RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Turbo CD / PCE CDROM2 Broken Gear / Warmup Issue - Solutions in Development!

Started by BlueBMW, 03/08/2011, 01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

There are a few major failures that occur with Turbo CD and PCE CDROM2 units.  Historically, the most common failure has been the laser deteriorating to the point where it will no longer read.  The repair for this has been to replace the laser assembly which is still readily available for a reasonable price.  

Recently however, many have been experiencing two related issues.  One is a CDROM unit that will not start up at all.  Meaning the disc wont spin, the laser wont turn on, nothing happens at all except for a "0" on the readout.  The other issue is that some units will require a significant warm up time.  These two issues have been traced to the now infamous "middle gear" on the laser sled mechanism.  The gear will either seize up on its axle causing the warm up issue, or teeth will break off the gear rendering the entire unit inoperative.

In a unit where the gear has not broken yet, it has been determined that a relubrication using a safe plastic lubricant on the middle gear axle can extend the life of the unit and correct the warm up issue.  This however is not a permanent fix as the gears are still deteriorating and will inevitably break.

Many efforts have been made to find or manufacture replacement middle gears.  As of yet, none have succeeded in providing a cost effective solution.  Recently however, the tech crew here at PCEFX have been considering alternate methods of repairing this problem.

Finally, just today a completely new solution utilizing a not so new idea has been developed.  This process is currently undergoing extensive testing, but so far has proven reliable....

Introducing the CDROM3 Upgrade

This system eliminates the gear system completely and replaces it with a smooth and quiet belt system.  The major parts have been sourced.  The total cost of this repair will be under $10 for the parts.  This repair requires some skill to implement, and so should be done by one of the tech crew here.  We are currently testing this solution and also searching for better components, although the components we are using now are proving to be effective!  

Soon this repair service will be officially offered at a very low cost to PCEngineFX members in good standing.

Here are some pictures!

/pullymk2.jpg

/newfix.jpg
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

tsuran

Posting is overrated.

chop5

Gentlemen behold indeed! Looks great BMW. The simplicity and resourcefullness of eliminating the gear friction is a superior fix. Bravo  =D&gt;
We have the best tech team here! Soon all these tech problems will be a thing of the past. All of us working together can do wonders!
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
IMG
tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

staxx

I can't wait, I have this zombie TG16 CD rom just sitting here. It does have the gear intact though it seems dead, i.e. the laser doesn't even move nor does the CD spin. I was going to attempt to buy a new laser and replace it hoping for the best, but I wonder should I wait until this gear replacement service is available.

blueraven

This is excellent. A wonderful solution! This completely eliminates the need for the gear-driven system.  =D&gt;

:mrgreen:

grahf

Well damn, how about that. Nice work guys. This is such a simple but elegant solution to the gear sourcing problem.

I made a random comment a few days ago about how belt drives are usually the ones to wear out after 10+ years, but at least those can be replaced. The Famicom disk system is a good example. Pretty much all of those have bad belts now, but a new belt can be bought for a few dollars (and should last another decade).

Opethian

IMG

NecroPhile

Fantastic, gents!  Hopefully you'll be saving many TG-CDs from the scrap heap, providing years of additional OBEY time.  =D&gt;
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keith Courage

I applaud all the work being done here and love the new belt drive concept. Does it work well? I'd be curious to hear what it sounds like when running. However, I also want to say that I had my CD drive fixed by that guy on ebay a while ago and I have not had any problems at all. So the two gear fix definitely works without any issues whatsoever, at least the way he does it. I understand that maybe people here do not like him because of not sharing his idea or showing how he gets it done but it is a solid fix in my opinion. Maybe other people here can figure out what else needs to be adjusted or changed to get the gear idea working?

BlueBMW

The dislike comes from the ebay guy charging so much.  My fix is cheap and will remain cheap.  If someone wants to be a test unit with this system please send me a PM.

As far as noise... its dead silent.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

RR1980

that's some voodoo shit right here! haha just kidding you guys are awesome! :)

blueraven

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/08/2011, 10:08 AMAs far as noise... its dead silent.
:shock: Well, I daresay you may have IMPROVED the design! An engineering feat!

Charlie

Well, damn!

I made a comment in reference to this in another thread before I got to this one, and here is more of the same.

Please see my other post, which references replacing the entire mechanism.

More pictures of the whole mechanism would be appreciated (in a similar detail/closeup level as these current pics)

Charlie

incrediblehark

awesome developments guys! I'm all for the belt cdrom, whatever extends our usage of the pc engine or turbo cd is all that matters!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BlackandBlue

Very nice indeed.  Hopefully the belt doesn't disintegrate like the FDS belt does over time.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

spenoza

Quote from: BlackandBlue on 03/15/2011, 05:23 PMVery nice indeed.  Hopefully the belt doesn't disintegrate like the FDS belt does over time. 
Any belt is going to deteriorate over time. That's unavoidable. But once the gears have been modified replacing the belt should be an easy thing, so long as there are available belts of an appropriate size.

How is the belt being chosen? Is it a standard size that will be easy to procure? Are the belts properly made to resist premature stretching? I realize that them stretching over time is pretty unavoidable, just like their structural deterioration, but it would be nice to know that they were belts built for this kind of purpose and not just glorified rubber bands.

PunkCryborg

If the belts are easy to source, maybe it would be nice to put a spare in a small ziploc inside the cd-rom unit case for future replacement. If they are stored in some talc powder it would preserve them for a long time like a turntable belt.

BlueBMW

The belts we're using now are adequate, but I'm searching for better ones.  I'm working on streamlining the parts so I can offer a kit with extra belts if needed.  Still should be less than $10 a kit

grahf

Senshi

PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

VestCunt

This news is flippin' sweet, don't get me wrong, but I still hope Official Ninja is able to make a replacement gear.  It would be really nice to have both options.
Topic Adjourned.

BlueBMW

I think our goal here is to offer as many solutions as possible.  I hope to put the cdrom3 solution into large scale production within the next few weeks

spenoza

Gee, all I need now is a Japanese CD-ROM + super system card or super CD-ROM unit and I'll be set.

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 03/19/2011, 12:31 PMGee, all I need now is a Japanese CD-ROM + super system card or super CD-ROM unit and I'll be set.
I've got a spare pce system 3.0 card if you need it.  Just let me know!

OldMan

QuoteI hope to put the cdrom3 solution into large scale production within the next few weeks
Sign me up for some them. And let me know if you need the $$ ahead of time.

spenoza

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/19/2011, 03:17 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/19/2011, 12:31 PMGee, all I need now is a Japanese CD-ROM + super system card or super CD-ROM unit and I'll be set.
I'll be interested as soon as I can find a reasonably priced CD unit for my PCE Core.

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 03/20/2011, 12:33 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/19/2011, 03:17 PM
I'll be interested as soon as I can find a reasonably priced CD unit for my PCE Core.
Ahh so you have an IFU already?  Maybe we could work a deal for you to torture test one of these repaired CDROMs for me :P

spenoza

Let me rephrase. I have only a poor little Core. It wants some CD-ROM love, but it doesn't yet have it. That said, if anyone wants to equip me with a "refurb" I've love to take it high-speed through some turns (of a CD spindle).

Charlie

==>"CDROM3"....love it<==

Maybe not quite.  Sony had an almost identical belt drive on their legacy (VERY legacy) portable CD players.  Abandon because of belt breakage....although I would imagine that belt technology has improved a lot since then.  And, of course, us TG lovers would have no problem replacing said belt ourselves whenever necessary, so breakage is really only a small problem.

Maybe it's "CDROM 0"?

Charlie

spenoza

Naw, what with versioning trends these days it would be more like CD-ROM2.1259.

pceslayer

Where do I sign up!?

I have 3 dead drives in various condition :/

Charlie

Nah!  "2.1259" is too mundane.  Maybe...."pi", or "e"...or how about  "log {something}"?

Charlie

BlueBMW

esteban

I think CD-ROMCD-ROMCD-ROM would be most appropriate.

Word up, as it were. :)

spenoza

I think CD-ROMCD-ROM would be sufficient, because then you could put your rapper mathematician voice on and say "CD-ROM to tha CD-ROM, yo!"

Charlie

esteban

Marll

Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

BlueBMW

I've found some better belts and have them on order.  Should have an update soon!

incrediblehark

jut got a cdrom and might need it repaired too, looking forward to your progress! keep up the good work guys.

TGX16

Just got a CDrom2 from HK and opend it up....man are those gears small (lol) looking on your pics they look a lot bigger than that.
Well anyway when you have made a kit BlueBMW sign me up for two!! got another on the way from JP both are "junk"
Bought them with the thought of repairing them one to use and one spare.

megamatt

Hello all, I actually found this forum because my TurboCD unit has this infamous "warm-up" problem and a quick search brought me here. If someone has a personal repair service up and running yet, and it's available to noobs here, let me know  :)

Keith Courage

I recently got myself a used pcengine CD drive and it is displaying signs of this warm up issue. The problem is definitely not the gears since they move freely every time I turn on the drive. Pretty much what happens is on a cold start the drive will play an Audio CD no problem. I can change to any track with ease and have no skipping whatsoever. However when I hit start on my pcengine to play a CD game it just turns off over and over as it tries to read the CD. After about 3-5 minutes of doing this it starts to work just fine. Any ideas anyone on what the problem could be?

thesteve

any way to make this set fit?
this is a pioneer DEH-1000 car cd player sled drive

Mathius

turbogrfxfan

This is awesome news!  knowing that it can be fixed pretty easily gives a sigh of relief. Word up!
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Bernie

Awesome news indeed.  I been wanting to possibly purchase a Turbo Grafx 16/CD set-up, but held back due to all the issues they had now.  This makes me change my mind.  I always thought they looked cool the way they bundled together.

soop

Man, this is awesome  :D  I just got a briefcase system where the seller claimed it was a faulty laser.

Not only did I pick up a laser for £6 (well fingers crossed), I turned it on yesterday, and it's a motor issue!  Even easier!  As soon as Blue gets this going, I'm set  8)

Of course, it may have a laser issue too...
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

chop5

ive been keeping this under my hat for a while. but now with all the generosity being shown on here and sharing i feel like its ok for me to show it.
like bmw said these are new developments to fix a common problem. i had developed a 2 gear solution or zombie gear last year and only offered the repair to a couple of people here. i gave up on developing the second gear further as it gave me problems and was just difficult in general for me. if its difficult for me in the slightest i cannot offer it to clients. So i abandoned it and developed this,gentlemen behold......THE PHAT GEAR!

IMG

its already been tested for months on multiple cd/pce systems and for a handful of customers. this fix is ready to go.
this is a drop in solution requiring no modification at all and is not an improvement like the pully and belt drive or a second gear. its exactly the same as the old middle gear. This will solve stuck gears,fear of moving a stuck gear,broken gear and other problems. does not cure laser death. does make it sound a bit loud but it does no harm to the machine and is the price to pay for resurrection.

kits will be provided as well as the actual change service soon but i doubt anyone will be interested in this.

this may be my last project here as there's no more pce related problems to conquer. and of course as the universal law goes,the one who develops it will never benefit from it. almost kinda pointless because it costed me a small fortune and more important vast amounts of time to develop and get right but its done because i wish it so.
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
IMG
tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie