OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Atari Jaguar/3DO has good games?!

Started by Ceti Alpha, 06/28/2010, 12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceti Alpha

I was talking with a friend of mine a couple days ago and the Jaguar was brought up. He was mentioning these war simulators that we used to play back in the late 90s. I remember them being quite good and being blown away by the animated battle sequences. I did a 30 second Google search for them, but came up with nothing. heh Just wondering if anybody here knows what games these could be.  :-k

EDIT: I changed the title of the thread because it might have been the 3DO that he was thinking and is just remembering wrong.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Opethian

3DO: Star controller

Jaguar: AvP

not sure the systems had any other games worth owning ^_^
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Opethian on 06/28/2010, 02:56 PM3DO: Star controller

Jaguar: AvP

not sure the systems had any other games worth owning ^_^
haha. OK, I guess the proper term for the category of game would be "turn-based strategy".
IMG

SignOfZeta

Each of those systems is shit, but they have one good game each: Power Drive Rally (Jag) and Return Fire (3DO).

Anyone who says anything else nice about those systems is just one of those slobs that collects crappy, looser, black, vaguely American game machines and has no ability to tell chocolate from shit. They almost certainly own a CDi, which they also have nice things to say about. And live in a stinky old firetrap trailer with fake wood paneling.

Also, they have a complete collection of every pre-32-bit Mortal Kombat released, and a copy of Grand Theft Auto 3 that reeks intensely of cigarettes and milk.

And they kiss their sister.

And their favorite game of all time is Thrill Kill.

If they are of the elite branch, they may also have an AES, but the only game they own is 3 Count Bout. Also, they probably own a TG-16 because they see it is a similar sort of thing to the CDi, Jag, and 3DO because it too was a huge flop...but they are wrong. It is not related!

None of this is open to interpretation or debate. I am %100 correct. You know these sorts of people, you know you do.
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/28/2010, 03:15 PMNone of this is open to interpretation or debate. I am %100 correct. You know these sorts of people, you know you do.
Woa! haha That's quite the position you're taking. I can't say I can dispute you, though. lol

Well, when these systems first came out we rented them just to see what they were like, but none of my friends own them, nor wish to buy them.
IMG

NecroPhile

Baldies had pretty cool cut scenes, but I don't recall any particularly impressive battle sequences.  Plus, while the Jaguar had quite a few real-time strategy games, such as Cannon Fodder, Syndicate, and the aforementioned Baldies, I can't think of a single turn-based strategy title (unless you stretch your definition to include Worms), so the games you're thinking of were likely on the 3DO.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/28/2010, 03:15 PMEach of those systems is shit, but they have one good game each: Power Drive Rally (Jag) and Return Fire (3DO).

Anyone who says anything else nice about those systems is just one of those slobs that collects crappy, looser, black, vaguely American game machines and has no ability to tell chocolate from shit.
The existence of Tempest 2000 has rendered your condescending argument entirely moot.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

td741

Umm...

Well, depends on perspective.  I did enjoy some 3D0 games back around release and there were a few okay Jaguar games as well.

Of course, the main problem is that a lot of the games didn't age well.  I find a lot of the 3D0 3D games are a bit jerky in terms of frame-rates.  (FIFA Soccer was awesome when it just came out, but not it's a bit of a jerky mess...)  Oh, and some of the better games were ported to other systems. ;)

Some of the 3D0 games that come to mind as ones that might still be playable and I don't think have been ported:
- Twisted (fun with more then one player... still play this one occasionally with my wife).
- Road Rash 3D0
- Guardian War (Turned Based "strategy" using "Golems")

Jaguar:
- Iron Soldier
- Tempest 2000

Hmm...  I guess I could look through the ones that I own.

SignOfZeta

Tempest 2000 is also on PS and SS, and just as good. I'm pretty sure Road Rash 3D was ported to one or both of these systems too. I've heard the port isn't as good, but I'm no expert since...well, EVERY copy of Road Rash smells like cigaettes and milk, know what I mean?

Iron Soldier: this game is the definition of "aged poorly". See also: Guardian War. I mean, seriously, you can't actually say that you' ever play these games, can you?

As for condescending...sorry, I don' t know what you're talking about.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/28/2010, 05:29 PMTempest 2000 is also on PS and SS, and just as good.
So if it ain't exclusive, then it's shit.  :roll:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

Not at all, but if the only decent games you have exclusive, and then they become non-exclusive, then what do you have? Rayman was fucking rad when it came out, but when it hit SS and PS it was obvious that its rad-ness had nothing to do with Atari.

Return Fire is also on PS, but it is better on 3DO because the Jeep is still a Jeep and not a stupid Humvee. The unreleased Saturn version had the Jeep as well, but it requires a mod chip or emulator or whatever to play, so its advantage 3DO in this case.
IMG

TheClash603

Although I have not spent much time with the 3DO (although a friend of mine had it, and the only game we ever played was an awesome Street Fight 2 Turbo), I have played quite a bit of Jaguar in my day.

There are a slew of pretty good games such as Flip Out!, Alien Vs. Predator, NBA Jam TE (probably the best home port), Doom (minus the lack of music, best on a home system at that time), Rayman, Raiden, and Tempest 2000.  Each of these games have gotten quite a bit of play time out of me.

I have also heard Atari Karts, Ruiner Pinball, and Total Carnage are quite good, but I never have played these games.

Joe Redifer

Zeta's post is made of pure awesome.  I think the only good game for the Jag is Tempest 2000.  There are no good games for the CD attachment.  I have never played Power Drive Rally.  The good games for the 3DO are Return Fire (can be had on the PS1) and, ummm, hold on, I'll think of something... oh yeah, Road Rash!  You can also get that on the PS1, but the 3DO version is ever-so-slightly better.  One of the 3DO's most favorite things to do was load.  It couldn't do it enough.  It had a 1/2000 speed CD drive.  It loaded about 8 bits of data per second.  The technology in the machine was really poor.  Let's not forget about the limited amount of save space with no way to expand it.  And the super-shitty controllers.  It also had a game called Way of the Warrior programmed by Naughty Dog of Uncharted 2 fame.  Unfortunately, the game is a big steaming pile of poo and anyone who even moderately appreciates it probably molests their children.

SignOfZeta

Virtual House, or whatever it was called, was a LOAD MONSTER.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TopicAtari Jaguar/3DO has good games?!
No.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

i have like a shit load of 3DO games, but can't think of more than 3 good gems -> Super Street Fighter 2 X, Samurai shodown, puzzle bobble...

anything else from the 3DO fraction?  :P
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

Those aren't even real 3DO games.  You can get the same games done just as well or better on other platforms.

Also, Gex on 3DO runs like shit compared to the Playstation and Saturn versions.  The frame rate seems choppy because the 3DO is so goddamned wimpy that it can only scroll the 2D backgrounds at 30fps or so whereas they scroll at 60fps on the Saturn and PS.  The 3DO is such a loser system.  Trip Hawkins deserves chronic diarrhea for even thinking of it.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/28/2010, 11:33 PMThose aren't even real 3DO games.  You can get the same games done just as well or better on other platforms.
You are right. Still those are the best I can think of.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

blueraven

I can't Believe this thread exists.

The only decent game between the two systems is Alien vs. Predator for the Jaguar. Youtube it if you's like

If you haven't seen Way of the Warrior:   ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
:-s Everyone reading this thread should just play turbo.

SignOfZeta

Unless you are a fan of grainy low-fi vintage FPS (is anyone) AvP has, like most of these things, run its course.

Return Fire is every bit as fun as it was back in the day though. They should make a Wiiware version of that thing...
IMG

Joe Redifer

Oh man, i had forgotten how horrible the music in Way of the Warrior was.  Perhaps the worst music in any videogame?

blueraven

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/29/2010, 02:49 AMOh man, i had forgotten how horrible the music in Way of the Warrior was.  Perhaps the worst music in any videogame? 
Craptastic. The metal band sounds drunk. Perhaps that is why they looped the drummer after one fill. Also, notice how Crimson Glory jumps 20 feet in the air despite cankles and a beer gut.

CrackTiger

If you can appreciate a version of a game on a console even if better versions exist elsewhere, I had a lot of fun with Wolfenstein 3D on both Jaguar and 3DO, but the 3DO version looked so much better. Doom on Jaguar is also cool. Raiden and Rayman are two more solid Jaguar games. 3DO also has Puzzle Bobble, Samurai Showdown, Super Street Fighter II X and Policenauts and the Policenauts "Pilot disk" (or what ever it's called). Policenauts 3DO is a little different than the Playstation and Saturn versions. I believe that it has the Snatcher style talking heads, which alone makes it worth playing.

I think that the 3DO version of Flashback is supposed to be the best on consoles. There's also Out of This World which I'm sure is a solid port, but I seem to remember that there's something about it.

Cannon Fodder is supposed to be good and I believe that it's on both systems. People have said good things about The Horde for 3DO, another sim game that I gave up on after half an hour (but I don't like sims). The Incredible Machine for 3DO looks like it could be a lot of fun if you spend enough time with it.

Jaguar has Worms and 3DO has Lemmings.

The game I bought a 3DO for and which didn't disappoint is Lucienne's Quest. It was probably the first 3D "JRPG" that came out over here. There's Saturn port (Swords & Sorcery), but it's not nearly as good.

QuoteOh man, i had forgotten how horrible the music in Way of the Warrior was.  Perhaps the worst music in any videogame?
I believe that White Zombie did some or all of the soundtrack. Probably pre-La Sexorcisto by the sounds of it.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

td741

Super Burnout was pretty decent Hang-On rip-off on the Jag...  The graphics are good (if not very varied) and the music is pretty good.  Too bad the 2 player option was crippled. ;)

I haven't played much 3D0 in the past few years so my memory is a bit fuzzy.  (The last thing I did play was Twisted, which I think still works.  But it's not a game to play solo. ;))

Ceti Alpha

I'm guessing that maybe the game I'm thinking of was Baldies.  :-k Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me and I'm remembering the game to be better than it really is. heh
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

Kasumi Ninja on Jag is far superior to Way of the Warrior on 3Do.

Also I picked up Out of this World for 3Do a few months back for $1.  But I don't have a 3Do to play it on :C  That should play pretty smoothly!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

oldskool

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/29/2010, 02:49 AMOh man, i had forgotten how horrible the music in Way of the Warrior was.  Perhaps the worst music in any videogame? 
the whole game is horrible.

Those PC-FX 3D Tech prototypes are better games, lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

geise

Quote from: guest on 06/29/2010, 04:08 AMThe game I bought a 3DO for and which didn't disappoint is Lucienne's Quest. It was probably the first 3D "JRPG" that came out over here. There's Saturn port (Swords & Sorcery), but it's not nearly as good.
Thank god someone finally mentioned Lucienne's Quest!  I also own the Saturn version and yes I like the 3DO version over the Saturn.  It's a great game that should be owned if you own a 3DO or a Saturn.  I think I bought the Saturn version for $3 off ebay years ago.  Microcabin did some decent games on the 3DO.

I prefer Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar over the PSX or Saturn versions.  I think the sound is better to me plus it's on a cart and not a CD.  Yak is the programmer on all of the ports of Tempest 2000, even he prefers his Jaguar port.  He did the whole damn game by himself.  He's an amazing programmer and did some great stuff back in the Atari ST and Amiga days.  I was blown away when I first played Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar.   Rayman was also first on the Jaguar and was just as good to me as the psx and saturn ports.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: geise on 06/30/2010, 08:54 AMMicrocabin did some decent games on the 3DO.
That is because you could give Microcabin a toaster and magic markers and they'll make the best video game ever out of it. lol.

Those people are all aliens sent back in time to give us kick-ass games (with nice FM music where applicable)

Tatsujin

I will play my 3DO this WE. This will be a feast :lol:

Arkhan Asylum

blueraven

Ceti Alpha

IMG

Tatsujin