PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

One man's fight to play Sapphire! - Lots of pics

Started by BlueBMW, 10/02/2010, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

Rumors told me that there was a great game out there.  But there were a few catches... one it was very expensive, and the other was that it required a Japanese Arcade system card to play...

That game of course is Sapphire!

So what do I do if I have a US Duo and I want to play it?  That has been my quest over the last several weeks!

Step 1: Bought a cheap copy of Sapphire from Tobias...

/sapphire.jpg

Step 2: Bought an Arcade Pro card from Henrycsc... (and later an arcade duo card from Opethian!)

/arcade.jpg

Step 3: Sourced region mod parts from Digikey, Radio Shack and a local electronics store. Also bought some nice shiny new tools!

/parts.jpg

Step 4: Construct region mod chip as per http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fplayoffline.wordpress.com%2Fmod%2Fpceswitch%2F&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

/modchip.jpg

Step 5: Opened my precious US Duo and hacked away!

/finalmod.jpg

Step 6: Switch the region mod to JP region!

/modswitch.jpg

Step 7: Insert Arcade system card AND Sapphire CDROM.....

/sapphire1.jpg

Step 8: The moment of truth....

VVVVVVVV

VVVVVVVV

VVVVVVVV

VVVVVVVV

VVVVVVVV

VVVVVVVV

VVVVVVVV

VVVVVVVV

SAPPHIRE WIN!

/sapphire2.jpg
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

nat

Sapphire lose:

Playing 4:3 games in a 16:9 aspect ratio is.... ridiculous.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

BlueBMW

Quote from: nat on 10/02/2010, 11:28 PMSapphire lose:

I hadn't got that far yet!  I was just glad the whole thing worked at all.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Mathius

Congrats! She definitely is a pretty Duo. :)

MotherGunner

Good deal man, is that a bootleg/care4data version?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

turbogrfxfan

"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Mathius

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/03/2010, 12:35 AMGood deal man, is that a bootleg/care4data version?
I'll answer that question-Yes. We happened to both buy ours the same week from Tobias who runs the anime4ever service. I already checked my disc and sure enough it says "care4data."

henrycsc

Congrats on the Region Mod BMW!  Now is this a switch system where you can go back and forth between the regions?

Very subtle little switch there!  Bravo!   =D&gt;
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

SignOfZeta

QuoteSapphire lose:

Dang...beat me to it.
IMG

BlueBMW

Quote from: henrycsc on 10/03/2010, 01:42 AMCongrats on the Region Mod BMW!  Now is this a switch system where you can go back and forth between the regions?

Very subtle little switch there!  Bravo!   =D&gt;
Yep, just a quick flip back and forth.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

BlueBMW

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/03/2010, 11:15 AMThe swisslers counterfeight tools: http://www.care4data.ch/index2.php
While I don't normally care much for counterfeit copies, in the case of this game I just dont have the $300 (or maybe more now) that it would cost to own a legit copy.  I hope the community can forgive me for this evil deed!

Joe Redifer

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/03/2010, 04:12 AM
QuoteSapphire lose:

Dang...beat me to it.
Me, too.

BlueBMW

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/03/2010, 11:36 AM
QuoteSapphire lose:

Dang...beat me to it.
Me, too.
I guess I should mention... that duo's connected via composite!  [-X

So 16:9 + Composite means double fail :(

SignOfZeta

Not really. Switching to 4:3 requires a simple settings change. Switching to RGB requires a a ton of soldering and extra parts. While the image is muddy in composite, it isn't just out right wrong and fat and distorted like it is when its stretched in the funhouse mirror that is a modern wide TV.
IMG

BlueBMW

Fixed! :P  I was excited last night that it even worked at all and hadn't switched it to 4:3.  Some games are ok stretched, but others not so much...

/sapphireproper.jpg

Colossus1574

Good stuff man!  Thanks for taking us thru your "Fight" round by round! hahah

turbogrfxfan

ha ha I think the only people that talk crap about fake copies of sap[phire are the suckers who paid the cash for a real one or they bought it years ago so they could brag about it.  I do have to say one of these days I will be a sucker with a real copy.  Afar as what aspect ratio it depend on what u like.  If you like retarded lookin space ships so be it.  Some of the same people that dont like 6:9 aspect are the ones that butcher their system so it could play both regions.  It just depends on whats good for you  .jmo

Duo_R

I for one don't like the 6:9 ratio aspect, but I do like 16:9 ratio for movies.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote from: turbogrfxfan on 10/03/2010, 04:31 PMSome of the same people that dont like 6:9 aspect are the ones that butcher their system so it could play both regions.  It just depends on whats good for you  .jmo
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

turbogrfxfan

Quote from: Duo_R on 10/03/2010, 04:59 PMI for one don't like the 6:9 ratio aspect, but I do like 16:9 ratio for movies.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote from: turbogrfxfan on 10/03/2010, 04:31 PMSome of the same people that dont like 6:9 aspect are the ones that butcher their system so it could play both regions.  It just depends on whats good for you  .jmo
oooooooo zinger! ya sure got me on that one!!  hey pull my finger

Tatsujin

Now buy yourself an XRGB-3 device and get back as best as just possible old fashioned true-scanlines on your flaty :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Congrats, Bimmer.  Have you beat it yet?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BlueBMW

Got real close last night.  Although I was cheating by putting it on easy with 9 credits lol.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/03/2010, 08:26 PMNow buy yourself an XRGB-3 device and get back as best as just possible old fashioned true-scanlines on your flaty :)
XRGBs don't give you real scanlines.  They look good, but still way different then real 15k scanlines.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/04/2010, 11:33 AM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/03/2010, 08:26 PMNow buy yourself an XRGB-3 device and get back as best as just possible old fashioned true-scanlines on your flaty :)
XRGBs don't give you real scanlines.  They look good, but still way different then real 15k scanlines.
Don't flush down all our big hopes for the non-crt existing future  :cry:

JapanTokei

Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/03/2010, 11:44 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/03/2010, 11:36 AM
QuoteSapphire lose:

Dang...beat me to it.
Me, too.
I guess I should mention... that duo's connected via composite!  [-X

So 16:9 + Composite means double fail :(
BLUE!  greatwork.  I woulda just wussed out and got a convertor to go with the Arcade card.. props to you for making that region mod!  the DUO with the switch looks awesome.  Enjoy Sapphire.  It's a game that needs to be played a few times to be fully appreciated.  I speak from experience as I sold a CIB minty sexy one last year after buying it from Tokyo since I didn't really dive into it, I wasn't really impressed and decided against paying $300 for collectibility only.  I bought it again this April and man I saw the light and it is one of my most treasured games now. 

I've been away for too long .... gotta get my stuff in order so I can comeback regularly.. argh.  moving to Singapore very soon likely !  hopefully they will have more PCE/gaming shops there compared to Commie-land (Shanghai)..

Tatsujin

Singapore? Whatcha gonna do there, tokei?

Ceti Alpha

Great work, beamer!! Looks good. Be careful of the stretch, though! haha :P
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Tatsujin

rag-time4

Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/03/2010, 01:35 PMFixed! :P  I was excited last night that it even worked at all and hadn't switched it to 4:3.  Some games are ok stretched, but others not so much...
Very nice to see the 4:3!! Felt almost as good as playing through a sweet game a second time to get 'the good ending'!!

exile

So how do I go about buying Sapphire? Is there someone in North America sitting on a ton of reproduction goodness?

BlueBMW

Quote from: exile on 10/14/2010, 09:48 PMSo how do I go about buying Sapphire? Is there someone in North America sitting on a ton of reproduction goodness?
wayback://sapphire.anime4ever.de/
IMG

:P

Mathius

Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/14/2010, 10:15 PM
Quote from: exile on 10/14/2010, 09:48 PMSo how do I go about buying Sapphire? Is there someone in North America sitting on a ton of reproduction goodness?
wayback://sapphire.anime4ever.de/
:P
Hopefully he still has some copies. Beemer, Joe (I think), and myself all swiped the "cheaper" copies from there.

exile

How much should I expect to pay Mathius?

Mathius

I think I paid $45 shipped. They come from Germany.

exile

I tried the link to contact him,but it doesn't work on my MAC could you PM his e-mail addy to me if its not too much trouble?

Mathius

Obfuscate

mind pm that email to me Mathius? Having the same problem.  Exile has dibs if only one left..

shubibiman

I guess that if a lot of you are ready to buy copies from him at the same time, he would probably be able to print other copies. Maybe I'm wrong but I think you'd better try and make a bulk order. That's what we did with the french NEC comminuty a few years ago and we only paid something like 30$ each.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Mathius

Quote from: shubibiman on 10/16/2010, 07:27 PMI guess that if a lot of you are ready to buy copies from him at the same time, he would probably be able to print other copies. Maybe I'm wrong but I think you'd better try and make a bulk order. That's what we did with the french NEC comminuty a few years ago and we only paid something like 30$ each.
From what I understand he doesn't make these copies. I could be wrong about that though.

Quote from: Obfuscate on 10/16/2010, 06:37 PMmind pm that email to me Mathius? Having the same problem.  Exile has dibs if only one left..
PM'd