10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Goin on vacation

Started by Gogan, 07/07/2010, 08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gogan

Since I'm leavin for vacation on Friday, thought I'd start a thread where people local to the destination can recommend things to do/see.

I'm goin to England and Scotland, more specifically London, Liverpool, Edinborough, and Glasgow. Can anyone living close to/already visited these destinations recommend anything cool to see? Any turbo goodness to find? I will have plenty of cash to blow :D
Nothin beats the real thing.

ParanoiaDragon

Well, I'm headed to London, but not till January.  We'll probably see alot of museums, hit a pub or 2, check out Stone Henge, I forget what else.  We still need to get our passports before we book the flight n' stuff though, hopefully get that done this weekend.
IMG

Gogan

I would love to go to Stonehenge. Might have to make some time for that...

I know we are going to Liverpool, specifically the Cavern Club which is where the Beatles played their first gigs.

That should be pretty coolas I'm a big Beatles fan

guyjin

I'm going to GenCon in the first week of August.

Sparky

Quote from: Gogan on 07/07/2010, 08:28 AMSince I'm leavin for vacation on Friday, thought I'd start a thread where people local to the destination can recommend things to do/see.

I'm goin to England and Scotland, more specifically London, Liverpool, Edinborough, and Glasgow. Can anyone living close to/already visited these destinations recommend anything cool to see? Any turbo goodness to find? I will have plenty of cash to blow :D
I am on holidays as well on friday but not doing anything as exciting as that...this celtic :dance: would love to go there 1 day and Ireland. Hit those pubs and find that pot of turbo gold.

Gogan

currently in Suffolk, England. been a great trip so far, takin lots of pics....

Went to Liverpool where we checked out the Cavern Club, Stirling England for the Stirling Castle, then headed over to Scotland where we went to Edinburgh. Awesome city with tons of history, hit up Edinburgh castle and these underground tunnels that sealed in people during the plague, good stuff.

Heading to London in a couple days.....

ParanoiaDragon

My father in law was shocked last nite, learning that I hate beer(I thought he already knew), & he specifically wants to take me to a pub or 2 there.  As long as I can have a hard drink, or hell, even some fufu drinks(you know, the ones that are basically soda with a dash of alchohol), I'll be fine, so, hopefully there's something they serve in these pubs that I'll enjoy.
IMG

NecroPhile

Scotch should be a sure bet in any pub.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gogan

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/19/2010, 02:27 AMAs long as I can have a hard drink, or hell, even some fufu drinks(you know, the ones that are basically soda with a dash of alchohol), I'll be fine, so, hopefully there's something they serve in these pubs that I'll enjoy.
alot of people drink ciders here, which are a bit too sweet for my tastes, but buzz you up all the same. (whisky is my preference, and it is very plentiful)

ParanoiaDragon

I don't think I've ever had scotch now that I think about it, & the only cider I've had is just the regular non-alchy apple cider.  Atleast I have options though!
IMG

blueraven

Go to the Tower of London, see the ravens as big as cats. Also, check out Madame Tussads Wax museum. If you have time, Royal Albert Hall is cool, where all of the bands (Led Zepplin, Hendrix, etc.) played bitd. You can get matinee tickets at Her Majesty's Theater for a reasonable price, (15 pounds, ish?) and the late night fish-and-chips will really kick your ass. London's food carts are awesome If you know what to look for, (steak sandwiches, falafel, bangers and mash, etc.). The street food was reeeeealy good when I was there, possibly better than most of the restaurants I ate at. 

Baker street is covered with all sorts of crazy Sherlock Holmes stuff, and the Burger King has a bowling alley in the basement. The address in the Sir Arthur's book is a law firm...

JoshTurboTrollX

/dempster.gif

Returned from a 13 day road trip from our home to North of the Arctic Circle!!  While I won't say this is a trip for everyone, I will say we had a blast doing something that I suspect many people wouldn't even think of doing.  We left home on Saturday morning (June 18th) got to the Alaskan Hwy by the 20th, and started down a two day journey down the Dempster Hwy on Wednesday the 22nd.  We arrived in Inuvik, NWT and stayed in 'The Arctic Chalet' Twilight Cabin for two days and started back home on that Saturday the 25th.  We camped most of the way up and all the way back.  Found some really nice camping sites with showers, bathrooms, running water at the sites and some even had wifi!
IMG
The weather never really changed much, the hottest day of our trip was actually in Inuvik, where the high was 91 degrees!  The scenery never really changed much either, till we hit the Alaskan Highway.  Roads traveling through mountains with wildlife all around (Bear, Moose, Elk, Sheep, Bison, and even Wild horses) Everyone should experience driving the Alaskan Highway.  The Dempster was a challenge.  its over 500 miles of gravel road, I could see how it's not for everyone as people often experience, flat tires, cracked windshields or even broken axles.  We came away with some rocks getting into our break pads, and inside our tire rims, and a nasty crack in our windshield.
IMG
IMG
The drive was worth it, and we got to see scenery and places that I'm not sure I even knew existed.  The top of Mt. Ogilvie really felt like we were on top of the world.  It was like we could see forever.  And also standing on the Arctic Circle was pretty cool.
IMG
IMG
The Sun never set from June 21st till we started on our drive back down on June 28th.  It was kind of trippy, but it helped with the late night driving.  Seeing the clock say 1:00 AM and looking up at the sun  shining like it was noon.  O_O
IMG
IMG
All in all, I'd say everyone should drive the Alaskan Highway, total blast, it's great for family vacations or even just joy rides.  We saw people hiking, walking, and biking it.  Even one dude walking pulling a giant cart.  Not sure what that was all about, I think it was a protest of sorts...
IMG
Anyway, thought I'd share!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

roflmao

NecroPhile

Nice, TurbobStar.  I took a similar trip back in the mid 90s, except we went on into Alaska and drove North out of Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle.  'Twas good fun with lots of bear, caribou, and fucking huge mosquitoes.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

RR1980

nice trip turbostar! it also kinda reminds me of that guy from Alberta who drove to Alaska to meet Sarah Palin before she resigned as the governor at some event and had her signed his xbox360 and then he put it on ebay for like $20,000? hehe

TheClash603

Turbostar, looks like a great trip.

I am making my way to LA for the first time in Sept, which is my gf trip.  Guy trip was Memphis, Nrw Orleans, Houston, and Dallas in May.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 07/05/2011, 12:19 PMThe scenery never really changed much either, till we hit the Alaskan Highway.  Roads traveling through mountains with wildlife all around (Bear, Moose, Elk, Sheep, Bison, and even Wild horses) Everyone should experience driving the Alaskan Highway. 
That seems to indicate a distinct lack of Sasquaches.
--DragonmasterDan

blueraven

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/06/2011, 07:27 AMThat seems to indicate a distinct lack of Sasquaches.
That must've been.... Cold.

IMG

VestCunt

Nice pictures Turbostar!  Thanks for posting.
Topic Adjourned.

guyjin

looks like it was awesome Turbostar - I wanna make a trip like that someday. And the Turbobmobile makes me :D

JoshTurboTrollX

Thanks for the kind comments guys,

A month later, and I'm finally done editing down about 4 hours of video to a youtube playlist:

For those interested in watching a bunch of 'from the car' view videos of some awesome scenery and animals check out:
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

RR1980

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: RR1980 on 08/18/2011, 11:14 AMtimbits!
for the fucking win!!  Greatest doughnut joint on earth!!

hoobs88

I had this week off from work but only have 2 planned roadtrips. I'm going to this place tomorrow
http://www.pinballwizardarcade.com/

and Martha's Vineyard on Saturday.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

blueraven

Went to the Redwoods in the Santa Cruz mountains in California.

Much needed R&R.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TheClash603

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/18/2011, 11:24 AM
Quote from: RR1980 on 08/18/2011, 11:14 AMtimbits!
for the fucking win!!  Greatest doughnut joint on earth!!
I used to think so, then in about 2000 they got rid of Timbits of the double chocolate variety because of cost.  Fuck that, those were the best!  Now I just go to Dickies instead.

Anyway, I am making my way to Alaska in September, instead of LA.   Talk about a change of plans.