10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/14/2012, 02:21 AMPaying too much is subjective. Maybe they don't mind the higher price and just want the game (to play). There are always two sides of the equation.

For instance, there's this PS1 RPG called Tales of Destiny 2. One week it goes for over $100, a few weeks later there is one auction that sells for $35 complete/shipped. It's a crapshoot!
You sound like a eBay seller... Give us your handle so we can keep an eye on ya :P

PikachuWarrior

Nah, I'm just saying, some people are desperate (I know I've bought a few more expensive items). I wanted them just because I haven't seen it in a while. which may indicate a higher average price.
IMG

SMF

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/15/2012, 02:44 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 07/15/2012, 08:36 AMDon't buy that.  For one, its original and has not been capped.  Right off the bat he is wanting not too high of a price, but when you add in the $60.00 shipping price....WTF??   He does have a copy of BS, but its missing the manual and poster, so $150.00 seems a little high for that one too....yeah.. so I wont suggest that one either.
I wasn't going to buy it.  You'll be the first person I call when the time comes. :)
Yea i agree if you buy that be ready to send it out to get a check up lol. $60 to ship REALLY? Normal priority mail runs $15 at the most. All he's trying to do is get more thru shipping.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

NecroPhile

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/14/2012, 02:21 AMPaying too much is subjective. Maybe they don't mind the higher price and just want the game (to play). There are always two sides of the equation.
This thread is apparently not for you.  It's painfully obvious that you're a collector and believe in spending whatever you want (logic and sensibilities be damned), so please skip this and any other thread with which you disagree so entirely.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: NecroPhile on 07/16/2012, 01:10 PM
This thread is apparently not for you.  It's painfully obvious that you're a collector and believe in spending whatever you want (logic and sensibilities be damned), so please skip this and any other thread with which you disagree so entirely.
Uh, wow. Actually, his post was fairly logical. Yours was "We have our opinions, don't participate unless you agree."

Where is the logic and sensibility there?
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

VestCunt

The logic is that this thread is for a group of like-minded people that hate gougers and have written one-hundred-and-seventy-seven pages of rants bitching about gouging. The "illogic" is that a lone wolf walks into this hornet's nest every two weeks and tries to argue with us.

Sure, people in the U.S. love to imagine that there are "two sides" to every argument, but that doesn't mean the other side should be given any credibility (holocaust deniers, fracking proponents, etc.) or that the venue is appropriate for debate (why I don't go to Tea Party conventions).

As for Storino, one of his first posts was defending reselling by comparing it to gambling and the thrill of trying to get your money back, "and then some." He's said his piece, and it's time to take that logic somewhere else.
Topic Adjourned.

PikachuWarrior

Nah, that was just shedding some light on what they (the resellers) are probably wanting to do because they got shafted on what they perceived was a good price.
IMG

tggodfrey

Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

jperryss

Quote from: tggodfrey on 07/17/2012, 08:43 AMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-90s-game-Ginga-Fukei-Densetsu-Sapphire-for-NEC-Turbo-Duo-/221069529496?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3378c55198

Sapphire bootie for 250.00????  Wow.
His eBay ID says he's in WA. Wonder if he got it through this forum from Blue? Let's find out who he is so we can ban him.

tggodfrey

Resellers on ebay are doing just that.  Buying games and trying to make as much money as possible on them.  If they weren't they would have Buy it now prices that were realistic for a 20 year old game.

Paying 3 times what the game cost new is a damn joke and many of us have been (stupid enough) on the bad end of that deal.  Here is another concept people in all hobbies cant seem to understand......you cant get your money back, this isnt real estate or the stock market 401K, you take a loss based on ownership and the cost of doing business (shipping ect).

Part of me cant wait till the day I decide I dont want some of the games I have that cost way too much so I can get on ebay, create an auction that states I dont want the game and its being sold locally for 40.00.  Then actually hand it to a local member here for just that price.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

NecroPhile

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 07/17/2012, 12:02 AMUh, wow. Actually, his post was fairly logical. Yours was "We have our opinions, don't participate unless you agree."

Where is the logic and sensibility there?
Riddle me this, Batman: what's the logic and sensibility of coming into a thread about gouging just to repeatedly tell us that there's no such thing as gouging, as there's always some chump that thinks it's worth it?  It's readily apparent that the people charging and/or paying ridiculous prices don't agree that the prices are out of line (else they'd adjust their prices), and pointing out such unoriginal thinking is about as useful as telling us that the sky is blue.

Quote from: tggodfrey on 07/17/2012, 08:43 AMSapphire bootie for 250.00????  Wow.
Reported as a bootleg copy.... I won't hold my breath that eBay will do anything.

CrackTiger

Thus isn't a thread about "wow, look at how high some games can sell for, no game is worth more than $20". This is about specific items that regularly sell relatively cheap being advertised for outrageous prices, compared to what they can actually be currently found for. It is also about exposing clear market manipulation. The story of how this thread even came to be sums it up pretty ironically.

Dynastic Hero is or was easy to find for $5. The only reason it doesn't come up as often now is that it's not worth the effort for a seller because it's so worthless. But we still see the odd seller asking hundreds of dollars for the same extremely common version. If a collector wants something so bad yet somehow knows absolutely nothing about it, that they would pay one hundred times the going rate for it, sure that's "their business". But what is so unreasonable about discussing how unreasonable it is to monetarily value things so much which some people clearly don't care enough about to actually learn anything about?

Many of the more vocal anti-gougers in this thread happily spend $100+ on single games. They just don't take pride in spending 200% - 1000% on any given game. Real collectors collect things they genuinely admire. The current wave of nu-collectors, who consider it a "hobby", who value items based on what they believe others value them for and consider collectibles an "investment", are really the opposite of what traditional collectors are and they really should come up with new terms to describe themselves and their investment schemes.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

FiftyQuid

The fact is this "hobby" isn't the same as it was 10, or even 2 years ago and it may never be that way again.  Many people, including myself, are jumping into the hobby and 'collecting' anything related to old games.  Am I collecting the games so that I can sell them later?  Maybe, but it's not going to make me rich or put my kids through university.  I would like to think I'll break even whenever, but I'll most likely take a loss.  I'm collecting mainly for nostalgia.

Game collecting now, reminds me of comic collecting back in the 90's.  Comics were huge back then and prices got stupid - fast.  I'm sure there were some 30 year old comic collectors saying all the same shit that has been said over and over in this thread.  New collectors are ruining the hobby.  Now comics have stabilized and prices have fallen.  There will come a time when the same thing will happen with 'retro' games, but right now I think they are in their heyday and it's going to be a while before things calm down again.  The nice thing about there being so much excitement around this hobby now is that people who have been sitting on heaps of games/consoles can make a few bucks and 'collectors' are seeing a lot more being put on the market as basements are cleaned.

I like to think this thread is about pointing out eBay auctions with 'extreme gouging'.  Auctions like the Super System 3.0 card that been put up for over $300.  That's just fucked up and it's just a Seller trying to take advantage of people with absolutely no knowledge.  They are scams, plain and simple.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

PikachuWarrior

Quote from: jperryss on 07/17/2012, 08:49 AM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/17/2012, 02:19 AMNah, that was just shedding some light on what they (the resellers) are probably wanting to do because they got shafted on what they perceived was a good price.
His eBay ID says he's in WA. Wonder if he got it through this forum from Blue? Let's find out who he is so we can ban him. 
Washington? ha! Got what through the forum? Where is my ebay ID there? Mine is Storino03, same as my username here. and it's Wisconsin. You can check it and stalk me for all I care.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/17/2012, 02:55 PMWashington? ha! Got what through the forum? Where is my ebay ID there? Mine is Storino03, same as my username here. and it's Wisconsin. You can check it and stalk me for all I care.
Reading for context, it looks like his comment was meant for the Sapphire booty.

PikachuWarrior

IMG

djolof

Did anyone on this board snag the Dynastic Hero or SAZ for $50 this morning?

jperryss

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/17/2012, 03:53 PMoh yeah, makes sense :P sorry, jp
No worries man! I'd quoted the wrong post, it was most definitely about the Sapphire booties (the guy that listed it is in WA). Sorry for the confusion!

Quote from: djolof on 07/17/2012, 07:53 PMDid anyone on this board snag the Dynastic Hero or SAZ for $50 this morning?
Not me, but oh snap!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Air-Zonk-TurboGrafx-CD-1993-/261069334727?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3cc8f1e8c7#ht_500wt_1182
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Dynastic-Hero-TurboGrafx-16-/261069336607?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3cc8f1f01f#ht_500wt_1182

I'm confused though...they show one bid each and don't really look like they were BINs. And I checked listing and ending dates and that Dynastic Hero lasted all of four minutes. How the F do people catch these so quickly?

geise

Yay to $50 booties that will now be flipped for 1000 times more. [-(

djolof

CrackTiger

Quote from: jperryss on 07/17/2012, 08:14 PM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/17/2012, 03:53 PMoh yeah, makes sense :P sorry, jp
No worries man! I'd quoted the wrong post, it was most definitely about the Sapphire booties (the guy that listed it is in WA). Sorry for the confusion!

Quote from: djolof on 07/17/2012, 07:53 PMDid anyone on this board snag the Dynastic Hero or SAZ for $50 this morning?
Not me, but oh snap!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Air-Zonk-TurboGrafx-CD-1993-/261069334727?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3cc8f1e8c7#ht_500wt_1182
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Dynastic-Hero-TurboGrafx-16-/261069336607?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3cc8f1f01f#ht_500wt_1182

I'm confused though...they show one bid each and don't really look like they were BINs. And I checked listing and ending dates and that Dynastic Hero lasted all of four minutes. How the F do people catch these so quickly?
If they did indeed sell, then that's two Dynastic Hero's in a row I've seen sell for $50 during which time no others have sold.

Professionals spend hours a day scouring eBay for "R@RE!" games. Let's see if these two show up at inflated prices in a month or so.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

GameFreak

Quotehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-90s-game-Ginga-Fukei-Densetsu-Sapphire-for-NEC-Turbo-Duo-/221069529496?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3378c55198 His eBay ID says he's in WA. Wonder if he got it through this forum from Blue? Let's find out who he is so we can ban him. 
This is really close to me. I gave 3 copies away here in person where i live, and 2 copies away by mail as a "free" surprise bonus item when i sold some stuff. I have a good feeling this is one of the ones i gave away locally. I can look into it. But who knows how many times it traded hands by now.
Yeah I would report it as a non official copy. Ebay will/should take it down especially if he admits its not genuine (lol).
Errr this makes me mad. Now i feel responsible. I told them not to ever sell it but trading it for gaming stuff seemed acceptable to me.
sigh...

GameFreak

^ the item is no longer available...LOLOL

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 07/17/2012, 08:33 PMIf they did indeed sell, then that's two Dynastic Hero's in a row I've seen sell for $50 during which time no others have sold.
Professionals spend hours a day scouring eBay for "R@RE!" games. Let's see if these two show up at inflated prices in a month or so.
But still...we're talking MINUTES here! :D

To be honest, I recently bookmarked some of the searches I've found myself doing regularly, so I could execute them on-the-fly and in hopes of getting some decent prices on a few things. This week it was Avenger. A BIN popped up for about $17 shipped (like new) and I snagged it. I'm not sure that it was a super-cheap price, but the last two on eBay sold for $35 and $47 (though the $47 one was sealed) so I think I did OK.

PunkCryborg

I know that Super Air Zonk was bought by someone here(not me), so no worries there

FiftyQuid

Mathius

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/18/2012, 10:30 PM$800 fucking dollars!  Are you kidding me?! 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-TurboGrafx-CD-TurboDuo-Black-Console-NTSC-/170881221756?pt=Video_Games&hash=item27c950847c#ht_500wt_1204

The last auction sold for $300 and there was more included with it.
I got mine in like new condition for $149 a few years back. Idiot cock-smoker.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Mathius on 07/18/2012, 10:46 PMI got mine in like new condition for $149 a few years back. Idiot cock-smoker.
Sweet Jesus!  $149 is almost like getting it free today.  The worst part about the $800 auction is that it's a re-listing.  The cock-smoker didn't learn the first time.  You think these re-listers would at least drop their price $10 every time they re-list.  Oh no, they post it for the same dam amount.  Idiots.  Personally I'd rather have $300 cash in my wallet than hold out for a year+ for $800.

