Richard Gibbs PCE Guide (pdf)

Started by LMS, 10/23/2009, 08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMS

The Complete PC Engine Guide (Richard Gibbs, 1993) - pdf download  :D

a few of us spoke about this back in April. HardcoreOtaku was remembering the early 90's London scene with computer exchange on Whitfield Street, Shekana, etc... and I was making promises about scanning the old richard gibbs guide which I have threatened to do here a few times before but never get around to.

well i just finished a big work project yesterday and I'm not really into starting something new until next week so i spent the last hour or so scanning the whole book. I'll make it up as a pdf over the weekend (later today maybe) and get it out to all you guys.

If I upload it and post it here will some of you guys help get it circulated to other heads that might want it? I could do without taking a big hit on server traffic so it would be better if people could grab it and upload it with rapidshare accounts etc, rather than just reposting the link elsewhere.

Anyway, less talk... more pdf making

soooooooooon................. 

ps. Mr Gibbs if you're out there, I hope you see this as a tribute to your legacy and not the blatant act of piracy that it is  [-o<

Tatsujin

lol..it seems that almost every country had its own PCE guide once :D

looking FW to see that one.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

LMS

Right, here it is then...

mediafire.com/?ogyzdjhltid

Hope the other older UK guys enjoy the nostalgia factor ;D

Mirror (thanks to esteban):
archives.tg-16.com/magazine_database.htm
archives.tg-16.com/COMPLETE_PCE_GUIDE_BOOK/complete_pce_guide_book_1993.pdf

NecroPhile

Oooo, thanks for scanning this sucker; I'll check it out sometime this weekend.  In the mean time, I've mirrored it here.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

LMS

Thanks NecroPhile, replaced the original link with your mirror.

NecroPhile

It'd be great if somebody else can mirror this as well, as mediafire sucks sometimes.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

exodus

god I can't even tell what to click anymore.
if someone puts it up in a proper place where I can just click the freaking link, I can mirror it on an actual website.
or email it to me, brandon at insert credit dot com

Otaking

Quote from: LMS on 10/23/2009, 08:00 AMThe Complete PC Engine Guide (Richard Gibbs, 1993) - pdf download  :D

a few of us spoke about this back in April. HardcoreOtaku was remembering the early 90's London scene with computer exchange on Whitfield Street, Shekana, etc... and I was making promises about scanning the old richard gibbs guide which I have threatened to do here a few times before but never get around to.

well i just finished a big work project yesterday and I'm not really into starting something new until next week so i spent the last hour or so scanning the whole book. I'll make it up as a pdf over the weekend (later today maybe) and get it out to all you guys.

If I upload it and post it here will some of you guys help get it circulated to other heads that might want it? I could do without taking a big hit on server traffic so it would be better if people could grab it and upload it with rapidshare accounts etc, rather than just reposting the link elsewhere.

Anyway, less talk... more pdf making

soooooooooon................. 

ps. Mr Gibbs if you're out there, I hope you see this as a tribute to your legacy and not the blatant act of piracy that it is  [-o&lt;
Downloading now, thanks a million mate, really kind of you to do this  8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

_Paul

SignOfZeta

I never read this mag back in the day, but I'm swimming in nostalgia nonetheless. Thanks so much for uploading it!
IMG

exodus

Otaking

pure nostalia!!! Cheers LMS, haven't looked through this for about 10 years +++, a few years ago I went dig to out and dust off my copy then I realized I had accidentilly binned it, it was stored away in a box of stuff that I had meant to keep which had loads of other goodies in there too that I lost, it was box of random stuff which also included loads of PC-engine CD spine cards, reg cards and game maps, dohh!!!  :x   :cry:

anyways interesting reading the Fanzine again, I did a few PC-Engine game trades with Richard Gibbs around the time he wrote it, I remember questioning why his meager 6 out of 10 score for Motoroader II and then being suprised when he said to me that he hadn't actually played all the games he had reviewed in the Fanzine.  :shock:

:D
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

esteban

Rock on LMS!

I remember you fellows talking about this PCE guide not too long ago :) . I was eager to check out the full guide.

I have a request: If you have any memories of this guide, or just PCE gaming back in the UK, back in the day, post them here. We can take the old thread + any info here and I'll throw a page up on tg-16.com, because this should be documented.

I'm going to make "stub" (to use the wikipedia parlance) and throw it up later this evening. Any links to reminiscences on other forums that might be worthy of quoting would be nice, too.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

WoodyXP

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 10/23/2009, 05:46 PMhe said to me that he hadn't actually played all the games he had reviewed in the Fanzine.
lol
"I bathe in AES carts."

esteban

Quote from: WoodyXP on 10/25/2009, 07:31 AM
Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 10/23/2009, 05:46 PMhe said to me that he hadn't actually played all the games he had reviewed in the Fanzine.
lol
:) , indeed.

Digi.k

I really should have bought this back then I remember seeing it for sale in Raven games.. I wonder if they still have original copies for sale there...

Anyway thanks for the link

Otaking

Reading this again recently, so many memories, deserves a bump... thanks LMS  :D

LMS

esteban

Quote from: LMS on 03/31/2010, 08:05 PMO:)
Yeah, again, this was a blast to read through. A lot of work went into it :)

offsidewing

Wasn't richard gibbs in the bee gees?

futurematt

Holy sh*t this is awesome! Never saw it the first time round but it captures that time and place perfectly.

Gosh, I remember Computer Exchange on Whitfield Street - they had a huge amount of PC Engine HuCards and Super CD Roms. I might start a 'CEX reminiscence and good buys' thread.

