10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Quote from: RoyVegas on 10/12/2011, 04:54 PMI guess I lost alil $ that one time.   Clicky.
Don't ya mean a missed opportunity to gouge or gouge more?  We all know you didn't pay $800 for Tonma and have little doubt you sold it opened for more than you paid sealed.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

djolof

What a Bargain! What's the next game to go off the charts on Ebay? Any predictions?

NecroPhile

Quote from: djolof on 10/12/2011, 06:19 PMWhat a Bargain! What's the next game to go off the charts on Ebay? Any predictions?
The only one that deserves it based on gameplay: Ballistix!!!

MotherGunner

Yes!  I will play that while trying to read The Steel Tsar and listening to Rocka Rolla by Judas Priest all at the same time!

IMG
IMG
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

BigT

Now, I'm a pro free market guy who usually doesn't complain much about Ebay prices... if someone is willing to pay that much, then so be it... but $800 for Tonma seems a bit excessive  #-o  I'm not sure how big the print run was, but I've never considered it an ultra rare game... though it did come out quite late...  but, what do I know; a non-mint box is up to $71 with 4 days to go  :o
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Legend-Hero-Tonma-Box-Only-Turbo-Grafx-16-Duo-Very-Rare-Includes-tray-insert-/290618554110?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item43aa3736fe

Maybe one day I can get $100 each for my "ultra rare" sealed Power Golf and TV Sports Football copies?   :P

MotherGunner

I bought Tonma on Ebay as early as two years ago for around $25 plus shipping.  Then resold it for that much.  There are PCE versions there for much less (than $8-I owe you one, now.)
-MG

Sadler

Like I said in the collection picture thread, I found a some old tzd catalogues tonight, they're at the bottom of this pic:

IMG

Here's some pics of the price page:

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

lol, the first flyer that had imports, I remember dialing up their number and ordering a $80 Neo Nectaris and Bomberman 94 $50...lol

Ah, TZD.... if only I could turn back time.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 10/12/2011, 05:10 PMDon't ya mean a missed opportunity to gouge or gouge more?
Opening it knowing full well it would decrease its value wouldn't quite be a missed opportunity.  If my only intentions were to make a profit (as you seem to be implying) opening it would be a pretty dumb move on my part.

Quote from: guest on 10/12/2011, 05:10 PMWe all know you didn't pay $800 for Tonma
Never claimed I did.

Quote from: guest on 10/12/2011, 05:10 PMand have little doubt you sold it opened for more than you paid sealed.
Incorrect assumption.
All is well. :)

Arkhan Asylum

Having little doubt != making an assumption.

I see your word skills are as good as your ethics.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Quote from: RoyVegas on 10/13/2011, 01:37 PMOpening it knowing full well it would decrease its value wouldn't quite be a missed opportunity.
Nor is it 'losing a bit', as you can't lose money on something before it's sold (lost value is not analogous with lost money).  You quoted the $800 Tonma, and since you neither bought nor sold your copy at that amount, the only way it would be relevant is as a missed opportunity for you to resell your copy for a similar sum.

If I ignore the quote of an overpriced Tonma, then I see your point.  Obviously opening a new game will affect its value negatively... might I add such poignant aphorisms as 'the sky is blue' and 'my dad is not a cell phone'?

allyourblood

So this "powerupvideogames" outfit has shown up and absolutely carpet-bombed Ebay in all sorts of wonderful TurboGrafx stuff: used, new, complete, common, rare, tons of stuff.

But, most of their prices completely suck, and their "Best Offer" option is a joke. I've already made 3 reasonable offers on some items, and each one of them was shot down, without even so much as a counter-offer. It's a real shame when the fun stuff falls into the wrong hands.
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

sirhcman

Quote from: allyourblood on 10/14/2011, 12:28 AMSo this "powerupvideogames" outfit has shown up and absolutely carpet-bombed Ebay in all sorts of wonderful TurboGrafx stuff: used, new, complete, common, rare, tons of stuff.

But, most of their prices completely suck, and their "Best Offer" option is a joke. I've already made 3 reasonable offers on some items, and each one of them was shot down, without even so much as a counter-offer. It's a real shame when the fun stuff falls into the wrong hands.
I offered him $28 for Lords of Thunder (he is asking $34 and has 4 copies available) and he didn't even counter offer :( I figured that was a fair price but I guess not  :-k

allyourblood

Quote from: guest on 10/14/2011, 12:44 AM
Quote from: allyourblood on 10/14/2011, 12:28 AMSo this "powerupvideogames" outfit has shown up and absolutely carpet-bombed Ebay in all sorts of wonderful TurboGrafx stuff: used, new, complete, common, rare, tons of stuff.

I offered him $28 for Lords of Thunder (he is asking $34 and has 4 copies available) and he didn't even counter offer :( I figured that was a fair price but I guess not  :-k
Yep, I offered similar "a few bucks off"-type offers, and got them all shot down. I did offer significantly less on their New Adventure Island, simply because that $70 price for manual and card is ridiculous. Of course it was rejected. Why do sellers bother including this function if they don't want to use it?

Where is fancy bred?

sirhcman

Quote from: allyourblood on 10/14/2011, 12:58 AMWhy do sellers bother including this function if they don't want to use it?
Maybe he will be more forgiving on the best offer option after the games don't sell in the next few weeks *shrugs*

allyourblood

Quote from: guest on 10/14/2011, 01:08 AM
Quote from: allyourblood on 10/14/2011, 12:58 AMWhy do sellers bother including this function if they don't want to use it?
Maybe he will be more forgiving on the best offer option after the games don't sell in the next few weeks *shrugs*
Well, see, that would be my hope too. The problem is that he's listed so much, and your average Ebay video game collector is so impatient, that a good portion of his stuff will likely sell at these stupid prices, further strengthening a vicious cycle of inflated prices. Maybe the fact that he's using BINs on all his stuff will prevent some of it for selling at dumb prices, as people tend to pay more when caught up in a bidding war, versus outright buying.

Where is fancy bred?

MotherGunner

I offered some decent prices on some of his loosies and he shot them all down.  WTF, over?
-MG

allyourblood

Yeah, sick of this guy (girl? monster?). Bummer that they've got so much cool stuff. I imagine the only "best offers" they're looking for are those within a dollar of their initial prices.

Where is fancy bred?

BigT

Some of powerupvideogames' prices are a bit ambitious... we'll see how many people bite... does have some very interesting stuff (e.g., sealed Super Air Zonk, Exile 2, Bonk III, DEII)... but, as much as I love the Turbo, I just can't justify spending such money for them...

SMF

Yea I was a bit bummd he shot down my Best Offers. Well all cept 1 that is. I got Cyber-Core for $18.00 he was asking $19.00. I figured the game was cheap enough and its 1 I needed let's see if he takes $18.00. Yes he did lol.

Just thought I would giv you all a heads up.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

allyourblood

SMF, that's exactly the price cut-off I was envisioning. Cyber-Core's a fun game, so good for you on picking that one up.

Where is fancy bred?

jlued686

Here's a direct link to his Turbo stuff:
http://stores.ebay.com/Power-Up-Video-Games/_i.html?_nkw=turbo&submit=Search&_sid=212772397

Shockman for $500?! Fuckin' A...

Not all of his prices are absurd, but the "rare" stuff (ie: almost everything in my sig) are way over-the-top.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 10/14/2011, 10:35 AMNot all of his prices are absurd
Maybe I just missed the good deals because he posted so much stuff but can you give me some examples? Everything I saw was pretty absurd

jlued686

Ah, just a few things in the $20-$30 range that didn't seem too outlandish to me. When it gets down to those prices, I tend to not get too nit-picky.

But to me, charging five-hundred-fucking-dollars for Shockman is absurd.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 10/14/2011, 01:09 PMAh, just a few things in the $20-$30 range that didn't seem too outlandish to me. When it gets down to those prices, I tend to not get too nit-picky.

But to me, charging five-hundred-fucking-dollars for Shockman is absurd.
Yea I agree totally, I just wish he was willing to work with me more on the pricing for Lords of Thunder.. Oh well :)

allyourblood

Somebody just bought that sealed copy of Soldier Blade for $499. Unbelievable.

Where is fancy bred?

MotherGunner

-MG

SMF

Wow $499 for Soldier Blade, Its a good game but NOT that good.

I'm just wondering where did he pick all these games up? He has a lot of sealed games that he prolly picked up at Toys-R-Us when Turbo was going under.

MotherGunner

Why would anyone want to keep that game sealed....  *smh*
-MG

nat

Quote from: SMF on 10/14/2011, 04:38 PMWow $499 for Soldier Blade, Its a good game but NOT that good.

I'm just wondering where did he pick all these games up? He has a lot of sealed games that he prolly picked up at Toys-R-Us when Turbo was going under.
There were a number of UK sellers a couple years back that flooded the eBay market with sealed Turbo games at ridiculously low prices. SimpleSimon was one of them, I can't recall any others.

Dead Moon for $12, Ghost Manor for $15, Darkwing Duck for $10, etc. Most every game landed in the $10-$20 range. All brand new, all sealed.

It's conceivable this guy bought up a bunch of that stuff with the intention of doing exactly what he's doing.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

JapanTokei

I saw a copy of Camp California go for $100+ ???  I thought that was a crappy game, no?  was curious enough to want to pick it up for $20 but wow... even this title goes for $100?  WTF.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140615979789?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

OldRover

That's not gouging per se... the initial bid on it was quite low. It's just in a bidding war is all... some people are willing to pay stupid prices for it.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Senshi

PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

TheClash603

I know this is a gouging thread and a lot of you are angry at these prices...  but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Camp California was actually a steal at that price.

BlueBMW

A copy was available on Amazon at the same time as that auction for $50 shipped lol.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

nat

Quote from: TheClash603 on 10/15/2011, 04:38 PMI know this is a gouging thread and a lot of you are angry at these prices...  but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Camp California was actually a steal at that price.
What the hell?
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

djolof

I picked up a copy on ebay a year ago for $9.99...

TheClash603

Quote from: nat on 10/15/2011, 07:23 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 10/15/2011, 04:38 PMI know this is a gouging thread and a lot of you are angry at these prices...  but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Camp California was actually a steal at that price.
What the hell?
Had to show my undying love for this game, that's all.

Camp California is to me, like J.J. and Jeff is to some others on this forum.

nat

It's a great game, I agree, but hardly worth that sort of money.

Very few games, in my opinion, are $100 material. Actually, come to think of it, games in general aren't really worth that sort of cash to me. Doesn't mean I haven't spent $100 on a game or two in my time, but having said that, I have no problem waiting a long time (years, in some cases) for a game to come along at a decent price.

CC ran me about $45 when I picked it up two or three years back, and I think that's an excellent price point for it.

guyjin

If I were evil, I'd make replica turbob boxes, fill them with styrofoam and screws, seal them, and sell them on ebay for ludicrous prices. The collectors would never know the difference!

jperryss

Quote from: guyjin on 10/16/2011, 12:43 PMIf I were evil, I'd make replica turbob boxes, fill them with styrofoam and screws, seal them, and sell them on ebay for ludicrous prices. The collectors would never know the difference!
If you were a little more evil than that, you'd get them VGA graded first. :D

allyourblood

Where is fancy bred?

SMF

LMAO THEY ARE FREAKING NUTS IF THEY THINK THAT GAMES WORTH $75

Mishran

Mathius

NecroPhile

Chew Man Fu has been one of the pricier titles for years, and while $75 is by no means cheap, it's par for the course for eBay (last two sold for $75 and $79 shipped).

blueraven

MotherGunner

-MG

allyourblood

I've been watching all copies of Chew Man Fu lately, out of curiosity. I bought mine for a third of what it goes for now (and figured that was a bit on the high side), just a couple months ago. The next copy went for around $50. The next, around $72. I don't really see any logic to the price climb, other than the holidays are approaching, or stupider/more impatient buyers are showing up.

Where is fancy bred?

NecroPhile

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/19/2011, 06:56 PMYet some of you are watching this shitty version closely....  dooooon't lie.  =)
Heh, I'll admit to watching it.  I wanna see how high it goes with its fucked up US and Canuckistan manuals.