VenomMacbeth

And you guys wonder why n00bs turn down the Duos in favor of the core consoles. :/
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

SMF

FiftyQuid

geise

VestCunt

The four sealed copies of Splatterhouse for $349 each have been bugging me for a while:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=splatterhouse+grafx&_sacat=0

I auctioned a sealed one in April that sold for $158 and I thought that was outrageous.
Topic Adjourned.

esadajr

And you gotta love when they put the "Make an offer" option and they automatically reject any offer not within .01 of what they're asking.
Gaming since 1985

PunkCryborg

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 07/19/2012, 02:06 AMAnd you guys wonder why n00bs turn down the Duos in favor of the core consoles. :/
nobody wonders why, in fact most of us encourage n00bies to look into pce systems

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 07/19/2012, 04:41 PMThe four sealed copies of Splatterhouse for $349 each have been bugging me for a while:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=splatterhouse+grafx&_sacat=0
There are only 3 at $349.  The 4th one was listed at $329.  I don't know if that was a mistake or not.  I feel bad for anyone that pays that amount, but I'd feel even worse for them if they bought the $349 over the $329 one.

BigusSchmuck

FiftyQuid

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/19/2012, 10:28 PMIt ended up going for around $150, thats almost 8x the amount the pce version goes for...
It's too bad we (PCEngineFX) couldn't have bought it at the $90 BIN.  Might&Magic III is going to sell for crazy dollars too.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/19/2012, 10:37 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/19/2012, 10:28 PMIt ended up going for around $150, thats almost 8x the amount the pce version goes for...
It's too bad we (PCEngineFX) couldn't have bought it at the $90 BIN.  Might&Magic III is going to sell for crazy dollars too.
Yeah and its scratched. Thanks but no thanks, not going to pay $100+ for a game that may not work.

tpivette

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/19/2012, 10:28 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 07/12/2012, 11:36 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 07/12/2012, 11:20 PMSomebody here really needs to buy this before it falls in the wrong hands

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dungeon-Explorer-II-2-TurboGrafx-CD-1993-VG-condition-Turbo-Duo-USA-version-/280920510189?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item41682aceed#ht_500wt_1416
Damn thats a good deal!!
It ended up going for around $150, thats almost 8x the amount the pce version goes for...
I'll admit, I tried to win this in the last moments... but the price went way above what I was willing to bid. Oh well, guess I'll have to hold out for another miracle $90 BIN
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: jperryss on 07/20/2012, 08:23 AMThe Dynastic and SAZ were discussed either in this thread or a different one, and at least one of them was snagged by someone here according to that thread.
Correct and it arrived without incident in excellent shape. I am going to fire it up shortly. IMG
--DragonmasterDan

jperryss

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/20/2012, 03:41 PMCorrect and it arrived without incident in excellent shape. I am going to fire it up shortly.
Nice! I'm glad at least one of these ended up in good hands.

Mathius

Quote from: jperryss on 07/20/2012, 04:36 PM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/20/2012, 03:41 PMCorrect and it arrived without incident in excellent shape. I am going to fire it up shortly.
As am I! Congrats D-Dan!

NecroPhile

I hope the other two also went to a good guy, rather than to resellers or collecting dust on a leet collector's shelf.

jperryss

Quote from: Mathius on 07/20/2012, 04:39 PM
Quote from: jperryss on 07/20/2012, 04:36 PM
As am I! Congrats D-Dan!
Now he just needs to tell us how he managed to catch it in under 10 minutes.

SMF

Prolly logged into ebay went to Turbo Duo just listed and BAM...............SUPER AIR ZONK BIN CHEAP!.! LOL. Great grab.

Bernie

Quote from: SMF on 07/20/2012, 05:09 PMProlly logged into ebay went to Turbo Duo just listed and BAM...............SUPER AIR ZONK BIN CHEAP!.! LOL. Great grab.
Thats how I got Dungeon Exp. II.  :)