PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

What games do you love that you think others give short shrift?

Started by spenoza, 02/03/2011, 03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spenoza

I love the game Loom. I know it's a pretty straight port of the DOS floppy version, and they could have easily enhanced the graphics quite a bit, but it's such a great game, and the TG-CD port definitely does it justice. I don't read many people talking about this title, which is a shame, because it's awesome. I remember playing all three challenge levels just to see if I could.

Share your story!

NecroPhile

Love might be a bit strong, but I think Camp California is unjustly ignored by most peeps.  It sports colorful sprites and backgrounds, has pretty good tunes, poses some decent challenges, and is quite lengthy (perhaps too lengthy), so why is it shunned?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

JoshTurboTrollX

I love LOOM, had great memories of the game.  Seems like sometimes people shun games like Loom or Prince of Persia as they're not "PCE" enough or something... I don't get that. 

For me it would be Shockman.  The game has it's flaws, but c'mon!  Paralax scrolling, great GREAT soundtrack, fast gameplay.  And very challenging.  It's like a two player simultaneous MegaMan crossed with Gunstar Heroes.  It was one of the first titles I played for the Turbo, and I've always dug it.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Lilgrafx

My game is Vigilante. Its a short Kong Fu style beat'em up that people never talk about. Its a pretty average but I've really liked this game

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TheClash603

There are a few TG16 games I really enjoy that most seem to ignore:  Hit the Ice, Chew Man Fu, and Camp California.

Shockman?  That's just bad Mega Man...

Now I'm waiting for the JJ & Jeff crowd to start telling us to kick the stump, chump.

VestCunt

I had a good romp through Addams Family last year.  I've also been enjoying Deep Blue again since someone recently mentioned the fact that you can stop shooting and regain health - makes it MUCH more playable.  I've owned the game since '92 and never knew that.

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/03/2011, 06:25 PMThere are a few TG16 games I really enjoy that most seem to ignore:  Hit the Ice, Chew Man Fu, and Camp California.
Those are all great, esp. Hit the Ice.
Topic Adjourned.

Arkhan Asylum

Takin it to the Hoop has the best slam dunk scenes of all time and noone talks about that game.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

Not real love, but I like it a lot: Kato-chan & Ken-chan.

And I also think its graphics were uberamazing for 1987, though most do disagree with me.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 02/03/2011, 05:57 PMMy game is Vigilante. Its a short Kong Fu style beat'em up that people never talk about. Its a pretty average but I've really liked this game
I dont think that it is sooo average because it's a very faithful arcade port and showed well what the pce was capable of at the begining.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Phades

I think Keith Courage is underrated.. I played through and beat that game the first night I got my Turbo Grafx 16 and loved every minute of it. I'm still sore they never released the sequel they promised in the end credits.

rag-time4

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/03/2011, 06:25 PMThere are a few TG16 games I really enjoy that most seem to ignore:  Hit the Ice, Chew Man Fu, and Camp California.

Shockman?  That's just bad Mega Man...

Now I'm waiting for the JJ & Jeff crowd to start telling us to kick the stump, chump.
Kicking the stump is a total waste of time. Next time, try kicking above the stump, chump.

WONK!

WONK!

WONK!

turbogrfxfan

metomor jupiter and metal stoker oh and liquid kids
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: turbogrfxfan on 02/03/2011, 10:22 PMliquid kids
Dude I showed my friend this game, and he literally was like. "O_O"
and took the controller and played

I ended up going to sleep because he was playing for like 3 hours straight over and over.  I woke up the next morning and he was passed out on the floor with the game paused.

lol

nat

Shape Shifter. The elite few that recognize this game for the epic that it is give it its due, however, it doesn't get mentioned half as often as it should when discussing great platformers on the Turbo and sometimes even gets panned due to the difficulty.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

spenoza

I like ShapeShifter, but I find that the character control is just a little odd. Japanese developers definitely had a better handle on how a character should control in a platforming game. Once I'm adjusted to the character control quirks, I do think it is a decent game. It has some nice art and is pretty creative and well-conceived.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nat on 02/03/2011, 11:30 PMShape Shifter. The elite few that recognize this game for the epic that it is give it its due, however, it doesn't get mentioned half as often as it should when discussing great platformers on the Turbo and sometimes even gets panned due to the difficulty.
I thought shapeshifter was retarded at first, but then I sat and gave it a few hours of  my time......

yeah.  That game rules.

hoobs88

Quote from: Phades on 02/03/2011, 07:23 PMI think Keith Courage is underrated.. I played through and beat that game the first night I got my Turbo Grafx 16 and loved every minute of it. I'm still sore they never released the sequel they promised in the end credits.
Was it gonna be "Keith Courage in Beta Zones"?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

blueraven

Of course, Deep blue. Which is a shooter that is vastly misunderstood because its UNDERWATER.

