PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Pier Solar may be released soon?!?

Started by BlackandBlue, 08/24/2010, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nectarsis

Quote from: guest on 01/15/2011, 03:50 AM
Quote from: nectarsis on 01/15/2011, 03:28 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/15/2011, 03:16 AMPier Solar reprint ghetto homeless edition is now sold out.  The 3rd edition will be cart only, no boc, no manual, no label.  Maybe some scratches or nicks... or soldering iron burn marks.  Game name will be scratched into the plastic with an X-acto knife.
Will it be $10-20 more?  :P :twisted: :lol:
YEAH AND IT WONT WORK.
Hey..what do you expect for 85% NEW :P
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Arkhan Asylum

I was wondering, is it Pier Soul err, or pier soul are, in the spirit of Lunar?

Also, this game wouldve been better if it was for PCE. :)
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

Gears of War would be better for the PCE.

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/15/2011, 03:30 PMGears of War would be better for the PCE.
Could be a kickass run-'n-gunner! The PCE needs more of those!

TheClash603

I am glad they sold out of the second run.  All you noobs should've had the faith to order when it was announced.  My shits be 1337.

Emerald Rocker

Quote from: guest on 01/15/2011, 04:46 AMI was wondering, is it Pier Soul err, or pier soul are, in the spirit of Lunar?
If it's in the spirit of Lunar, then it's Pier Soul-er.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Joe Redifer

The battles are in the spirit of Lunar, yes.  In fact I often get Lunar vibes when playing the game.  But it is still unique unto itself.  I don't think anyoen will call it a "Lunar rip-off".

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TheClash603 on 01/15/2011, 05:44 PMI am glad they sold out of the second run.  All you noobs should've had the faith to order when it was announced.  My shits be 1337.
I think everyone who wanted the game did preorder print 2.

Which goes to show you they should have just done a larger print 1 instead of being dipshits.

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 01/15/2011, 09:25 PMIf it's in the spirit of Lunar, then it's Pier Soul-er.
euh.  Considering they say "Loon-Are" in Lunar .....you might wanna rethink that.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Emerald Rocker

Only retards would call it Loon-Are.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 01/16/2011, 03:24 AMOnly retards would call it Loon-Are.
Japan is retarded, according to you. :)

They say Loon-Are in the Japanese one, and Loon-are in the English one.  They probably say it in the English one to match the Japanese pronunciation.   

Please: if you're going to troll, do it right.  Make your 303 and rising post count actually worth something.

Emerald Rocker

I know how it's pronounced in the game.  In case it wasn't clear enough, I'm talking about what real people call it.  You have not disproved my point.

As far as worthiness of post content, sometimes there's more worth in under 337 than in a whole 3370.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 01/16/2011, 11:55 AMI know how it's pronounced in the game.  In case it wasn't clear enough, I'm talking about what real people call it.  You have not disproved my point.
So you're saying the creators of the game, the story writers, the voice actors, the advertising people, and anyone who listens to them are retards.  Cool.  Hows that meth working out for you?

QuoteAs far as worthiness of post content, sometimes there's more worth in under 337 than in a whole 3370.
Sometimes.  One day we might see that instance.  This certainly isn't it, considering the majority of your posts are trolling your two favorite PCE people for whatever stupid reason you've got.

bluespeed

Quote from: guest on 01/16/2011, 03:05 AMI think everyone who wanted the game did preorder print 2.

Which goes to show you they should have just done a larger print 1 instead of being dipshits.
I think they made 2400 of the first production run, that's way more than most other homebrews.

Also, I think the cardboard boxes were printed WAY ahead of time before the game started to sell out while it was still in the pre-order stage.  If you read the text on the boxes it makes a huge deal about the "20th anniversary".  The Sega MegaDrive was released in 1988 in Japan.  Initially based on other homebrew sales they probably never expected to sell all 2400 so quickly.

So if they already had a set number of boxes finished and ready, that would explain why pre-orders started to "sell out".

The RePrint was only on sale for about 2 weeks before it sold out, and that won't ship until February.  In the past *i think* they said it takes about 1 month from when they put in a production order at the factory to when the cartridges are finished.  So if it's shipping in February they probably put in the production order right around the time it went on sale 2 weeks ago.  Unfortunately it looks like they underestimated demand again.  But they said on twitter they'll be making more.

Emerald Rocker

QuoteThis certainly isn't it, considering the majority of your posts are trolling your two favorite PCE people for whatever stupid reason you've got.
Trolling?  No -- I am a mirror that reflects your hypocrisy.

Have you become such a publishing expert that you can so relentlessly, so mercilessly, attack the manner others choose to structure their releases?  On matters of design, have you demonstrated the ability to be a critic, or have you simply demonstrated the ability to have an opinion?  Are you a positive force in gaming, or are you the poison that pollutes the well of homebrew?

Rhetorical questions.  There's no point in answering, because your answers will be wrong.  You label me a "troll" because you don't like to be challenged.  You have created games, therefore you are a game creator.  You have played games, therefore you are a game player.   You should be able to face others armed with sense and experience.  Instead, you desperately try to make your peers and competitors look like bugs.

If your peers and competitors are bugs, then what are you?

OldRover

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 01/16/2011, 01:43 PMIf your peers and competitors are bugs, then what are you?
A can of RAID? :lol:

Seriously guys... I think the back and forth here isn't doing anyone any favors and is most certainly not accomplishing anything. No one's perfect.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Duo_R

Agreed, you two love birds should connect on fighting street.  :D
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 01/16/2011, 01:43 PMTrolling?  No -- I am a mirror that reflects your hypocrisy.
What hypocrisy.   I don't go around directly bothering other people.  That doesn't actually accomplish anything.  Sometimes you may pose a valid point, but here at PCEFX you let your personal opinion of someone get in the way and make it less effective via being a tard.  Voicing concerns/opinions against a thing/event is different than just bothering/attacking the person responsible for the thing.  Learn how to separate the two!

QuoteHave you become such a publishing expert that you can so relentlessly, so mercilessly, attack the manner others choose to structure their releases?  On matters of design, have you demonstrated the ability to be a critic, or have you simply demonstrated the ability to have an opinion? 
Well, I didn't screw up my first publication, so if I suggest others do what I did (press somewhere that isn't China?), it's probably a safe bet I'll be right.  Its not an expert opinion, but its a safe bet.

Even if I did screw up, thats fine.  That would give me the right to tell others "Hey I did this and it didn't work, you might not want to do that".  Again, not an expert opinion, but a safe bet.

Pressing CDs in China, getting a crap batch, and then coming up with all kinds of excuses for the bad discs, is bad mojo.  Don't do that.  Just admit you messed up.

They fucked up pre-orders, and people weren't happy.  Still, theres a right way and wrong way to complain.  You let your I-don't-like-roverness get in the way of griping about MSR's messed up preorders.  What could have been relatively painless got flared up because you wanted to make Rover look stupid.  If you didn't mostly just make little jabs towards people, people wouldn't constantly have the wrong idea about what you're doing.

Yeah its a bit hypocritical to defend MSR and complain about PS.  The reason I defended MSR is because you made it pretty clear you had a personal problem.  Noone griping about PS has some personal grudge with the team, as far as I can tell.

Theres nothing relentless or merciless about what I said.  You act like I made everyone cry themselves to sleep and throw in the towel forever.   I don't think anyones that big of a sissy.  I hope the PS guys learned from the debacle and can avoid a problem for print 2, and if there is a problem again, be better prepared to address said problem.

QuoteAre you a positive force in gaming, or are you the poison that pollutes the well of homebrew?
Speak for yourself?   It depends how you look at it anyways.  I'm a loudmouth.  I'm blunt/abrasive.  That being said I get shit done, and try to involve the community as much as possible.  I'm generally pretty obnoxious and like to fuck around.  Eventually maybe you'll realize this crap and we can stop with the back and forthing and get along.  Look at me and nectarsis!  I went from FUCK THAT GUY HES A DICK to Hey, hes alright.   I think he did the same (I hope? hah)

Also, when I'm arguing a point, it seems others are usually saying/thinking the same thing... so it's not like I'm just waving my dick around and being an asshole for nothing.  Not everything in life has to be sugar coated.

You are a positive force with your review site, etc., when you aren't doing shit like bugging people just because you think you need to.

QuoteRhetorical questions.  There's no point in answering, because your answers will be wrong.  You label me a "troll" because you don't like to be challenged.  You have created games, therefore you are a game creator.  You have played games, therefore you are a game player.   You should be able to face others armed with sense and experience.
Wrong? You don't get to pick whats right and wrong, lol..  What are you challenging me, or anyone with?  Pointless jabs, and threads like GUYS IMA MAKE A 8 PART SHOOTER GAME FOR THE PCE ITS GONNA BE AWESUM, aren't really challenges.  You yourself pose no challenge to anyone.  You're just a reviewer guy that likes to instigate.  Before I knew that's what you were doing, I actually thought you were going to be working on a game, and got excited.  I was like "oh fuck thats going to be alot of work I hope they actually do it".  Way to go.  Its things like that that sorta ruin your credibility.

I do face others armed with sense and experience, I just do it in a way that probably tends to piss people off.  Oh well.  People toughen up. 

QuoteInstead, you desperately try to make your peers and competitors look like bugs.

If your peers and competitors are bugs, then what are you?
I'm not trying to make anyone look like bugs.   You act like I am full on assaulting developers across the board.  Theres nothing desperate about what I am doing.  Most of what I stay remains here at PCEFX.  If it were desperate, I'd be flailing around at every other forum possible, saying everyones an idiot.  I support homebrew for better or worse.  When people fuck up like this, you get in there and get dirty, and everyone learns from it.  I try to get others involved in homebrew, I try to encourage new people, I support the stuff locally (Like Zaku), I buy SFT's games even though I think the guy in charge is a jackass.  I'll be getting print run 2 of Pier Solar even though I think the second print is kind of a ripoff and they screwed up.

That being said, I understand WHY they screwed up and why they're charging more.  The discs are broken, they underestimated costs, they lost money.  That sucks.  They deserve my 45$.

Theres a difference between trolling the same person over and over like a pissant (you do this, unfortunately), and voicing pissed off concerns about a game you've been interested in for awhile that had a pretty bad release... and once its over, its over, move on to something else.

You don't see me at Pier Solar's forum jabbing at the team, calling them retards, or making posts meant to instigate.   Thats all you dude.  We all know you just post little one liners to bother people you have a problem with.

I voiced reasonable concerns that others agreed with both here, and on PS's forum.  I mentioned things that should've been done, and questioned wtf they were doing.  The team in question was giving some pretty dickhead responses for whatever reason, and even danced around the problems like they were trying to cover it up.  But now, all of the cats are out of their respective bags, we know what happened and why print 2 is happening like it is. 

I don't see you bothering people like Clessy, who are on the other side of the fence.  That guy, whoa man.  He ain't right.

anyway, I got this crazy idea.  Why don't you post on PCEFX in general, instead of just to do stuff like this?  Maybe we can all get along and agree on crap.  I see you finally got a forum avatar.  Maybe you planned to do this already?

nectarsis

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2011, 01:53 AMLook at me and nectarsis!  I went from FUCK THAT GUY HES A DICK to Hey, hes alright.   I think he did the same (I hope? hah)
Nah I'm still a dick  :wink: :P :lol:  When I have an issue with someone I get it out, they listen (or don't) and move on. lol
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Joe Redifer

I haven't been reading all of this nonsense, but I am really starting to enjoy the game again after some frustrating parts.  Let's hope it keeps up!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/17/2011, 04:20 AMI haven't been reading all of this nonsense, but I am really starting to enjoy the game again after some frustrating parts.  Let's hope it keeps up!
Have you been playing with or without the CD?

Joe Redifer

With a CD-R.  You can switch back and forth from Genesis music to CD music at any time (except in the middle of a battle) if the CD is loaded.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/17/2011, 02:24 PMWith a CD-R.  You can switch back and forth from Genesis music to CD music at any time (except in the middle of a battle) if the CD is loaded.
Oh coo coo, so its kinda like DS6 on PCE?

How is the FM tunes.  I heard from alot of people that it wasnt very good, but the CD music was.

Joe Redifer

The FM music certainly isn't bad mainly because the composition itself is very good, however the sound QUALITY isn't as good as the Genesis can do.  You hear the FM music slow down whenever the game slows down.  What's weird is that Tiido Primagi did the sound engine, but this one must be made to fit in a much smaller space or maybe the composer didn't use a good sound set with it, because Tiido's sound engine is usually really, really good.

Anyway, here is an example which compares the FM and CD title screen music:
Whoever made this video must have a model 2 Genesis as it sounds pretty scratchy, especially in the high frequencies.

Arkhan Asylum

Oh, thats some nice FM stuff actually.  The person I saw blabbing about it made it sound like it was fartfest9000.

I think I might even like the FM more than the CD...

So the game *isnt* a 6 year long project that turned out a flashy looking but generic game?  right?

OldRover

Sorry I missed this earlier.
Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 01/14/2011, 04:49 PMIf you see no irony, then that means you truly have no faith -- which is ironic in an altogether different way.
You've hit the nail on the head. I am an absolutely faithless person. It's cold but it's reality.

Anyways, I'll wait till the third run to order, or just snag one off of ebay or ctc/gg when I have some $$$ to blow. Which will probably be never.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestthe game *isnt* a 6 year long project that turned out a flashy looking but generic game?  right?
No, if you like JRPGs from the 16-bit era, you should really enjoy this.  It's 16-bit through and through and the "feel" is like that of Lunar 2 (the way sprites move, the look and feel of the towns, etc).

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/18/2011, 12:23 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhanthe game *isnt* a 6 year long project that turned out a flashy looking but generic game?  right?
No, if you like JRPGs from the 16-bit era, you should really enjoy this.  It's 16-bit through and through and the "feel" is like that of Lunar 2 (the way sprites move, the look and feel of the towns, etc).
oh so this is Lunar 3, just like I was hoping. 

yay.

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2011, 01:53 AMWhat hypocrisy.   I don't go around directly bothering other people.  That doesn't actually accomplish anything. 
No hypocrisy?  If you subtract your posts about myself or Digit Press, I imagine you post count would lose about 1/4 of them.  Get real.
All is well. :)

NecroPhile

I thought you two were going to bury the hatchet...   :roll:

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/17/2011, 11:38 PMAnyway, here is an example which compares the FM and CD title screen music:
Those chip tunes are pretty dang good, and the CD tunes are even better - I'd definitely have to get a CD if I was gonna play this puppy.  If anybody else has some comparison recordings, please share for everyone's ears to enjoy.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Joe Redifer

I might make some comparison recordings of a few other tunes.  The chip tunes are all over the map.  Some are fantastic while others are a bit mediocre.  None are terrible, though.  Right now I just got to the giant town of Verhahshana (or something like that) and I can't decide if I like the chip or PCM music better.

OldRover

From what I've seen now... this game is nothing like Lunar in terms of battling. It's more akin to FF7. Lunar has a very specific style where the entire field is utilized; this game clearly doesn't do that from the footage I'm seeing. I don't get the Lunar reference at all.

OldRover

Oh and so much for unhackable... the CDROM has already been decrypted. :D Someone on IRC who shall not be named has just taken it apart and figured out the audio format. :D

Joe Redifer

The battles are definitely not like FF7.  The special attacks and magics don't go into a 2 hour special effects frenzy when used.

OldRover

That's not what I mean. I'm referring to the game mechanics. The game mechanics are very much like FF7... base character positions, attacks that sprawl the battlefield, and then return to base position. Lunar doesn't play like that.

Joe Redifer

That's not really gameplay.  Where the character ends up on the field doesn't really have much to do with anything from what I recall.  In Pier Solar you can move characters to the back so they are less likely to be attacked.

Also, who said the CD was "unhackable"?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/18/2011, 07:13 PMThat's not really gameplay.  Where the character ends up on the field doesn't really have much to do with anything from what I recall.  In Pier Solar you can move characters to the back so they are less likely to be attacked.

Lunar definitely used the full field.   If, for example, alex has 3 attacks but the enemy is too far away, he'll waste an attack walking far enough to get to the enemy.  :)

Its a mechanic alot of people miss.  Its subtle and sometimes not really noticed.

As for the hackable CD.. I dunno, but I know they said the cart is undumpable/hard as hell to do.   They shouldnt have said that.  Theyre gonna look really goofy when someone dumps it.  Its going to happen.  Its inevitable.

Quote from: RoyNo hypocrisy?  If you subtract your posts about myself or Digit Press, I imagine you post count would lose about 1/4 of them.  Get real.
ER is talking about a different context.  but...

If you subtract your posts about whining about price gouging (Hypocrisy to the max!), and the ones where you screw people over, you wouldn't even HAVE a post count.

I dunno what posts about Digit Piss you're talking about though.  I think you're just making stuff up and being a retard, as usual.  You and Alex should hang out.

Anyway, whats the point in rehashing your failevents.  Noone cares.

OldRover

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/18/2011, 07:13 PMThat's not really gameplay.  Where the character ends up on the field doesn't really have much to do with anything from what I recall.  In Pier Solar you can move characters to the back so they are less likely to be attacked.

That is *exactly* gameplay. Where the character ends up on the field in Lunar is extremely important. It's half the battle strategy! And the "move characters to the back" thing is another thing that FF7 has... many RPGs have that feature, really.

WM implied that their game was unhackable/undumpable. Well, the cart is only a matter of time, but the CD's already been figured out. It wasn't easy but he figured it out anyways. The audio is really interesting... it uses negative dB sample inversion and possibly sample dropping, and is likely processed by a subprogram that runs on the slave processor on the Sega CD 68000. They really went to some lengths to ensure that the audio wasn't ripped... it's just too bad that the more you claim it's "unhackable", the more someone's going to prove you wrong. :D

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 01/18/2011, 07:54 PMit's just too bad that the more you claim it's "unhackable", the more someone's going to prove you wrong. :D
Which is why you might as well just say fuck it, and have faith that the collectory types will buy the game even if its a free rom floating around.

No point in going all turbo covert ops with the hardware, someone will crack it.  Always.

Joe Redifer

It won't run in Fusion, that's for sure.

EDIT:  I got bored with FF7.  I only made it a couple of hours into the game, so I am not overly familiar with its battles except that they were sloooooow.

Joe Redifer

Damn, there is a puzzle in the game (a bit past midway, I think) that is based on Sokuban games.  I've gotta hand it to Tulio, it had me stumped BAD.  I was pissed.  I finally figured out the solution and it was simple.  I want to kick my ass for not seeing it sooner.

OldRover

Joe Redifer

Thanks for the link, but I'm wondering how this is much different than just recording from the audio outputs.

nikdog

Quote from: OldRover on 01/18/2011, 07:54 PMit uses negative dB sample inversion and possibly sample dropping
That is awesome.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/20/2011, 03:35 PMThanks for the link, but I'm wondering how this is much different than just recording from the audio outputs.
It will be simpler, with no need to edit your recordings. That and if you have a crapy recorder, you're bypassing it.
IMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMG

Emerald Rocker

I was finally able to pick mine up from the post office... this is beautiful packaging.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 01/21/2011, 05:56 PMI was finally able to pick mine up from the post office... this is beautiful packaging.
does it have the erotic new game smell, or no.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2011, 08:20 PM
Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 01/21/2011, 05:56 PMI was finally able to pick mine up from the post office... this is beautiful packaging.
does it have the erotic new game smell, or no.
Don't worry Ark. It'll get a "rise" out of you. :wink:

Joe Redifer

I loooooove new game smell!

QuoteIt will be simpler, with no need to edit your recordings.
Actually you will need to edit them more because they end abruptly since they are made to loop.  You'll have to loop them yourself as well as add a fade at the end.

Mathius

Neo Geo AES games have the muskiest smell of them all IMO. Those things never lose it! Sometimes I find myself cracking one open just to breath the fumes. :)

Joe Redifer

It's the soft boxes.  You don't find that smell very much in the "shock boxes".  Those boxes are... shocking.

ParanoiaDragon

The video game smell always seems to bring me back to Super Mario Bros. 2.  I know there are other games I bought new bitd, but, that one...& it's glorious smell are what I'm reminded of.
IMG