Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VestCunt

Quote from: SMF on 05/26/2012, 03:31 AMBaseball cards are not what they once was, But if you have a MJ Rookie card youll still get top dollar for it, Same thing with Comic books. Action Comic goes for over a million.
+1
The classic stuff never comes down in price. When collectible markets crash, it's because speculators assume new shit will become just as collectible as the old shit and start hoarding products off the shelf. As soon as that happens, companies up their production runs and initiate all kinds of gimmicks to appeal to collectors. That's why baseball cards from the '80s aren't worth anything, why comics from the Nineties aren't worth anything, and why new Magic Cards and Transformers aren't worth anything. Thus, prices for that SMB Wii collection and other modern games with "deluxe", "premium" and "limited editions" and will come down, but the 16-bit era stuff won't; especially TG16 games with 500 copies in existence.
Topic Adjourned.

bartre

yeah, i think it's going to take a while, but the "bubble" will burst, i've had almost no luck selling NES systems on craigslist the past few times i've tried, but a year ago, they were gone in a week at most.
i think a lot of it is just people wanting to play what they had as kids, and they'll be done with it eventually, and just want to get rid of it.
that's how i've got a lot of the "rare" snes games for as cheap as i did.

VestCunt

Quote from: bartre on 05/26/2012, 03:28 PMyeah, i think it's going to take a while, but the "bubble" will burst, i've had almost no luck selling NES systems on craigslist the past few times i've tried, but a year ago, they were gone in a week at most.
i think a lot of it is just people wanting to play what they had as kids, and they'll be done with it eventually, and just want to get rid of it.
that's how i've got a lot of the "rare" snes games for as cheap as i did.
I agree, but we have to make a distinction between mainstream retro and obscure/cult retro.

Common NES/SNES/SG shit will plateau or drop in price. It was mass produced and, like you said, the majority of buyers right now are interested in nostalgia, not amassing CIB libraries (although there are plenty of those collectors out there).

The TG16 scene doesn't have that. No, we're in the boat with Working Designs, Sega Saturn, late-period NES stuff, Earthbound, and all of that other crap that attracts insane collectors. The TG was obscure to begin with and fewer units were made. We've got a couple of noobs reconnecting with their youth, but most of our scene is split between old-school diehards and collectors attracted to the TG's obscurity and small library. The people buying stuff now aren't casual, NES-talgia gamers who will dump it again in a few years.
Topic Adjourned.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2012, 07:20 PMThe TG was obscure to begin with and fewer units were made. We've got a couple of noobs reconnecting with their youth, but most of our scene is split between old-school diehards and collectors attracted to the TG's obscurity and small library. The people buying stuff now aren't casual, NES-talgia gamers who will dump it again in a few years.
I feel I'm qualified to reply to this considering I'm one of the newest noobs AND an old die-hard gamer (38 years old and counting).  I'm coming into this 'retro' thing late while most of you have been doing it for 5 to 10+ years.  Me, I'm about 60 days in.  I've already collected all the pieces from my youth, but it's become a passion *cough* obsession *cough* for me to try and build a decent collection of games for the TG-16.  The main reason I'm collecting is to reconnect with my youth.  I had the TG-16 back then and I thought it was a brilliant console.  I have it again now and my opinion of it hasn't changed.  In '92 I wanted to buy Bonk's Revenge.  I wanted R-Type.  I wanted the CD attachment and the TurboExpress.  All of these items kicked ass, but unfortunately at the time I didn't have the money to blow on things like this.  Girls and cars got in the damn way.  Well now I have a wife, two kids and some extra cash after all the bills are paid.  Games that were too expensive for me then look pretty sweet for $20 now, even if the price is inflated.

I agree with vestcunt about people buying stuff now not being casual.  I would never consider myself casual.  My goal is to collect the US hu cards first, then move to CD, then maybe get into NES.  Someday I'll sell them (maybe), but only when I'm too old to pick up a controller to play.  Most likely I'll pass them onto my son, who hopefully comes to appreciate them like I did.  Try passing down your PS3 or XBOX360 to your kids twenty years from now...if they're still even working.

Anyway, that's just my perspective on things.  Shit... again I've taken this thread off topic, but in all fairness I was set up by the last few posts.

[EDIT] Here's one, Bonk's 3 for the Duo - MANUAL ONLY for BIN of $300.  Really? 
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bonk-3-Bonks-Big-Adventure-TurboGrafx-16-Manual-Only-/250617950446?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a59fe70ee#ht_500wt_922
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

NightWolve

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/28/2012, 12:32 PMHere's one, Bonk's 3 for the Duo - MANUAL ONLY for BIN of $300.  Really?  
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bonk-3-Bonks-Big-Adventure-TurboGrafx-16-Manual-Only-/250617950446?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a59fe70ee#ht_500wt_922
Hell naw! I think since looking at this thread, that has to be the worst thing that I've ever seen in it and I don't understand how a seller like that has earned 100% positive feedback either... Not only am I gonna send him a 5 cent offer, I think I'll throw in a cliched response in the form of say, "Have you no sense of decency, sir? I mean, SERIOUSLY ??" But yeah, hands down, this guy deserves an assclown of the century award in my view! I also think I should maybe take a break from looking at this thread for a while, it just makes my blood pressure rise...

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/28/2012, 04:55 PM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/28/2012, 12:32 PMHere's one, Bonk's 3 for the Duo - MANUAL ONLY for BIN of $300.  Really? 
Hell naw! I think since looking at this thread, that has to be the worst thing that I've ever seen in it and I don't understand how a seller like that has earned 100% positive feedback either... Not only am I gonna send him a 5 cent offer, I think I'll throw in a cliched response in the form of say, "Have you no sense of decency, sir? I mean, SERIOUSLY ??" But yeah, hands down, this guy deserves an assclown of the century award in my view! I also think I should maybe take a break from looking at this thread for a while, it just makes my blood pressure rise...
Its been there forever as stated earlier in this thread. I know he has had it up at least for a year if not longer...

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2012, 07:20 PMThe people buying stuff now aren't casual, NES-talgia gamers who will dump it again in a few years.
I can't agree with this. I've been on the forum too long.
IMG

VestCunt

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/28/2012, 05:14 PM
Quote from: VestCunt on 05/26/2012, 07:20 PMThe people buying stuff now aren't casual, NES-talgia gamers who will dump it again in a few years.
I can't agree with this. I've been on the forum too long.
Fixed. You're right - the new-school collectors will continue to dump their games in a few years.

My point is the majority of TG16 buyers are different than the majority of NES/SNES/SG buyers. Mainstream gamers seem to be reliving their youth and picking up the games they sold or the games they always wanted. Relatively few are going for complete collections. Meanwhile the TG16 continues to attract an endless horde of dicks who've never heard of it; at least 50% of whom are aiming for complete U.S. libraries. For every "collector" that cashes out, five more take his place. It's not like the SNES scene.
Topic Adjourned.

Tatsujin

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/28/2012, 12:32 PMI'm coming into this 'retro' thing late while most of you have been doing it for 5 to 10+ years.
Or those who never even stopped to play that shit since it came out..hehe :wink:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mathius

SignOfZeta

I simply cannot understand The Completists. I collect a LOT of shit and I've never gone for a complete collection of anything.

Sub sets, sure. I'd like to have all the Factory era New Order 12"s and LPs, all the Hudson "volume" PCE releases, I'd like to have all the Gundam laserdiscs, etc. I sure as hell don't need Darkwing Duck or Circus Lido. Fuck that shit.
IMG

Tatsujin

LOL, I wouldn't mind me a pce complete set. but that would it be. and I dont even really count on it will ever happen, unless I win the lottery or get some big big bucks via other ways, which probably also will never happen..lol.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mathius

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/29/2012, 12:49 AMI simply cannot understand The Completists. I collect a LOT of shit and I've never gone for a complete collection of anything.

Sub sets, sure. I'd like to have all the Factory era New Order 12"s and LPs, all the Hudson "volume" PCE releases, I'd like to have all the Gundam laserdiscs, etc. I sure as hell don't need Darkwing Duck or Circus Lido. Fuck that shit.
Neither do I. If it looks like fun then I'll probably go hunting for it.

I'll never own a complete Turbo collection because there are games in the US library that I have no interest in like Timeball and Impossimole. I play my games, not keep them under glass.

TR0N

Quote from: Mathius on 05/29/2012, 01:03 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/29/2012, 12:49 AMI simply cannot understand The Completists. I collect a LOT of shit and I've never gone for a complete collection of anything.

Neither do I. If it looks like fun then I'll probably go hunting for it.

I'll never own a complete Turbo collection because there are games in the US library that I have no interest in like Timeball and Impossimole. I play my games, not keep them under glass.
I'm like that as well for any retro console i'm currently on a genesis kick,but i'm not going for a complete collection to get it all again.Still long as you have greedy resellers 'bumping up the prices you will have monkey see monkey do  :wink:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

kakutolives

I am mostly just buying the games that sound fun or the ones that are well known for being good for one reason or another.

as for buying a whole collection of all the games ever made for a console, that just comes off a tad bit insane.
Good Sellers (in my experience)
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

People who are just plain Awesome:
BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

PikachuWarrior

Yeah, I agree. I mainly focus on games I am interested in. Mainly RPGs, and then I branch out. I don't get all the RPGs, because some are crappy, but if it's even remotely interesting, I'll check Youtube first and then go from there.
IMG

SMF

I only buy sealed games to keep behind glass cases out of the reach of dust and air and when i walk by i think to myself GEEWIZ I BET THEM ARE SOME FUN GAMES..........

LMAO, Seriously tho if i did get a sealed game the first think im doing is tearing off that plastic tossing the cardboard box and popping that game in the system of choice.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

kakutolives

i really dont get the point of sealed games, specially for old school games. what ist he f-ing point of having a game stored for eons so just somebody else will rip it open and (hopefully)play it anyways?
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

PikachuWarrior

It's part of a way for one to be proud of owning something that not many others may not have in said condition. Think: trophies or awards. Doesn't matter if no one else (or only a few people) is going to see it or it's tucked away from light and dust. The notion that, "yes, I have X game sealed" is enough for some people to be alright with that. Others who don't understand it and think it's a waste to keep sealed aren't thinking of what the person who went out of their way to buy it thinks.

It's hard to describe but people who are into sealed games have a different thought process on video games. It doesn't mean they don't ever play the games. Most use emulators or buy extra used/opened copies to play.
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: kakutolives on 05/29/2012, 02:44 AMas for buying a whole collection of all the games ever made for a console, that just comes off a tad bit insane.
why? if this is a hobby you very much like? a hobby like any other hobbies with a goal. then what's so wrong or even insane about?

i wouldn't like to do this for any other systems but the pce, because pce is the one i love so much, so it's fun to me to track down all its games.

but as i stated above, this may never come true unless certain things will change in my life..lol.

Samurai Ghost

I'll buy a sealed game for $5 or $10 more sometimes so I know it will be absolutely perfect when I open it up and play it. Sucks getting a game you love with a ripped up manual and all kinds of defects.

Tatsujin

also a sealed game can be very unminty at times.

- sunfaded
- jewel case broken
- even molds on the disc or manual can be found (from very inappropriate storaging etc.)
- in case of the game express games, most hucards print will stick to the sleeve when take em out.

sure that all doesn't matter so much, if you never gonna open it up..lol

kakutolives

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 05/29/2012, 04:13 AMI'll buy a sealed game for $5 or $10 more sometimes so I know it will be absolutely perfect when I open it up and play it. Sucks getting a game you love with a ripped up manual and all kinds of defects.
This I can relate to and it is nice to run into a nice game without nasty scratches and a nice manual for a few dollars more

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/29/2012, 03:35 AM
Quote from: kakutolives on 05/29/2012, 02:44 AMas for buying a whole collection of all the games ever made for a console, that just comes off a tad bit insane.
why? if this is a hobby you very much like? a hobby like any other hobbies with a goal. then what's so wrong or even insane about?

i wouldn't like to do this for any other systems but the pce, because pce is the one i love so much, so it's fun to me to track down all its games.

but as i stated above, this may never come true unless certain things will change in my life..lol.
you see the way I feel about it, is that there is nothing wrong with it as long as you don't go out of your way and keep it what it should be: a hobby.
I just can not understand why some may spend more than a month of rent for a game. Again I am a gamer and do collect things here and there. However I am of the mindset that a hobby stops being fun once people start getting themselves into debt to collect a game or 2 that might just suck, and that might set yourself back two credit card payments just to say "I have it"
btw this is not a jab at you or anyone by that matter, it is mostly me expressing how i feel on the matter and I can respect the fact that people might feel different about it.

Otaking

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/28/2012, 11:11 PM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/28/2012, 12:32 PMI'm coming into this 'retro' thing late while most of you have been doing it for 5 to 10+ years.
Or those who never even stopped to play that shit since it came out..hehe :wink:
+1
kind of lost insterest in any new games released post 16 bit era, just stuck with me SFC, PCE & NEO (Some Saturn stuff was cool)
 :D

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/29/2012, 03:35 AM

Nothing wrong with collecting all games for a particular console, if that's your favourite system.
I love all the PCE catalogue even the crappy games just because it's PCE and I'm completely a PCE Fanboy.
For example even if there's a superior arcade port on the megadrive I'd play the PCE version, simply because I love playing PCE even with it warts and all limitations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

jlued686

Regarding "completionists", I'm trying to get the complete US set of games simply because I love the Turbo and think it would be cool to have. I'm not super obsessed with completing it, though. For example, I don't care about having the boxes, and a handful of my games are HuCard only. Plus, I know I'll most likely never own Magical Chase because there's no way I'm paying that sort of cash for it. For me, it's just a fun project that I tend to on and off over the years.

That said, CHECK MY SIG, EVERYONE! ;)

FiftyQuid

Quote from: kakutolives on 05/29/2012, 03:13 AMi really dont get the point of sealed games, specially for old school games. what ist he f-ing point of having a game stored for eons so just somebody else will rip it open and (hopefully)play it anyways?
I'll buy a sealed game if the price is right, but yeah I'm going to rip the shrink-wrap off as soon as it arrives.  Then I'll offer up the box because it's of no value to me, but may be to someone else.  Having a sealed anything doesn't make any sense to me unless you are trying to retain it's maximum value for resale at a later date.  For me, if I'm buying something, then I want to enjoy it while I have it.  Not keep it "hands off".  The best part of a collection is holding it in your hands and sharing it.

It's the same reason I've never put a car bra on my car.  Sure it protects the front end of your car, but who are you protecting it for?  The next guy that buys it off you?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Bernie on 05/26/2012, 05:49 AMHe basically told me he has no knowledge of Turbo anything, and had used his only resource available to price it, which happened to be eBay.  ugh.. So, according to him, he was gouging without intent basically.
To get to $3800 he must've taken the highest priced listings he could find, completely ignoring all the reasonable deals.  Sounds like shooting for maximum successful gouge to me.

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/29/2012, 03:26 AMOthers who don't understand it and think it's a waste to keep sealed aren't thinking of what the person who went out of their way to buy it thinks.
Many of my games were bought new, yet I didn't go through any sort of ordeal to acquire 'em.  Ya pick out a game, you pay, you take game home.... it's pretty simple.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

VestCunt

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/29/2012, 03:26 AMIt's part of a way for one to be proud of owning something that not many others may not have in said condition.
Sounds like penis measuring to me. Buy stuff because you want it; comparing collections is just low self-esteem.

QuoteIt's hard to describe but people who are into sealed games have a different thought process on video games.
Yes. And that thought process is completely insane.
Topic Adjourned.

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/29/2012, 04:24 AMalso a sealed game can be very unminty at times.

- sunfaded
- jewel case broken
- even molds on the disc or manual can be found (from very inappropriate storaging etc.)
- in case of the game express games, most hucards print will stick to the sleeve when take em out.

sure that all doesn't matter so much, if you never gonna open it up..lol
Yeah I've seen instances of all of these. One thing that is nice is getting a sealed game that is perfect except for an extremely faded spine card, which is protecting the actual spine beneath from the sun's deadly rays. So they do actually serve some kind of purpose!!

Arkhan Asylum

I compare my collection to my collection:

"Damn.  I need more stuff!!  I don't have enough stuff!  I only have 12 master system games! FUCK!"

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/29/2012, 03:26 AMIt's part of a way for one to be proud of owning something that not many others may not have in said condition. Think: trophies or awards.
The concept of "pride of ownership" is a pretty...I don't know if it's sadly disgusting or disgustingly sad. It's one thing to be proud of something you made, or awards from a contest or something achedemic or whatever, but being proud that you clicked on some buttons and bought some otaku shit off eBay you are never gong to actually open and use...that just makes me want to puke. The only people who could take pride in that are people who have never done anything worth taking pride in.
IMG

Bernie

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/29/2012, 03:13 PM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/29/2012, 03:26 AMIt's part of a way for one to be proud of owning something that not many others may not have in said condition. Think: trophies or awards.
The concept of "pride of ownership" is a pretty...I don't know if it's sadly disgusting or disgustingly sad. It's one thing to be proud of something you made, or awards from a contest or something achedemic or whatever, but being proud that you clicked on some buttons and bought some otaku shit off eBay you are never gong to actually open and use...that just makes me want to puke. The only people who could take pride in that are people who have never done anything worth taking pride in.
I have to side with Zeta here.  This shit is meant to be played.  Collected in god condition is awesome, but ya gotta play it!

PikachuWarrior

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2012, 01:17 PM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/29/2012, 03:26 AMIt's part of a way for one to be proud of owning something that not many others may not have in said condition.
Sounds like penis measuring to me. Buy stuff because you want it; comparing collections is just low self-esteem.

QuoteIt's hard to describe but people who are into sealed games have a different thought process on video games.
Yes. And that thought process is completely insane.
Insane for those who don't understand what being a sealed game collector entails.
IMG

SignOfZeta

IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/29/2012, 03:13 PM
I don't think that being happy to have something you actually value for your own reasons is bad, but I don't think that it very cool to take pride in others not having what you do as the driving motivation. Especially when you don't really have much interest in the item and pretty much base its value in what you gelueve others value it at.

It's basically a step further down from basing your personal value on the perception of others.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

GohanX

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2012, 01:17 PMSounds like penis measuring to me. Buy stuff because you want it; comparing collections is just low self-esteem.
The only system I am trying to get a complete collection of is the US 32X, what does that say about me?

It's probably the same statement that is said about sports cars, except that I drive a Miata.

"Wow, the car is so small!"

"Yep, I'm compensating."

NightWolve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250617950446&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

All right, since I evidently didn't have anything better to do on Memorial Day, I did go ahead and send that gentleman a message and today I received a response. So, for entertainment purposes, here ya go:
QuoteDear megahit79,

Yours has got to be the worst case of gouging/profiteering that I have EVER seen! So I humbly ask the question, have you NO sense of decency, sir? I mean, SERIOUSLY ?? $300 for a manual ?? Is there perhaps gold lining in this manual or what ?? If this is a serious asking price, you ought to be utterly ashamed of yourself! If this is a long running joke, it's gone on long enough! Pathetic!!

- nlivadit
Response:
QuoteDear nlivadit,

this is the current market value for this book.I have over 20 years in the videogame business and our experts price everything according to our recent sales and quantity.You should respect a companies price and if you dont want to pay then dont buy it but please dont waste our company time or your own.
thanks and happy memorial day
jay

- megahit79
Coincidentally, I actually have a Bonk III manual and I either broke or lost the case. If I ask this criminal to buy mine, how much do you think he'd offer me ? Let's see if it works both ways, his "this is the current market value for this book!" I'll post his response if he makes an offer.

SMF

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/29/2012, 08:08 PMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250617950446&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

All right, since I evidently didn't have anything better to do on Memorial's Day, I did go ahead send that gentleman a message and today I received a response. So, for entertainment purposes, here ya go:
QuoteDear megahit79,

Yours has got to be the worst case of gouging/profiteering that I have EVER seen! So I humbly ask the question, have you NO sense of decency, sir? I mean, SERIOUSLY ?? $300 for a manual ?? Is there perhaps gold lining in this manual or what ?? If this is a serious asking price, you ought to be utterly ashamed of yourself! If this is a long running joke, it's gone on long enough! Pathetic!!

- nlivadit
Response:
QuoteDear nlivadit,

this is the current market value for this book.I have over 20 years in the videogame business and our experts price everything according to our recent sales and quantity.You should respect a companies price and if you dont want to pay then dont buy it but please dont waste our company time or your own.
thanks and happy memorial day
jay

- megahit79
Coincidentally, I actually have a Bonk III manual and I either broke or lost the case. If I ask this criminal to buy mine, how much do you think he'd offer me ? Let's see if it works both ways, his "this is the current market value for this book!" I'll post his response if he makes an offer for mine.
If he's so sure that's the current market value then why don't he put it on auction and sell it for what peaple think its really worth?
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

Bernie

Because its not the current market.  He has been trying to sell that bitch for quite some time off and on over the last year or so.  If he actually held a genuine auction, he would still most likely get a lot for it, but not 300 fricking bucks.  I mean damn.  eBay really fucked shit up for the buyers by including that stupid BIN only option.  Its bullshit.  Im all for listing a BIN, but the bidding is the best part.  I normally list thing with a start of .99, and have a BIN just in case.  The option to do either is actually the way to see what something is actually worth, at the time.

FiftyQuid

I've never been a fan of BIN only.  eBay is supposed to be an auction site, but if an item is BIN only how is that true?  I also hate sellers that use the Make Offer button but only for show.  I offered one seller $32 for Parasol Stars when he had it for BIN of $36.  I figure a $4 difference is acceptable?  Nope.  Declined.  So a day goes by and I offer him $33.  Nope.  Declined.  If you're not going to haggle then why have the Make Offer in the first place?

PikachuWarrior

The Best Offer feature, when you make a listing, can be specified what range you want to automatically decline or accept offers. I am assuming his range of accepting an offer is at or around the asking price. It's their choice whether they want to do a larger range or not, but I agree. Everyone should have at least a $5 range for Best Offers.
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/29/2012, 03:13 PMIt's one thing to be proud of something you made, or awards from a contest or something achedemic or whatever, but being proud that you clicked on some buttons and bought some otaku shit off eBay you are never gong to actually open and use...that just makes me want to puke. 
That's exactly why I do not buy games of ebay etc. just by clicking a button, fill my cash in and wait for the post guy comming every day. I literally like to hunt games down, periodically rides to 2nd hand etc. stores, waiting for a good bargain deal etc. this is what makes it real fun about collecting. Sure, sometimes you have to make use of the more expensive sources to get your hands on certain titles.

but pure sealed collecting of rare titles for shelfing is a total different case, which I also quite can't understand (even I have some few sealed very low budget games as a dupe).
but in the end it always amounts to the same thing, to each his/her own. I guess everybody does something, which others wouldn't agree with.

city41

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/29/2012, 03:13 PMThe concept of "pride of ownership" is a pretty...I don't know if it's sadly disgusting or disgustingly sad. It's one thing to be proud of something you made, or awards from a contest or something achedemic or whatever, but being proud that you clicked on some buttons and bought some otaku shit off eBay you are never gong to actually open and use...that just makes me want to puke. The only people who could take pride in that are people who have never done anything worth taking pride in.
Not always. I take pride in some of the games I own because I'm a software developer by day who makes games by night. I can totally appreciate the effort and genius that goes into a topnotch title. I'm proud of a team of people I've never met.

VestCunt

Quote from: Bernie on 05/29/2012, 08:19 PMBecause its not the current market.  He has been trying to sell that bitch for quite some time off and on over the last year or so.  If he actually held a genuine auction, he would still most likely get a lot for it, but not 300 fricking bucks.
No kidding. To give a couple comparisons by which we might estimate that manual's value, I recently auctioned a Dynastic Hero manual and it went for $50. Last year I traded a Bonk 3 SCD manual and a game to a member here and estimated it at $15 for the purpose of our trade.
Topic Adjourned.

Otaking

There's nothing wrong with collecting games for your own enjoyment but the key point is to post on web forums about processions (games) you own to feel superior is lame.
The thing is I've never personally witnessed anyone do this when it comes to video games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.

Samurai Ghost

I don't think people post in the What did you buy today thread to feel superior or to show off, it's just a place to share/discuss what you just got with some like-minded people. 99% of the people I know in person don't even know what a PC Engine is, so when I get some new stuff it's nice to share it with people who know what it is, and sometimes good discussions crop up. Likewise I like to see what people have been buying, make comments, etc. It's really not about feeling superior to anyone, it's more about sharing our collecting hobby with each other.

VestCunt

I agree. I'm just pointing out that we "post on web forums about processions (games) [we] own" all the time. I don't typically detect an ego trip, but to say it never happens here is silly
Topic Adjourned.

NecroPhile

Quote from: VestCunt on 05/30/2012, 04:33 PMI agree. I'm just pointing out that we "post on web forums about processions (games) [we] own" all the time. I don't typically detect an ego trip, but to say it never happens here is silly
Did you miss the to feel superior part?  I don't see much of that either, at least not from the regulars.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

VestCunt

Of course. Like I said, I don't usually sense an air of superiority/ego trip either. Here's my logic:
1) we post additions to our collections everyday
2) it's impossible to differentiate friendly "show-and-tell" from "penis measuring" with 100% accuracy. Therefore,
3) for Otaku to say that he's never witnessed anyone brag or gloat about their video games is ridiculous. A picture of a certain forum member giving a thumbs up in front of a stretched Magical Chase screen comes to mind... or the "Turbo Grafx Collecting Reference" AKA "Pictures of my collection" thread.
Topic Adjourned.