OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jperryss

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/12/2012, 09:22 PMI don't understand how this item is remaining at the same price but the bids are increasing.  How does that work?
Not sure, but the bid history shows just that one guy. Maybe he updated his max bid a few times and that counts as additional bids?

FiftyQuid

Well that makes sense, sort of...  I don't know why he'd up his bid 5 times.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Frank_fjs

Yeah, that's just one guy bumping up his max bid, he must really want it. The dollar amount won't change until someone else bids on the item.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Frank_fjs on 07/12/2012, 10:00 PMYeah, that's just one guy bumping up his max bid, he must really want it. The dollar amount won't change until someone else bids on the item.
Kinda defeats the purpose of putting in a max bid.  If you only can afford $250, then bid $250, but whoever is bidder seems to be second and third guessing themselves.

SMF

Yea everytime you bid on and item even if its 1 person it counts as a bid placed. Maybe he gets to bid everytime his wifes let's him lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

Frank_fjs

He's probably getting a little anxious and needlessly increasing his max bid (which could be $500 for all we know) to avoid a snipe bid defeating him at the end. There's a weird psychology surrounding eBay and auctions, people tend to spend more than they would usually be willing to spend.

I've seen many a time where two identical items have been listed on eBay, one at a BIN of $100 for example and the other as a .99 cent auction. You'd think that people would be inclined to go for the auction to have a shot at landing the item for less than the $100 BIN item, yet by the time the auction ends 2 idiots have pushed the price up to $160. Go figure.

GameFreak

making 5 bids makes sense in a certain way. He can see who, and how fast his other lower bids are getting beat since he can see his amounts. Yeah it's weird logic but it makes sense in some situations.

jperryss

Quote from: GameFreak on 07/12/2012, 10:43 PMmaking 5 bids makes sense in a certain way. He can see who, and how fast his other lower bids are getting beat since he can see his amounts. Yeah it's weird logic but it makes sense in some situations.
Except he's doing it by himself, with no other bidders, so it makes no sense. :D

He's probably anxious and can't decide on a max. Like someone else said above, eBay messes with people when they get outbid. You're supposed to put your max bid in at the start. As soon as you get beat, you think "Maybe another five bucks." Hell, eBay emails you immediately to get you to bid again.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: jperryss on 07/12/2012, 10:55 PM
Quote from: GameFreak on 07/12/2012, 10:43 PMmaking 5 bids makes sense in a certain way. He can see who, and how fast his other lower bids are getting beat since he can see his amounts. Yeah it's weird logic but it makes sense in some situations.
Except he's doing it by himself, with no other bidders, so it makes no sense. :D

He's probably anxious and can't decide on a max. Like someone else said above, eBay messes with people when they get outbid. You're supposed to put your max bid in at the start. As soon as you get beat, you think "Maybe another five bucks." Hell, eBay emails you immediately to get you to bid again.
This is why you always snipe, preferably with a service. You put what you want to pay, and nothing more. It prevents the ebay psychology from kicking in.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Mathius

Bernie

Mathius

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Mathius on 07/13/2012, 12:17 AM
Quote from: Bernie on 07/12/2012, 11:36 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 07/12/2012, 11:20 PMSomebody here really needs to buy this before it falls in the wrong hands

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dungeon-Explorer-II-2-TurboGrafx-CD-1993-VG-condition-Turbo-Duo-USA-version-/280920510189?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item41682aceed#ht_500wt_1416
Damn thats a good deal!!
I would do it but I got my money tied up elsewhere.
I can try.  I have some funds available.  I'd need your help and experience though.  What is too much to pay?  $80 limit?

Mathius

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/13/2012, 12:30 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 07/13/2012, 12:17 AM
Quote from: Bernie on 07/12/2012, 11:36 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 07/12/2012, 11:20 PMSomebody here really needs to buy this before it falls in the wrong hands

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dungeon-Explorer-II-2-TurboGrafx-CD-1993-VG-condition-Turbo-Duo-USA-version-/280920510189?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item41682aceed#ht_500wt_1416
Damn thats a good deal!!
I would do it but I got my money tied up elsewhere.
I can try.  I have some funds available.  I'd need your help and experience though.  What is too much to pay?  $80 limit?
Pick it up for the Buy it Now price. That is the cheapest I have seen that game is years!

Edit: Never mind. Bidding has started. It had a BIN price of $90!

FiftyQuid

Sorry, there was no BIN when I viewed the link.  There was a bid in place.

[EDIT] That listing I posted about with a $230 bid ended.  The guy ended up bidding two more times.  :-k  The end price was $230 with 7 bids.  Weird.

csgx1

$90 was a good deal.  Most likely will go higher after someone killed the BIN.

FiftyQuid

He has Lords Of Thunder for $49.99 BIN.  I haven't seen one of those for under $70.

[EDIT] Nice!  He's a Canadian.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/13/2012, 12:52 AMHe has Lords Of Thunder for $49.99 BIN.  I haven't seen one of those for under $70.

I put a bid in the dungeon explorer 2, but I doubt I can go over $80 on it. If I do win it, I will put up my japanese version up for a raffle.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/13/2012, 12:57 AM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/13/2012, 12:52 AMHe has Lords Of Thunder for $49.99 BIN.  I haven't seen one of those for under $70.

I put a bid in the dungeon explorer 2, but I doubt I can go over $80 on it. If I do win it, I will put up my japanese version up for a raffle.
Good luck!

SMF

Whoever bid on it first was a moron, Its deff gonna sell for over $90. If i had seen it i would have bought it and relisted it for ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS MUAH HA HA LOL.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

Bernie

Quote from: SMF on 07/13/2012, 03:42 AMWhoever bid on it first was a moron, Its deff gonna sell for over $90. If i had seen it i would have bought it and relisted it for ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS MUAH HA HA LOL.
Yeah, they certainly were.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Bernie on 07/13/2012, 05:42 AM
Quote from: SMF on 07/13/2012, 03:42 AMWhoever bid on it first was a moron, Its deff gonna sell for over $90. If i had seen it i would have bought it and relisted it for ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS MUAH HA HA LOL.
Yeah, they certainly were. 
Did you guys not read post #2617?  He didn't have $90 to spend.

I see Lords of Thunder is gone.  Anyone here snag it?  I couldn't justify the purchase as my TG-CD is in pieces right now.

NecroPhile

Too late now, but I woulda bought that DE II for $90 and resold it here.  I don't need another copy, but I'd have done it just to keep it away from the rarez collectors and resellers.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

tpivette

Damn, I wouldve purchased DE2 for $90, but i missed the BIN... guess it pays to check the forums here every few minutes so as not to miss anything.

I've wanted to play that game ever since its release when I was a kid. I've owned DE1 since 1990 and loved that game

EDIT: WOW! I just checked the auction and its already up to $81 with 6 days left... insane. Looks like I wont be getting that one
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

NecroPhile

You can always get the PCE version for cheap.  It's playable without the translation.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 07/13/2012, 12:02 PMYou can always get the PCE version for cheap.  It's playable without the translation.
Yeah I got the PCE version for under $20 here. Sorry guys, I tried to get it for under $80, guess it was a pipe dream. Would have raffled the PCE version too if I won...

Mathius

I'll pray to the Turbo gods that this copy of DEII doesn't fall in the hands of the enemy.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Mathius on 07/13/2012, 11:15 PMI'll pray to the Turbo gods that this copy of DEII doesn't fall in the hands of the enemy.
Its already beyond what I can pay for it. I'm sorry, but $100 is too much for a video game and if I paid anymore than that the wife would murder me in my sleep. :P

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Mathius on 07/13/2012, 11:15 PMI'll pray to the Turbo gods that this copy of DEII doesn't fall in the hands of the enemy.
Who is "the enemy?" Anyone who is paying top dollar for this is going to be a collector. Yeesh.

That said, I'm very, very, very happy to have my copy of DE2. It is my favorite game on the system (TG16 and TGCD) hands down.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 07/13/2012, 11:41 PM
Who is "the enemy?" Anyone who is paying top dollar for this is going to be a collector. Yeesh.
Collectors don't bother me. It's those who pay too much and drive the prices up (which we complain about in nearly every post in this thread).

PikachuWarrior

Paying too much is subjective. Maybe they don't mind the higher price and just want the game (to play). There are always two sides of the equation.

For instance, there's this PS1 RPG called Tales of Destiny 2. One week it goes for over $100, a few weeks later there is one auction that sells for $35 complete/shipped. It's a crapshoot!
IMG

bartre

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/14/2012, 02:21 AMPaying too much is subjective. Maybe they don't mind the higher price and just want the game (to play). There are always two sides of the equation.

For instance, there's this PS1 RPG called Tales of Destiny 2. One week it goes for over $100, a few weeks later there is one auction that sells for $35 complete/shipped. It's a crapshoot!
agreed, i had the opportunity to buy ninja gaiden trilogy on snes for $40, but i passed because i felt it was too much for that particular copy (looked like ass on a butt)
but now i look on ebay and ones that are worse are going for 3X that, WTF?!

as for DEII, it's going to be money, and lots of it I paid $200 for mine, and if memory serves, Mati has a copy that he paid about that for.

*EDIT*
yeah, i paid a lot, but it was from a regular here and the game is sooooooo much better than #1 imo.

CrackTiger

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 07/13/2012, 11:41 PM
No, it's people who have zero interest in the game to play or as a collectible, who snatch up every game at or below "market value" to artificially shrink supply online, then ransom them for ridiculous BIN prices.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

VestCunt

Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/14/2012, 12:07 PMNo, it's people who have zero interest in the game to play or as a collectible....
The definition should end at "play" because collectors also drive up prices. Blaming all of the gouging on other gougers is silly. The number of collectors trying to acquire a complete U.S. set continues to grow despite sky-high prices. Collectors are fully aware of the insane market they're getting into, yet they continue to compete for extremely expensive games and feed the gougers. Basically, any BIN or fixed-priced purchase that's been listed for more than 30 seconds is supporting a gouger. A collector will pay $100+ for the last games in a set, while a gamer will buy a loosy, an import version, or an entirely different game that's more fun.

Obviously, a gamer playing vintage games on original hardware is also part "collector" by default; most of us fall somewhere in-between. And I know someone is going to say "na-uh! I'm a collector and I don't feed the gougers!" Well, pat yourself on the back. A lot of us are holding out for a $100 Magical Chase, but sitting on a pipe dream or "collecting" one new game every two years is a lot different than the legion of active collectors out there.
Topic Adjourned.

PikachuWarrior

People who pay high prices can be gamers looking to PLAY the game. Like if I came across a copy of Beyond Shadowgate for less than $150, I would buy it to play and collect (not to resell).

Sure there are other emulation methods, but what's the fun in that?
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: VestCunt on 07/14/2012, 02:36 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/14/2012, 12:07 PMNo, it's people who have zero interest in the game to play or as a collectible....
The definition should end at "play" because collectors also drive up prices. Blaming all of the gouging on other gougers is silly. The number of collectors trying to acquire a complete U.S. set continues to grow despite sky-high prices. Collectors are fully aware of the insane market they're getting into, yet they continue to compete for extremely expensive games and feed the gougers. Basically, any BIN or fixed-priced purchase that's been listed for more than 30 seconds is supporting a gouger. A collector will pay $100+ for the last games in a set, while a gamer will buy a loosy, an import version, or an entirely different game that's more fun.

Obviously, a gamer playing vintage games on original hardware is also part "collector" by default; most of us fall somewhere in-between. And I know someone is going to say "na-uh! I'm a collector and I don't feed the gougers!" Well, pat yourself on the back. A lot of us are holding out for a $100 Magical Chase, but sitting on a pipe dream or "collecting" one new game every two years is a lot different than the legion of active collectors out there.
I was responding to the "enemy" label more than 'what drives stupid prices".

I regularly read posts from insta-collectors who actually brag about grossly overpaying for games. Often the same people will comment elsewhere about being torally oblivious to the most well-knowngames and turn out to be only researching "rare" games for consoles they know very little about. They tend to attempt to flip their "rare" games not long after for more than they overpaid, after the novelty of having them on a shelf wears thin.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

tpivette

Maybe we should setup a thread on here that other forum members can alert potential buyers (on this forum) of ebay "deals" so that they wont fall into the "wrong" hands. If everyone interested subscribes to this thread, they will be alerted when these deals arise and be able to jump on them. Just a thought...
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

FiftyQuid

Quote from: tpivette on 07/14/2012, 04:07 PMMaybe we should setup a thread on here that other forum members can alert potential buyers (on this forum) of ebay "deals" so that they wont fall into the "wrong" hands. If everyone interested subscribes to this thread, they will be alerted when these deals arise and be able to jump on them. Just a thought...
I like this idea.  DEII is a perfect example.  I would have bought it at the BIN price and resold it here for the same cost just to keep it within the PCEngineFX walls.  I didn't know how rare it was, and the BIN got away, but I would have bought it.  Then I could have sold it for $80+trade or something to break even.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/14/2012, 05:09 PM
Quote from: tpivette on 07/14/2012, 04:07 PMMaybe we should setup a thread on here that other forum members can alert potential buyers (on this forum) of ebay "deals" so that they wont fall into the "wrong" hands. If everyone interested subscribes to this thread, they will be alerted when these deals arise and be able to jump on them. Just a thought...
I like this idea.  DEII is a perfect example.  I would have bought it at the BIN price and resold it here for the same cost just to keep it within the PCEngineFX walls.  I didn't know how rare it was, and the BIN got away, but I would have bought it.  Then I could have sold it for $80+trade or something to break even.
I second that motion. It seems kind of silly this hasn't been done yet. Again, I know if I had the pce counterpart (or the tg16 version) I would raffle it off in a instant. Now to get back to business, I think this qualifies as a gouge:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Duo-COMPLETE-SYSTEM-Dungeon-Explorer-II-2-9-COMPLETE-Games-RARE-bundle-/320937051384?pt=Video_Games&hash=item4ab956c4f8 It even has a non original Dungeon Explorer 2 ie burned copy!

PikachuWarrior

Yeah, but at least that seller is saying it up-front and it's free. Though you would have to wonder if it (and the other games) has mysteriously brought up the price regardless.
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: bartre on 07/14/2012, 11:53 AM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 07/14/2012, 02:21 AMPaying too much is subjective. Maybe they don't mind the higher price and just want the game (to play). There are always two sides of the equation.

agreed, i had the opportunity to buy ninja gaiden trilogy on snes for $40, but i passed because i felt it was too much for that particular copy (looked like ass on a butt)
but now i look on ebay and ones that are worse are going for 3X that, WTF?!

as for DEII, it's going to be money, and lots of it I paid $200 for mine, and if memory serves, Mati has a copy that he paid about that for.

*EDIT*
yeah, i paid a lot, but it was from a regular here and the game is sooooooo much better than #1 imo.
I paid about $150 for my copy back a few years ago. Ironically, I enjoy the cheaper original Dungeon Explorer more.

CrackTiger

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/14/2012, 05:25 PM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/14/2012, 05:09 PM
I second that motion. It seems kind of silly this hasn't been done yet. Again, I know if I had the pce counterpart (or the tg16 version) I would raffle it off in a instant. Now to get back to business, I think this qualifies as a gouge:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Duo-COMPLETE-SYSTEM-Dungeon-Explorer-II-2-9-COMPLETE-Games-RARE-bundle-/320937051384?pt=Video_Games&hash=item4ab956c4f8 It even has a non original Dungeon Explorer 2 ie burned copy!
Beat-up worn TurboDuo + $50 of games = $580. The most I'd pay for a TurboDuo with that kind of description and the equivalent of no-photos is $80.

QuoteYeah, but at least that seller is saying it up-front and it's free. Though you would have to wonder if it (and the other games) has mysteriously brought up the price regardless.
The title is "Turbo Duo COMPLETE SYSTEM + Dungeon Explorer II 2 & 9 COMPLETE Games RARE bundle". He might as well title it with "TurboDuo + Complete set of U.S. TurboGrafx-16 games!" and in the description highlight Magical Chase and Dynastic Hero before going further into detail about how "since you are using the internet to view and bid on this auction, you therefore have access to the internet and therefore can download all the games for free. I have played downloaded discs on this system and they work great. These is a Free Bonus, there is no monetary value to them, if you don't want them, you can not download them."

The asking price is still much more than a non-worn "complete" TurboDuo, those cheap games and a legit Dungeon Explorer II go for separately on eBay. The BIN price is meant to confirm that DEII really is included before sifting through a wall of text, lest a superior collector snatch up the deal before you have a chance.

It's no different than a "Turbographics station + Magical Chase game" listing with a BIN of $400, in which a rom is including on a floppy disc or flashcard, but is a "free bonus", should you read that far down.

FiftyQuid

How much is too much for a Duo?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Duo-System-WITH-EXTRAS-Turbografx-16-TurboDuo-/251108070926?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3a7735160e

I've been shopping for one since 3.0 cards are stupid expensive.  I'm still in the "looking" phase.  I'd buy from here before going to FeeBay.

Bernie

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/15/2012, 08:30 AMHow much is too much for a Duo?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Duo-System-WITH-EXTRAS-Turbografx-16-TurboDuo-/251108070926?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3a7735160e

I've been shopping for one since 3.0 cards are stupid expensive.  I'm still in the "looking" phase.  I'd buy from here before going to FeeBay.
Don't buy that.  For one, its original and has not been capped.  Right off the bat he is wanting not too high of a price, but when you add in the $60.00 shipping price....WTF??   He does have a copy of BS, but its missing the manual and poster, so $150.00 seems a little high for that one too....yeah.. so I wont suggest that one either.

Sparky

Good thought but maybe make a thread in fighting street or in the F -eBay thread as only members see in there, non members/ lurkers cannot.

jperryss

Quote from: Bernie on 07/15/2012, 08:36 AM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/15/2012, 08:30 AMHow much is too much for a Duo?

I've been shopping for one since 3.0 cards are stupid expensive.  I'm still in the "looking" phase.  I'd buy from here before going to FeeBay.
Don't buy that.  For one, its original and has not been capped.  Right off the bat he is wanting not too high of a price, but when you add in the $60.00 shipping price....WTF??   He does have a copy of BS, but its missing the manual and poster, so $150.00 seems a little high for that one too....yeah.. so I wont suggest that one either.
The seller's feedback is also awful and his last feedback received (which was  neg) was 8 months ago.

PikachuWarrior

On top of that, he doesn't accept Paypal, but ProPay (whatever that is!)
IMG

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Bernie on 07/15/2012, 08:36 AMDon't buy that.  For one, its original and has not been capped.  Right off the bat he is wanting not too high of a price, but when you add in the $60.00 shipping price....WTF??   He does have a copy of BS, but its missing the manual and poster, so $150.00 seems a little high for that one too....yeah.. so I wont suggest that one either.
I wasn't going to buy it.  You'll be the first person I call when the time comes. :)

CPTRAVE

Propay:
The ProPay eAuction account is the easiest way for your eBay® buyers to pay. With ProPay's secure integrated checkout, your buyers pay immediately with their credit or debit cards, without having to log into or set up a separate account. They'll love the convenience, protection, and rewards from paying with credit or debit cards.

Currently, the ProPay eAuction account is exclusively for US-based eBay PowerSellers.

I had to look it up.

PikachuWarrior

At least that seller didn't ONLY accept money orders or something stupid where you can't exactly track if the recipient received it or not.
IMG