Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMF

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/19/2011, 06:56 PMYet some of you are watching this shitty version closely....  dooooon't lie.  =)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220874961488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Ill bid $5 on it. Maybe go as high as $10. Just wait this time next year this game is gonna be as rare as Magical Chase lol
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

MotherGunner

Well since I found it, I guess I am technically watching it now.  Still if I really want that game, I'd just get BeBall.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

TheClash603

I think I paid less than $20 for my Chew Man Fu about two years ago.  This one definitely had a ridiculous rise in price.

allyourblood

Super Star Soldier is the other one that, sadly, has gone way up. Once again, I managed to snatch up a cheap one, but those are few and far between. The last two complete copies have sold in the $60s. That sucks! At least the card-only copies are still somewhat within reach of most folks.
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

Mathius

I sold my copy of SSS to Bucci for $20 a few weeks ago. I gave him a good deal but I don't think it's worth more than $30 complete.

allyourblood

Quote from: Mathius on 10/19/2011, 11:22 PMI sold my copy of SSS to Bucci for $20 a few weeks ago. I gave him a good deal but I don't think it's worth more than $30 complete.
Good on you! I got mine for $20 as well, complete. But that was pretty lucky, considering what all the others have gone for. And yes, after playing it for a while, I'd agree with you. For me, Blazing Lazers is the better game and costs very little.

Where is fancy bred?

TheClash603

I played the hell out of Chew Man Fu.  There is a ton of stages.  Well worth $20-$30.

allyourblood

Heck yeah. For me, CMF is tied with Cratermaze for awesome action/puzzle/maze fun.

Where is fancy bred?

Mathius

Quote from: allyourblood on 10/19/2011, 11:32 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 10/19/2011, 11:22 PMI sold my copy of SSS to Bucci for $20 a few weeks ago. I gave him a good deal but I don't think it's worth more than $30 complete.
Good on you! I got mine for $20 as well, complete. But that was pretty lucky, considering what all the others have gone for. And yes, after playing it for a while, I'd agree with you. For me, Blazing Lazers is the better game and costs very little.
BL is definitely the superior game. Compile has that effect on things. :)

MotherGunner

Someone BINed a SSS for ~15 shipped only yesterday.
-MG

sirhcman

roflmao

Act now!  There are only 2 available!

SMF

MotherGunner

I saw that, and I saw the $300 Lords of Thunder.. wtf?
-MG

Mathius

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/24/2011, 12:37 PMI saw that, and I saw the $300 Lords of Thunder.. wtf?
I bought LoT for $35 brand new just last year or so. What gives??? ...oh yeah. Greed. God I am retarded!  [-(

futureman2000

"I grade items as Very Good when they may contain minor cosmetic scratches to the game disc, the manual might have the page's corner bent a bit or when the game case shows some minor shelf wear."

Sounds like "used" to me...

allyourblood

I think I'm probably the only person who gets irked when sellers call TG16 games complete when they are very obviously missing the box. I can forgive some of them, since a lot of people don't know or don't remember the outer case, but some sellers list them as complete and then mention in the description "missing outer box". That makes my blood boil just a bit.

Where is fancy bred?

Mathius

You're not the only one. Some are probably tired of bitching about it, and others probably don't care about the outer boxes. I am one of them as I just don't have room for displaying those. I prefer to keep my Turbob in a CD rack.

Sadler

SNIP

sirhcman

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 11:03 AMOK, here's the deal. I just purchased some stupidly expensive stuff from powerupvideogames. The email address is raregamergirl@[removed for now]. Apparently raregamergirl has an extensive negative history. See here and my favorite here. My stuff hasn't arrived yet, but I'm now very worried. Let's just say I'll be out a shit ton of money if she is a scam artist and I won't be happy. I do have a tracking # for at least one of the items I ordered. I'll keep you all posted when/if the games arrive. She does have 7 negative feed backs in the past month, that's not good.
You won't be out anything if you paid through paypal.. File a claim and they will refund your money

cyloaiza

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 11:03 AM
Quote from: allyourblood on 10/14/2011, 12:28 AMSo this "powerupvideogames" outfit has shown up and absolutely carpet-bombed Ebay in all sorts of wonderful TurboGrafx stuff: used, new, complete, common, rare, tons of stuff.
But, most of their prices completely suck, and their "Best Offer" option is a joke. I've already made 3 reasonable offers on some items, and each one of them was shot down, without even so much as a counter-offer. It's a real shame when the fun stuff falls into the wrong hands.
OK, here's the deal. I just purchased some stupidly expensive stuff from powerupvideogames. The email address is raregamergirl@[removed for now]. Apparently raregamergirl has an extensive negative history. See here and my favorite here. My stuff hasn't arrived yet, but I'm now very worried. Let's just say I'll be out a shit ton of money if she is a scam artist and I won't be happy. I do have a tracking # for at least one of the items I ordered. I'll keep you all posted when/if the games arrive. She does have 7 negative feed backs in the past month, that's not good.
Thank
Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 11:03 AM
Quote from: allyourblood on 10/14/2011, 12:28 AMSo this "powerupvideogames" outfit has shown up and absolutely carpet-bombed Ebay in all sorts of wonderful TurboGrafx stuff: used, new, complete, common, rare, tons of stuff.

But, most of their prices completely suck, and their "Best Offer" option is a joke. I've already made 3 reasonable offers on some items, and each one of them was shot down, without even so much as a counter-offer. It's a real shame when the fun stuff falls into the wrong hands.
OK, here's the deal. I just purchased some stupidly expensive stuff from powerupvideogames. The email address is raregamergirl@[removed for now]. Apparently raregamergirl has an extensive negative history. See here and my favorite here. My stuff hasn't arrived yet, but I'm now very worried. Let's just say I'll be out a shit ton of money if she is a scam artist and I won't be happy. I do have a tracking # for at least one of the items I ordered. I'll keep you all posted when/if the games arrive. She does have 7 negative feed backs in the past month, that's not good.
Thanks for doing your part in contributing to the inflated market for turbo games. [-(

Sadler

Actually, maybe I was a little harsh. I bought 3 games before this most recent batch from her, and all arrived very quick and in good condition. I did pay through paypal though, so assuming something does go wrong it's nice to know my bases are covered.

Sadler

Quote from: cyloaiza on 10/25/2011, 11:11 AMThanks for doing your part in contributing to the inflated market for turbo games.  [-(
:roll:

We've had this discussion before. I think even in this very thread. I honestly don't feel like rehashing it, but if you honestly just care about playing the games, there are plenty of cheap ways to do so. If you want to have original copies and want them now, you will pay for it. I'm alright with that.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 11:18 AMIf you want to have original copies and want them now, you will pay for it. I'm alright with that.
As previously noted, you're part of the problem not the solution.  Bravo.  Whatever happened to being patient the next time?

P.S. - was it the $500 Soldier Blade, the $600 Dynastic Hero, or both?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Sadler

Dynastic Hero.

Before I go on, let me make it abundantly clear: I like you NecroPhile, as well as just about everyone on this board. You guys are great people, very knowledgeable, and always willing to help fellow turbo fans. I truly appreciate it.

Now, having said that, I'm feeling cranky, let's hash this out again. Could you spend every waking moment scouring garage sales, flea markets and craigslist hoping you find a copy of Dyanstic Hero for $0.50? Yeah. Could you hope to run across a misspelled copy with a BIN of $50 that lasts for 15 seconds? Sure. Are those realistic ways to find these rare games? No. Not at all, and I think you are kidding yourself if you believe that. I don't care that some of you found Magical Chase 6 years ago for $5. Congrats. That isn't the common case. So what are we really looking at here? Supply vs demand. Obviously there are people willing to pay these prices. Do I think an $80 Keith Courage is stupid? Of course! If there were copies of Dynastic Hero on ebay every day for $50, then $600 would be stupid. There aren't. $500-600 for that game is common. This isn't a "problem," it's the realities of economics. I'm sorry if some of you can't afford a $2000 Magical Chase. Honestly, right now I can't either. But I'm not going to condemn someone as "destroying the turbo market" if they pay that. They have the money to afford it, they want it, and that's fine.  

Seriously, you want to play these games cheaply? You've got 3 options: a) Buy it on Wii VC, b) Buy a PC Engine version or c) play it on emulators. Have to have a physical copy of the US version? Then pay the going rate. I've done it all ways. Now I want a complete US collection. Out of maybe 130 US titles I own, I think there's only 3 I've paid more than $100 for.

I'm not interested in destroying anything turbo related. I support homebrew. I offer to mail around memorabilia for free. Shit, I'll give away sealed copies of TV Sports games (sorry, that's all I've got duplicates of) to anyone that needs them. But if I want to spend my hard earned money on something, then that's my deal.

sirhcman

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 12:02 PMBut if I want to spend my hard earned money on something, then that's my deal and fuck you for suggesting I'm ruining anything.
I have no problem with what you said up until the second half of your last sentence.. Don't forget you are in an ebay gouging thread and should probably expect these sorts of comments

Sadler

Quote from: guest on 10/25/2011, 12:08 PM
Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 12:02 PMBut if I want to spend my hard earned money on something, then that's my deal and fuck you for suggesting I'm ruining anything.
I have no problem with what you said up until the second half of your last sentence.. Don't forget you are in an ebay gouging thread and should probably expect these sorts of comments
Fair point. Edited.

SMF

I got Cyber-Core from them a few weeks ago and received it in a timely maner. You should be fine.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 12:02 PMI'm sorry if some of you can't afford a $2000 Magical Chase.
I and surely many others here could easily afford to blow $10,000 (a.k.a. less than one meth batch) to amass an insta-collection.  The point is not personal affordability but rather the stupidity of the 'gotta have it now' collectors that will pay anything just to complete their 1337 retro-collection and be the envy of all their friends.

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 12:02 PMBut I'm not going to condemn someone as "destroying the turbo market" if they pay that.
But they are destroying the market.  Every time some johnny-come-lately buys a game at whatever silly price it's being offered, they're artificially inflating the price, which probably makes them happy and 'proves' that their collection was a sound investment.  Bravo on your hollow victory - no doubt you (a collective you, not you specifically) will sleep soundly knowing the awesomeness and expense of your collection; no less certain is the fact that another impetuous clown will snap it up when the bauble inevitably loses it's gleam and it's time to sell.

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 12:02 PMSeriously, you want to play these games cheaply? You've got 3 options: a) Buy it on Wii VC, b) Buy a PC Engine version or c) play it on emulators.
Or d) learn patience and buy it at a more reasonable cost.  Many of my games came from eBay, yet I'd wager that I've spent half as much amassing my collection as what you've spent on yours.

Why are you in this thread?  It's clearly for bitching about eBay price gouges, not talking about your unfounded troubles with a particular seller.  I'd say fuck you, but clearly eBay has already done the deed, repeatedly.

Sadler

Quote from: guest on 10/25/2011, 01:17 PMI and surely many others here could easily afford to blow $10,000 (a.k.a. less than one meth batch) to amass an insta-collection.  The point is not personal affordability but rather the stupidity of the 'gotta have it now' collectors that will pay anything just to complete their 1337 retro-collection and be the envy of all their friends.
I'll be honest with you: my friends don't give a shit. They played SNES and Genesis BITD and they play PS3 and 360 now. I don't collect turbo for my friends, this forum or anyone aside from myself.

QuoteBut they are destroying the market.  Every time some johnny-come-lately buys a game at whatever silly price it's being offered, they're artificially inflating the price, which probably makes them happy and 'proves' that their collection was a sound investment.  Bravo on your hollow victory - no doubt you (a collective you, not you specifically) will sleep soundly knowing the awesomeness and expense of your collection; no less certain is the fact that another impetuous clown will snap it up when the bauble inevitably loses it's gleam and it's time to sell.
Sure, and if people would only pay $5 for a Stradivarius, they'd only be worth $5? Anyway, exactly how long do you think I've been playing TG? Around 20 years. How long do you think I've been collecting for? After selling off my initial collection in college, I started rebuilding in 2009. How many turbo games do you think I've sold in the past 10 years? None. Not one. I won't either, I've made that mistake before and I've regretted it since. I don't know why you are under the impression I'm a "johnny-come-lately". I'm not interested in an e-penis measuring contest, but I want you to understand I'm not some 15 year old that saw TG games on the Wii and decided he had to have all of them.

QuoteOr d) learn patience and buy it at a more reasonable cost.  Many of my games came from eBay, yet I'd wager that I've spent half as much amassing my collection as what you've spent on yours.
To be clear, most of my games haven't come from ebay. Again, congrats if you've gotten games cheaper. I don't doubt it. When did you start collecting? What games are you still missing? How long have you been looking for the games you are still missing? How much are you willing to pay for the games you still need?

QuoteWhy are you in this thread?  It's clearly for bitching about eBay price gouges, not talking about your unfounded troubles with a particular seller.  I'd say fuck you, but clearly eBay has already done the deed, repeatedly.
Why am I posting in a thread about ebay gouging alerting people to a potential scam artist? You can't figure that out? Was it unfounded? It appears to be, and I regret saying it. I won't apologize for trying to warn people about rip off artists though.

JapanTokei

Sadler - i dont see anything wrong with you warning us on this guy.  Nor the fact u decided to pick up dynastic for 600 - i had the same itch too.  Before this gets out of control i do think we should not curse each other off on this thread...  We are all drawn to this board and the games for diff reasons- i for one loves traveling bqck in time and reliving my childhood- i find it a great way to get away from the chaotic, cutthroat competite corp enviorment i live in every day.  I therefore know what u feel when a title youve been afte pops up and money becomes secondary, and time is more of a priority.  Been there done that.  Although the flip side is also super fun - the treasure hunting approqch.

Overall i think as long as we are all respectful to the board memebrs and share different perspectives, there is no harm.  From my 1.5 years since joining this board i find 97% of members are cool and each have unique personqlities that i enjoy and view as friends with.  Aside from witnessing Royvegas blantantly ripping off memebrs last year and selling implode all that, i think we all get along well great and thats what makes this community so tight and awesome imo.

Game on and lets be respectful to each other!!   I personally got am itch to get back into SMS and have my eyes on a sms system these days.   Lol.  There are ebay gorgin that too.  Graded golden axe warrior for 300...  Shiiiiit

Sadler

Well said JapanTokei. I apologize for being disrespectful, I edited my post to take that out. I meant what I said about liking most everyone on this board. That includes Necro! He's funny in chat and posts good stuff. :D Believe it or not, I even understand where he's coming. I freely admit that things like $80 Keith Courage games are stupid, and I don't have any respect for sellers like that. I think where we disagree is whether or not Dynastic Hero should go for $600.

Anyway, NecroPhile, I'm sorry for being an asshole and taking it personally. I hope you accept my apology. I think I'll back out of this thread now, back to your regularly scheduled ebay bashing. :)

JapanTokei

Coolio, Sadler!  Im off to bed - baby duty has my body clock all fried up here its 4 am here in singapore.   Btw, if after you play dynastic and gets bored with it , i will take it fro. You for 200..  Lol.  I just bought the jp version to appease my urge to splurge last month and my wifeys friend will be bringi g it to my house when she visits fro
 Japan i december.  I will beef up my japanese so i can get by dynastic with $10 instead then :)

NecroPhile

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 01:54 PMSure, and if people would only pay $5 for a Stradivarius, they'd only be worth $5?
And if Bomberman '93 is worth $166 and Dynastic Hero is worth $600, why have multiple copies of the former since sold for under $100 and a copy of the latter is currently available for $500?  You just paid the 'going rate', right?

Paying even more than the usual eBay gouge job is why I say that you're a part of the escalating price problem, but why do you care what I think?  It's not like I brought out the pitchforks and torches or questioned your sister's purity, and you don't even see high prices as a problem anyway.

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 01:54 PMI don't know why you are under the impression I'm a "johnny-come-lately".
It comes from your near total lack of patience coupled with your willingness to buy a title at seemingly any price once you've set your sights on it.  Plus this:

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 01:54 PMAfter selling off my initial collection in college, I started rebuilding in 2009. How many turbo games do you think I've sold in the past 10 years? None. Not one
Built your collection in under two years?  Sounds like a relative novice at Turbob collecting to me (your experience from twenty years ago is merely anecdotal, as it bears little on buying games today).

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 01:54 PMWhy am I posting in a thread about ebay gouging alerting people to a potential scam artist? You can't figure that out? Was it unfounded? It appears to be, and I regret saying it. I won't apologize for trying to warn people about rip off artists though.
Stuff the indignant victim bull.  If you truly wanted to warn us of a perceived threat, don't bury it within a wholly unrelated thread.

Sadler

I guess I'll take that as "apology not accepted." :(

NecroPhile

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 05:13 PMI guess I'll take that as "apology not accept." :(
Sure it's accepted, though hardly necessary; I thought it was a mostly civil discussion, and my last message was merely me explaining my reasoning.  Is this a topic that can't be discussed at all?

Opinions vary: some peeps here think that any dealings on eBay are part of the problem, some think it's all supply and demand, some (like me) are somewhere between the two, and some simply don't give a shit.

SMF

WAIT YOU MEAN KEITH COURAGE AIN'T WORTH $80? Crap and here I've been buying up all these copys to resell and retire in a year ;-)

Sadler

As I've learned the hard way at work many times, it can be difficult to read emotion over text. I certainly don't want to step on any toes and I don't want to clog up your thread with a slap fight. I do understand where you are coming from, though we clearly don't agree on all points.

I'm more than willing to continue the discussion if you'd like. I promise to leave the "fuck you"s out of it this time. :) I really am curious about some of the questions I asked you earlier, just to get a better read on what your comfort level for purchasing a game is. Are there titles you are still looking for? How long are you willing to wait for them? What would you be willing to pay for them?

If you'd rather spin off a different thread, that's cool too.

Mathius

Patience is definitely a virtue. For example, when I finally acquired my copy of Beyond Shadowgate a few months ago I didn't pay nearly what it goes for on eBay. I ended up trading a semi common game, an Alien Crush box, and a little bit of $$.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 05:39 PMI promise to leave the "fuck you"s out of it this time. :)
We can save 'em for those that really deserve it.  Like the French.

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 05:39 PMAre there titles you are still looking for?
Essentially, anything I don't already have.  Of the pricey titles ($100+), methinks the only ones I don't have yet are Dynastic Hero, Super Air Zonk, and Magical Chase.

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 05:39 PMHow long are you willing to wait for them?
'Til the cows come home.

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 05:39 PMWhat would you be willing to pay for them?
For most games, I consider anything at the low end of eBay prices to be fair, but that doesn't work too well for less common games, like the above three.  Off hand I couldn't say how much I'd pay for one of those today, but it certainly wouldn't be as much as the recent high BIN prices.

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 05:39 PMIf you'd rather spin off a different thread, that's cool too.
Nah, discussing what we consider a gouge job to be is pretty close to the topic.

Damon Plus

Quote from: Mathius on 10/25/2011, 06:01 PMPatience is definitely a virtue. For example, when I finally acquired my copy of Beyond Shadowgate a few months ago I didn't pay nearly what it goes for on eBay. I ended up trading a semi common game, an Alien Crush box, and a little bit of $$.
Something similar happened to me, altough not quite on the same scale. Instead of buying the Alien Crush I saw at 20€ I waited for a better deal. Just 2 months later, I got Alien Crush, World Class Baseball and Power Golf, all 3, unopened, for 15€.

RoyVegas

Quote from: JapanTokei on 10/25/2011, 03:34 PMAside from witnessing Royvegas blantantly ripping off memebrs last year and selling implode all that, i think we all get along well great and thats what makes this community so tight and awesome imo.
While people may have not liked my pricing on my collection that I sold, I never ripped off anyone on this forum or anywhere else.  If you have any proof of me "ripping anyone off" please provide it.
All is well. :)

BigT

Quote from: Sadler on 10/25/2011, 12:02 PMDynastic Hero.

Before I go on, let me make it abundantly clear: I like you NecroPhile, as well as just about everyone on this board. You guys are great people, very knowledgeable, and always willing to help fellow turbo fans. I truly appreciate it.

Now, having said that, I'm feeling cranky, let's hash this out again. Could you spend every waking moment scouring garage sales, flea markets and craigslist hoping you you find a copy of Dyanstic Hero for $0.50? Yeah. Could you hope to run across a misspelled copy with a BIN of $50 that lasts for 15 seconds? Sure. Are those realistic ways to find these rare games? No. Not at all, and I think you are kidding yourself if you believe that. I don't care that some of you found Magical Chase 6 years ago for $5. Congrats. That isn't the common case. So what are we really looking at here? Supply vs demand. Obviously there are people willing to pay these prices. Do I think an $80 Keith Courage is stupid? Of course! If there were copies of Dynastic Hero on ebay every day for $50, then $600 would be stupid. There aren't. $500-600 for that game is common. This isn't a "problem," it's the realities of economics. I'm sorry if some of you can't afford a $2000 Magical Chase. Honestly, right now I can't either. But I'm not going to condemn someone as "destroying the turbo market" if they pay that. They have the money to afford it, they want it, and that's fine. 

Seriously, you want to play these games cheaply? You've got 3 options: a) Buy it on Wii VC, b) Buy a PC Engine version or c) play it on emulators. Have to have a physical copy of the US version? Then pay the going rate. I've done it all ways. Now I want a complete US collection. Out of maybe 130 US titles I own, I think there's only 3 I've paid more than $100 for.

I'm not interested in destroying anything turbo related. I support homebrew. I offer to mail around memorabilia for free. Shit, I'll give away sealed copies of TV Sports games (sorry, that's all I've got duplicates of) to anyone that needs them. But if I want to spend my hard earned money on something, then that's my deal.
I agree with the above.

People have the right to list a game on ebay for whatever they want and similarly people have the right to pay whatever they want.

For some people, time happens to be a more precious commodity than money... I still (as a holdover from times when I was a poor student) probably tend to spend way too much time attempting to get good deals.  Now with a job and more personal responsibilities, it would probably serve me better to spend more money and gain more time... I could probably just pick up an extra shift at work and make up the difference... while overall spending less time... but it's a hard habit to break... still refreshing ebay trying to catch that $15 BIN "Magikal Chaze"  :D

CrackTiger

Magical Chase is purchased for $5 much more often than it is at $5000 - $10000, or rare NES Sports games selling for $30000 - $50000.

None of the people saying that games can be found at reasonable prices is saying that the games are only worth the least they have ever sold for. It's only pro-record high selling prices people who are claiming that games are worth every bit as much as anyone has possibly sold them for.

"Possibly " because record highs on eBay arent an indication of an actual sale or intention. Aside from all the fake bidding and fake selling that goes on with eBay, market manipulators who buy every game up to a certain price with the sole intention of controlling the market arent buying games as games nor games as collectibles based on what they value them for or even what they think that others value them at. They are doing something outside of all that and itscthese artificial spikes mixed in with genuine purchasing that throw off people who collect games they arent familiar with or care what their actual "values" might be. Their understanding of the market starts and ends with the recent history, or worse, the current asking prices of games on eBay.

Those people alone support the others manipulating the market. People who say that finding games for less is complete fantasy are free to continue paying whatever they feel that they must. But they can't change the reality of the rest of us who ARE actually finding all these games for less. It will continue to be b.s. to you, but for the rest of us it is really happening and you can't change that.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

BlueBMW

Case in point....  a few weeks ago a copy of beyond shadowgate sold for $400+... just today another similar copy sold for just over $200...  so what is Beyond Shadowgate really worth?  Ill bet the second seller was expecting to get $400 for his/her copy just like the other guy (of whom there is some suspicion of shilling etc)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

CrackTiger

I also find it humorous when pro-high selling price people, who often literally say "good for them" about someone selling a game for the most that they can get ("it's their right!"), no matter how cheap they got it for... -ask the rest of us where they can find all the cheap games ("prove it!").  :lol:

Roy may not have ripped anyone off, but people like him have made it harder for you guys, especially those who want to jump into a community and instantly reap all the benefits.

Also, many of us who make the biggest argument against high prices = absolute value, arent cheapskates. We actually spend hundreds of dollars on single game related items.

All that you are buying when you pay a high+ price for a game is time. A fraction of that purchase of time is the actual game. I might have bought Magical Chase and Cotton new for $5 each, but I also paid over $100 each for Golden Axe, Super Darius and Side Arms Special. I also spent over $1200 to aquire my first Turbo CD. I couldn't be happier with those purchases. Instead of waiting until I found them cheap, I paid a premium to have them as soon as possible. The difference between myself and modern price-based collectors, is that I don't fool myself about what I'm really paying for.

As gross as it is when I hear people say that their overpriced purchase is "an investment", and they are supporting price jacking on purpose... It only makes me wonder why these financial geniuses even bother with game collecting, since their stashes of Beanie Babies and Pogs should be security enough for their future. :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

JapanTokei

BlackTiger!  been a while since I saw ya on the boards...

I agree, the most important thing is for people to not just pickup the games for "investment" purposes, if they have no intention of playing/collecting them, rather just to resale them later.  If that's the case, move onto the stock market !

GameFreak

Some deals I got recently Im happy with....
I got Toilet Kids on ebay for $25 and STRIP Fighter for $18. The games didnt have manuals but the price was  :shock: amazing. There is a complete copy of STRIP Fighter II on ebay now for $240, no thanks! And Toilet kids goes for about 70-140 on ebay, no thanks. Also I got an Arcade Card Pro for $24 which isn't too bad. If you are patient you can still score deals on ebay!!!

Also recently I found a turbo grafx 16 with the cd attachment in a small "mom and pop" gamestore. It had one loose hu card (r-type) but no cd games or system card. The owner said he was selling it cheap since he had no way to test the cd unit. I popped in a music cd to see if the laser works, which it did. So I bought it for the asking price of $42 !!!

So for about $110 total I got Toilet Kids, Strip Fighter, R-type, Arcade Card PRO, and a turbo grafx16 complete cd system setup.
It's actually been a good year!

NecroPhile

Quote from: RoyVegas on 10/25/2011, 07:59 PMWhile people may have not liked my pricing on my collection that I sold, I never ripped off anyone on this forum or anywhere else.  If you have any proof of me "ripping anyone off" please provide it.
"Ripoff" does not equal "scam".  As you say, some cared not for your prices, and one definition for ripoff is 'paying more than something is worth'. 

Sadler

Quote from: guest on 10/25/2011, 06:39 PMWe can save 'em for those that really deserve it.  Like the French.
:lol: Deal.

QuoteEssentially, anything I don't already have.  Of the pricey titles ($100+), methinks the only ones I don't have yet are Dynastic Hero, Super Air Zonk, and Magical Chase.
Sounds like our goals are the same. This does bring up the question of what games you believe are $100+ titles. Here are the titles I'm missing (no, I don't care about Bikini Girls or whatever, nor different colored Champions Forever-at least not for now :D ):

Beyond Shadowgate
Bonk 3
Cotton
Legend Of Hero Tonma
Magical Chase
Might And Magic 3
Soldier Blade
Super Air Zonk
Terraforming

Note that pretty much every one of those titles are generally considered expensive, I started with the cheap games. I don't think I'd be upset to pay more than $100 for any of those, though I'm harboring hope that I'll find a loose Bonk 3 for less. Several of those I full expect to pay more than $200 for. Magical Chase is the only one on the list I'd pay $500 or more for.

Quote'Til the cows come home.
I think this is the major area we disagree on, but maybe I should give a bit of context. First, prices are dynamic and with few exceptions they don't tend to get cheaper. Even in the 2 years I've been trying to collect, prices have jumped quite a bit (perhaps due to my own actions). However, it seems safe to guess that the longer I wait, the more I'm likely to pay for a given game. Moreover, I do have a decent job right now and due to the unfortunate death of my grandmother back in March, I've got some extra savings.

To put some time frame on it, I'd like to finish off my collection sometime in the next couple years. I certainly don't want to wait indefinitely to complete my collection. I fully expect Magical Chase to be the last title I buy and I don't expect it to be cheap.

QuoteFor most games, I consider anything at the low end of eBay prices to be fair, but that doesn't work too well for less common games, like the above three.  Off hand I couldn't say how much I'd pay for one of those today, but it certainly wouldn't be as much as the recent high BIN prices.
Cop out! :D That's cool, I'm sure it depends on any number of environmentally dependent variables.