I mean come on people! Water has resistance (Ohms) so therefore the ship is SUPPOSED TO BE SLOW.

God forbid anyone has to think three steps ahead in a shooter.

Oh yeah Xanadu is given a short stick because the fucking bakka gaijin are impatient.

TheClash603

I always thought everyone loved Shape Shifter?  I know I do!

Gogan

Loom is top notch in my book, great story too.

PoP is another I playd constantly bitd, and currently havin another go at it.

And fuk yea, Lykos!
Nothin beats the real thing.

Arkhan Asylum

DragonmasterDan

I'll agree with Keith Courage, it's not that bad.

I also like Neutopia despite being an obvious and widely ridiculed Zelda clone.
--DragonmasterDan

Gogan

Price of Persia can b a pain in the arse, but I love the music.

My opinion is biased on nostalgia tho

Takin it to the hoop is the best name for a sports game evr
Nothin beats the real thing.

Ceti Alpha

Xevious. It's a perfect arcade port and the exclusive Fardraut Saga has some nice additions to the game, like power ups and different ships for different levels.

Another would be Keith Courage. It receives more flack than it deserves because it was a pack-in game for the Turbo. If it was just another game it would be considered just another average platformer with some neat music and sound.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Lilgrafx

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 02/04/2011, 02:25 PMI'll agree with Keith Courage, it's not that bad.

I thought neutopia was a pretty poplular game? Whys it matter if its a zelda clone if it a good game.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 02/04/2011, 11:14 PM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 02/04/2011, 02:25 PMI'll agree with Keith Courage, it's not that bad.

I thought neutopia was a pretty poplular game? Whys it matter if its a zelda clone if it a good game.
Agreed. Sure it shares a lot in common with Zelda, but so what? I think a lot of people just like to point it out, but actually see it as a great game.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/04/2011, 03:49 PMXevious. It's a perfect arcade port and the exclusive Fardraut Saga has some nice additions to the game, like power ups and different ships for different levels.
Its not exclusive.  The same game is on the MSX2.  :)

rag-time4

Quote from: hoobs88 on 02/04/2011, 12:34 AM
Quote from: Phades on 02/03/2011, 07:23 PMI think Keith Courage is underrated.. I played through and beat that game the first night I got my Turbo Grafx 16 and loved every minute of it. I'm still sore they never released the sequel they promised in the end credits.
What about Keith Courage for Playstation? Or Granzort on SuperGrafx?

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 02/04/2011, 11:45 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/04/2011, 03:49 PMXevious. It's a perfect arcade port and the exclusive Fardraut Saga has some nice additions to the game, like power ups and different ships for different levels.
Its not exclusive.  The same game is on the MSX2.  :)
Sorry, I misspoke. Xevious on the PCE is "Fardraut Densetsu", not "Fardraut Saga". Densetsu is a whole different game than the MSX2 sequel. I always want to call it Saga for some reason. If you don't count Super Xevious, which is really just a tweaked version of the original, the Famicom had the first official sequel with Super Xevious: GAMP no Nazo, MSX2's Fardraut Saga is the third sequel, and Fardraut Densetsu would be the fourth entry on the PCE.

BTW, do you have the first Final Zone on the MSX? There's a video of it on Youtube somewhere, but it's crazy how different it is from the sequel on the PCE/TG.

I'd include Final Zone II on this list. It's not an incredible game, by any stretch, but it's a fun game to sit back and walk through. It's not terribly difficult, so it's a nice relaxing ride. The cheesy dialogue on the TG port is good for a laugh. All in all, it's not a bad way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.
IMG

Mathius

Blood Gear. I am sure I will get more into it once I cross the marginally difficult language barrier. It has fantastic side-scrolling action sequences like Zelda II which I am a big fan of. The typical Turbo fan doesn't gripe about this game, they just don't know about it.

nat

Quote from: rag-time4 on 02/05/2011, 12:41 AM
Quote from: hoobs88 on 02/04/2011, 12:34 AM
What about Keith Courage for Playstation? Or Granzort on SuperGrafx?
Keith Courage was based off an anime.

Granzort is based off an anime that was a spinoff/sequel to the anime Keith Courage was based off.

They are both Sunrise games. Whether Granzort as a game was actually meant to be a sequel to Keith Courage/Wataru is anybody's guess but it's been rumored.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

OldRover

Camp California is probably at the top of my list for this. People give it crap because you start out with Byron, who has some of the worst collision detection since Impossamole. Of course, once you get more characters, that problem disappears and the game is mad fun.

Another one that gets a bad rap is Turrican. By itself, it's a fun little game. Next to the original, it kind of blows, and even the Genesis version is better in most ways.

I will always hate Shape Shifter. I don't care how many people swoon over the impressive graphics, special effects, and ADPCM streaming... the gameplay is fundamentally broken and that is where they should have put the most effort. It's a GAME, make it work like one! If they spent half as much effort in making sure the gameplay was as good as the rest of the game, it'd be the champ of all platformers. And it's not a case like Camp California where only one character is broken... ALL playable forms are similarly broken and have too many control quirks to make it enjoyable. That's what happens when you don't do enough gameplay testing and focus all your efforts on pizazz.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/05/2011, 01:24 AMI'd include Final Zone II on this list. It's not an incredible game, by any stretch, but it's a fun game to sit back and walk through. It's not terribly difficult, so it's a nice relaxing ride. The cheesy dialogue on the TG port is good for a laugh. All in all, it's not a bad way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.
I love you ceti, but Final Zone II is such a crappy, bare-bones piece of lame. On the other hand, I see where you are coming from: accept FZII for what it is and it can be fun. BUT FOR SOME REASON I can't let go of the AWESOME potential this game had. It should have AT LEAST been as good as Red Alert/Last Alert. Anyway, I view Keith Courage the same way: such awesome potential, but totally wasted. Actually, Keith Courage had far more potential than FZII. Anyway...

Quote from: OldRover on 02/05/2011, 10:16 AMAnother one that gets a bad rap is Turrican. By itself, it's a fun little game. Next to the original, it kind of blows, and even the Genesis version is better in most ways.
You are the only reason I keep giving Turrican on TG-16 another chance. But each time I play that goddamned game, I ask myself, "Why? Dear Lord, why?"

The good news is that I haven't completely given up on the game. I am just waiting for that fateful day when I will be locked in a room with nothing but one HuCard and TG-16.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: esteban on 02/05/2011, 01:31 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/05/2011, 01:24 AMI'd include Final Zone II on this list. It's not an incredible game, by any stretch, but it's a fun game to sit back and walk through. It's not terribly difficult, so it's a nice relaxing ride. The cheesy dialogue on the TG port is good for a laugh. All in all, it's not a bad way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.
I love you ceti, but Final Zone II is such a crappy, bare-bones piece of lame. On the other hand, I see where you are coming from: accept FZII for what it is and it can be fun. BUT FOR SOME REASON I can't let go of the AWESOME potential this game had. It should have AT LEAST been as good as Red Alert/Last Alert. Anyway, I view Keith Courage the same way: such awesome potential, but totally wasted. Actually, Keith Courage had far more potential than FZII. Anyway...
haha este. I know what you mean. FZII had the potential to be a top tier game, but just didn't deliver. And yeah, Last Alert is a far better sit back and relax type of game.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Turrican will always suck. No matter what system it's on.

Game is retarded.

Tatsujin

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/05/2011, 01:51 PMTurrican = on amiga and c64. no sucks there!
You're right.  on Amiga and C64 , they fuckin suck.  As opposed to just suck.  :)

great music though!

Otaking

Mr Kato and Mr Kenneth, I love this game, yes it's partly fogged in nostalgia for me but underneath that I still think it's a decent game.  :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Otaking

Oh and I thought PCE Die Hard was pretty decent too, it often gets slated in reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

termis

KC&KC - I've said it multiple times here, but I like the platform action of this one -- goofiness being cherry on top.
China Warrior - Gladiator back in the days (which also get a lot of flack) was good fun for me, and this game plays similar enough to it.
Vigilante - Again, I was a big fan of Kung Fu Master in the arcades, and this is the spiritual successor to it.  Oddly enough KFM doesn't get flack, but Vigilante does.
Ditto for Xevious - It was pretty ground breaking back in the days, not only as one of the very first scrolling shooters, but also the little details -- I still remember thinking as a kid how cool it was to see differing metallic colors of various objects spinning around changing shades appropriately.

Keith Courage, on the other hand... Ugh.  What a crappy choice for a pack-in.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: termis on 02/05/2011, 06:12 PMKeith Courage, on the other hand... Ugh.  What a crappy choice for a pack-in.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH KEITH COURAGE.

SERIOUSLY.

The pack in for NES was Super Mario Bros, and that games not that great when you get right the hell down to it.

8 repetitive worlds of dicking off, followed by castles w/ lame boss battle.  Oh boy.

Keith Courage on the other hand......

Kicked the fucking shit out of SMB.  Boss battles that require skill, colorful overworlds, stuff to buy!  A kickass intro tune.  POWER ARMOR.   SWORDS. 

rainbows, action, giant gunhead things,

wtf did mario have?

Jack shit.  A bunch of basically the same levels. Over and over.  I do not see any upside down worlds in Mario.  I see no shops! I see no power armor, or epic boss battles in blue pulsing arenas.

Screw Mario.   Keith Courage would've saved the princess in half the time, and plowed her with his Alpha Sword when he was done, and she would have liked it.  He'd do it while staring Mario and Luigi down, like a boss.  High fiving Toad and friends.

Who cares if he's sposed to be like, 9.  In Future Japan years, thats like, 25.

What other pack ins were there to compete with? Clunkered Beast's basically the same handful of levels and herky jerky action? KC is way smoother.  All Clunkered Beast has on KC is the realllllly eerie theme/atmosphere. 

VestCunt

I'd like to point out that the topic of this thread applies to half the games on the TurboGrafx (as for your PCE name droppers: go back to your own forum! ;) )

TurboGrafx games are so low-profile and rarely acknowledged, even among fans like us, that just about EVERY game gets "short shift" unless it falls into one of three categories:
*Games that were sequels or spawned sequels (Bonk/Zonk, GoT/LoT, Bomberman, Splatterhouse, Dungeon Explorer, Neutopia, Ys, the Wonderboy titles, etc)
*The Working Designs catalog (which, again, were mostly games in a series {CF2, Exile1-2, Vasteel 1, Bouble Bobble 3})
*Ports of arcade and PC blockbusters (R-Type, Raiden, Might and Magic...meanwhile, even blockbuster status on other platforms didn't save Chase HQ, Sim Earth, and Loom from TurboGrafx obscurity).

Those are the famous games everyone identifies with the TurboGrafx and runs out and buys right away.

The cool thing about the TurboGrafx is not that it didn't have shitty games - it did - but that it didn't have too many of any particular kind.  The SNES and Genesis were inundated with endless EA sports games, hasty movie licenses, terrible tournament fighters, shitty shooters, and bad beat-em-ups, while the Turbo only got one or two of each.  Furthermore, these shitty Turbo titles are mostly unique and rarely found on the mainstream systems all of our friends were playing, making them easy to adopt as lovable little diamonds-in-the-rough, different than the bargain-bin SNES/Genesis carts we've seen over and over again for twenty years.

The TurboGrafx did get too many shooters, but the hardware is well designed for such games and they tend to be a above par.

So yeah, I might not play a lot of Magical Dinosaur Tour, but I'd be hard pressed to eliminate any one game in the U.S. library.
Topic Adjourned.

Arkhan Asylum

Dude, Magical Dinosaur Tour is str8 hood gangsta.   

And, even the shittiest Turbob games are great really.

termis

Quote from: guest on 02/05/2011, 06:36 PM
Quote from: termis on 02/05/2011, 06:12 PMKeith Courage, on the other hand... Ugh.  What a crappy choice for a pack-in.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH KEITH COURAGE.

SERIOUSLY.
It's boring.  The end.

Quote from: guest on 02/05/2011, 06:36 PMThe pack in for NES was Super Mario Bros, and that games not that great when you get right the hell down to it.
SMB >>>>>> Keith Courage.  History agrees with me.

Quote from: guest on 02/05/2011, 06:36 PMWhat other pack ins were there to compete with? Clunkered Beast's basically the same handful of levels and herky jerky action? KC is way smoother.  All Clunkered Beast has on KC is the realllllly eerie theme/atmosphere. 
Altered Beast wasn't great, but it was a reasonably well-known arcade hit at the time -- Sega went along with what it knew, arcades quarter munchers.  Also, Altered Beast has the awesome "Wise from yo gwave" quote.  What quote did Keith Courage leave behind?  HUH?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: termis on 02/05/2011, 08:13 PMIt's boring.  The end.
Boring? how come.

QuoteSMB >>>>>> Keith Courage.  History agrees with me.
History also says the Commodore 64 is a great computer.  :-D

QuoteAltered Beast wasn't great, but it was a reasonably well-known arcade hit at the time -- Sega went along with what it knew, arcades quarter munchers.  Also, Altered Beast has the awesome "Wise from yo gwave" quote.  What quote did Keith Courage leave behind?  HUH?
It dont need a quote.  The title fanfare is enough.

I also like the quirkiness of the bolt bomb wise wizard man.

He funny.

nat

Quote from: termis on 02/05/2011, 08:13 PMAlso, Altered Beast has the awesome "Wise from yo gwave" quote.  What quote did Keith Courage leave behind?  HUH?
"I'm Nurse Nancy. I can heal your wounds"

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nat on 02/05/2011, 09:16 PM
Quote from: termis on 02/05/2011, 08:13 PMAlso, Altered Beast has the awesome "Wise from yo gwave" quote.  What quote did Keith Courage leave behind?  HUH?
"I'm Nurse Nancy. I can heal your wounds"
With her mouth.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 02/05/2011, 01:41 PMTurrican will always suck. No matter what system it's on.

Game is retarded.

I've never played Turrican for the Turbo but my Brother had super Turrican on the snes and thats a pretty good game. So in your book china warriors a good game but turrican sucks ass? seems a little odd