Sony Screwing Up the PS3 Again

Started by TheClash603, 02/08/2011, 06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheClash603

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1148347p1.html

It seems that LG is calling to block the sale of the PS3.  While that most certainly won't happen, what will likely happen is a very expensive settlement, if LG's claims hold true.

Sony seems to steal all of their tech now-a-days, and they don't do a good job of hiding it or settling.  Dual-Shock anyone?  I can't wait til the PSP2 is just an iPod Touch with buttons glued on.

nectarsis

Fuuny these lawsuits take place how many years after a system launches.  Seems like a lot of "you're suing us so we'll counter sue for things not brought up until you sued first"  #-o

P.S. SO much of video game tech is stolen/"borrowed"/evolution of older ideas...REVOLUTIONARY is thrown around WAY to much IMO.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

NecroPhile

If there's any merit to the claim, Sony and LG will probably drop their respective suits and go about their business as if nothing happened; as is generally the case with patent wars, once again only the lawyers will win.

I'm not sure how Sony is "screwing up the PS3" here, as this lawsuit changes nothing about it, so I was expecting this thread to be about the rumor that Sony is going to start using serial keys to battle pirates (who will likely have some Cap'n Crunch to defeat this measure within a week anyway).  Since I buy games to keep it doesn't really make much difference to me, but at least half the new-game-playing-peeps that I know buy games new, beat 'em, then trade 'em in to get the newest shiny game.  Yet another blow to the used game market, as nobody will pay much for a potentially useless game; plus, what happens x years down the road?  At some point the verification servers will be taken offline, at which point you're shit out of luck.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BlueBMW

That is my primary concern with the whole serial key verification idea.  What happens when the company who runs the verification goes out of business or drops the service?  As a retro gamer this looks like it will be a big issue with some if these direct download systems (steam etc) in the future.  Fortunately, so far I have only had one game become unplayable due to the parent company shutting the servers down.  That game is Motor City Online.  I guess time will tell.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc