@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What games do you love that you think others give short shrift?

Started by spenoza, 02/03/2011, 03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/12/2011, 05:14 PM
Quote from: nat on 02/12/2011, 03:24 PMTURBO GRAFPHFICKXS
I'll have to try that one on eBay.  :lol:
How knows? You might get a steal on an unknown/unseen auction. :)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 02/12/2011, 05:44 PMTurbo Graphics?
dude it took me like 30 seconds to realize that is the proper spelling of graphics.

I am so used to "grafx" now, hah
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

spenoza

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Lilgrafx

Nagoyan

I've got to join in and say that Double Dungeons is one of the best 2-player experiences I've had on the Turbo. Zooming through the dungeons and building up levels and equipment to take down the tougher non-random monsters that guard the way to the more advanced parts of each dungeon is a great time. It's fine as a single-player game, but having a friend along makes it into a race to see who gets the best weapons/finds the boss first. I also like how every time you encounter the other player, the text box always displays the other guy's name with an exclamation point.

Plus, like many other first person dungeon crawls, the lack of an auto-map combined with the huge size of the later dungeons means this game can seriously improve one's spatial awareness with extended play.

The other game I had to mention is Last Alert. Sure the voice overs are goofy but there is some solid run 'n gun action to be had.   

Phades

Quote from: Nagoyan on 02/13/2011, 01:33 AMI've got to join in and say that Double Dungeons is one of the best 2-player experiences I've had on the Turbo. Zooming through the dungeons and building up levels and equipment to take down the tougher non-random monsters that guard the way to the more advanced parts of each dungeon is a great time. It's fine as a single-player game, but having a friend along makes it into a race to see who gets the best weapons/finds the boss first. I also like how every time you encounter the other player, the text box always displays the other guy's name with an exclamation point.

Plus, like many other first person dungeon crawls, the lack of an auto-map combined with the huge size of the later dungeons means this game can seriously improve one's spatial awareness with extended play.

The other game I had to mention is Last Alert. Sure the voice overs are goofy but there is some solid run 'n gun action to be had.   

The goofy voiceovers are part of what MAKE Last Alert great. They're just awesome.

esteban

Quote from: Nagoyan on 02/13/2011, 01:33 AM... there is some solid run 'n gun action to be had.
Yes. However, I always wished they had included a difficulty setting to increase the challenge. Last Alert should have offered  a "Brutal Mode" for masochists.

This is the plural form of "Turbographics"
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

spenoza

Quote from: esteban on 02/13/2011, 05:28 PM
This is the plural form of "Turbographics"
Wouldn't that be TURBO GRAFPHFICKXES, in that case? It ends in an X, therefore add ES. If plural and possessive perhaps TURBO GRAFPHFICKXES'S would do.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 02/13/2011, 05:43 PMWouldn't that be TURBO GRAFPHFICKXES, in that case? It ends in an X, therefore add ES. If plural and possessive perhaps TURBO GRAFPHFICKXES'S would do.
Esteban is correct, though in Canada (and other backwards countries that use words like 'colour') the plural is TURBOU GRAFPHFI.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

WITH BAJILLIONS OF TURBOB COLOURS.

CROWD AROUND YOUR ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/14/2011, 10:45 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/13/2011, 05:43 PMWouldn't that be TURBO GRAFPHFICKXES, in that case? It ends in an X, therefore add ES. If plural and possessive perhaps TURBO GRAFPHFICKXES'S would do.
Esteban is correct, though in Canada (and other backwards countries that use words like 'colour') the plural is TURBOU GRAFPHFI.
TURBOU GRAFPHFIQUE
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/14/2011, 11:20 AM
TURBOU GRAFPHFIQUE
SUPRE GRAFPHFIQUE!

spenoza

Methinks this discussion of plurals and whatnot has clearly moved outside the realm of proper English and into the absurd.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 02/14/2011, 01:06 PM
Methinks this discussion of plurals and whatnot has clearly moved outside the realm of proper English and into the absurd.
Its not English.

Its Obeylish.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 02/14/2011, 01:06 PMMethinks this discussion of plurals and whatnot has clearly moved outside the realm of proper English and into the absurd.
TurboGrafx was born beyond the realm of "proper English".  He does not ken its meaning.

Nagoyan

Quote from: Phades on 02/13/2011, 02:28 AMThe goofy voiceovers are part of what MAKE Last Alert great. They're just awesome.
I'm with you there. I think a big thing that separates it from a lot of other military-style action games is that it doesn't take itself that seriously and that's because of the voiceovers. Come to think of it, I'd like to check out the dialogue in the Japanese version sometime to see if it's a more serious take on the story.  

Quote from: esteban on 02/13/2011, 05:28 PMYes. However, I always wished they had included a difficulty setting to increase the challenge. Last Alert should have offered  a "Brutal Mode" for masochists.
I agree. By the time Guy reaches the upper levels with the really powerful weapons, most of the enemies can't put up a decent fight. By the time I got to the last boss, I found the timer to be my worst enemy!

esteban

Quote from: Nagoyan on 02/14/2011, 10:52 PM
Quote from: esteban on 02/13/2011, 05:28 PMYes. However, I always wished they had included a difficulty setting to increase the challenge. Last Alert should have offered  a "Brutal Mode" for masochists.
I agree. By the time Guy reaches the upper levels with the really powerful weapons, most of the enemies can't put up a decent fight. By the time I got to the last boss, I found the timer to be my worst enemy!
One indication that Last Alert did a few thing right is the fact that we continue to play the game, despite the fact that it is "easy". Also, I love when Guy is riding the elevator (not a cinema) and yells "INDRAAAAAAAAAAA!" towards the end of the game. Subtle, but very nice detail. IIRC, they have two tracks on the CD: one sans the voice, and one with Guy yelling "Indra". No voice samples overlaid on the song. Nope. That would be too easy.

:)

3000bc

Most people don't like Bravoman but for some reason I love it. Its got nice graphics (though repetitive), it's a worthy challenge and it's definitely unique. I got really hooked on this game until I finally beat it. The shooting stages suck though.

Arkhan Asylum

who the hell doesnt like Bravoman?  Those people should be clubbed with a golf club.

NecroPhile

Only *bravo!* one thing *bravo!* in Bravoman *bravo!* is actually bad, *bravo!* the rest *bravo!* is  just bland *bravo!*.

JoshTurboTrollX

Don't give me titty twisters, but I'm not a huge fan of Bravoman or Moto Roader.  What is so good about Bravoman?  Other than the awesome "I'm Dr. Bomb" voice!?  and After having played Micro Machines (NES, GENS, SNES) its really hard to go play motoroader and not get bored to tears instantly with its slow as hell gameplay.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

I love the voice sampling.
I play the Japanese one though... so its a bit nicer.

I like the samples though, and the wonky gameplay

Nagoyan

Quote from: esteban on 02/15/2011, 10:32 PMOne indication that Last Alert did a few thing right is the fact that we continue to play the game, despite the fact that it is "easy". Also, I love when Guy is riding the elevator (not a cinema) and yells "INDRAAAAAAAAAAA!" towards the end of the game. Subtle, but very nice detail. IIRC, they have two tracks on the CD: one sans the voice, and one with Guy yelling "Indra". No voice samples overlaid on the song. Nope. That would be too easy.
I'm going to have play it again to check that part out! It's interesting to see how those early CD developers achieved the effects they wanted. 

Bravoman is a cool character. It was great that both he and Wonder Momo made an appearance in Namco X Capcom. Kinda wish Namco made another game with him because I thought the telescoping limbs concept was fun.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/17/2011, 02:47 PMwho the hell doesnt like Bravoman?  Those people should be clubbed with a golf club.
I am not a big fan of the game. I never really got into it. Can I change? Sure. Will it happen soon? Perhaps.

But, what will motivate me to play Bravoman when, say, I am more tempted to play Spin Pair?

I still won't give up on it, though.

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/17/2011, 02:50 PMDon't give me titty twisters, but I'm not a huge fan of Bravoman or Moto Roader.  What is so good about Bravoman?  Other than the awesome "I'm Dr. Bomb" voice!?  and After having played Micro Machines (NES, GENS, SNES) its really hard to go play motoroader and not get bored to tears instantly with its slow as hell gameplay.
We agree on Bravoman.

Similarly, I loved the crap out of MicroMachines on NES. One of the greatest games, hands down. MotoRoader is still fun, it just has a different pacing and "deliberateness" that I enjoy. Building up my racing vessel,  from a barely functional bumper car(t) to an overly-sensitive hovercraft is actually a lot of fun! It is this progression, this development, that saves the game. I love experimenting with wacky configurations (best body, lame engine) to see if I can win a race on pure "skill" alone :)

When playing with friends, it's fun to f*** each other up, or gang-up on the best player. Exploiting the "warp" and weapon upgrades is vital for exacting revenge on those who consistently place in the the top three spots.

Personally, I love launching my racing vessel into the air (aka "Hopper"). I have developed entire strategies around maximizing the glory of "Hopper". Don't pity me, it sounds pathetic, but I have fun! :)

blueraven

BE RA BO MAA NU!!!!

Waaaaay better than jj and jeff

Hai.

chany60126

A game that rarely gets mentioned around here is Shadow of the Beast. It is a cool action platformer game with nice animations. The enemy designs in the game are amongst my favorite for the turbob. You'll encounter a wide variety of enemies including pterodactyls, bouncing eyeballs, and even ginormous hands rising from the ground. The music is wonderfully orchestrated, and it fits the mood of the game perfectly, especially the use of wind instruments.

VestCunt

Quote from: chany60126 on 02/22/2011, 07:26 PMA game that rarely gets mentioned around here is Shadow of the Beast....
...The music is wonderfully orchestrated, and it fits the mood of the game perfectly, especially the use of wind instruments.
SotB may get my vote for best music on the Turbo.  The opening theme, credits, and title screen are equally mind blowing awesome.
Topic Adjourned.

Arkhan Asylum

Shadow of the Breast on PCE CD demolishes the Amiga verison.

Pretty badass, since the Amiga one is the original one.

Much better controls and collision, smoother animation, killer tunes.  CUTSCENES!

The Amiga one has a bit better graphics/detail, but

Up to jump? Really?
Less fluid animation!
Gimpy collision detection!
Less epic tuneage....

It doesn't have as much going for it.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2011, 01:32 AMShadow of the Breast on PCE CD demolishes the Amiga verison.

Pretty badass, since the Amiga one is the original one.

Much better controls and collision, smoother animation, killer tunes.  CUTSCENES!

The Amiga one has a bit better graphics/detail, but

Up to jump? Really?
Less fluid animation!
Gimpy collision detection!
Less epic tuneage....

It doesn't have as much going for it.
How do they stack up to the Genesis version Ark???

RR1980

I like Spin Pair I know alot of people consider it to be a poor man's Tetris but I find it really addicting once you get into it!

NecroPhile

geise

I prefer the Amiga version in all respects but the music.  I wasn't honestly that thrilled with the cut scenes and like the art style much better on the original Amiga version.  Also Ark mentioned up to jump, but everything was pretty much joystick on the amiga so you had to do it that way.  Almost all fighting games known to man now have you press up to jump, to me it's not that big of an issue.  The original was made and shoved onto two floppies and not a CD, so it's understandable that there would be less frames of animation.  Also wasn't it just Martin Edmondson and Paul Hawarth minus the soundtrack?  Regardless the SCD version is still an amazing game that doesn't get enough mention.  DMA did a great job redoing it for the SCD.

esteban

Re-reading this thread, I am reminded that I have never beaten any version of Shadow of the Beast. I've gotten closest with Genesis version.

Arkhan Asylum

Shadow of the Breast on Genesis sucks unless you play the japanese one, and even then the PCE one pisses all over it.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/23/2011, 07:26 PMShadow of the Breast on Genesis sucks unless you play the japanese one, and even then the PCE one pisses all over it.
I am ignorant: why is the MegaDrive version better? :)

ddd1234

For me-
Hawk K-123

Not a bad shooter once you obtain some meaningful power ups.
I manage to beat it once.

Best combo-
Powered up Lazer and homing missiles.
OBEY TECH N9NE!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: esteban on 03/24/2011, 12:08 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/23/2011, 07:26 PMShadow of the Breast on Genesis sucks unless you play the japanese one, and even then the PCE one pisses all over it.
I am ignorant: why is the MegaDrive version better? :)
Faster.  Smoother.  Better graphics.  No gimped ass collision detection and nonsense clunkiness.  Straight hood. Ye ye.

Its like a hot super model, or a frumpy bitch with a mustache but a nice body..  Pick one.

Dusk85Z28

Im not sure if this is one that is overlooked but I love Galaga 90  :D
1200 games and counting

Current cars:
05 gmc envoy
00 gmc sonoma
85 z28 camaro

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Dusk85Z28 on 03/24/2011, 08:07 PMIm not sure if this is one that is overlooked but I love Galaga 90  :D
Anyone who doesnt love Garaga is a retard.

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 03/25/2011, 06:43 PM
Quote from: Dusk85Z28 on 03/24/2011, 08:07 PMIm not sure if this is one that is overlooked but I love Galaga 90  :D
Quoted for truth. /2 ^^

Tatsujin

Quote from: blueraven on 03/26/2011, 12:46 AM
Quote from: guest on 03/25/2011, 06:43 PM
Quoted for truth. /2 ^^
I love Galaga '88
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Dusk85Z28

is there a difference between galaga 88 and galaga 90?
1200 games and counting

Current cars:
05 gmc envoy
00 gmc sonoma
85 z28 camaro

Tatsujin

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Dusk85Z28

1200 games and counting

Current cars:
05 gmc envoy
00 gmc sonoma
85 z28 camaro

esteban

Quote from: Dusk85Z28 on 03/26/2011, 11:30 AMWell then im not missing out on anything
Nope. And, even though many folks did not comment, rest assured that Galaga '88 ('90) is well-loved by countless folks. It is such a polished, fun wonderful version that many folks have spent countless hours playing it.

Quote from: guest on 03/23/2011, 07:26 PMShadow of the Breast on Genesis sucks unless you play the japanese one, and even then the PCE one pisses all over it.
It looks like I may find the MegaDrive version for Shadow of the Beast if it really is better (as you explained). I had no idea the versions were so different. I still remember print advertisements for the Genesis version and thinking (this was before I played it) that it seemed to capture the essence of the Amiga version.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: esteban on 03/26/2011, 11:44 AM
Quote from: Dusk85Z28 on 03/26/2011, 11:30 AMWell then im not missing out on anything
Nope. And, even though many folks did not comment, rest assured that Galaga '88 ('90) is well-loved by countless folks. It is such a polished, fun wonderful version that many folks have spent countless hours playing it.
Truer words have never been spoken. Galaga '88/'90 is a great port of a true classic. The only things missing are some very minor "interludes" that have each boss of a given dimension talking crap.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

Quote from: ceti alpha on 03/26/2011, 12:24 PM
Truer words have never been spoken. Galaga '88/'90 is a great port of a true classic. The only things missing are some very minor "interludes" that have each boss of a given dimension talking crap.
I initially read the above as "each boss of a given dimension taking a crap."
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Tatsujin

esteban

Quote from: nat on 03/26/2011, 02:08 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 03/26/2011, 12:24 PM
I initially read the above as "each boss of a given dimension taking a crap."
As did I!