What games do you love that you think others give short shrift?

Started by spenoza, 02/03/2011, 03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Dusk85Z28 on 03/26/2011, 11:30 AMWell then im not missing out on anything
They titled it based off release date.  88 in Jerpan, and 90 in Uhhhmerica
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: nat on 03/26/2011, 02:08 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 03/26/2011, 12:24 PM
Quote from: esteban on 03/26/2011, 11:44 AM
Quote from: Dusk85Z28 on 03/26/2011, 11:30 AMWell then im not missing out on anything
Nope. And, even though many folks did not comment, rest assured that Galaga '88 ('90) is well-loved by countless folks. It is such a polished, fun wonderful version that many folks have spent countless hours playing it.
Truer words have never been spoken. Galaga '88/'90 is a great port of a true classic. The only things missing are some very minor "interludes" that have each boss of a given dimension talking crap.
I initially read the above as "each boss of a given dimension taking a crap."
:lol:

That would be JJ and Galaga. .....groooaaaann....  8-[
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

DesmondThe3rd

I always liked Samurai Ghost in a weird way but I remember it got panned when it got re-released on the Virtual Console.

ddd1234

I don't like somari ghost and the kung fu one bit. Sorry guys.
OBEY TECH N9NE!

esteban

Quote from: DesmondThe3rd on 03/27/2011, 09:49 PMI always liked Samurai Ghost in a weird way but I remember it got panned when it got re-released on the Virtual Console.
In the past, when this topic was broached, I usually mentioned Samurai Ghost. I love that damn game, warts and all. I won't repeat myself. Maybe later, though, I'll recycle an old post from a few years ago :)

Anyway, in the interest of repeating myself for the umpteenth time:

GAIN GROUND -- I haven't proselytized this game for a few months. IT RULES.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

majors

I play a hell of a lot of Power Golf. Something I can play while the lady watches Bones and other shows I could care less about.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: majors on 03/29/2011, 07:49 PMI play a hell of a lot of Power Golf. Something I can play while the lady watches Bones and other shows I could care less about.
I hear Power Gold 2 is a great 'get sober' game!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

majors

Ahhh..."the Golfer" the jp sequel. As you know, I can atest to that.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

ddd1234

OBEY TECH N9NE!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

turbogrfxfan

Final blaster!!!!  The game is so good and nobody talks about it. I was lucky to buy it at mgc and nect and t star loved it!!!!
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

nectarsis

Quote from: turbogrfxfan on 03/29/2011, 10:51 PMFinal blaster!!!!  The game is so good and nobody talks about it. I was lucky to buy it at mgc and nect and t star loved it!!!!
Nabbed a copy Sunday night ;)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Mathius

Quote from: turbogrfxfan on 03/29/2011, 10:51 PMFinal blaster!!!!  The game is so good and nobody talks about it. I was lucky to buy it at mgc and nect and t star loved it!!!!
Mathius liked this

Quote from: nectarsis on 03/29/2011, 10:59 PM
Mathius liked this

turbogrfxfan

Quote from: Mathius on 03/29/2011, 11:06 PM
Mathius liked this

Quote from: nectarsis on 03/29/2011, 10:59 PM
Mathius liked this
Awesome!!!  yeah i knew u liked it.
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

ddd1234

I love this one bro.....i think it's a 7.5/10.
OBEY TECH N9NE!

ddd1234

OBEY TECH N9NE!

NecroPhile

Try using the Enter key instead of making multiple posts.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

spenoza

Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/30/2011, 09:52 AMTry using the Enter key instead of making multiple posts.
It can be troublesome when you want to quote different posts.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2011, 02:44 PMIt can be troublesome when you want to quote different posts.
How so?  My enter key works no matter how many quotes I make, and you can always add a horizontal line if things get confusing.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2011, 02:44 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/30/2011, 09:52 AMTry using the Enter key instead of making multiple posts.
It can be troublesome when you want to quote different posts.
thats what copy paste is for.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: ddd1234 on 03/29/2011, 09:47 PMI like Doom for snes.
Dude ActRaiser on the SNES is my favorite game of all time, But I think we better focus on turbo games on this forum

JoshTurboTrollX

Dude Actraiser is legendary!  I can't think of anyone that gives it short shrift tho ;)

HOW ABOUT all the Night Creatures HATE!?!  Game with some good grafx and effects that was a bit out there in terms of gameplay and controls, but still had some fun elements to it.

I think that a Night Creatures HATER can become a Night Creatures LOVER once they give it an honest chance and just sit through it.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Dyna138

Well it's been awhile since I played it but I always liked Keith Courage. I remember getting it as the pack-in game back in the day and I enjoyed it enough to make me a fan of the system. I liked collecting gold and upgrading swords and the action stages were decent enough with some interesting enemy designs. I think people are hard on it because it was the pack-in and there were better games NEC could have chosen.

Also hello everyone! This is my first post, nice to meet you all.  :D

Arkhan Asylum

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Dyna138 on 06/01/2011, 06:02 PMWell it's been awhile since I played it but I always liked Keith Courage. I remember getting it as the pack-in game back in the day and I enjoyed it enough to make me a fan of the system. I liked collecting gold and upgrading swords and the action stages were decent enough with some interesting enemy designs. I think people are hard on it because it was the pack-in and there were better games NEC could have chosen.

Also hello everyone! This is my first post, nice to meet you all.  :D
Welcome! :)

Quote from: guest on 06/01/2011, 11:03 PMFirst post, and you praise KC.

Hello best friend.
haha. Yeah, KC definitely isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Was it the best choice for a pack-in game? That's another discussion. I personally love the music and sound on KC. Totally unique and Turbofied.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Its the best choice for a pack-in.

I suspect it would've been better if we had been exposed to the cartoon also.

If America's pack-in was like, a friggin Thundercats game or some other saturday morning cartoon of the time, I bet it would've been cooler in the US.

Man, Thundercats would've ruled.

JoshTurboTrollX

If NEC coulda swindled together Splatterhouse or Ninja Spirit into a bundle, I think that would have made a slightly better impression on gamers looking to take the next step to 16-bit.

Quote from: guest on 06/02/2011, 09:26 AMMan, Thundercats would've ruled.
Fuck ThunderCats.  He-Man packed in with Turbo would've conquered the universe.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 06/02/2011, 11:03 AMIf NEC coulda swindled together Splatterhouse or Ninja Spirit into a bundle, I think that would have made a slightly better impression on gamers looking to take the next step to 16-bit.
For a lot of people Splatterhouse would have been considered an awesome pack-in game, but at that time Tipper Gore was in full gear with the Parents Music Resource Center and pushing hard against video games. Splatterhouse would have just garnered too much negative attention if it was a pack-in game. Though, that could have possibly been a good thing. Kids would want the system even more if figures of authority were saying the TG was too violent...OK, so maybe it would have been a good idea.  :lol:

Newspaper Headline: "Tipper Against Gore...In Video Games."
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ceti alpha on 06/02/2011, 11:25 AMNewspaper Headline: "Tipper Against Gore...In Video Games."
I loled.

Hey why didn't Turbob get a fkin Ninjer Turtles game.

jlued686

Of the games released right around launch, I think The Legendary Axe might've been the best choice. Hell, if Sega could get away with packing in Altered Beast, The Legendary Axe would've looked like an amazing deal.

Keith Courage wasn't a bad game, but it certainly wasn't a system-seller. I remember when I got my Turbo, I enjoyed it, but certainly wasn't blown away. Not that Legendary Axe would've knocked my socks off either. Too bad they didn't have Bonk at launch. That would've been the golden ticket.

Dyna138

Thanks guys.  :)

Quote from: ceti alphaYeah, KC definitely isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Was it the best choice for a pack-in game? That's another discussion. I personally love the music and sound on KC. Totally unique and Turbofied.
Yeah the music in Keith Courage is very catchy, I still remember the action stage theme. I'm gonna have to give this game another go again soon for nostalgia's sake.

I remember the cheesy TG16 commercials where they showed the last boss in Legendary Axe that's what made me want to get a Turbo when I was a kid. I think Bonk's Adventure would have made the best pack-in overall since Bonk was pretty much the Turbo's mascot, but I'm not sure if Bonk was a launch title or not.

nat

A pack-in is supposed to serve two purposes: sell systems, and give gamers a good first impression when they actually play, so they buy more games.

I think Keith Courage did an okay job giving gamers a good impression when they finally powered it up. There's no denying the graphics and music especially are distinctly "16-bit." I remember googling over how real the ice blocks looked in stage 5.

Where Keith Courage failed, is in selling systems. Before I owned a TG-16, I had never heard of Keith Courage. And even if I had, it's not the sort of game that I would've seen a screenshot of and said, "I want the Turbo over the Genesis." Keith Courage was a no-name game and virtually zero street buzz surrounding it.

In the case of SEGA and Altered Beast, I think things went the complete opposite direction. Everybody knew about Altered Beast because of the arcade. Altered Beast was a success in selling systems which is arguably more important than simply impressing the buyer, since once you've bought the system, there's a much better chance you're going to buy games for it.

Keith Courage is a decent (heck, even good) game, and it's clear to me the reason they picked it as a pack-in. Unfortunately, it was too obscure to successfully sell systems, which is really 3/4 of the battle. As soon as Bonk was released, they should have pulled Keith as the pack-in and replaced it with Bonk's Adventure like SEGA did with the Altered Beast/Sonic switch.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

CrackTiger

I think that R-Type would have made the best pack-in. As an impressive showcase of what the hardware could do and as far as name recognition, it was the highest profile game early on. Plus it would have had better word of mouth, as people would still be enjoying it far longer than Altered Beast.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Bernie

Quote from: guest on 06/04/2011, 01:16 PMI think that R-Type would have made the best pack-in. As an impressive showcase of what the hardware could do and as far as name recognition, it was the highest profile game early on. Plus it would have had better word of mouth, as people would still be enjoying it far longer than Altered Beast.
I second that.

thrush

I liked reading Nat's thoughts on this.

I also think CrackTiger may be onto something with R-Type.  I have noticed that the people I talk to about the PCE/TG16 in real life all mention this game....  I would think more people would associate Bonk with it, but so far R-Type is the only thing the uninitiated seem to know from the system at all.

blueraven

Was RTYPE released on the Genesis?

I DO NOT KNOW HUMAN

Dyna138

Quote from: thrush on 06/04/2011, 04:57 PMI also think Black Tiger may be onto something with R-Type.  I have noticed that the people I talk to about the PCE/TG16 in real life all mention this game....  I would think more people would associate Bonk with it, but so far R-Type is the only thing the uninitiated seem to know from the system at all.
For me its been Splatterhouse that most of my friends, who never owned a TG16, remember and associate the system with. It would have made a pretty killer pack-in I think.

Quote from: blueraven on 06/04/2011, 08:40 PMWas RTYPE released on the Genesis?

I DO NOT KNOW HUMAN
As far as I know R-type was released on the Master System and TG16, not the NES, SNES or Genesis.

roflmao

R-Type was what sold me on the system.  I had a Sega Master System and loved playing R-type and when I saw my friend's TG-16 playing R-Type (and HEARD it!) it blew my mind. 

As a pack in, though?  I don't know.  If you put your mind to it you can beat Keith Courage.  R-Type on the other hard is freakin' HARD.  And I think hardcore shmup fans have always been a pretty small group, though it was clearly one of the best early games for fans of that type of game.

I agree that they should have swapped out Keith Courage with Bonk's Adventue the SECOND it was available.

Arkhan Asylum

If I was coherent when the system launched, I myself would've been all over Keith Courage.  I'm probably in the minority on that though (I like Hydlide.  I'm fuckin stupid, remember?)..

It has =3 anime crap, robots, and walking handguns.   It's also got wonky music, sweet platforming/action, and some really random nonsense, like cats falling out of the sky.  I much prefer it over Altered Beast.

If the US was aware that the game was based off this (aka: If we had the show on TV in USA):
I'm pretty sure people would've at least known what the fuck the game was and been like OH COOL.  Cartoon game!

There weren't any US saturday morning cartoon games made (thank god.  I don't think a Thundercats game in the spirit of Dickwang Duck would have made anyone happy)

Legendary Axe would have been a better idea for a pack in, and the obvious bonk swap when possible. 

Also, calling Keith Courage something less moronic would have been a better idea too.  Something like "Legend of the Alpha Sword" or "Novaman vs the Machines" or something that sounds cool. 

Keith Courage sounds like some jackass you read about in an anti-drug cartoon in 4th grade.  KEITH COURAGE IS BRAVE ENOUGH TO SAY NO TO METH.  BE LIKE HIM KIDS.

Having RType as a pack-in wouldn't have helped probably.  I don't think shooter packins are system sellers, especially since most people I know blow at them or don't prefer them when given the choice of shooter or platformer/arcade beat em up.  RType is brutal.  Lots of little kids prefer jumping around as opposed to dodging things.

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 06/04/2011, 09:20 PMR-Type was what sold me on the system.  I had a Sega Master System and loved playing R-type and when I saw my friend's TG-16 playing R-Type (and HEARD it!) it blew my mind. 
I didn't even ever once played PCE R-Type, when I already knew that I must have this system one day. It was just a picture in one of the game mags back then in early 1988.

I was and still I am a huge R-Type fan. Played it on arcade, c64, sms and amiga. Needless to mention, that those PCE R-Type screen shots in that particular mag literally blew me out of my socks.

It crushed every to known port with a little wink.

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Dyna138 on 06/04/2011, 08:43 PMAs far as I know R-type was released on the Master System and TG16, not the NES, SNES or Genesis.
SNES did however get the amazing Super R-Type and R-Type III complete with Mode 7. 

Haha, no 8bet system can do mode7.

Why get a turbographix with regular old r-type when SNES has all the noor super ones with Mode7 and REAL 16-bit sownds???

Arkhan Asylum

RR1980

Quote from: guest on 06/05/2011, 03:49 PMIf I was coherent when the system launched, I myself would've been all over Keith Courage.  I'm probably in the minority on that though (I like Hydlide.  I'm fuckin stupid, remember?)..

It has =3 anime crap, robots, and walking handguns.   It's also got wonky music, sweet platforming/action, and some really random nonsense, like cats falling out of the sky.  I much prefer it over Altered Beast.

If the US was aware that the game was based off this (aka: If we had the show on TV in USA):
I'm pretty sure people would've at least known what the fuck the game was and been like OH COOL.  Cartoon game!

There weren't any US saturday morning cartoon games made (thank god.  I don't think a Thundercats game in the spirit of Dickwang Duck would have made anyone happy)

Legendary Axe would have been a better idea for a pack in, and the obvious bonk swap when possible. 

Also, calling Keith Courage something less moronic would have been a better idea too.  Something like "Legend of the Alpha Sword" or "Novaman vs the Machines" or something that sounds cool. 

Keith Courage sounds like some jackass you read about in an anti-drug cartoon in 4th grade.  KEITH COURAGE IS BRAVE ENOUGH TO SAY NO TO METH.  BE LIKE HIM KIDS.

Having RType as a pack-in wouldn't have helped probably.  I don't think shooter packins are system sellers, especially since most people I know blow at them or don't prefer them when given the choice of shooter or platformer/arcade beat em up.  RType is brutal.  Lots of little kids prefer jumping around as opposed to dodging things.
yeah the "Keith Courage" concept just came off really "Nancy Regean/just say no to drugs-ish" like a bunch of old people's idea of what the young'uns would like. Yeah Wataru was a really good anime series I have all three series on dvd with subtitles! :D

DirkFunk

R-Type would have made a fine pack in. . . except for the fact that the game is damn near impossible on the default setting. Which isn't a horrible thing, it makes you keep coming back. . . but if I got a TG16 back in the day with R-type, I may have thrown the damn thing out the window.

I think Legendary Axe would have been a great pack in. Blazing Lazers would have been great as well.

To me, Keith Courage is average at best. It's more tedious than fun. Granted, I didn't play it until 2007.

I'm not sure what the public opinion is on World Court Tennis, but I think that's a pretty sweet game that I'm guessing, most people write off.

CrackTiger

The average person would have found the arcade version of Altered Beast too challenging. It would have been easy to implement some minor options for R-Type if it was planned as a pack-in for North America. They already did a bunch of original programming for the NA version since the PCE version was two separate games.