RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

What TG16 Collectors Need Only Magical Chase?

Started by TheClash603, 01/08/2010, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheClash603

I just purchased Bonk 3 yesterday, which officially leaves me with only one game on my list of unowned TG16 Hu-Cards...  Magical Chase.  This game is near impossible to find, for less than $1,000 anyway, and I have a feeling that leaves many collectors in the same boat of owning every game except one.  It is quite disheartening to be in this position, but I wonder, how many others on this site are in the same boat?

I looked through previous forums, and I don't think this has ever been asked before.  So, if you are a collector in the same boat as me, with a TG library minus 1, let me know!  Also, what price would you pay to complete your collection if you had the chance?  I can't justify more than $200 for a game, and I'd pay that for a loose copy, but I couldn't get crazy and spend a grand.

For me, the hunt continues.  Too bad Buffalo, NY is far from a hotbed of rare and hard to find games!

geise

While not technically TG16 you could get a pc-engine copy.  Yeah it doesn't have the updates but you can get a loose of that for under 100 and probably even under 80.  Yeah it's not the TG16 version with the updates but it's still a good game.  I wouldn't say really say a $80 game to me but I'm cheap!  There's far better games out there and it's sad that this way overpriced game is the only one you have left to complete your US collection.  Congrats on the rest of the games!  =D>

nat

It's only been within the past year that the game skyrocketed to the ridiculous price it now fetches. Certain people (they know who they are) can be thanked for playing a part in that.

In 2008 I bought a US copy of the game, with manual, for $165.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SignOfZeta

When this game hit $100 (like, probably a decade ago) I thought the sky was going to fall. It certainly seemed like a sign of the apocalypse. I know a guy then who did have every game except MC. He was the first person I knew to actually try to get all the US games. At the time it seemed like such a reasonable goal. Like collecting Star Wars glasses from Burger King. Sort of a joke, and how hard could it be? Who collects US games? The TG-16 version doesn't even come with a case, does it? There was basically no demand for them at all compared to PCE releases.

He never did get that game...

Now things are much different the nouveau hardcore have basically fucked everything up. You can actually get a PC Engine LT for less than a US copy of Magical Chase which is...INSANE. There is no other word for it.

IMO, just be patient. These people will eventually have a hard time making the minimum payments on the credit card debt that bought their collections, and/or they will just get bored, dump their junk, and the "values" will drop back to something realistic. Given the genuine rarity of Magical Chase (US) it may never drop back below $100, but there aren't enough Crazy Dions in the world to keep the value in the $1000 category forever.
IMG

BlackandBlue

Thats my plan.  There's no way in hell I'm paying that much for a game.  I figure in a year or two I'll be able to find a copy with manual for around $300 (which is still high, but most I want to pay).  Doesn't help that retro games are "all the rage" right now.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

Sparky

Quote from: BlackandBlue on 01/09/2010, 07:23 AMThats my plan.  There's no way in hell I'm paying that much for a game.  I figure in a year or two I'll be able to find a copy with manual for around $300 (which is still high, but most I want to pay).  Doesn't help that retro games are "all the rage" right now.
Thats the most i would have paid my friend when i was looking a couple years back and i still think its a fair price now, but like nat said theres a big fuckery going on in the market, and with the majority only turning to ebay for the game it is just getting silly!!!.

All i can say is don't give up an be patient, and keep asking on those forums as much as it has been asked before, hells i even listed most of my collection other than Tg16 stuff in hopes for an even partial trade for the game back in the day. Just realize ebay is your last place to go looking and get your hopes up, guys that sell there magical chase on there are helping themselves not you.

My story is i traded with a guy over on digitpress, i gave him a rare but empty Atari prototype box (The Incredable hulk) i found at a fleamarket for next to nothing and i got in return a complete minty copy (even has the plastic wrap on it ) of MC.  Some times the good guys do win.

EDIT: this would have been good to add a poll to :)

TheClash603

Well I guess I am part of the problem then, not the solution unfortunately...  I only started to collect TG16 games 2 years ago, and it was by chance someone had one dirt cheap on Buffalo Craigslist... but I fell in love with the black box.

I have been a game collector since I was in high school and tried for a complete sega saturn us collection, using my pizza delivery money to buy clearance games once saturn went out of style.  Funny I still don't own panzer dragoon saga either...  but about 150 other games.

Anyway, I will keep keeping on, and will hope MC gets in the hands of some good people and dare I say... someone that would even play the game!  If I found one sealed at a flea market on the cheap, I would open that sucker right up.

BlackandBlue

Unless you bought every copy you could to hoard them and then sell them off one by one for an astronimical profit, then you aren't really part of them problem.  I don't know the whole story, but do know the gist of it.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

TheClash603

Quote from: BlackandBlue on 01/09/2010, 11:28 AMUnless you bought every copy you could to hoard them and then sell them off one by one for an astronimical profit, then you aren't really part of them problem.  I don't know the whole story, but do know the gist of it. 
Hah!  I thought that was only a TG16 urban legend...  well I am all for solving this problem via torch and pitchfork w/ an angry mob...  who's with me?

exodus

I bought mine for $6. incomplete though.

esteban

Quote from: exodus on 01/09/2010, 05:41 PMI bought mine for $6. incomplete though.
I'll take it off your hands. I'll even let you squeeze 1000% profit out of me. To what paypal account can I send $66?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

exodus

haha. I have no desire to sell it. it's a good game! but I presumed that was a joke :)
also unless I forget how math works (which I very well may) that's not 1000%

mrhaboobi

Well add my name to the list, i am however very luck to have the hu, after many many years of looking im just after the outer box.. I managed to find a loose manual and a loose hu ( from japan of all places ).. but now the box, ive been looking for a few years now. :) i'm of course kicking myself for passing up complete copies of the game for under $300 years ago.. i figured that was insane!.. still is.. but i guess some people are prepared to pay a minor fortune..   And of course not living in teh US makes it just that bit harder to find.. give up on ebay really, the few times ive had a chance a finding the game hidden in an auction with no mention of the game, somoene else came along and bid huge..  still cant get over that one guy who bought every game i ever bid on.. inflated the prices no end.. he tried to do the same thing with bonk 3 cd aswell..  So if someone has a loose box by all means come send me a pm ;)

i should also point out this is the last box i need, and aside from one or two hu cards ive done the complete us collection.  was a mission again because im not in the us :)
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

TheClash603

Well I am not a box guy, but I feel your pain.  At least you get to play the game!

mrhaboobi

ahh boxes.. i cant understand why i spend so much money on some coloured cardboard
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

alexsduo

So what is the real story of MC?  It reminds me of those brothers in the 80's who bought all the silver in the US.  They raised the price to a crazy level, and then it dropped significantly... Now, to most normal people I would never compare a single video game to silver, but you y'all, I gotta be real.  It is a huge commodity, and low end most of would pay an amount our friends and family would think is looney... On wikipedia , there is really no mention of how rare it is, or how many copies exist, or anything like that, not that I trust wikipedia all that much...

I hope that the prices go down, cause we all want one!  It is like gold right now, many people are selling it, but the demand (from consumers) is probably not that great.  Now cash for gold and other bs, will buy anything and melt it down... Only a specific group of people, probably similarly aged, hold MC to be very dear...

Furthermore, I think there should be a list of people who sell MC on ebay, and we should keep a "police blotter" of them.  They are the problem, but it is a very very popular and rare game to ravenous collectors..

I would love to set up a bootleg shop to only make magical chase games, and then only sell them on ebay with a bunch of other carts, :)

I need about 10-12 to complete my collection, but magical chase will most likely be the last....
Manuals needed: Airzonk
hu: MC, PCE: Zero Wing

nectarsis

Quote from: alexsduo on 01/22/2010, 02:14 AMI hope that the prices go down, cause we all want one! 

I would love to set up a bootleg shop to only make magical chase games, and then only sell them on ebay with a bunch of other carts, :)
There's more than a few of us that could care less about MC, and feels it's not much above average.  I'll prob get it eventually, but more than likely the PCE version IF I find a good deal.   Rarity is the main (not only) draw for this game.  If it was as common as Ordyne, or Blazing Lazers it would wouldn't be talked about anywhere near as often.

Boots= FAIL.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nectarsis

Quote from: guest on 01/22/2010, 11:23 AM
Quote from: nectarsis on 01/22/2010, 10:35 AMBoots= FAIL.
Meh, I'm glad that I have my Sapphire boot.
Ok I'll agree there lol.  I meant more Boot Hueys.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SignOfZeta

Quote from: alexsduo on 01/22/2010, 02:14 AMSo what is the real story of MC? 
Well, this is just my theory, but basically US collectors don't have a very large selection of games to latch onto, so due to the relative scarcity and overall goodness of the game they decided via their huge, spendaholic hive mind that MC would be the thing they will pay FUCKING ANYTHING for, which lead to a upward spiral of price escalation. Some heathens broke off from The Hive and decided they could settle for JP copy of the game, a game they never would have even noticed if not for the US release. This, by proxy, drove the price of the Japanese version to at least twice what it would be going for if there never was such a thing as the TG-16 despite there being ultimately more copies out there. I have no doubt that NEC had passed on the US market, like they passed on Europe, that you'd be able to get a copy of the JP version of MC for about the same as a copy of Hanatakadaka! or Cotton.
IMG

alexsduo

Yea, there is one one ebay for like 175, but that is too much for the Japanese game... I would like to play it non-emulated, so if anyone is in Chicago who has a copy, let me know!!!

Sparky

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/23/2010, 01:30 AMWell, this is just my theory, but basically US collectors don't have a very large selection of games to latch onto, so due to the relative scarcity and overall goodness of the game they decided via their huge, spendaholic hive mind that MC would be the thing they will pay FUCKING ANYTHING for,
Thank goodness that is your theory which i have heard over and over and......
There are some ass hat collectors out there for the US games i agree but come on man let up a little, so much hate.

maybe start a hate club zeta... this could be you (insert US TG16 Logo) :P

IMG

alexsduo

I hear that... I have yet to find anything about the number of MCs out there... I have 93 of the US turbo grafx games now, obviously missing Magical Chase.  I had two fall through my hands, probably because I did not want to pony up... But, I know I am ready now. 

Has anyone been able to verify the 2k number released?  I guess that makes sense, if there are 2000 copies, and say 75% of them are in the USA, there are 1500 copies, and divide that by 50, each state in the union has around 30 copies.  Further include into the mix the fact that many of them are lost, destroyed, or hoarded by collectors and sold at a huge premium... I guess that sounds reasonable...

I love how the PC engines are on ebay (and gameboy) all day long... Last time I checked the bastards on ebay charge to list stuff, and if you keep posting them and not selling, you are wasting money, and may not break even if you list it long enough.  They typically sell for like $100 when the dust settles...

nat

I think 3,000 is a more accurate number, which came from someone at TTi. I think that's about as close as we'll ever get to a verification.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

alexsduo

Interesting.... 3000 is still a decent number, but I guess a lot of them are lost or hidden or something... Or a few of those collectors bought them all up... At this point I am desperate to get MC, I would sell a lot of my collection or trade it, but I just can't find it anywhere...

It is kind of a reoccurring dream, that I find a loose copy of magical chase whilst I am thrifting, and it is like a couple bucks..

nat

Quote from: alexsduo on 11/15/2010, 02:01 AMInteresting.... 3000 is still a decent number, but I guess a lot of them are lost or hidden or something... Or a few of those collectors bought them all up... At this point I am desperate to get MC, I would sell a lot of my collection or trade it, but I just can't find it anywhere...
How long have you been looking? The game shows up on eBay pretty regularly, and on here every now and then. It isn't all that "rare" in the world of Turbo from a production run standpoint. Compared to a copy of Super Mario Bros., sure, but compared to something like Order of the Griffon or New Adventure Island... not at all. It's actually said that OotG and MC had identical production numbers. The problem is that people tend to hold on to their copies of MC a little more than games like NAI or OotG because of the [ridiculous] perceived "market value."

I don't think many [any?] copies have been "lost" or "hidden." MC has been more expensive than the rest of the US Turbo library for like 10 years. Unfortunately, it has also been the victim of its own reputation. It has this whole hype built around its, uh, "legend" for lack of a better word in an endless feedback loop that keeps driving the price higher year after year, lately at an exponential rate.

The Magical Chase situation is a real-life predestination paradox.

geise

I would say that Magical Chase for Windows PC is the most "uncommon" Magical Chase out there.  That surprisingly (when found) doesn't go for all that much at all.

MotherGunner

I saw the GameBoy version go for an astronomical price too once.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

TheClash603

I want the PC version, I didn't know it existed.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: nat on 01/08/2010, 10:49 PMIt's only been within the past year that the game skyrocketed to the ridiculous price it now fetches. Certain people (they know who they are) can be thanked for playing a part in that.

Who are those people?

nat

SignOfZeta

Quote from: geise on 11/15/2010, 12:46 PMI would say that Magical Chase for Windows PC is the most "uncommon" Magical Chase out there.  That surprisingly (when found) doesn't go for all that much at all.
Probably because Americans don't know it exists.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/16/2010, 10:49 PMProbably because Americans don't know it exists.
Or because there's roughly eight people that actively collect Windows PC games.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

RoyVegas

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 12/16/2010, 10:09 PM
Quote from: nat on 01/08/2010, 10:49 PMIt's only been within the past year that the game skyrocketed to the ridiculous price it now fetches. Certain people (they know who they are) can be thanked for playing a part in that.

Who are those people?
I was part of the cause and I can own up to it.  I sold 3 of them (a loosie, a game+manual+sparky case and a complete boxed copy) for high amounts.
All is well. :)

oldskool

Yup, it's all your fault Roy.  Fucking prick.

Sparky

SignOfZeta

Quote from: oldskool on 12/17/2010, 06:10 PMYup, it's all your fault Roy.  Fucking prick.
Its only partially the fault of this fucking prick. People were paying $100+ for this game well before he was around. Yeah, I know, $100 seems like a great price now, but that's only because of our current (warped) perspective. A B- TG-16 game should't cost $100, it should cost $10. The real problem are completists. Hardcore cute-um-up fans exist, but most people buying this game don't give a shit about it. They only want it because they can't easily have it. They must have the US version, they must have the box, THEY MUST HAVE IT.

Its the same sort of shit that has people paying $4000 for Neo Turf Masters (Neo Geo, US, AES) when if they really actually cared about the software (few people do in this case) they could get the exact same software (exact since its Neo Geo, same ROM, same factory, same manufacturing date, only the book and stickers are different, and those are extremely similar baring the language) on a cart from another region or an MVS cart. They will pay thousands for the right sticker. These people are pathetic.

Granted, the AES crowd makes the TG-16 scene look like an outdoor flea market...but its the same concept, just taken to an extreme. You guys are all enabling each other. You're either going to have to pay off This Fucking Prick or be patient and wait for the prices to go down. All these guys sell off their collections eventually, you can wait your turn or pay to have it NOW NOW NOW. Hundreds of people have owned a Ferrari 250 GTO, even though only 39 were ever made. They change hands constantly.

Of course people like This Fucking Prick see all this fucked up shit and say, "Damn! I want in on that action!" and make it worse...which is pretty terrible. After living through the Crazy Dion era though he comes off as total bush league. Selling one's self out for nothing...reminds me of "Jackie" on Reno 911. Charging $2 to kick a guy in the nuts or something like that. You don't know who's more messed up, and hooker or the john...or which is which, but both throw away their dignity for nothing.
IMG

nat

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/17/2010, 10:01 PMAll these guys sell off their collections eventually, you can wait your turn or pay to have it NOW NOW NOW.
That's totally it, too. I've spent 20+ years working on my Turbo collection and I've probably spent less on the whole thing than most of these johnny-come-lately Turbo "collectors" spent on a single game (Magical Chase or Dynastic Hero). It's the whole "gotta have it now" mentality and it's not limited to video game collectors. It all stems from the state of society today; we live in an "instant gratification" era. It's depressing, and not just because of the effect it has had on the video game market.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, the TG-16 /PC Engine games I have that I spend the most money on are the ones I bought new in the store when they came out. Back then that really was the lowest price you could get things for!
IMG

spenoza

Hey now, I wouldn't call Magical Chase a B- game. I'd call it an A game. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, and from a mechanical standpoint it's not the best designed shooter ever, but from the standpoint of graphics, audio, and simply being a well-designed game, it's certainly a solid title.

The thing is, rarity alone is a definite boost to value, but if it's a rare dog that limits the upper price range. I think part of the price inflation has to do with the fact that Magical Chase is a fun game that looks and sounds great on top of being ass rare.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, its a combination of both factors. I'm pretty sure Nightmare Creatures and Darkwing Duck are at least as rare.
IMG

nat

Sparky

Quote from: nat on 12/18/2010, 04:38 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/17/2010, 10:01 PMAll these guys sell off their collections eventually, you can wait your turn or pay to have it NOW NOW NOW.
That's totally it, too. I've spent 20+ years working on my Turbo collection and I've probably spent less on the whole thing than most of these johnny-come-lately Turbo "collectors" spent on a single game (Magical Chase or Dynastic Hero). It's the whole "gotta have it now" mentality and it's not limited to video game collectors. It all stems from the state of society today; we live in an "instant gratification" era. It's depressing, and not just because of the effect it has had on the video game market.
Its almost a waste even posting that nat, as we are looked at by this want it NOW crew as old school.... gamers/collectors out of touch with the true market value which is ebay.  These fuckers have all the answers as they know buying it NOW is money in the bank as it will only go up in price later right???  :roll:

One thing i do enjoy with ebay is when the market value fucks the sellers right in the face and they get less then expected and they whine and whimper about it... poor little lambs... <<sips wine>>

EDIT: hahaha.. always an ebay rant from me when i can :P

Lilgrafx

Its a damn shame people will pay $1000+ for the game, because it looks like a great shoot'em up. I love all the vibrant colors in it.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, anyone buying games as an investment needs to learn some basic economics. In the short term, sure, but anyone buying MC for a grand thinking it will someday be worth $3000...its not impossible, but its HIGHLY unlikely. It will probably be $150 in ten years and stay there forever. All collector scenes go through boom and bust. We're near a peak with most of these prices. I sold a Furby on eBay for $140 in 1998 (long story) they now go for less than retail.

I'm interested in seeing if this thing with people collecting only US games (currently TG-16 and Neo Geo, but it might be spreading) will burn out completely or if its here to stay. I find that very strange. It would be one thing if games for these systems were actually made in the US, but they shit's all Japanese by nature. The US versions are tainted, artistically, IMO, in the case of TG-16. As someone who actively imported in the 90s I eventually stopped buying US games completely because the selection sucked. In the case of the Neo they are irrelevant since there is no such thing as a localization of a Neo Geo game (usually). All regions are programed into the original game.

I wonder if there is a US Saturn scene brewing right now in the primordial soup of stupidity...dudes looking for reply cards and copies of Bug Too! with no cracks in the case...fuck, that would be sad. It would make more sense though, in a way, since there are a lot of US exclusive Saturn games, some actually decent.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 12/18/2010, 09:35 PMIts a damn shame people will pay $1000+ for the game, because it looks like a great shoot'em up. I love all the vibrant colors in it.
Yeah, I'm one of the people who like cute games in general and enjoy this one for what it is. Make sure you play Cotton, Zonk (HuCard), Parodious, and Hana Taka Daka!?, far more affordable shooters that are also colorful.
IMG

TheClash603

I am a US Sega Saturn collector, because that was my favorite system growing up.  I was a big fan of the NES as a kid, but then the 16-bit era kinda sucked to me.  At that time, I was always at the arcade, and could care less about home systems.  When the PSX and Saturn came out, Saturn was leaps and bounds better, and home gaming was back.  To this day, this is my favorite system.

I am buying up Saturn games, and my only requests are that they are complete and cheap.  A lot of my games have rental stickers on them, or UPC codes cut out.  That's actually better to me, as long as they play, because I am all about getting games on the cheap.  I am averaging about $5 per game for this system, which is pretty decent.

Anyway, I think US games are better, because I like the story in game and in the manuals, and I like to read what's going on.  I do not read Japanese, nor do I have any intention in doing so, so US games are infinitely better for this reason.  If I were able to read Japanese, I suppose I would be on your side, but I cannot.  I hope that you can...  or else your opinion is confusing to me.

RoyVegas

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/17/2010, 10:01 PMIts only partially the fault of this fucking prick.
Actually Oldskool could give two shits either way.  He said it in jest.
All is well. :)

Lilgrafx

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/18/2010, 09:50 PMI'm interested in seeing if this thing with people collecting only US games (currently TG-16 and Neo Geo, but it might be spreading) will burn out completely or if its here to stay. I find that very strange. It would be one thing if games for these systems were actually made in the US, but they shit's all Japanese by nature. The US versions are tainted, artistically, IMO, in the case of TG-16. As someone who actively imported in the 90s I eventually stopped buying US games completely because the selection sucked. In the case of the Neo they are irrelevant since there is no such thing as a localization of a Neo Geo game (usually). All regions are programed into the original game.
If this group does stay around the price of the US version could stay high for a while =(. I just recently started collecting TurboGrafx games and i guess you could say im part of this crowd. But the reason ive only collected US games is because thats all ive been introduced to here in the US. But I think im going to have to make my first import with cotton.