Thats a given. Its kinda odd of you to come here and play judge on all of us,no one asked that of you....I do see your point OD,but it doesn't apply to every situation,esp this one.

QuoteThis isn't my board, so all I can ask is people think of this forum as a knowledge base.  I don't know about you, but when I am searching for information, forums are a great place to browse or search.  This thread is completely unsearchable - how is this going to help the next guy who has the same question?

I realize that by me butting into this thread I've also helped take it off topic, and that what I am saying is obviously pissing a few people off, but that is not my intention.

OD

/edit: to show I am trying to be helpful and mean so in a positive tone, I've changed my personal text in the forum (on the left) :)
Id honestly never find this useful,as most US titles state you need a battery back up,aka turbo booster plus,or Turbo Cd,or Duo back up memory,and if your able to import and collect Pc-Engine stuff,you should have prior knowledge and know these basics.Someone like him who has a real problem managing a cheat code obviously has  a hard time managing their temper and life too in general. The guy made that obvious.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Odonadon on 01/17/2008, 12:16 PMThink of it from his point of view - the TG16 Hucards are the only cartridges since the Master System that don't have some sort of memory built in for saving.  His question was perfectly logical and reasonable in my mind.  But things spiraled way off topic quickly.
Things went wildly off topic because he refused to believe that he was being given correct information and started berating us.

Quote from: Missa on 01/17/2008, 03:15 PMThis thread is still alive?  This guy was a new user who asked an ignorant question and maybe he was treated like a non-newbie, he surely overreacted and once he knew it was a joke, he continued to act like it wasn't a joke, which ended up dragging this on much longer than it had to be.  Maybe some people here need to be more newbie conscious but he also could have had an ounce of humor in him.

Lets just let this die, m'kay?
Since I'm the one who got his dander up, I'll stick my final two cents in before the madness ends.  My original comment was not meant to insult but only to say that he made an error; it's not a new saying, and I've never heard it to applied to mean that someone is an idiot.  Regardless, he took it as an affront, for which I apologized and he declined.  There were no other mean or insulting posts until he returned to make further threatening, ignorant, and abusive comments.

PS - Posting in a thread to say 'let it die' is counter productive.

OldRover

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 01/17/2008, 04:31 PMWell,aren't we trying to b part of the group now,with you calling him a dork. Seriously,thats how it goes around here,someone goes off the deep end,we trash em and set'em straight. We are probably a little uptight,but as of late there have been other psychos posting here and causing issues. Unless you post here enough,its kinda like your opinion about our reactions to the dumb asses don't count because you don't know half of us or our reasoning.
Don't loose your fury on Odonadon. He may not post much, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what's going on. He tends to be a lurker rather than a poster, but trust me, he knows what's up at all times, and will only post if necessary.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

MissaFX

Quote from: guestPS - Posting in a thread to say 'let it die' is counter productive.
If that's all I had said then yes I would agree with you.  However in this case I was trying to point out that everyone has some valid points and that the thread really isn't going in any new constructive direction so that people could take a moment to think about how important this all really was.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Missa on 01/17/2008, 05:48 PM
Quote from: guestPS - Posting in a thread to say 'let it die' is counter productive.
If that's all I had said then yes I would agree with you.  However in this case I was trying to point out that everyone has some valid points and that the thread really isn't going in any new constructive direction so that people could take a moment to think about how important this all really was.
Agreed. Just ends up being though that we need to be destructive on threads like this so we can be productive on the far more important ones at times.

spenoza

Well, since this discussion has veered into new territory...

Part of the problem is that this is a relatively tightly knit, insular message board. There are some of us who are friendly and welcoming, some of us who are relatively neutral, and some of us who are quick to insult and generally be dicks (but are otherwise contributing members of the community). This is much like any forum community.

The other part of the problem is that the mods are so laid back that those among us who are quick to lash out have no concern about being warned or having threads locked. There are a number of threads, some created by Validus and this one, that should have had some moderator-issued warnings (and not just to the OP/instigator) and have been locked, thus nipped in the bud, quickly. Period.

With proper mod response and involvement people like validus and rastafarian will quickly either begin to adapt and become productive members of the community or they will fail to adapt and go away. And they will do so with less foaming at the mouth all around. Our current "no holds barred" status means people do get run off, but there's a much smaller chance of reforming the offenders into positive contributors.

But that's just my opinion.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2008, 10:09 PMWell, since this discussion has veered into new territory...

Part of the problem is that this is a relatively tightly knit, insular message board. There are some of us who are friendly and welcoming, some of us who are relatively neutral, and some of us who are quick to insult and generally be dicks (but are otherwise contributing members of the community). This is much like any forum community.

The other part of the problem is that the mods are so laid back that those among us who are quick to lash out have no concern about being warned or having threads locked. There are a number of threads, some created by Validus and this one, that should have had some moderator-issued warnings (and not just to the OP/instigator) and have been locked, thus nipped in the bud, quickly. Period.

With proper mod response and involvement people like validus and rastafarian will quickly either begin to adapt and become productive members of the community or they will fail to adapt and go away. And they will do so with less foaming at the mouth all around. Our current "no holds barred" status means people do get run off, but there's a much smaller chance of reforming the offenders into positive contributors.

But that's just my opinion.
Wow, a great and well thought out post from an unbiased observer that makes a lot of sense, yet points fingers at no individual. This is what a certain wannabe vigilante needs to read.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

SignOfZeta

If the mods get trigger happy, I'll simply leave. I'm only interested in natural, organic conversation. This isn't 5th grade, or corporate radio, or some such shit. If I have to think about the idea of some prick deleting my post, and structure everything I say some someone else's idea of "on topic", I'll just waste my time elsewhere.

I find it really pathetic that people actually want to be modded.

OK, this is pretty abstract, but I happen to be a huge fan of the anime Macross 7. At first I really hated it, but a few years ago I finally "got" it, and its become one of my all time favorite shows, especially the Dynamite OVAs. Basically, the reason why I like it is the hero, Basara, who instead of blowing away the enemy with lasers, sings and plays guitar. At first the reaction of all the people in the show is the same as mine, "My Dog, that is fucking stupid", or something like that. After a while though Basara's total dedication to his form of peace making really wins you over though. He doesn't shoot when he's "forced to kill!" or whatever, he never shoots. Ever. He lives his method, Ghandi style, and it blows me away.

So I was really amazed by a story I read on the BBC about a group of musicians in Colombia who when they heard of tragically violent events like bombings, or guerilla rebel fighting and all that crappy stuff that those people have to deal with, would go the scene and play music. Some of them had guitars made from old rifles, which really reminded me of Basara because he would always fly into battle in a Valkyrie, a weapon of war, with no guns on it.

So anyway, I told my friend about it who reads Macross World a lot (or maybe some other Macross site I don't go to) and he posted it there calling it "Real Life Macross 7", or something like that.

A mod locked the topic saying it was off topic.

Even though I had never even been to the forum, this really pissed me off. The BBC article was TOTALY on topic. It really was a real life Macross 7 (with no aliens). It couldn't be more on topic, and anyone that actually understood Macross 7 would understand that utterly. I have no doubt whatsoever that Shoji Kawamori would also be amazed by the BBC article. (If I ever have a chance to meet him again, I'll mention it. Last time was before the BBC thing). The problem was simply that the mod was a dumb-ass. He didn't understand Macross 7, and locked the topic before any of the people that read the forums could even talk about it and decide what they though about it.

Basically, I say what I want to say and if you don't like it you can either ignore me, or flame me. Either take me on, or forget I exist. Don't pray to a internet guardian angel to shut me up because you can handle yourself in a conversation.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Damn. More good points. I actually see no problem with the way we have things now, except for the people that come in just to start attacks, and Odonadon deputizing himself and painting me as Public Enemy numero uno. I don't think I'll leave if we get moderators, but it definitely won't be as fun.

BTW Zeta, I heard good things about Macross, but I HATED Robotech when they put it on CN, and we all know the story of how the 80's TV studios had to PAY to finish the Robotech saga on air.

Is it better as Macross, or should I just not watch it?

SignOfZeta

QuoteBTW Zeta, I heard good things about Macross, but I HATED Robotech when they put it on CN, and we all know the story of how the 80's TV studios had to PAY to finish the Robotech saga on air.

Is it better as Macross, or should I just not watch it?
I'm quite the Macross fan and all. I have the DRYL Perfect Edition CAV laserdisc. I was mail ordering Macross model kits from photocopied catalogs that said, "Check your local TV listings soon for "Robotech", the English version of Macross!!!" hand written in the margins. I had Kawamori draw me an SD VT-1D, which sits framed on my dresser. Etc etc...

...but I have no idea what you are talking about. In my area Robotech ran all the way through several times. Although the time slot wasn't very good, it was on five days a week for two or three years. I don't know what you mean by "80's TV studios" since the entire of Robotech was animated in Japan, and only edited and dubbed in...Texas, I think. I had no idea they were showing it on CN. I haven't seen Robotech in 15 years or more. I prefer the Japanese series, but the core of Macross is the same. There are only a few differences.

Basically the original three series that made up Robotech are though of by most people like this:

Macross: The best. Very good. Too bad the sequels aren't very good.
Southern Cross: Not very interesting in either version.
Mospeda: Very different in Japanese, and rather a good show.

You can get them all from Netflix. I'm pretty sure you still can't get a US version of Macross the movie though, other than the terrible dub on VHS from ages ago. You also can't get Flashback 2012, or Macross 7. You can get Macross Plus, which is OK but not wonderful, you can also get Macross II which sucks almost as bad as Macross Zero, which I'm pretty sure isn't out in the US.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Yeah, back when I still cared to watch Toonami, I think around 2001-2002 somewhat, they decided to put on old episodes of Robotech, along with Gigantor during the commercial breaks (I think it was the year before the RT game came out?)

Anyway, I heard this story on the Internet that even though Robotech ran all the way through, it was a massive flop and the producers had to pay the studios that aired it in order to complete the story.

As a funny co-relation, I don't think Robotech ever finished when it was re-aired on CN; I certainly didn't care to watch it anyway (I only watched I think about 2 episodes).

Odonadon

Okay seriously - here we go wildly off topic again.  All I am trying to do is point out that the moderators need to moderate, keep the conversation on topic and friendly, etc - please, I am begging.  This is something that is not happening here, for whatever reason.  The board can be run however it wants, however the style we have here will really chase away the newbies, as we've seen and been part of a few times now.  This type of general conversation needs to be kept in the General forum.  I only browse the PC/Engine and TG16 sections and avoid the General and Chit-Chat sections, and I don't want to read about Robotech in a thread pertaining to a legitimate question regarding a Hucard and built in memory. 

Kitsunexus - I don't appreciate your profane personal messages, and I hope you don't expect a response from me.  I didn't single out a single person, and as was pointed out earlier, you've put 2+2 together and got 5. 

I've deputized myself here because I feel someone needs to.  My current ID has been part of this forum since 2005, but I can assure you I've been here since the beginning.  I'm appealing to everyone to just be helpful to the newbies, keep the off-topic conversations in an off-topic forum, and just overall try to be nice and accommodating to those who don't know any better.  When they flip out, start shouting profanities, and start deleting their previous posts - well, that just makes the person a dork in my book.  But let's forget that happened - was this newb initially treated with respect by everyone?  Go back and read the first page of this thread - Not very helpful beyond the first two posts (Kitsunexus, you asked to clarify something necromancer said in the third post - this does not make you my enemy, nor is it what I am referring to).

OD

Odonadon

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 01/17/2008, 04:31 PMWell,aren't we trying to b part of the group now,with you calling him a dork. Seriously,thats how it goes around here,someone goes off the deep end,we trash em and set'em straight. We are probably a little uptight,but as of late there have been other psychos posting here and causing issues. Unless you post here enough,its kinda like your opinion about our reactions to the dumb asses don't count because you don't know half of us or our reasoning.
Well no, he did some things later on in the thread that makes me refer to him as a dork.  It's not the posters here you should be concerned about, but rather the readers.  An effective forum is one where people can quickly and readily share information.  This thread is not quick, nor easy to read.  This thread has had 439 views already - yet nowhere near 439 posts.  There is an invisible majority, and these are the people we need to be helping.
Quote.
The majority here didn't come off as asses as far as I could tell,just the original poster in his initial attacks.Those types of things always bring reactions. Thats a given. Its kinda odd of you to come here and play judge on all of us,no one asked that of you....I do see your point OD,but it doesn't apply to every situation,esp this one.
Well this really is my point, you didn't read anyone as coming off as asses.  I did.  Other people probably did as well.  Other people probably read it and agree with you.  It's all about perception.

QuoteThis isn't my board, so all I can ask is people think of this forum as a knowledge base.  I don't know about you, but when I am searching for information, forums are a great place to browse or search.  This thread is completely unsearchable - how is this going to help the next guy who has the same question?
Id honestly never find this useful,as most US titles state you need a battery back up,aka turbo booster plus,or Turbo Cd,or Duo back up memory,and if your able to import and collect Pc-Engine stuff,you should have prior knowledge and know these basics.Someone like him who has a real problem managing a cheat code obviously has  a hard time managing their temper and life too in general. The guy made that obvious.[/quote]
So this thread doesn't help you out any - me neither.  Most of us here already know the answer.  But I'm sure there are 50 Joe Blows out there wondering something along the same lines as this guy.  I'd hope that any PC-Engine forum would welcome even someone who doesn't know the basics.  We're here to help people.

OD

Odonadon

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2008, 04:42 PMThings went wildly off topic because he refused to believe that he was being given correct information and started berating us.
I have to disagree with that - things started going off topic quickly.  Posts 4 onward look like:

QuotePEBCAK - problem exists between chair and keyboard.  Razz
QuoteNecromancer is on fire this week.

First the q-tips and now this.
QuoteHaha, yeah! I never heard these terms before either, we're all learning something new.
QuoteActually, I've heard both before.

When I was younger I actually thought I had personally coined the Q-tip line myself.
QuoteVery true. And if you don't play your PCE enough, it has been known to kill it's owners.
Quoteonly fair!
OD

Kitsunexus

Odonadon: Check your PM inbox man.

Odonadon

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 01/18/2008, 02:26 AMOdonadon: Check your PM inbox man.
No worries man - all good.

OD

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Odonadon on 01/18/2008, 01:45 AMOkay seriously - here we go wildly off topic again.  All I am trying to do is point out that the moderators need to moderate, keep the conversation on topic and friendly, etc - please, I am begging.  This is something that is not happening here, for whatever reason. 
Yeah, and all I'm trying to say is that the people you want on this forum don't need that shit. The people that get chased away are worthless to the community. "Hi! This is my first post, but I assure you I'm hardc@re. Please buy my Duo on eBay for $400!". Crap like that. Or this Splatterhouse jerk that thinks there is some magic little man in his PCE recording his progress beyond the limits of technical possibility. Fuck em.

A noob that will eventually become a pcengine-fx.com forum vet years down the road that is valuable to the scene and such won't be, for example, mortally offended because we told him he was putting the code in wrong.

If you really want to be told what to do, how to have your conversations can go, how to stay on topic, etc, there are many social and political organizations you can join that share your goodthink agenda. In the meantime I suggest you be the change you wish to see in the world and stop posting tons of off-topic posts about how off topic these posts are.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Odonadon on 01/18/2008, 01:45 AMOkay seriously - here we go wildly off topic again.
I love the irony - it's delicious.

Quote from: Odonadon on 01/18/2008, 01:45 AMBut let's forget that happened - was this newb initially treated with respect by everyone?
Yes, unless you consider an off topic post to be offensive (which it most certainly isn't).  The correct answer was given in the first post after his question and confirmed in the following post, so there is no need for anyone to search this thread beyond the first two posts anyway.  The abusive posts didn't start until after he came back, refuted the answers, and started making threats and hurling insults.

spenoza

I don't think mods are necessary to keep threads on topic. I think there needs to be a natural conversation flow. Enforcing rigid discussion can be really restricting and is no fun. Threads should not be locked for going off-topic, they should be locked because the thread has boiled down to trading insults and there is nothing fun or productive coming out of it.

I do think mods need to be active on insults and flaming and be willing to hand out warnings and lock threads where necessary. Sure, it seems likely rastafarian and validus would not have made good forum goers in the long-run, but we can't know for sure. If we'd had more patience and just ignored his insults instead of throwing them back maybe one of them would have got the point and actually mellowed a bit. Remember, on-line first impressions aren't always right, and people do change to fit their environment if there's something in it for them, like community or whatever.

So again, veer off-topic all you want, but if your instinctive response to a perceived sleight is to start flinging poo like our more primitive distant cousins perhaps a mod needs to let you know you need to look BEFORE you leap. I think communities can be spontaneous and honest and still have some ground rules for how you treat other people. Society needs such rules to function, and forums are, after a fashion, little, contained societies. Eye for an Eye is not a good forum policy, ever.

spenoza

Macross is pretty cool. I haven't given 7 a chance, yet. Plus is my favorite, though the original definitely gets high marks all around as well. I've been trying to get into Gundam lately, too. Some of it's good but some of it is very contrived and silly.

Odonadon

Quote from: guest on 01/18/2008, 12:02 PMSo again, veer off-topic all you want, but if your instinctive response to a perceived sleight is to start flinging poo like our more primitive distant cousins perhaps a mod needs to let you know you need to look BEFORE you leap. I think communities can be spontaneous and honest and still have some ground rules for how you treat other people. Society needs such rules to function, and forums are, after a fashion, little, contained societies. Eye for an Eye is not a good forum policy, ever.
Exactly - let's moderates ourselves.  I guess that's what I'm asking for.  As a loyal visitor and reader of this forum, I think it's a simple request to treat people with respect.  Rasterfarian posted a question regarding Splatterhouse and his cheat code, and random conversation between a few board regulars started up.  This is surely insulting - if you've ever been to a new board and posted a question hoping for an answer, only to have the board talk among themselves in your thread like you weren't there, you'd be pissed off too.

Some people seem very comfortable in their niche they've carved out for themselves here - I guess all I can hope for is for just a few people to hopefully keep my points in mind with the next newb.  It's a selfish request, because I (and many others) like coming to this forum and reading the topics.  Unrelated personal discussions/questions in a public thread does not a good forum make.

OD

_Paul

Quote from: guest on 01/18/2008, 12:02 PMI don't think mods are necessary to keep threads on topic. I think there needs to be a natural conversation flow. Enforcing rigid discussion can be really restricting and is no fun. Threads should not be locked for going off-topic, they should be locked because the thread has boiled down to trading insults and there is nothing fun or productive coming out of it.

I do think mods need to be active on insults and flaming and be willing to hand out warnings and lock threads where necessary. Sure, it seems likely rastafarian and validus would not have made good forum goers in the long-run, but we can't know for sure. If we'd had more patience and just ignored his insults instead of throwing them back maybe one of them would have got the point and actually mellowed a bit. Remember, on-line first impressions aren't always right, and people do change to fit their environment if there's something in it for them, like community or whatever.

So again, veer off-topic all you want, but if your instinctive response to a perceived sleight is to start flinging poo like our more primitive distant cousins perhaps a mod needs to let you know you need to look BEFORE you leap. I think communities can be spontaneous and honest and still have some ground rules for how you treat other people. Society needs such rules to function, and forums are, after a fashion, little, contained societies. Eye for an Eye is not a good forum policy, ever.
I agree with this 100%.

Kitsunexus

Quick question. If going off-topic is such a bad thing, why aren't we talking about Splatterhouse's cheat issue right now?  :-k

OldRover

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 01/18/2008, 02:14 PMQuick question. If going off-topic is such a bad thing, why aren't we talking about Splatterhouse's cheat issue right now?  :-k
Hey, I'd like to know that myself. #-o

GUTS

Only freedom haters like mods.

spenoza

Mark me up as a freedom hater, then.

spenoza

Odonadon, I don't completely agree with your assessment. If someone runs off with the topic the OP, or a mod, should simply reiterate the question or ask if anyone has any new ideas. The mod shouldn't necessarily admonish anyone for going off topic. That sort of thing is natural. But mods can take positive steps to try and steer some attention back to the original topic if it hasn't been properly addressed.

In the case of this thread, the OP's query was covered. Just because the OP didn't like the answer and refused to believe it doesn't mean the query wasn't addressed. My only problem with this thread was the insults and the flaming. That said, in regards to helping newbies acclimate, I do very much agree, if to a lesser degree. The forum is still here, ostensibly, for us, those who are already here. Should we be more welcoming, patient, and tolerant? To a point, yes. Should we stop having some of the insane conversations and topical u-turns? Not at all! Compromise is key.

PCEngineHell

The only thing I see the need for mod wise is to keep newbs from spamming the threads randomly,esp sales ones,and from sending spam/harassing pms. Usually anything else we seem to manage to handle here on our own.

spenoza

I don't know that I'd call it "handling... on our own" so much as "flaming the bejezus out of the bastards if they get too uppity". There are better, less emotional ways of fixing problems like that.