Anyway top work LMS, you're a STAR.  :D
Systems: PCE white, Core Grafx, CD Rom2 / IFU30, GT, LT, Super CD Rom2. Games: Almost all the shooters and about 50 others and growing! Also into Sega Saturn and Dreamcast shooters.
For HD gaming stuff visit my You Tube channel "Ten Minute Turbo Show" at www.youtube.com/futurematt5

Otaking

Quote from: futurematt on 04/08/2010, 10:19 AMI might start a 'CEX reminiscence and good buys' thread.
Matt you should checkout this old thread https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6644

futurematt

Systems: PCE white, Core Grafx, CD Rom2 / IFU30, GT, LT, Super CD Rom2. Games: Almost all the shooters and about 50 others and growing! Also into Sega Saturn and Dreamcast shooters.
For HD gaming stuff visit my You Tube channel "Ten Minute Turbo Show" at www.youtube.com/futurematt5

futurematt

Reading through this excellent old fanzine, Richard doesn't award a single 10/10. Was he close? He seemed to be on the edge with Parasol Stars, Air Zonk and YsI+II.
The cheats section is fantastic. I'll give goddam cloud master something to think about when I get home.. :evil:

JAPJAC

What ever happened to 'Richard Gibbs'?  Where is he now?  Probably having a pint with Onn Lee, Nicky Lee and Tony Takoushi somewhere.
sig-top.jpg
JAPJAC - "A leading pioneer and expert in the field of Japanese videogame playing, studying & collecting in the U.K. since day one" © 2001. Japan resident & TFP founder.
sig-bot.jpg

Otaking

Quote from: JAPJAC on 05/20/2010, 08:53 AMWhat ever happened to 'Richard Gibbs'?  Where is he now?  Probably having a pint with Onn Lee, Nicky Lee and Tony Takoushi somewhere.
I tried to find/contact Richard Gibbs and Onn Lee a few years ago as I was (still am) trying to find printed copies of their Fanzines,
Couldn't find Richard Gibbs, but tracked down Onn Lee he had some website with his comic strips on.
Had a few brief messages and asked if by any chance he had any old copies of his Fanzines he would like to sell but he never responded.

Actually just remembered there's this thread here you responded to:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6658.30

I love this whole era of the late 80s, early 90s grey import gaming in the UK, in fact my whole/only interest in video games revolves around revisiting this time, sticking on an old PC-Engine game just takes me back.......  :D

LMS

Nice video man. Seeing the white saturn and layer section running on a sideways monitor brings back memories of your old place  =P~

_Paul

Quote from: JAPJAC on 05/20/2010, 08:53 AMAt the time the only 2 games that no importer in the UK ever imported were PC Denjin and Super Star Parody.  It got to the point where me and my friends were convinced that they were never released. 
That's not quite true, I got my copy of Star Parodier with no problem, probably not long after release. SO they did import it, but perhaps it was just hard to track down (I remember Splatterhouse was also difficult to get hold of at one point).

Otaking

Star Parodier was very uncommon in the UK, personally I never saw a copy for sale (actually in stock) for years after its release,
very vague memory but pretty sure I got my first copy from a friend who was from HongKong.

Otaking

necrobump!!
was reading this PC Engine Guide Book PDF on my iPad, it's pure awesome nostalgia!

esteban

Otaking

Quote from: esteban on 06/03/2014, 06:30 PMarchives.tg-16.com/magazine_database.htm
It's the first item, ha!
Great, thanks for hosting it.

Just seen this video which flicks through the book

roflmao

I skimmed through this last night and had a blast.  Thanks for hosting it, este!

This dude was way off on some of his game ratings, though. :)  He was pretty harsh bitd.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/04/2014, 09:49 PMI skimmed through this last night and had a blast.  Thanks for hosting it, este!

This dude was way off on some of his game ratings, though. :)  He was pretty harsh bitd.
In one of the threads here (possibly this very one), a UK member said that Gibbs acknowledged that he didn't have access to all of the games and, therefore, not all the reviews are based on actual experience, but fabricated instead (possibly using other reviews/fanzines/magazines as a reference).

Since this was no worse than the shenanigans pulled by mainstream magazines back then, and since I rarely agree with reviews in general (even today), this doesn't detract from Gibbs's overall effort. He should have simply omitted the score for any game he didn't personally play  (he could have included commentary, even if it was merely "based on screenshots, this looks like a complex strategy game set in feudal Japan and colonial NJ..."

InfraMan

What a fun read, thanks so much for sharing this! I've never seen Bravoman referred to as "Mr. Stretcho Man" before, though... is that really a thing?

Also, 4/10 for Dungeon Explorer II and Neutopia II? Shenanigans!!! [-(

Otaking

I think Momotarou Katsugeki is referred to as Kario Land.

esteban

Quote from: InfraMan on 06/07/2014, 08:29 AMWhat a fun read, thanks so much for sharing this! I've never seen Bravoman referred to as "Mr. Stretcho Man" before, though... is that really a thing?

Also, 4/10 for Dungeon Explorer II and Neutopia II? Shenanigans!!! [-(
Absolutely brutal trashing of Dungeon Explorer II AND Neutopia II.

MR. STRETCHO is perfectly acceptable, IMHO.  :pcgs:

esteban

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 06/07/2014, 08:52 AMI think Momotarou Katsugeki is referred to as Kario Land.
Not nearly as entertaining as "Barrio Land"  :pcgs:

Psycho Punch

I'm sure he didn't play all of the reviewed games. Bonanza Bros. description makes it quite clear lol.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp