RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilykat

Not exactly price gouging but it smells of sneaky seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-TurboGrafx-16-System-Deck-with-Accessory-USED-/221079747236?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3379613aa4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-TurboGrafx-16-Console-Only-As-is-Untested-/190706964697?pt=Video_Games&hash=item2c670558d9#ht_2627wt_1357

2 auctions by the same seller.  One in "Good working condition" and other "as-is untested"

Clearly the seller could have tested  both systems but he choose not to test one of them.  Lazy? Or maybe he did test it and found it non working so he tries to pass it off as untested as it may get more money than a broken one.

PikachuWarrior

Yeah, when you have two consoles by the same seller and it's worded like that, it's pretty obvious that he's trying to pass an untested console as being broken internally. I'm sure there are a lot of people who do that--say they don't have a power cord or av cable or whatever, just to say it's untested, but in reality, it's broken.
IMG

FiftyQuid

Quote from: galam on 07/29/2012, 07:36 PMNot the sellers fault, but WOW, I really didn't expect this...
Call me ignorant, but I thought it would stay under 600.  Somebody must have just thrown in an outrageous number to win it.  Must be nice to be able to throw this kind of money around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280927151077?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Quote from: BigT on 07/29/2012, 07:59 PM$900 for 2 TG16s, some turbo taps, and 37 games seems to be too much.  If someone is buying this to resell, I don't see much room for profit.  Some of the games in the lot are nice, but nothing there is extremely special or in pristine collector quality condition.
When it was sitting in the $500 range I put in a $600 bid.  I figured for $600 I could get rid of the stuff I already had and keep the stuff I was missing.  I figured $600 was a decent number, but apparently not - I was outbid in less than 10 minutes.  I wasn't will to pay more than that.  $600 wasn't exactly smart, but $900 is just stupid.

Does this make sense to anyone?  The guy puts up Beyond Shadowgate for $150 and it doesn't sell.  He ends the auction early on the very last day.  I know because I was watching it to see if he would relist it for less $$$.  So he does relist, but this time for $200!!!   =D>

$150 listing;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251108077015?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1182

$200 listing;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyond-Shadowgate-RARE-MINT-TurboDuo-Turbografx-16-TH16-Turbografx-16-/251118083783?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a77cddec7#ht_642wt_1221

[EDIT] I see I missed the discussion on this already... Carry on!
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

VestCunt

$50 for a TG + CD base is alright and it probably works too, but that seller has four negatives in the last month in addition to a very fishy payment system. Caveat emptor.
Topic Adjourned.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 07/31/2012, 12:22 AM$50 for a TG + CD base is alright and it probably works too, but that seller has four negatives in the last month in addition to a very fishy payment system. Caveat emptor.
His list of items for sale is all over the place too.  He's got a Commodore and a bunch of cookie press things.  :-k

CPTRAVE

Maybe he just found it at some garage sale or something.

CPTRAVE

NecroPhile

For the $15 shipping: it's not all that ridiculous (the game's price is a different story) - $5.35 for a flat rate Priority box + $2.55 for signature confirmation + $2.90 for $200 worth of insurance = $10.80 (it'd be $13.85 for $350 worth of insurance).

For the Sapphire: the hub markings look like a legit version.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 07/31/2012, 11:51 AMFor the $15 shipping: it's not all that ridiculous (the game's price is a different story) - $5.35 for a flat rate Priority box + $2.55 for signature confirmation + $2.90 for $200 worth of insurance = $10.80 (it'd be $13.85 for $350 worth of insurance).
I think it would be a different argument if he was just charging a lot for shipping. But there are two things that you need to consider:

1. The auction itself says shipping will be $4, likely the maximum that eBay would let him charge for shipping costs. In the listing itself he explains that it will really cost the buyer $15 for shipping. So he is trying to skirt eBay rules, and in the process screwing eBay out of final value fees, and screwing any potential bidder that trusts (rightfully so) the official $4 rate. eBay has shipping cost limits so sellers don't put an item up for BIN $1 with $50 shipping. Although I'm surprised eBay hasn't made him change it yet, I'm betting that the winning bidder could dispute the $15 ship costs and eBay would side with the winner, since the seller is basically trying to poke eBay.

He could've easily left the $4 shipping costs, and added $11 to the BIN price to make up for it.

2. All of his game auctions have that same $15 hidden shipping cost, and BS is the only one that's over $100.

NecroPhile

I don't know how eBay would possibly miss out on fees, seeing as they include shipping and handling in the final value fee (and have for some time).

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 07/31/2012, 01:50 PMI don't know how eBay would possibly miss out on fees, seeing as they include shipping and handling in the final value fee (and have for some time).
I will admit that is news to me. A quick google search shows it was done about a year ago. Link.

Either way, the invoice from eBay will only have the $4 shipping cost. That extra $11 doesn't exist officially anywhere, except for the separate invoice that the seller says he will send after the auction ends:

"Shipping and Handling will be $15 and will include SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION (It says $4 but Ebay clearly isn't up with the times about shipping costs!  Pretty dumb if you ask me.  I will send the invoice with the correct amount, this is MANDATORY for this kind of High Priced Item).  I won't have anything less than that, so don't ask."

So I'm betting that they will not count that extra $11 towards final value. And even if they do, combine that with sketchy feedback and his demanding ProPay instead of the more common and generally safer PayPal, and what do you have? A scumbag who's listings should've been pulled already on account of being sneaky.

NecroPhile

No doubt the guy is a tool, but the shipping b.s. is at least partially due to eBay's stupid policies.  You must list a shipping service for $4 or less (you can have pricier options too), which makes it impossible to ship priority, insured, etc. without losing money or resorting to high starting prices or BINs.

VestCunt

Or a seller can sidestep the whole problem and use calculated shipping. Ebay's policies are totally stupid, but anyone selling more than a few items a year should really get off the flat-rate-priority crutch and invest in a scale. It saves buyers money by allowing them to choose the cheapest shipping service, cheap shipping makes for attractive listings, sellers don't have to hassle with international estimates, and it saves sellers money by printing postage online instead of going to the PO.
Topic Adjourned.

PikachuWarrior

I agree, before getting a postal scale, I would have to estimate shipping costs and sometimes I came in under the ebay estimates, and other times it was actually much higher.
IMG

bob

Quote from: jperryss on 07/31/2012, 01:57 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/31/2012, 01:50 PMI don't know how eBay would possibly miss out on fees, seeing as they include shipping and handling in the final value fee (and have for some time).
I will admit that is news to me. A quick google search shows it was done about a year ago. Link.

Either way, the invoice from eBay will only have the $4 shipping cost. That extra $11 doesn't exist officially anywhere, except for the separate invoice that the seller says he will send after the auction ends:

"Shipping and Handling will be $15 and will include SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION (It says $4 but Ebay clearly isn't up with the times about shipping costs!  Pretty dumb if you ask me.  I will send the invoice with the correct amount, this is MANDATORY for this kind of High Priced Item).  I won't have anything less than that, so don't ask."

So I'm betting that they will not count that extra $11 towards final value. And even if they do, combine that with sketchy feedback and his demanding ProPay instead of the more common and generally safer PayPal, and what do you have? A scumbag who's listings should've been pulled already on account of being sneaky.
You know what really grinds my gears? Is that the beyond shadowgate listing keeps coming up when I search for "TH16".
Nice listing, douche

jlued686

...the fuck?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonk-Brink-Extinction-Sony-Playstation-3-2011-/280932492299?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4168e1a40b#ht_500wt_1370

I don't even know what to say about this. Not "gouging", per se. But... What?

Maybe this is that super-secret bootleg copy rjardina was talking shit about...in a "sealed" copy of Brink. ;)

Just sent him this question:

"So this is a copy of Bonk: Brink of Extinction, a game that was NEVER released, but was supposed to be released as a downloadable game for PSN/XBLA, and is included in a sealed copy of the game Brink, which is a completely unrelated game?

Really?"

NecroPhile

Brink of Extinction pops up as one of the suggested products if you try to create an auction for Brink, so he surely just made a mistake.  As for why a non-existent game is even in their listings (on all three platforms no less), I've no explanation.

jlued686

Not sure how eBay works... So this guy enters in "Brink", and eBay automatically fills in all the BOE information, including changing the game title?

Bizarre...

hizaygizirlz

Quote from: guest on 08/02/2012, 03:00 PM...the fuck?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonk-Brink-Extinction-Sony-Playstation-3-2011-/280932492299?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4168e1a40b#ht_500wt_1370

I don't even know what to say about this. Not "gouging", per se. But... What?

Maybe this is that super-secret bootleg copy rjardina was talking shit about...in a "sealed" copy of Brink. ;)

Just sent him this question:

"So this is a copy of Bonk: Brink of Extinction, a game that was NEVER released, but was supposed to be released as a downloadable game for PSN/XBLA, and is included in a sealed copy of the game Brink, which is a completely unrelated game?

Really?"
I thought it was funny
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

jperryss

8bitForLife

Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/530/show-collection.htm

NecroPhile

$200 bootleg that probably came from BMW for free.  *sigh*

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 08/02/2012, 06:02 PM$200 bootleg that probably came from BMW for free.  *sigh*
Yep, it was posted awhile back in this thread. That eBay seller actually had it given to him from a friend (member here) that got it from BMW.

SMF

I was bored so i reported it to ebay lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

NecroPhile

$45 for a dead neoflash cart, but at least it comes with free shipping.  It's not all that outrageous of a gouge job, I suppose, but it made me giggle.

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 08/03/2012, 01:19 PM$45 for a dead neoflash cart, but at least it comes with free shipping.  It's not all that outrageous of a gouge job, I suppose, but it made me giggle.
I saw this yesterday and I applaud the seller for this sentence in the description:

"Comes complete in original packaging.  Please note that I am selling this AS IS because it does not work 100% of the time."

Notice that nowhere else does he mention that it partially works, works sometimes, works if you stand on one foot, etc.

If the thing doesn't work at all, EVER, which is probably the case, his statement is still accurate. But it sure is misleading. If someone told you "my car doesn't start every time" wouldn't you assume it starts some of the time?

Even if I thought I had repair skills I wouldn't go near this one.

EDIT: My mistake, he does mention that he can't get it working again. Still was quite careful about how he worded that.

Arkhan Asylum

its probably one of those sellers that doesn't know how 2 frashcart  and is just doing it wrong.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

8bitForLife

Quote from: guest on 08/02/2012, 06:02 PM$200 bootleg that probably came from BMW for free.  *sigh*
sorry im a newb what does BMW stand for bald men whining?
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

8bitForLife

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonk-3-Bonks-Big-Adventure-TurboGrafx-16-Manual-Only-/250617950446?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a59fe70ee

not sure if he means game and manual only or just manual if he just means manual for the love of mike.

Make sme wish i had gotten a copy for 100 bucks in 2009 =(

Otaking

Quote from: 8bitForLife on 08/03/2012, 05:57 PMsorry im a newb what does BMW stand for bald men whining?
OMG that is the single best thing ever written in this forum.  [-o<

=D> =D> =D> =D>
=D> =D> =D> =D>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

NecroPhile

That clown means just the manual.  Crazy, no?

Quote from: 8bitForLife on 08/03/2012, 05:57 PMsorry im a newb what does BMW stand for bald men whining?
It stands for Byronische Motoren Werke - a.k.a. fellow member BlueBMW.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: 8bitForLife on 08/03/2012, 06:00 PMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonk-3-Bonks-Big-Adventure-TurboGrafx-16-Manual-Only-/250617950446?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a59fe70ee

not sure if he means game and manual only or just manual if he just means manual for the love of mike.

Make sme wish i had gotten a copy for 100 bucks in 2009 =(
This has been discussed quite a few times in this thread. The guy also wants to sell his neogeo golf game for like 30 grand which is completely and utterly insane.
And now its on sale for 17 grand
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Turf-Masters-Neo-Geo-AES-Great-Condition-Fast-Shipping-Us-Version-/271011428096?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3f198a3700

GameFreak

Quote$200 bootleg that probably came from BMW for free.  *sigh*
QuoteYep, it was posted awhile back in this thread. That eBay seller actually had it given to him from a friend (member here) that got it from BMW.
Yeah I was the one that assumed it was one of the few discs I gave away/traded since it was fairly local to me, but i checked up on the people I gave them away/traded to, and they all still have them. I trust them and know them. One of them did mention a store in the Portland area that has a bunch of them without manuals for $100 each  
Edit- wrong smiley...i meant this one!  ](*,)

CrackTiger

Even if they weren't bootlegs, lone discs don't demand a collectors price. Especially for a game commonly available, nomally found complete and heavily bootlegged.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

bob

Wonder what this fetches...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320958092801?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_922

And I HOPE somebody in this forums wins it.  I have no interest, but it needs to be appreciated.
And if somebody in here does win it, please youtube the video ASAP.  I would love to watch it, but it doesn't seem to be out there.  I hardly look at the actual youtube site, so I'm kind of stupid when it comes to finding stuff.
 ](*,)

GameFreak

^That looks pretty interesting. If someone buys that here on the forum please upload a video of it! I also LOL at the fact it says "Place this side down"  on the disc. New technology can be confusing! LOL

NightWolve

Quote from: jperryss on 08/03/2012, 01:46 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/03/2012, 01:19 PM$45 for a dead neoflash cart, but at least it comes with free shipping.  It's not all that outrageous of a gouge job, I suppose, but it made me giggle.
I saw this yesterday and I applaud the seller for this sentence in the description:

"Comes complete in original packaging.  Please note that I am selling this AS IS because it does not work 100% of the time."

Notice that nowhere else does he mention that it partially works, works sometimes, works if you stand on one foot, etc.

If the thing doesn't work at all, EVER, which is probably the case, his statement is still accurate. But it sure is misleading. If someone told you "my car doesn't start every time" wouldn't you assume it starts some of the time?

Even if I thought I had repair skills I wouldn't go near this one.

EDIT: My mistake, he does mention that he can't get it working again. Still was quite careful about how he worded that.
Yeah, this was an amusing read! He "leads" you into the fact that it is currently broken and works 0% of the time for him... currently, that is...

1) He starts off with this sale being "AS IS".

2) States it does not work 100% of the time (OK, so conversely it must work some of the time then, no?).

3) He chooses to classify the condition as "good" and blames eBay for not having a "non-working item" classification...  :roll:

(So we're getting to the truth: went from "doesn't work 100% of the time" to a "non-working item")

4) And finally the full, clear truth: "Currently I cannot get it to work again!" with the call for the buyer to rise to the challenge pitch, "But maybe YOU have the technical know-how to bring it back to life?" as in, "But HEY, maybe YOU could be the One to gain the privilege of fixing this - I'll even give ya a reduced rate!" Hahaha!

What a piece of shit, someone that bid on it who wasn't careful and looked at eBay's stated "Good" condition could've placed his bid and not gotten to the last sentences realizing this item is being sold broken... and it did sell... I hope the winning bidder gave him negative feedback regardless if he knew it was broken.

roflmao

Quote from: galam on 08/04/2012, 10:50 PMWonder what this fetches...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320958092801?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_922

And I HOPE somebody in this forums wins it.  I have no interest, but it needs to be appreciated.
And if somebody in here does win it, please youtube the video ASAP.  I would love to watch it, but it doesn't seem to be out there.  I hardly look at the actual youtube site, so I'm kind of stupid when it comes to finding stuff.
 ](*,)
Cool find, Galam!

NecroPhile

Quote from: galam on 08/04/2012, 10:50 PMWonder what this fetches...

And I HOPE somebody in this forums wins it.  I have no interest, but it needs to be appreciated.
 ](*,)
That's pretty neato.  If nobody else is shooting for it, I'm gonna bid on it (assuming the price doesn't go to loonytunes levels).

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 08/06/2012, 12:36 PMThat's pretty neato.  If nobody else is shooting for it, I'm gonna bid on it (assuming the price doesn't go to loonytunes levels).
I'm going to watch it, but I'm not going to bid.  I hope you win it!

wilykat

Because the seller is an idiot for using "good", if a buyer gets it and can't get it to work at all, he can file claim with eBay and claim he was mislead into thinking it was "good" as listed and get money back minus return shipping.  :-"

If the seller is going to be sneaky or sloppy and use the detail incorrectly and buyer is aware of it, tries to fix non working item and fails, eBay will bite back with claim that favors buyer.

DragonmasterDan

I'm the original bidder and the high bidder on it right now. I suspect it's the same as the Power Up TTI promo VHS tape they sent out back in 1992.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

FiftyQuid

Flare65

Mathius

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 08/06/2012, 04:20 PM$260 for a US Super System Card w/ VGA-esque baggie!  :lol:
You think with a name like that the seller wouldn't charge so much.He's not a mr.nice guy but a bastard damn!!!
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

8bitForLife

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: 8bitForLife on 08/07/2012, 05:01 PMhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Neutopia-II-TurboGrafx-16-1992-hu-card-manual-jewel-case-/251125193778?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a783a5c32

not sure if this is gouging or not just seems pricey
The last few copies of Neutopia 2 have gone for $60-70. Its a little over-priced, and will probably only sell if someone is desperate to get it.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG